PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2006 draft pick Ryan O'Callaghan comes out

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a great story.

We all have our own path of self discovery and it's never easy. Not to minimize anyone else's struggle, but I think it's harder to come out when one doesn't have other non-stereotypical gay role models to emulate. When you don't fit into the "straight world" or the "gay world", you really feel like you're going it alone. However, that's what makes us all stronger and helps us take the heat from either side for not "fitting in." I'm glad that he continues to carve a path that he's alive to share that story. Thank you!

No offense, but what is a "stereotypical gay role model"? Any gay person who has the courage to be out publicly can be a role model. And just like straight people, there are all different kinds of gay people. The flaming homo stereotype (think Jack from Will & Grace) is no more "stereotypical" than all the tough guy gay guys. And if that still is the stereotype, the stereotype needs to catch up with the times. There are plenty of masculine gay guys and feminine lesbians out there. It is a stereotype that was perpetuated as a slight. To make it seem like gay guys were somehow lesser men than straight men in a time when it was accepted that women were inferior to men.

What a great story.

We all have our own path of self discovery and it's never easy. Not to minimize anyone else's struggle, but I think it's harder to come out when one doesn't have other non-stereotypical gay role models to emulate. When you don't fit into the "straight world" or the "gay world", you really feel like you're going it alone. However, that's what makes us all stronger and helps us take the heat from either side for not "fitting in." I'm glad that he continues to carve a path that he's alive to share that story. Thank you!

No offense, but what is a "stereotypical gay role model"? Any gay person who has the courage to be out publicly can be a role model. And just like straight people, there are all different kinds of gay people. The flaming homo stereotype (think Jack from Will & Grace) is no more "stereotypical" than all the tough guy gay guys. And if that still is the stereotype, the stereotype needs to catch up with the times. There are plenty of masculine gay guys and feminine lesbians out there. It is a stereotype that was perpetuated as a slight. To make it seem like gay guys were somehow lesser men than straight men in a time when it was accepted that women were inferior to men.

No offense, but how on God's green earth did you read anything like what you wrote into @AtomicDawg's post? He was empathetic and caring. Which is what we all should be to our fellow men and women, straight or gay.

Last edited:
No offense, but how on God's green earth did you read anything like what you wrote into @AtomicDawg's post? He was empathetic and caring. Which is what we all should be to our fellow men and women, straight or gay.

To be fair, @AtomicDawg was talking about "non-stereotypical gay role models," which implies the existence of "stereotypical gay role models."

In any case I think what Dawg was trying to say is this: O'Callaghan didn't really have anyone he could look to and say, "He's gay and he's like me."

It's kinda sad that this is even news, here is a hint O'Callaghan is not the only NFL Player who is gay..

Every time a media or sports personality comes out it becomes news, why?? We are better than this...

To be fair, @AtomicDawg was talking about "non-stereotypical gay role models," which implies the existence of "stereotypical gay role models."

In any case I think what Dawg was trying to say is this: O'Callaghan didn't really have anyone he could look to and say, "He's gay and he's like me."

Of course there are stereotypical gay role models. There are stereotypes of EVERYTHING.

Definition of stereotype: "a widely held but fixed and oversimplified image or idea of a particular type of person or thing."

Note that it does not say "untrue".

Let's say I am a fan of NASCAR. Does that mean that I live in the south, drink beer and drive a pickup truck? No... BUT there are plenty of NASCAR fans who do. That's a stereotype... simplified... true for SOME... not true for all.

It's kinda sad that this is even news, here is a hint O'Callaghan is not the only NFL Player who is gay..

Every time a media or sports personality comes out it becomes news, why?? We are better than this...
Because the news media likes to cram it down our throats when it really isn't that big of a deal? Remember the extreme close-up of Michael Sam tongue punching his boyfriend's tonsils through a piece of cake? It's unnecessary. Especially in 2017.

Anyway, good for Ryan and Pioli. He made the right decision and I sincerely hope he's enjoying what has to be the best years of his life now that this is ultimately off his shoulders.

I pray for the times where being gay becomes a whatever, story, like if you have blond hair, blue eyes, ear contacts, etc
From the article it sounds like Scott Pioli is already living that reality.

This just reconfirmed my previous opinion of him.

Geez. It's tough to like or dislike this post. I mostly agree with what've you posted but I also think you missed Atomic's winner point altogether.

Typical or nontypical stereotypes are established by society as a whole and not necessarily by logic or compassion. Stereotypes, typical or nontypical, exist. People who do not fit those stereotypes because they are "different" (some say weird) may struggle internally until they find their comfort zone.

Which do you think would be easier? A lumberjack or an artist coming out and announcing he or she was gay?

"Courage to be out publicly" can result in various consequences (typical or nontypical) depending on an individual's circumstance. Football players may end up blacklisted, Soldiers may end up dishonorably discharged, individuals may lose family members, etc etc but a Pop star may be encircled with support.

Anyways Atomic's post was a winner post imo.

How else do you make something "the norm" without getting it out into the public forum to be discussed?

The generation gap is alive and well.

Stereotypically, people who are 50+ tend to be less open, if not outright hostile, to things such as an athlete's homosexuality. No fault placed, it's the function of growing up in a time in which these things were kept secret.

Stereotypically, millennials have been raised in a time of gay activism in which acceptance is viewed is the norm.

This remains news as long as there is a generation ready to consume that news. When today's millennials reach middle and old age, our culture as a whole may be ready for a player coming out to not be news at all.

The generation gap is alive and well.

Stereotypically, people who are 50+ tend to be less open, if not outright hostile, to things such as an athlete's homosexuality. No fault placed, it's the function of growing up in a time in which these things were kept secret.

Stereotypically, millennials have been raised in a time of gay activism in which acceptance is viewed is the norm.

This remains news as long as there is a generation ready to consume that news. When today's millennials reach middle and old age, our culture as a whole may be ready for a player coming out to not be news at all.

Ehhh. No not really. I mean you're literally stereotyping an age group's stereotypes.

I'm 50. Which means I know more than a millennial snowflake. :D Just kidding.

Seriously though, I think social media, internet and having hundreds of TV channels has had more of an impact on social norms than simply an age bracket has.

For example, when I was a teenager the only way to disprove someone's thesis was to run to the library, spend hours searching through a card catalog, finding a possible book that covered the subject matter, reading it and running back to the dude and say "Nuh uh" or "Uh Huh". Today you just freaking Google it.

If someone said, "Gay men like to wear frilly panties in school" you couldn't find a book to disprove it, you couldn't say, "Hey! you look gay.... can I ask you a question?" so you basically had to dismiss it with "who gives a F**K if they do or not". Today you just ask someone anonymously through a social network.

But yes there was a strong anti-gay sentiment back then especially when Aids became an issue. It must have been extremely tough for a homosexual back then. I'm sure it was.

Anyways no matter the age there will always be asswholes. If they're not asswholes and are just ignorant they'll learn or at least listen.

Now politically I would agree (more not completely) that age is a factor.

That doesn't mean for you to start a political discussion because I don't care what your young millennial ass thinks. :D Seriously kidding again.

I'll remove that last sentence if it hurt your feelings. :D

Geez I hope you have sense of humor.

What a pitiful, broken person you are. Wow.

Your pathetic opinion couldn't be further from the truth. You are a typical poster with little intellect and so you resort to character assassination. Is not my opinion vaqlid? Do you allow for alternative opinions in your PC universe? Group think is killing debate and discussion in this world and you are a big part of the problem.

Your pathetic opinion couldn't be further from the truth. You are a typical poster with little intellect and so you resort to character assassination. Is not my opinion vaqlid? Do you allow for alternative opinions in your PC universe? Group think is killing debate and discussion in this world and you are a big part of the problem.

You're a complete incompetent if you really think Ryan O'Callaghan was an attention seeker for the 12 plus years of high school, college and NFL football that he purposely hid this. You probably get shown a picture of the sky and think it is ground.

Whatever your particular view of this is, he has been the OPPOSITE of a "look at me" type.

Wish we'd stop with this absolutely disgusting empathetic groupthink where we all act like decent human beings and say we're glad O'Callaghan has been true to himself and sympathized with his very real struggles. I stand with the true victim here, Boston Patriot, who is being oppressed merely for saying something extraordinarily stupid and coldhearted. You goddamn PC police will get yours.

Because the news media likes to cram it down our throats when it really isn't that big of a deal? Remember the extreme close-up of Michael Sam tongue punching his boyfriend's tonsils through a piece of cake? It's unnecessary. Especially in 2017.

The "News Media" only puts stuff out there that is palatable to the viewer or reader.. IMO we should have evolved from this sort of thing as it is no big deal..

Hahaha, nice try BP. That post wasn't the "Hey guys, let's have a discussion" type of post.

Good: "Hey guys, can I have some ice cream?"

Bad: "Hey guys, give me some F'ing ice cream"

Pioli . (from Reiss q-h)

“In the last 48 hours, the response and reaction I’ve received from former teammates of Ryan’s [and] former players that weren’t teammates but wanted to get a hold of Ryan; a great example [is] Mike Vrabel, one of the first people to reach out to me. So Mike was with Ryan in New England and Kansas City. Mike was like, ‘Scott, this is incredible. What great news. Is he OK? I need his contact information. Can I reach out to him?’ I give you that example, because that is one of dozens and dozens of former players who are reacting [that way] to this situation. All they care about is Ryan the person.”

Having all rookies read this is quite possible for NFL as part of rookie orientation. They should know that some of the attitudes they saw at their colleges and locker rooms are not acceptable in the NFL.

A typical NYFL locker room might be the worst place of all for a gay man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back