PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2 new Patriots: DB Chidi Iwouma and OL Sean Bubin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woever mentioned the patriot Reign piece. Here's the exact paragraph from the book.

AND I'LL BE DAMNED IT SAYS BELICHICK WANTED AHMAD CARROLL!!!

The Patriots held two picks in the first round, numbers 21 and 32. At the top of Belichick’s list were four players the Patriots should consider moving up for from 21: cornerbacks
DeAngelo Hall and Dunta Robinson, defensive tackle Vince Wilfork, and linebacker Jonathan Vilma. Next, he had written “My Card,†with “guys I would like to have on 1st day and 2nd day†in parentheses. His first-day card included two tight ends, Ben Watson and Kris Wilson. Three offensive linemen—Chris Snee, Travelle Wharton, and Sean Bubin—were on the list. In addition to Wilfork, he listed nose tackles Marcus Tubbs and Isaac Sopoaga. His linebackers were D. J. Williams, Dontarrious Thomas, and Jason Babin. If he couldn’t get Hall or Robinson on the first day, he thought Ahmad Carroll would be a good choice at corner. Taylor was not one of his safeties, but Guss Scott, Madieu Williams, and Dexter Reid were. He rounded out his first-day list with running back Kevin Jones and defensive
end Marquise Hill.

With the proper coaching and attitude adjustment Carroll would have been a fine player, and still may be, if a decent organization gets its hands on him.

Last edited:
I agree that the Steelers dropped the ball, but this has nothing to do with Izzo, unless you mean as Special Teams Captain. Izzo may or not be in his last year, but he is not a gunner. The players that should worry next year are Gay, Jones and Mitchell.

PonyExpress said:
This is an absolute steal. The Pats may have the best coverage unit in the league now. This team will win the "hidden yardage" contest consistently. If Gostkowski can pick it up, the sky's the limit for the ST unit. Iwouma may be the replacement for Izzo next season. The Steelers really dropped the ball.

mgteich said:
I agree that the Steelers dropped the ball, but this has nothing to do with Izzo, unless you mean as Special Teams Captain. Izzo may or not be in his last year, but he is not a gunner. The players that should worry next year are Gay, Jones and Mitchell.
I meant as ST captain.

PonyExpress said:
This is an absolute steal. The Pats may have the best coverage unit in the league now. This team will win the "hidden yardage" contest consistently. If Gostkowski can pick it up, the sky's the limit for the ST unit. Iwouma may be the replacement for Izzo next season. The Steelers really dropped the ball.

You sound like you really KNOW this guy's game. Can you tell me some of what you're basing your enthusiasm on? I Hope you're right, but I'm just curious and hoping to have genuine reason to be pleased by this move. I am inytigued that he was Pittsburgh's S/T captain, but confused as to why they'd risk losing him.

Lockdown06 said:
I had heard that he was a more physical kind of corner that as good at press coverage,
Sounds like you're talking about Tebucky.

So the presumed gunners now are Chidi and Willie Andrews?

patsox23 said:
You sound like you really KNOW this guy's game. Can you tell me some of what you're basing your enthusiasm on? I Hope you're right, but I'm just curious and hoping to have genuine reason to be pleased by this move. I am inytigued that he was Pittsburgh's S/T captain, but confused as to why they'd risk losing him.

I asked about him on the Steelernation board. the response was unanimous that the guy was a ST stud, also that he sucked as a CB.

flutie2phelan said:
Huh?
We dropped Mruc ... after two full years of Dante's tutelage ... and brought on Bubin?

Does Dante become jaded or bored when his pupils attain some pro-ficiency
... and always needs new challenges ?
I think it is two different things..Mruc is more the show roster player..a player insude for now..Bubin is one they wanted before..more a project...future..as opposed to now..any injuries inside and he will be back..don't forget Yates as well..

Chidi is an excellent, excellent gunner and I am not happy the Steelers let him go. He was released when Ben had his apendectomy and they had to bring on a backup QB. Thought the steelers would resign him when Ben got healthy again.
He is a deom as a gunner though has very little value outside of that. Poteat is much better at DB and I think Poteat sucks.

Ot

ClosingTime said:
Chidi is an excellent, excellent gunner and I am not happy the Steelers let him go. He was released when Ben had his apendectomy and they had to bring on a backup QB. Thought the steelers would resign him when Ben got healthy again.
He is a deom as a gunner though has very little value outside of that. Poteat is much better at DB and I think Poteat sucks.

Thinking of Steelers who moved to the Patriots, I heard a Rodney Bailey name-check while watching them against the Bengals. How's he doing there, ClosingTime?

this sucks. how about we give you back sean morey instead of chidi? i hope the pats are forced to cut chidi at some point this season so the steelers can pick him up again.

i was sure there was already some under-the-table deal with chidi to not sign elsewhere until they cleared roster space (since pitt was paying his whole year's salary), but i guess i was wrong or they waited too long.

if you remember last year's pitt-den AFCC game, chidi was the one who downed 2 punts inside the 1-yard line, although one was reversed by review. in the san diego MNF game where ben got hurt, he was also the guy who smacked the chargers' bobbling PR and took the ball away in mid-air (refs blew it by calling fair catch interference).

Last edited:
I've always liked Bailey, though I think he'd be a better fit as a 4-3 DE, though even there he's a bit out of place I'd suspect. He's a little too small to be a starter as a two gap DL in the 3-4, and a little too slow and rigid to effectively be a pass rusher as a 4-3 DE. But he does both pretty well. He is a good guy to rotate in on passing downs and has performed well this year when he's played.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST