PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

1st round vs. trade down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
1st round picks are often busts, latter round picks often work out.

That said, which would you prefer

a) stay at #22
b) trade down for 3 top-mid 3s,
c) trade down for 2 mid 3s, 2 top 4s and 2 top 5ths

a) stay at #22

d) trade down for a lower 1st and add a 3rd

I would prefer making a pick at 22. Trade down only if Kindle or Odrick aren't available at 22, but remain in the late first/early second. I think this is a deep draft but you need someone who can start right away in the first round.

I would prefer making a pick at 22. Trade down only if Kindle or Odrick aren't available at 22, but remain in the late first/early second. I think this is a deep draft but you need someone who can start right away in the first round.

What he said X 2......................

I am for trading up.

I am thinking of Mayo and two 7th rounders to Jacksonville for #10.

At #10 we take McClain.

I am for trading up.

I am thinking of Mayo and two 7th rounders to Jacksonville for #10.

At #10 we take McClain.

While I'm all into the "out of the box thinking" we have to many holes to fill to actually make this move.

I have never denied that I am not a fan of Mayo's but I am hoping Jacksonville is.
And you are very much entitled to your own opinion but Mayo is not going anywhere. He is the captain of this defense and looks to be for many more years.

ANYWAY

I'd be all for trading down from 22 into the second round and picking up a 3rd. Then trading our 2a or 2b for a 1st round pick next year.

I don't like it. I think you make a pick at 22 for BPA, as controlled by your need-adjusted value chart. Hopefully that makes some sense. The depth in the 2nd round should let you fill in the rest of your spots fine, except at OLB where I think all the decent ones will be gone by 44.

The only way I'm trading down from 22 is if there's a perfect storm of picks in front of us and no-one on the board is worth taking at all.

a) stay at #22

please stop making threads!

Hahaha Why the **** would we do that?

Because Mayo makes zero big plays. All he does is make tackles four plus yards down field.

How many career INT's does Mayo have? How many career forced fumbles does Mayo have?
How many fumble recoveries does Mayo have? How many TFL's does Mayo have?

Bottom Line: Yes we have to start over with McClain, but Mcclain already knows our defense. Makes all the calls and the adjustments. And MAKES BIG PLAYS!

You're completely insane, Ochmed. I know you're not a Mayo fan but this is practically a vendetta.

So Mayo learnt a notoriously complicated defense in his first season, then suffered a MCL injury in his second year that restricted him upon his return. And you're complaining that he's not roaming the backfield like the second coming of Ray Lewis?

Barmy, absolutely barmy.

Last edited:
I don't know but I have a gut feeling that the Pats have a guy in mind at 22 and if he's there, they'll use the pick. I don't know who THAT guy is, but I just think they they are just hoping he's still there. HOWEVER, if he's not, then they'll opt to trade down, which is a more than 50-50 shot, and if they do I'm hoping that they trade the pick for a 3rd and some kind of pick next year. Hey we already have 12 picks, pretty soon it becomes over kill. So if I were to trade down, I'd do it with a team who is currently picking in the top 10. I'd want to swap one of our seconds with him to move up into the 30's and add that 3rd round pick, and get a 2nd for next year.

So it would work this way. We'd trade 22 for a swap of 2nds so we'd pick 36 47 and 53 in the 2nd, and then add a top 10 3rd and a 2nd next year. Then in a year when the draft looks to be very thin, we'd have 2 firsts, 2nds. That would be a great situation to be in, especially when it looks to be a very DEEP FA class.

This team has so many holes yet some here want to continue to trade into next season....this has got to stop,Players like Brady won't play forever and stockpiling picks year after year does not help,we need rookies to develop soon before its too late and our nucleus of good players get old

If anything, trade a 6th or 7th rounder this year for a 5th next season but to give up high picks for next season with a team barren in a lot of places does not make much sense.

Last edited:
How many career INT's does Mayo have? How many career forced fumbles does Mayo have?

Better question is, how many of those does McClain have?

Because Mayo makes zero big plays. All he does is make tackles four plus yards down field.

Bottom Line: Yes we have to start over with McClain, but Mcclain already knows our defense. Makes all the calls and the adjustments. And MAKES BIG PLAYS!

How many did Tedy have in his first two years? Answer 0. He didn't make his first pick till his 3rd year and didn't force his first fumble till 2001, a full 5 years into his career. Probably should have gave up on him too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back