PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2009 NFL blackout chances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disco Volante

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Blackout blues? NFL ticket sales slumping in some cities - USATODAY.com

• Arizona Cardinals: Too early to tell. Sold out all regular-season games in three-year history of University of Phoenix Stadium.
• Atlanta Falcons: Anticipate all eight games sold out.
• Baltimore Ravens: Sold out all eight games.
• Buffalo Bills: Four sold out. Anticipate all seven games sold out by early October. (Does not include Dec. 3 game in Toronto.)
• Carolina Panthers: Blackouts unlikely.
• Chicago Bears: Anticipate all eight games sold out.
• Cincinnati Bengals: Too early to tell. "Hopeful of selling out the entire schedule," spokesman Jack Brennan said by e-mail. Have had 44 consecutive sellouts, but did not sell out first preseason home game.
• Cleveland Browns: Too early to tell. Have sold out four games.
• Dallas Cowboys: No blackouts expected as they open new stadium.
• Denver Broncos: Sold out all eight games.
• Detroit Lions: Too early to tell. Had five blackouts last season.
• Green Bay Packers: Sold out all eight games.
• Houston Texans: Sold out all eight games.
• Indianapolis Colts: Sold out all eight games.
• Jacksonville Jaguars: Blackouts are likely. Team spokesman Dan Edwards said by e-mail they are "not certain how many."
• Kansas City Chiefs: Spokesman Bob Moore said by e-mail they don't expect any blackouts "at this time." They have sold out 149 consecutive regular-season and playoff games.
• Miami Dolphins: Spokesman Harvey Greene said by e-mail they don't expect blackouts, but he was unable to rule them out. Said Green, "We are working hard to insure all our home games are televised locally."
• Minnesota Vikings: Too early to tell.
• New York Giants: Sold out all eight games.
• New York Jets: Anticipate all eight games sold out.
• New England Patriots: Sold out all eight games.
• New Orleans Saints: Sold out all eight games.
• Oakland Raiders: Too early to tell. Had two blackouts last year and Saturday's preseason game was blacked out.
• Philadelphia Eagles: Sold out all eight games.
• Pittsburgh Steelers: Sold out all eight games.
• San Diego Chargers: Team COO Jim Steeg said in early August that "blackouts are likely."
• San Francisco 49ers: Declined to share details of ticket sales.
• Seattle Seahawks: Sold out all eight games.
• St. Louis Rams: Had two blackouts last year. Spokesman Ted Crews said the team is "focused on selling out all our games" and will release details on a week-by-week basis.
• Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Too early to tell. Spokesman Jeff Kamis said the team is "hopeful there will be no blackouts." (Does not include Oct. 25 game in London.)
• Tennessee Titans: Sold out all eight games.
• Washington Redskins: Sold out all eight games.

I think blackouts are ridiculous.

I live in Michigan so I think blackouts are great, all the teams from my area suck. Almost every week I have to suffer watching the Lions, Bengals, Browns, Bears, and any other mediocre Midwest team. Plus Steeler games are ALWAYS on because there are more bandwagon ****tsburg fans here than all of the previous mentioned teams combined.

I think I was only able to watch around 5 or 6 Patriot games last year.

Last edited:
As an out-of-town fan, I also detest the "other" NFL television blackout rule. Even when a team does sell out its game, the NFL does not allow for any other games to be broadcast at the same time. In other words the revenue from ticket sales is not enough; they want to insure you go to the game and spend more money, and not be tempted to stay at home and watch a more compelling game that might be on TV at the same time.

Seems pretty outdated since fans can easily go to a sports bar to watch the other game (if they don't already have Sunday Ticket at home.) I can't imagine the rule is making very many people attend a local game they weren't going to bother to go to, because some other NFL game was (or was not) on another local TV channel. If fans are really that much more interested in the other game (rather than the local one they already have tickets for), then they are going to find a place to watch that other game.

Blackouts are the NFL's way of saying local fans don't make enough money to be important to them. As a fan, I find that preposterous, presumptuous, and just plain insulting.

There are a lot of folks I know who would love to go to the games, but just can't risk spending the money at the moment. In a currently economically challenged area like Jacksonville (it's a boom/bust wave they are riding) it's a slap to the fans to tell them that, sorry, you guys aren't important to us because you don't have enough cash to buy tickets.

If the NFL really was valuing it's fan base, they'd get rid of the black-out rule.

Blackouts aren't just about the money generated by selling tickets but also by the gametime atmosphere of having a full stadium. How necessary are they ? I have no idea but watching NFL games with consistenly half empty stadiums would make it a lesser sport in person and on TV.

Me personally, I haven't been to a game since the NYG game in 2003, I'm happy paying my $250 or so for the NFL Season Ticket and not paying the crazy prices for parking, etc.

I don't have a dog in the hunt on the "blackouts are good" vs. "blackouts are bad" debate. I can see it either way.

But, what I do find interesting from that list is that so many cities, including a place like San Diego with franchise players like Rivers and LT, can't generate enough local interest to fill a stadium for eight games. Makes me wonder how a new league is going to survive and probably strengthens the owners' position going into the CBA. Also, makes me think that it's not too long before one of those teams starts thinking that Los Angeles, with all of its historical issues related to an NFL franchise (including the local strength of the NCAA), will look attractive to someone at some point.

Also, aside from scheduling convenience, this makes me think that there is nothing magic about a 32 franchise league.

Last edited:
I think that owners who can't sell the tix this season are more likely to eschew buying them up and donating them to keep the game on TV because blackouts make for great CBA negotion fodder.

I see blackouts as a very reasonable response to fans choosing not to buy tickets. Since when did watching the NFL game being played locally on TV become a right?

Living in southern California (Orange County) we are subject to the Charger games. Without a local team, the Chargers claim LA as their "home territory." I hate having the only choice on TV being the Chargers and Raiders. If they both are blacked out then hopefully we would have a better game on. I would think that without a local team, we would get the marquis matchups, but local broadcasts are terrible. I usually go to the local sports bar to watch the Patriots. So fans of these other teams have that option. If you really want to see games there are ways of doing so.

Living in southern California (Orange County) we are subject to the Charger games. Without a local team, the Chargers claim LA as their "home territory." I hate having the only choice on TV being the Chargers and Raiders. If they both are blacked out then hopefully we would have a better game on. I would think that without a local team, we would get the marquis matchups, but local broadcasts are terrible. I usually go to the local sports bar to watch the Patriots. So fans of these other teams have that option. If you really want to see games there are ways of doing so.

I live in SD and I hope all Charger gamesare blacked out.Maybe we will get more Patriots games.

I live in SD and I hope all Charger gamesare blacked out.Maybe we will get more Patriots games.
Don't hold your breath. Based on the way the schedule is, right now there's not one single additional Pats game that would be televised in your area due to the Chargers not selling out. It's possible that could change with flex scheduling in the second half of the season, but as of this moment Charger blackouts are not going to get you more Pats games.

You're definitely going to get week 1 MNF vs Bills; possibly week 2 vs Jets (or Oak-KC); possibly week 3 vs Atl (or SF-Min); possibly week 4 vs Ravems (or Oak-Hou or Ten-Jax); probably week 5 vs Broncos (or Hou-Ari); probably week 6 vs Ten (or Buf-Jets); no way week 7 vs Bucs; possibly week 9 vs Miami (or Hou-Ind, KC-Jax, Bal-Cin); definitely week 10 SNF vs Colts; no way week 11 vs Jets; definitely week 12 MNF vs Saints; definitely week 13 SNF vs Miami; possibly week 14 vs Panthers (or one of 5 other early Fox games); no way week 15 vs Bills; doubtful week 16 vs Jax; doubtful week 17 vs Houston.

So you're in pretty good shape with 4 definites, 2 probables, 5 maybes, 2 doubtfuls, and 3 no chances; probably get to see the Pats 8 or 9 times. But the Chargers being blacked out won't affect you seeing the Pats one way or the other.

I remember the good ole' old days when there were a few Pats games were blacked out. They were so bad back then. Thank god I was in college and could just drink away the Sundays!!!!

Last edited:
I wonder if the popularity of Sports Bars that have the NFL package is hurting attendance in some of these cities. The price to go to an NFL game is astronomical. It's cheaper to go to a sports bar and not have to pay for parking, pay $10.00 for a watered down beer or deal with the crowds. I go watch every game at the OC Sports Grille even if the Patriots are on national TV. Lots of fun, cute waitresses, and you get to see replays. And the one that I go allows kids on Sunday day games, so we make it a family outing.

Blackouts don't make much sense because a fan can always catch the game on the radio. I actually mute the TV when watching and listen to Gil and Gino.

San Francisco 49ers: Declined to share details of ticket sales.

That's funny. :rofl:

Shouldn't the threat of blackouts also indicate that ticket prices need to go down as well? Not that having low ticket prices in Detroit will change things much when they went 0-16 last season but still in this economy wouldn't it be better to lose a little money on getting people in the door than to have those same seats empty?

Crazy talk I know.... :wha:

Shouldn't the threat of blackouts also indicate that ticket prices need to go down as well? Not that having low ticket prices in Detroit will change things much when they went 0-16 last season but still in this economy wouldn't it be better to lose a little money on getting people in the door than to have those same seats empty?

Crazy talk I know.... :wha:

Definetly, say you lower ticket prices by 20%, in some cities like Detroit or Jacksonville you might 10% more tickets sold. That covers most of the cost, and those extra 10% have to pay for parking, for food, drinks and maybe some merchandise sales.

Its a win-win situation.

Definetly, say you lower ticket prices by 20%, in some cities like Detroit or Jacksonville you might 10% more tickets sold. That covers most of the cost, and those extra 10% have to pay for parking, for food, drinks and maybe some merchandise sales.

Its a win-win situation.

Vikings actually did a few promotions running including:

- $44 ticket to the home opener against the 49ers. Ticket also included free parking and $20 concession stand voucher. Seat locations were the middle rows in the upper deck which is pretty decent for cheap seats.

- Half off season ticket packages.

.... then August 18th (aka "Favre Day") happened. Sometime between 10 AM to 11 AM that day both those promotions suddenly were yanked away completely.

On a related note - this morning a guy at my work was looking through the Milwaukee paper, and read that on this day in 1964 the Beatles played a show in Milwaukee. The tickets cost $5.50. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes