PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2011 Free Agent "Let's Sign This Guy" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it's true. You are DB Too? Amazing.

I really don't understand the grammar or perhaps point you are attempting here. If you are going that way about the CBA, how about the effect of a Draft? While you are pounding on your chest for some reason, you forgot to mention the dynamics of that event.

If you are trying to say BB had a hell of a Draft in 2010 I would agree. 58% first year success over a league average 17%. Let's not get to excited. That will not happen every year although one can hope it will.

Fact is this years class is about on the level of 2006. Depressing!

Also his 2010 Draft only Defensive rebuild? I see McCourty as the only starter from the 2010 class until Spikes suites up. Ninkovitch, Warren, Arrington, ST LB White, Moore and Page say howdy! Pretty decent pieces on our 2010 Defense and ST play I contend, Cousin. For that matter, 24 players on the active roster were trades or FA pick ups. Kind of pretty even split I'd say. Let's contemplate this " Draft choice or nothing " scenario.
DW Toys
I'm DB too pal, if it were so easy to win with your philosophy teams would be doing it. The truth is it has Never worked so why do you keep insisting that the way to build a championship team is by trading away draft picks and buying a team?

Last edited:
I think you have highlighted something that alot of people forget when looking at he success this season. 2 big contributors to the Pats defense our starting RCB Bodden and starting LDE Warren Will be back... they are 2 huge additions to this team and will add a veteran presence to a young defense that had to pick up the slack this year.

Here's the problem though, you can't assume two 30 year old players will be back ready to go performing just as well as they did prior to their injury. I expect Arrington / Butler to surpass an older, one year out football Bodden. Not sure where Warren's head is at, considering he skipped an offseason to worry about his life out football and get a degree. Patriots definitely need to address corner and defensive end in the upcoming draft or free agency.

A few names I like that, keeping it realistic:
Re-sign Mankins, first off. Franchise him if you have to, keep trying to work something out long term with him too.
Pierre Thomas or Ricky Williams on a pretty cheap deal at RB.
Stealing Shaun Ellis from the Jets on the D-Line.
Matt Roth at OLB. Some interest in Manny Lawson too.

I got 2 guys on my radar:

Pierre Thomas. Rumor has it Belichick tried to trade for Thomas before the trading deadline. He's been hurt all year, so he'll carry less of a price tag. Great playmaking back provided his reps are monitered. He'd be the perfect backup to BJGE and Woodhead.

I'm a fan of Pierre Thomas. He can make plays both running the ball and catching the ball. A versatile type of back. With the emergency of Chris Ivory, I think Thomas becomes expendable for the Saints. I'm just worried that Thomas might be injury prone. We don't want to acquire a fragile type of back considering that Taylor and Morris are super nondurable. If his medicals check out Pierre Thomas might be worth a late round pick. Maybe a 6th or 7th? The thing is that even though he's an RFA, Pierre Thomas went undrafted, so I really don't know what compensation the Saints would get if any if the Pats tried to claim him. I guess they could throw in the late pick so the Saints don't match the offer.

Last edited:
A few names I like that, keeping it realistic:
Re-sign Mankins, first off. Franchise him if you have to, keep trying to work something out long term with him too.
Pierre Thomas or Ricky Williams on a pretty cheap deal at RB.
Stealing Shaun Ellis from the Jets on the D-Line.
Matt Roth at OLB. Some interest in Manny Lawson too.

Manny Lawson was a beast on my madden team so he must be awesome irl too. SIGN HIM.

Honestly though, I don't think our team needs too much out of FA, even with a 'only decent' draft we're still in pretty awesome shape for next season assuming nobody too important severely regresses. I want to resign our own important FA's, specifically Logan Mankins. The attitude (and raw talent/skill) he brings is far too important to pass up, no matter how good Connolly played in his place. Connolly may very well have to be the RG next year anyways.

From our own guys, I'd like to see Mankins re-signed to a 5-6yr deal, Light to a 2-3 yr deal, and even though he's a RFA, I feel Law Firm has earned a 2yr extension similar to Woodhead's. Another player that hasn't been mentioned much on this thread is Jarrad Page. IMO, I see McGowan gone this offseason so having a guy like Page in the fold alongside Sanders, Chung, Merriweather, and (possibly) Sergio Brown would be ideal. I also feel that (pending on their playoff performances) G Warren and Eric Moore should be brought back on short term deals.

As for other FAs, realistically, I could see us getting one of John Kuhn or Michael Bush and maybe Pat Williams if he's at that point mentally where he just wants to win a ring.

On another note, if we were to somehow acquire Haloti Ngata, I would splooge in my pants...:singing:Seriously, that type of acquistion would make my whole offseason much like the Sox getting Crawford and A Gonz.:rocker:

OT: LB Julian Peterson will be released

Link: Lions LB Julian Peterson will be released in offseason

Peterson's production did not match his inflated salary. He might seek to go somewhere to have a chance at a ring. At 32, he might not have too much left but I think he would be a good situational pass rusher for NE.

Re: OT: LB Julian Peterson will be released

Oh Lord, its started already.. the "xxxx player will be released, lets sign" thread..

Dear lord, no.

Sustained success is achieved by continually "shaking the bushes". Salary reasons aside, I would not be dissappointed to see a 5-time probowl pass-rusher added to the squad, why is that so far-fetched? I am a big fan of bringing in aging veteran players who iare hungry for a ring and can help steer the young crew manning the ship.

Julian Peterson sucks, and has for some time. He's a huge part of the reason the Jets beat the Lions a few weeks ago. No way. No. Just no.

Sustained success is achieved by continually "shaking the bushes". Salary reasons aside, I would not be dissappointed to see a 5-time probowl pass-rusher added to the squad, why is that so far-fetched? I am a big fan of bringing in aging veteran players who iare hungry for a ring and can help steer the young crew manning the ship.

Sustained success is not, however, achieved by signing players who suck.

Adalius Thomas redux at a latter age. No frickin' way!

Sustained success is not, however, achieved by signing players who suck.

Does he suck more than Marques Murrell?

He is weak and 1 dimensional. He cannot do the things this coaching staff would ask of him. He can't set the edge and he can't hold the point of attack. He can't play in multiple formations. The list goes on and on. Next................

ST player of the month, Brad Smith would be a good signing.

Last edited:
I'd like us to take a look at Manny Lawson. Another fav of mine.

Priority 1..Mankins
Priority 2...extension to Welker
Priority 3...First and 4th to AZ for Fitzgerald
Priority 4...trade Meriweather

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes