PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

11 Reasons Rex Ryan Will Consult for Ravens

PatSunday

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
We've all seen ridiculous rumors that Ryan might consult for Patriots or Broncos. What actually makes sense is for Ryan to become a consultant for the Ravens, unless he's signed as head coach immediately. Here's why.

1) Harbaugh, the current Ravens coach, and Rex coached the Ravens together in the past. In fact, when Harbaugh took over the Ravens in 2008, he kept Ryan as DC and even promoted him to Assistant Head Coach. Rex left because he got the head coaching job with the Jets, which is desperate :) but understandable (at the time).

2) Though the Ravens of that era had solid individual players like Lewis and Reed, they had a great defensive unit as a whole, and were the #2 defense the last year Rex coached there.

3) Of all teams, the Jets actually beat the Steelers. Ravens play the Steelers, their rivals next week. Ravens lost to the Steelers in November, their most recent game. Beating the Steelers is a must even if they don't go very far. Throwing some money at Rex just in case it helps make that happen will make fans happy.

4) Beating Steelers means a game at Gillette. However, the Ravens did not prepare for the Patriots this year. On top of that, they got blown out by the Patriots a year ago.

5) Rex Ryan's Jets had many very close games with the Patriots over the years, especially this year.

6) The last two Patriots games were against the Jets or Buffalo Bills, and Rex Ryan likely knows more about these three teams over the last six years than anyone else other than Bill Belichick. On top of that, the Patriots underperformed both games. Rex could bring his knowledge of the Jets schemes as well as scouting reports and films of the Bills and Patriots to explain what worked and what didn't against the Patriots in the last two games like nobody else can. If Rex can convince Harbaugh he knows how to beat the Steelers and Patriots, Harbaugh will give him the money.

7) Rex Ryan also prepared (if that's the right word, since they usually lost) the Jets for playoff teams like Steelers, Patriots, Broncos, Packers and Lions, which might be the entire sequence of wins necessary for the Ravens to win the Super Bowl.

8) It would give Rex an excuse in the case he didn't get a head coaching job right away ("I was hired as a consultant at my previous team. They really needed my help and I was doing them a favor.")

9) It would be any head coach's personality to (try to) stick it to his former organization (Jets) and the #1 seed that keeps them from winning the division year to year (Patriots) by helping a new team beat them that same year.

10) He will become familiar with additional Ravens players who might want to play for him in the future (Belichick used the Pro Bowls to his advantage, such as meeting Rodney Harrison). He might also get an in with the Ravens to become their head coach if the Ravens continue their slide next year. Rex could sit out for a year or two as a mediot and then become the head coach of the Ravens.

11) The best time in years that Rex could possibly prove to the Ravens or another team that he's a viable head coach, after a 4 win season, is during the next two weeks.

The good news for us is that Rex is out of our division. The Jets played us too close in recent games. The Patriots also have two weeks of stability to rest and prepare. Finally, the Patriots must be able to win their divisional game regardless of who they meet because they weren't playing very hot the last two games. Whether the Ravens get extra coaching help or not, they will need to beat the Steelers first. But the best news would be for the Patriots to come out and demolish whoever it is we play first.

Last edited:
So why don't we hire him first... as a consultant? It could be fun to watch!

Yeah and in addition to that I wouldn't want to see a ticked off Steve Smith with a purpose either, who I happen to personally love and I know how bad the man wants a ring. Not to mention those lucky ass Fluco long bombs that always seem to give us trouble. Steelers winning means we get the Colts or Bungels, which I'm perfectly ok with.

So why don't we hire him first... as a consultant? It could be fun to watch!

This is genius. It would be a Belichick move to hire Rex as a consultant just so that both would piss off the Jets and keep him away from other teams, and allow Rex to save face. Of course, we wouldn't actually allow him onto the field, or to talk to the media. We also wouldn't share our playbooks with him, but we'd give him tasks to keep him busy. If he actually does his job and shares some tells or weaknesses we have with the Patriots he used against us as Jets coach, that will be a bonus.

Banning him from appearing in the media for the next month alone would be worth the money.

What do you mean not allow him on the field?!? He and Revis have a great bromance! He really knows how to scheme up exotic blitzes and pressures! He likes to speak to the press!

Why not let him on the field?

He should be contractually obligated to throw a fit on the sidelines during every game!

Along with completely different styles, there is no love lost between these two.

I would be shocked to see Wrecks here, on any level!

We've all seen ridiculous rumors that Ryan might consult for Patriots or Broncos. What actually makes sense is for Ryan to become a consultant for the Ravens, unless he's signed as head coach immediately. Here's why.

1) Harbaugh, the current Ravens coach, and Rex coached the Ravens together in the past. In fact, when Harbaugh took over the Ravens in 2008, he kept Ryan as DC and even promoted him to Assistant Head Coach. Rex left because he got the head coaching job with the Jets, which is desperate :) but understandable (at the time).

2) Though the Ravens of that era had solid individual players like Lewis and Reed, they had a great defensive unit as a whole, and were the #2 defense the last year Rex coached there.

3) Of all teams, the Jets actually beat the Steelers. Ravens play the Steelers, their rivals next week. Ravens lost to the Steelers in November, their most recent game. Beating the Steelers is a must even if they don't go very far. Throwing some money at Rex just in case it helps make that happen will make fans happy.

4) Beating Steelers means a game at Gillette. However, the Ravens did not prepare for the Patriots this year. On top of that, they got blown out by the Patriots a year ago.

5) Rex Ryan's Jets had many very close games with the Patriots over the years, especially this year.

6) The last two Patriots games were against the Jets or Buffalo Bills, and Rex Ryan likely knows more about these three teams over the last six years than anyone else other than Bill Belichick. On top of that, the Patriots underperformed both games. Rex could bring his knowledge of the Jets schemes as well as scouting reports and films of the Bills and Patriots to explain what worked and what didn't against the Patriots in the last two games like nobody else can. If Rex can convince Harbaugh he knows how to beat the Steelers and Patriots, Harbaugh will give him the money.

7) Rex Ryan also prepared (if that's the right word, since they usually lost) the Jets for playoff teams like Steelers, Patriots, Broncos, Packers and Lions, which might be the entire sequence of wins necessary for the Ravens to win the Super Bowl.

8) It would give Rex an excuse in the case he didn't get a head coaching job right away ("I was hired as a consultant at my previous team. They really needed my help and I was doing them a favor.")

9) It would be any head coach's personality to (try to) stick it to his former organization (Jets) and the #1 seed that keeps them from winning the division year to year (Patriots) by helping a new team beat them that same year.

10) He will become familiar with additional Ravens players who might want to play for him in the future (Belichick used the Pro Bowls to his advantage, such as meeting Rodney Harrison). He might also get an in with the Ravens to become their head coach if the Ravens continue their slide next year. Rex could sit out for a year or two as a mediot and then become the head coach of the Ravens.

11) The best time in years that Rex could possibly prove to the Ravens or another team that he's a viable head coach, after a 4 win season, is during the next two weeks.

The good news for us is that Rex is out of our division. The Jets played us too close in recent games. The Patriots also have two weeks of stability to rest and prepare. Finally, the Patriots must be able to win their divisional game regardless of who they meet because they weren't playing very hot the last two games. Whether the Ravens get extra coaching help or not, they will need to beat the Steelers first. But the best news would be for the Patriots to come out and demolish whoever it is we play first.
Why would the Ravens need him? They know the Pats, and the know how to beat the Pats. The question is whether they still have the players to do it. Not going to happen.

yeah, that would be really interesting...talking about crapping all over your current DC. The only way that Rex is brought in as a consultant is if the Ravens are looking to replace their current DC. The only reason why McD was brought on as a consultant was because OBrian already had one foot out the door so there was no conflict.

It sounds like the Falcons are trying to move quickly in securing Ryan, which would be a great place for him. In Matt Ryan they have the one thing that he never had with the Jets. The defense--and particularly the pass rush--is in fairly dire straits, but that's Rex's specialty.

So for this to happen, in all likelihood Rex would probably have to forfeit his chance to get a pretty good head coaching gig, all in order to stick it to some organizations that never wronged him (the Pats and Steelers) on behalf of the organization that refused to make him their head coach 5 years ago.

yeah, that would be really interesting...talking about crapping all over your current DC. The only way that Rex is brought in as a consultant is if the Ravens are looking to replace their current DC. The only reason why McD was brought on as a consultant was because OBrian already had one foot out the door so there was no conflict.

Well, we all know as well as anyone that Dean Pees is not a good DC, but having said that I agree. As much as I'm sure the Ravens would love to have Rex back, he's going to receive offers to be someone's head coach, so that's not going to happen.

Yeah...this isn't going to happen. He's going to be interviewing for head coaching jobs soon. He isn't going to miss out coaching the playoffs in a minor role.

Rumors are, the Bears want him as HC.

I heard Rex got a job with Thom McAn

@AlbertBreer If I'm Denver, I'm calling Rex Ryan yesterday about a consultant role for the playoffs, based on his history defending the Patriot offense.

Rex Ryan was a genius when he played with Ray Lewis. So was Marv Lewis, Matt Nolan or whatever his name is, and everyone else that played with Lewis. Rex used his last 6 first round picks on defensive players and it shows.

If genius is ignoring offense and using your entire draft and cap to build a defense then Rex is a genius. But he won't have that luxury as a consultant. Thus far, all I've seen is a coach that is so desperate to prove he's not another product of a Ray Lewis' defensive leadership that he's sold the farm to have a decent defense.

Big f****** deal, let him consult with whoever he wants, Ray ain't walking onto that field, and neither are his lopsided drafts.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back