Status
Not open for further replies.

rochrist

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Pats sign two

Pats have signed Montee Ball and DeAndre Carter. Both have lockers.

Who was the poster here who thought Monte Ball was a stud? I got into arguments with him a few years back when I said he sucked in Denver. He gets his wish that he is a Patriot.

I am just afraid if you liked Stevan Ridley's fumbling problems, you are going to love Monte Ball in a Patriots uniform.

Patriots Get Carter because they're desperate for a ST guy who can hold onto the ball, speaking of which Monte has a problem there. Maybe BB intends to confound the opposition by fumbling on regular down offense rather than on kicks?

Ball?

Wasn't he great in College then abysmal in the NFL with fumble issues? Still better than having nothing though.

Ball?

Wasn't he great in College then abysmal in the NFL with fumble issues? Still better than having nothing though.

Not really.
I'd rather have Bolden who may not be much of a RB but as far as we know (not seeing weekly practices) does NOT put the pill on the ground. Bonus points because Bolden can catch passes.
I see Ball as depth in case we run out of RBs because of more injuries; THEN he's better than nothing.

Carter is really small but the rare player who can match Edelman in quickness. Edelman's Shuttle and Cone were 3.92 / 6.62, Carter's were 3.80 / 3.64.

NO, I AM NOT SAYING.

Just pointing out he has serious quicks.

Ball was a legitimate talent in college. If he can recover some of that form, he'll give us a weapon going into the playoffs. Presumably, he'll need to avoid fumbles in order to keep his job, but he could be a solid addition.

Guessing Blount on IR and Eric Martin shuffled to the practice squad.
Poor Tre Williams.
We love short wide receivers.
Josh Gordon isnt walking thru that door.
Hope Keyshawn Martin is safe really like him.

From time with Ravens:

"However, Carter didn't make as many plays as a receiver once training camp began and he muffed two kickoffs during preseason games, hurting his chance to make the team as a returner."

Oh boy

Ball has 4 fumbles in 209 touches according to NFL.com. High, but a REALLY small sample size.

I am just afraid if you liked Stevan Ridley's fumbling problems, you are going to love Monte Ball in a Patriots uniform.

In the NFL, Ball has fumbled 4 times in 175 attempts. That's a rate of 2.2% - well below the NFL average fumble rate for running backs (3.7% in 2014, 3.33% this year).

EDIT: Looks like that average NFL fumble rate is too high - see discussion further down this thread.

Montee Ball, RB for the Denver Broncos at NFL.com

(I see another stat quoted showing more touches - that would reduce the rate further).

Here's a story about his waiver by the Broncos:

Ball bounced: Broncos waive ex-starting RB

Last edited:
After reading Danario Alexander had visited someone yesterday, I was hoping it was him. But hey, Steve Smith compared DeAndre Carter to Randall Cobb in training camp so that's, uh, something.

Ball sucks, but whatever.

FFS if we can just get someone who will run full bore into the OL I'll be happy. I think Bolden can do that. But if Ball can as well, all the better.

From NFL.com (last line makes me root hard for him):

Strengths
Stocky frame with good body control. Low center of gravity allows him to shut down route and open quickly. Outstanding separation quickness laterally. Highly competitive with well-known work ethic. Finds the holes against zone coverage and is ready as soon as leather touches glove. Explosive lower body and plays to it.
Weaknesses
Short with smaller catch radius for moderately accurate quarterbacks. Will be overwhelmed at point of attack if asked to block from slot. Hasn't faced quickness he'll see in the NFL.
Bottom Line
Explosive short-area quickness and can free himself from most one-on-one coverage. Needs to prove he can offer special-teams return potential to maximize his opportunity. Despite lack of height, his quickness off the snap and out of his breaks will be hard to overlook for teams looking for possession receiver from the slot. Made promise to his dying 17-year-old brother that he would make it in the NFL.

From time with Ravens:

"However, Carter didn't make as many plays as a receiver once training camp began and he muffed two kickoffs during preseason games, hurting his chance to make the team as a returner."

Oh boy

He'll fit right in then :(

In the NFL, Ball has fumbled 4 times in 175 attempts. That's a rate of 2.2% - well below the NFL average fumble rate for running backs (3.7% in 2014, 3.33% this year).
I think you included a fumble on a catch but didn't include the catches as attempts.

Good to know that's not high, a fumble about every 50 sounded a little high but I guess not.

Weren't Ball and James White teammates for a few years in college?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft