PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2011 Free Agent "Let's Sign This Guy" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 2010 Free Agent "Let's Sign This Guy" Thread

There is going to be no big FA signing. The two biggest FA signing in the BB era were Moss and AD and both turned out to be nothing but trouble.

Rodney Harrison and Rosey Colvin both think you are insane.. Especially since Moss was traded for.

Assuming Law-Firm resigns, Mankins resigns (I think he will), realistically I'd like to see

1. Pat Williams (cheap vet, used to 4-3, but I think he can make the transition and/or play in goal line/ run packages)

2. LaMarr Woodley/ Tamba Hali (one big name edge rusher, I'd prefer Hali, but see no way the Chiefs let him go, Woodley is more realistic)

3. Takeo Spikes (another vet who might be sick of losing, would be a great presence for Brandon Spikes and Jerod Mayo)

4. Champ Bailey (another vet who might be sick of losing... yada yada)

5. Matthew Prater (if the Ghost is done here, I'd like to see another young'n with a huge leg brought in)

BJGE is an RFA. He's not a UFA.. He's not going anywhere.

Mankins will probably be franchised if the Pats can't reach a contract with him.

Why would people think that Gostkowski is done? He just signed an extension.

Pat Williams is going to be 39 mid-season... I don't see the Pats investing in him..

Signing Bailey is just silly..

I don't see Woodley or Hali being allowed to hit free agency.

Moss was fine for 3 years, and AD was as well.
BTW, Moss was not a FA

Moss was traded to the Patriots for the '07 season, but then at the end of the season, when his original contract expired, signed a 3 year contract. That was the FA signing (in '08).

AD was "fine" because there was a solid veteran presence in the locker room keeping everyone in line.

I would take Tolbert but with so many draft picks..they dont need big time free agents

Tolbert is a FB.. It's not like he'll be getting 3 -4 million a year..

I actually don't think that's a big deal. With all those guys being FAs they'll want to sign back together (barring Mankins of course, although I do believe the success we're having right now will help negotiations on BOTH sides). The comraderie on that line is as strong as any other on the team.

First off, they are not all free agents. Only Light and Mankins are UFA. Koppen played like garbage until Mankins returned..

Neal and Kaczur are both injury risks.. I could see one or BOTH hanging it up if the Pats win the SB..

Rodney Harrison and Rosey Colvin both think you are insane.. Especially since Moss was traded for.

Harrison and Colvin were signed to fair value contracts, not tens of millions of dollars.

Moss was traded for, but like I previously mentioned, he became a FA at the end of that season and signed with the Pats for 3 more years.

Are you serious? That's right we don't want too much talent on the team, do we? I'll tell you why they would be remotely interested. He's one of if not the best cover corners in the NFL so that should peak their interest a little. He is a high character player that the Pats like and played FS in college so there is position flexibility. McCourty is great but I don't think you'd pass up NA because of Bodden- 30 yo coming of a year on IR, Butler or Arrington. Do I have to explain to you why the Pats might look at Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald or Demarcus Ware or Haloti Ngata IF they were availiable?

Guess you missed Belichick's mantra... "We're not collecting talent. We're building a team."

Why do people think that Bodden, at age 30 who is coming off a SHOULDER injury" is going to have problems returning to form?? Seriously?? I heard this BS and no one has had a single legit reason as to why he wouldn't come back 100%.

Guess you missed Belichick's mantra... "We're not collecting talent. We're building a team."

Why do people think that Bodden, at age 30 who is coming off a SHOULDER injury" is going to have problems returning to form?? Seriously?? I heard this BS and no one has had a single legit reason as to why he wouldn't come back 100%.

Shoulder injuries, especially ones that sideline a player for a season, can be much trickier than you're giving them credit for. And Bodden is in a position where he has to make a lot of tackles. I'm not saying that he won't return to form, because he will. The question is: will he return to full health for an entire season?

Let's sign that big 6'5" 320 lb. guy.

Eric Weddle and Richard Marshall

Mankins
BJGE
Faulk (1-2 year deal only)
Light (1-2 year deal only)

John Kuhn

I may be very wrong about this but...

I think Champ Bailey wanted to move to safety in an effort to prolong his career. I believe I read this somewhere, but am too lazy to find the source.

Either way he probably won't come cheap.

Not on my wish list, but given the mutual love fest between him and BB, it wouldn't surprise me if Ochocinco is brought in on an incentive laden deal ala TO the last few years at his various stops.

Last edited:
Peyton Manning so he can be Tommy's backup :p , anyways, we HAVE to keep Mankins! Get a OLB and maybe a WR, assuming BB drafts as good as he did it the past draft, the Pats will be even stronger next year!!!!!

Not on my wish list, but given the mutual love fest between him and BB, it wouldn't surprise me if Ochocinco is brought in on an incentive laden deal ala TO the last few years at his various stops.

took the words out of my mouth. Would not be surprised. In the slightest.

Only caveat being the depth we already have at WR.

I was actually talking to my friend about Ngata yesterday....I would give up a 1st and 2nd round pick for Ngata....He is a MONSTER.....He can play the run, rush the passer, do it all.....He is the only raven that I like and adding a CB + pass rushing OLB we would be set for the next 5 years on defense.....

If he's so good, why would Al Davis set him loose? Overpaying is never a problem for Al.

The guy I'd like to get from Oakland is Michael Bush.

100% agree on Bush.

I'd also like to see the Pats take a run at David Harris. I know ILB isn't a need but it would be fun to see the Jets forums explode and it would also make the Jets pay a premium for Harris's services and when the cap returns the Jets are going to have to make some tough decisions.

Last edited:
100% agree on Bush.

I'd also like to see the Pats take a run at David Harris. I know ILB isn't a need but it would be fun to see the Jets forums explode and it would also make the Jets pay a premium for Harris's services and when the cap returns the Jets are going to have to make some tough decisions.

I was all for drafting Bush out of college and he would fit in nicely.

I think that everyone is in agreement that re-signing Mankins would be the absolute best FA move that Pats could make. Harken back to last year, could you imagine how screwed the Pats would be if they did not re-sign Vince? That was an absolute must last year, and I think re-signing Mankins this year is akin to that.

The FA market is going to be slowed/stopped until a new CBA is signed.

I think after going through the exercise of reclaiming his locker room Bill is done with reclamation projects and veteran FA with the exception of the occasional gap to be plugged (like he did with Alge this season). It's easier to grow your own and teach 'em right from day 1 than knock heads trying to overcome ingrained behaviors. He has a solid foundation at the moment and a new corps of albeit young leaders. FA is a crap shoot largely as risky as drafting the unknown and a lot more expensive. You never know how a guy will perform in this system until you test him out.

As for Ricky and Ocho, don't remotely see them as fits here. Ricky in part because of what he said this week, throwing his HC under the bus for being too detail oriented...and going on and on about what he wants for his benefit. Ocho's antics are funny from a distance. He's not a bad guy but he's a lousy teamate and too focused on his own self promotion to ever become just a quiet cog in a wheel that is bigger than himself...

Guys like Rosie and Rodney and Welker are few and far between. They were willing and able to let everything they'd ever understood go in favor of what he wanted them to do and how he wanted it done. There are less and less players in this league willing to be subjugated at that juncture in their career. Unless you find a guy like Alge who isn't looking for one or two more paychecks so much as a real shot at the brass ring. Or a guy like Vrabel who was so under the radar fans thought little of his acquisition...

Chemistry and fit trump hypable talent in this system, period. Doesn't mean he still won't admire it and speak glowingly enough about it to make persuing it seem like a grand idea to fans. Just think he has learned some tough lessons over the last couple of seasons that will make him less inclined to roll the dice for talent via trade or FA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes