Status
Not open for further replies.

DefenseRules

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
October 04, 2006
Locker room notes
A few quick notes from the locker room:

* CB Ellis Hobbs confirmed he had surgery last week on his left wrist. (More from Hobbs later).

* New lockers were set up for DB Chidi Iwouma and OL Sean Bubin. Iwouma worked out for the Patriots last week and could be filling the team's final roster spot. Bubin looks like a practice squad addition.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

My Google has that as Chidi Iwuoma, late of the Pittsburgh Steelers. Any more info?

Ungeheuer said:
Wow, how did he end up on the street? Iwouma is a pretty celebrated special teams player, almost like a Mel Mitchell.

I was assuming that's why he was brought in. To fill Gay's spot on ST and as a depth guy in the DBackfield.

nuts i wanted carroll. Oh well, the Front office knows much more than me.

Brownfan80 said:
I was assuming that's why he was brought in. To fill Gay's spot on ST and as a depth guy in the DBackfield.
He is a highly touted ST's ace type. Known for being a gunner.

So in short yes he took over Gay's role of being a gunner on ST's.

Bubin on the other hand looks very promising:

NFL.com player profiles said:
Model of consistency for the Illini, starting three seasons at the demanding left offensive tackle position … Allowed only one quarterback sack in 36 games as a starter … A two-way lineman in high school, he spent his freshman season at Illinois performing on special teams … Replaced Marques Sullivan at left tackle the following year, leading the way as the offense set school season records for yardage in both 2001 and 2002.

Positives: Has a tall frame with long arms, broad shoulders, good thickness in the chest, wide waist and hips, thick thighs and calves and above-average balance … Shows excellent body control on the move, exploding on contact … Has above-average lateral agility and quickly gets out front when pulling in space … Looks fluid in making the hard reach block, then pivoting to locate a secondary target … Plays with a good base, keeping his feet underneath his body … Sets a heavy anchor and rarely over-extends … Uses his mass and strength very well when blocking in-line … Stays on blocks consistently and shows proper hand placement that allows him to control and sustain … Sets his feet and shows quickness kicking out in his pass blocking, using his speed to redirect inside … Adept at switching up on stunts and is quick to recognize and locate the blitz … His nimble feet allow him to drop step and cut off and reach when zone blocking … Also gives 100-percent effort to hold on and stay on blocks … Keeps his shoulders square on double teams and has the burst to locate linebackers working into the second level.

Lockdown06 said:
nuts i wanted carroll. Oh well, the Front office knows much more than me.
Carroll was absolutely horrible.

If he were on this team you would have thought it was Duane Straks brother had you known nothing about the player and didnt know he was a first rounder.

I asked about Chidi Iwuoma on a Steelers board, not much as a DB very good ST guy, thay are pissed that we signed him. I asked for a comparison to Poteat as a DB. Will post other feedback.

Good.

He will definitely increase our all-important "weird name quotient," as well as the "%CBs under 5'10" metric.

SeanBruschi54 said:
Carroll was absolutely horrible.

If he were on this team you would have thought it was Duane Straks brother had you known nothing about the player and didnt know he was a first rounder.

I had heard that he was a more physical kind of corner that as good at press coverage, but I don't watch any green bay games, so i can't argue with your assessment - basically i figured he's the kind of low priced, has talent but hasn't translated it into on-field production yet kind of guy the pats like to take chances on.

From Scouts:

Chidi Iwuoma
Pos: CB
Experience: 6 years
Born: February 19, 1978
Los Angeles, CA
Height: 5-9
Weight: 184 lbs.
Pronounced: ee-WO-ma

2006 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.
Grade: 59 | Key

Comment:
Only chance if he had to play on defense would be to align him in the slot where his lack of height and size would not become an issue. Excellent special teams player. Has an excellent motor. Will insert and throw his body around. Solid speed on kickoff cover team - he is one of the first players down the field. Solid ability as a gunner with the punt team. Shows excellent quickness in his release and knows how to keep leverage on the outside hold up guy. He has no upside as a DC in this league.

Here's the info on Bubin:

Sean Bubin
Pos: OT
Height: 6-7
Weight: 307 lbs.
College: Illinois
Drafted: Year:2004 Round:5 Pick:27, Jaguars FANTASY

2006 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.
Grade: 58

Comment:
Is a bit of a finesse blocker. Has adequate quickness in his pass pro set. Is more efficient in pass pro than he is as a run blocker. He shows good awareness in pass protection. Uses long arms to force a wide arc. Does a decent job with his hand-placement. Can make big strides in pass pro if he learns to play with better leverage and body control. Lacks leg strength and base. Also has trouble consistently hitting the moving target. Is a waist-bender in pass pro. Overall, Bubin has some upside because of his impressive frame and decent foot quickness.

BPF said:
From Scouts:

He has no upside as a DC in this league.

I guess we'll have to look elsewhere for Pees's replacement then...

Defensive corner.

I agree. Adding a top gunner is fine addition.

Ungeheuer said:
Wow, how did he end up on the street? Iwouma is a pretty celebrated special teams player, almost like a Mel Mitchell.

patsfan13 said:
I asked about Chidi Iwuoma on a Steelers board, not much as a DB very good ST guy, thay are pissed that we signed him. I asked for a comparison to Poteat as a DB. Will post other feedback.
WTF are you thinking? Nobody compares to Hank.

;)

well, there goes Randy Moss's or Jerry Porter's spot. :)

Perhaps not. Spann can be moved back the the Practice Squad, and Bubin put on the Practice Squad. That would put the practice squad back to the full complement of eight. Unless, we are bringing Mruc back, we still have an open spot.

PatsDeb said:
well, there goes Randy Moss's or Jerry Porter's spot. :)

NEM said:
Another 5" 9' DB.
Thats how our defensive system works for corners. Small fast agile players. Whats the big deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST