PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2009 Draft Wet Dream

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, he was a reach. The Pats had to take him at #10 because "supposedly" the Lions were going to take him at #17. As much as I wanted the Pats to improve their LB's, there wasn't anybody worthy of taking at the #10 spot. But I will admit, I wanted the Pats to take Vernon Gholston if he slid to #7 with Clady in a close 2nd.

That is the stupidest thing I have ever read. Why would you chance not getting your hands on the rookie of the year? How can you call the rookie of the year a "reach". Doesn't the title itself lend credence to the fact that if anything he was a value pick? The Pats clearly evaluated his talent level correctly whose to say the teams picking past ten did not?

That is the stupidest thing I have ever read. Why would you chance not getting your hands on the rookie of the year? How can you call the rookie of the year a "reach". Doesn't the title itself lend credence to the fact that if anything he was a value pick? The Pats clearly evaluated his talent level correctly whose to say the teams picking past ten did not?
And what I highlighted in bold doesn't sound stupid? Did the Pats know that before they drafted him? I'm not looking in hindsight. Mayo was a reach at the time and I feel he was still a reach because of the dire need of ILB by the Pats. The Bengals took Rivers and the Lions were "interested" in Mayo so the Pats had to pull the trigger. He ended up winning rookie of the year because he basically had the most tackles which probably would've gone to Rivers who was outperforming him in the "tackles" department before his injury. I will give him a pass this season because he was injured and probably shouldn't have played until mid season. However, this is the year where he finally makes an impact other than tackling players 5+ yards downfield yet people overrate him because he has a lot of "tackles".

Last edited:
And what I highlighted in bold doesn't sound stupid? Did the Pats know that before they drafted him? I'm not looking in hindsight. Mayo was a reach at the time and I feel he was still a reach because of the dire need of ILB by the Pats. The Bengals took Rivers and the Lions were "interested" in Mayo so the Pats had to pull the trigger. He ended up winning rookie of the year because he basically had the most tackles which probably would've gone to Rivers who was outperforming him in the "tackles" department before his injury. I will give him a pass this season because he was injured and probably shouldn't have played until mid season. However, this is the year where he finally makes an impact other than tackling players 5+ yards downfield yet people overrate him because he has a lot of "tackles".

You're right, I hate when my MLB makes "tackles" truly annoying. Especially when they are all over the field hogging tackles like when he had 20 tackles against the Jets. I mean, come on, spread the wealth a little! There are 11 players on D Mayo its not all about you! Its not a "reach" if the assessment is accurate and it clearly was in Mayo case.

On Draft Day noone is a reach IMO. The NFL GM's know more than the popular opinion draft minds. How's he a reach if he's high on BB board. He's a reach on Mel Kiper the Idiots board, but who cares?

On Draft Day noone is a reach IMO. The NFL GM's know more than the popular opinion draft minds. How's he a reach if he's high on BB board. He's a reach on Mel Kiper the Idiots board, but who cares?

I dunno, I'd rather have Mike Mayock running my team's draft than Al Davis or Martin Mayhew....

At the outset of the offseason I never figured we would see Brandon Spikes in a Patriots uniform. He looked like a surefire late 1st rounder if only due to the level of talent in the draft and given his position taking him at 22 would be a misuse of resources. 3 months later and it looks like he has no chance of cracking the 3rd round and with the Pats look primed to do even more dealing on draft day than last year they could be in prime position to add a quality player to their defensive front 7. I hope they get him.

You're right, I hate when my MLB makes "tackles" truly annoying. Especially when they are all over the field hogging tackles like when he had 20 tackles against the Jets. I mean, come on, spread the wealth a little! There are 11 players on D Mayo its not all about you! Its not a "reach" if the assessment is accurate and it clearly was in Mayo case.
You clearly aren't getting it, but it's okay. Mayo tackles players, but he's slow to react which is why most of his tackles come 4-5 yards downfield. Having a lot of tackles are overrated. In addition, he doesn't offer anything for this team in the passing game. You'd expect more out of him being the 10th overall pick. Again, to be fair, the I thought the Bengals reached for Rivers as well.

You clearly aren't getting it, but it's okay. Mayo tackles players, but he's slow to react which is why most of his tackles come 4-5 yards downfield. Having a lot of tackles are overrated. In addition, he doesn't offer anything for this team in the passing game. You'd expect more out of him being the 10th overall pick. Again, to be fair, the I thought the Bengals reached for Rivers as well.

How many years did it take Bruschi to get his first INT? How many years did it take him to get his first FF? FR? (Answer: 3rd and 5th). Who does Bruschi, arguably the greatest LB in Patriots history, go out of his way to Praise? So, somehow, with no statistical proof, you decide that Mayo makes too many tackles 5 yards down field and is overrated. Yet the legendary player he replaced can't speak anymore highly of his play. Basically what you are saying is you know more about playing the ILB position for the Patriots than Tedy Bruschi?

How many years did it take Bruschi to get his first INT? How many years did it take him to get his first FF? FR? (Answer: 3rd and 5th). Who does Bruschi, arguably the greatest LB in Patriots history, go out of his way to Praise? So, somehow, with no statistical proof, you decide that Mayo makes too many tackles 5 yards down field and is overrated. Yet the legendary player he replaced can't speak anymore highly of his play. Basically what you are saying is you know more about playing the ILB position for the Patriots than Tedy Bruschi?
Here's the major difference between Bruschi and Mayo. Mayo started from day 1 but Bruschi didn't start until his 3rd year in the NFL. That's a pretty bad comparison buddy. Nice try though.

Mayo making tackles 4-5 yards downfield was something I noticed just by watching the games the past 2 years. In addition, Merrill Hodge did a breakdown of the Pats before the Ravens playoff game and pointed out how Jerod Mayo reacts slow to the football and showed video of him getting taken out by guards because he can't make a decision.

Like I said, this is the year where he needs to start doing other things than just tacking players. If that is all he can do, than he better start making tackles behind or closer to the line of scrimmage.

Last edited:
Here's the major difference between Bruschi and Mayo. Mayo started from day 1 but Bruschi didn't start until his 3rd year in the NFL. That's a pretty bad comparison buddy. Nice try though.

Mayo making tackles 4-5 yards downfield was something I noticed just by watching the games the past 2 years. In addition, Merrill Hodge did a breakdown of the Pats before the Ravens playoff game and pointed out how Jerod Mayo reacts slow to the football and showed video of him getting taken out by guards because he can't make a decision.

Like I said, this is the year where he needs to start doing other things than just tacking players. If that is all he can do, than he better start making tackles behind or closer to the line of scrimmage.

So Mayo earning a starting faster than Bruschi is a bad thing? Merril Hodge knows more than Bruschi. OK.

So Mayo earning a starting faster than Bruschi is a bad thing? Merril Hodge knows more than Bruschi. OK.
You're really not getting it. You can think whatever you want. Whatever makes you feel better. I'm done with you.

Last edited:
Yeah nice work, you showed me.

Being that way, do you think Mayo was a reach at #10?

honestly? yea i think the pats could have traded down a bit more and still grabbed him

but what do i know

they both stepped into two different situations as far as the team was concerned , pats were in desperate need of a ILB when they took mayo so of course he would start sooner

not only that bruschi was a 3rd round pick being converted from a DE into an ILB

it disturbs me how much people get attacked on here for expressing an opinion thats not blatant patriot ***** kissing

they both stepped into two different situations as far as the team was concerned , pats were in desperate need of a ILB when they took mayo so of course he would start sooner

not only that bruschi was a 3rd round pick being converted from a DE into an ILB

it disturbs me how much people get attacked on here for expressing an opinion thats not blatant patriot ***** kissing
Exactly. Also Coach42 fails to realize who was on the 1996-1998 team. Because the team ran a 4-3, Bruschi was an OLB, not an ILB. He was third on the depth chart to Chris Slade and Todd Collins. The Pats drafted Katzenmoyer to play OLB when Todd Collins departed after the 1998 season. When Ted Johnson went down with an injury, Katzenmoyer had to move to ILB and that is how Bruschi became a starter. Coach42 doesn't have a clue.

How is saying Mayo doesn't suck homerism? You can take what you want from how long it took either to get on the field it doesn't really change the core of the argument that it takes time for a player to develop into a "playmaker". I argued that trading the most promising defensive player currently on our roster to move up, cost draft picks and replace him with a rookie is plain foolish. You are basically making a sideways move at best. So while you can argue that Bruschi played out of position so did Mayo last year, he is a natural WILB he had to play SILB last year. The guy is universal praised by a coaching staff and teammates that don't regularly dole out compliments. If being a homer is pointing out idiotic trades than I'm a homer and proud of it.

Look no need for this to get out of hand, I'm not trying to be rude or say you are stupid. I think McClain will be a fine LB in this league, however my whole point is by trading Mayo you are creating a new hole which by my estimation is currently filled. With all the holes on the team I don't see the benefit of moving up to make what I would consider a sideways move. No offense to anyone intended.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes