PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

#1 Need For the Draft: SAFETY

Status
Not open for further replies.
the part where you said "but a respected NFL website also agrees with my contention of Safety being the Pats # 1 need." anyone with a computer and an internet connection can be an expert these and the fact that you tried to bolster your argument by saying some internet site agreed with you is as the Jesus would say from the Big Lebowski, "laughble man. your bush league slacker sh!t won't work here. Liam and Me, we f@ck you on Saterday." :rofl:

Great movie (The Big Lebowski). But the website I mentioned - to paraphrase you : "some internet site ...that anyone with a computer and an internet connection can be a expert..." . The website -NFL Draft Scout - should not be laughed at. It features articles written by Rob Rang who also contributes to CBS Sportsline. 'NFL Draft Scout' also gets its NFL info from 'The Sports Xchange'. Info on T.S.X. :

"Since 1987, the Sports Xchange has
been the best source of information and analysis for the top professionals in the sports publishing & information business:
- Newspapers & Magazines
- Professional Team Information
- Media Web Sites & Content
- Sports Video Games
- Television & Radio
- Plus many other services... "

And several NFL coaches, NFL personnel and players have quoted favorably about it.

All I ask is that before you flame myself (again) or the reputation of a website - you might want to at least look at it first. Give it a try! Some of the content does not require membership. You will come away more informed. :)

roughly 11 hours after posting my last reply (just above) to Krazy Koz. - I was checking Fox Sports NFL webpage (yes the national Fox networks own sports website) and when you click on their link for ' 2007 NFL Draft prospect rankings: 1 - 100 ' guess what - the list is furnished by: 'NFL DRAFT SCOUT.COM'.
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6421386

That is the same website (NFL Draft Scout) you trashed me for when I said it was a 'well respected website' as it mirrored my own opinion on the Patriots greatest position of need.

So to 'Krazy Koz' - please try to at least look at a website before you lambast it as well as mocking those who recommend it. Instead of trying to become more educated, you are just showing off your own ignorance.

Last edited:
That's too many. Especially when you consider Harrison, Wilson, and Hawkins aren't special teams players. I'm not opposed to drafting two safeties, since I don't want one in the first round. But only one would probably make the team, and he might bump Hawkins in order to do so.

Oh, and you have the Andrews situation backwards. He was a corner at Baylor that the Pats drafted as a ST player who could possibly contribute at safety.

Dryheat -
You have the situation on Andrews backwards according to NFLDraftScout.

When Andrews was at Baylor, he was a reserve safety in 2002. In 2003, 2004, and 2005 he started 12 games at Outside (STRONG) safety. In 2004 and 2005, Andrews earned top honors as a special teams player (kick retruner) as well.

I do not feel that Hawkins job is secure in any way, shape or form.

There are some good prospects who fit this bill. Tanard Jackson, Fred Bennett, and CJ Gaddis come to mind.

WOW. I think the exact opposite. Those are 3 players that I have dropped from my draft board as being players who have issues that would preclude them from the Pats.

Dryheat -
You have the situation on Andrews backwards according to NFLDraftScout.

When Andrews was at Baylor, he was a reserve safety in 2002. In 2003, 2004, and 2005 he started 12 games at Outside (STRONG) safety. In 2004 and 2005, Andrews earned top honors as a special teams player (kick retruner) as well.

I do not feel that Hawkins job is secure in any way, shape or form.

Yea, I gave him the link to Andrews profile at Baylor where it clearly says he played Safety. I don't feel Hawkins is safe either. I do think he'll likely get a roster spot, but if NE brings in a talented Safety (or two) than he'll likely drop on the depth chart for '07, and probably won't come back in '08. Really, if you watched the game film Hawkins had some pretty badly blown coverages late in the season, and during the playoffs. I don't think Wilson resigns next year either, and I think Rodney probably retires after this year, maybe next. So, they need Safeties. NE doesn't "need" a first round Safety, but it should be considered.

Rashad Baker? Please, he is not a good Safety, and will likely never be anything more than an emergancy option/fourth quarter Safety.

If he's not a good safety, then why did the Pats sign him to a 2 year deal?

Mel Mitchell (already 28) Same as Baker he is not the Safety of the future, and that's what you want sitting behind your current starters, their replacements.

Mitchell isn't the same as Baker. Mitchell is a proven special teams ace who has adequately filled in as a starter when called upon. Its one of the reasons the Pats signed him.

Willie Andrews (to small to play SS 5'9" 182lbs.) He was somewhat intrigueing when NE first selected him, because of his return ability. If anyone remembers correctly NE was actually converting him to CB. I also don't think his return skills lived up to expectations, and that was his biggest attraction, so he might find himself on the waiver wire.

I agree that Andrews may be on the way out. But who knows. He may turn into the next coming of Jer'rod Cherry.

Basically you draft two Safeties to backup/rotate with Harrison, Wilson, Sanders, and Hawkins. After drafting these two more talented Safeties you can cut Mitchell, and Baker. Maybe you keep Andrews because they were trying to convert him to CB, anyways.

this would give you:
Harrison, Wilson, Sanders, Hawkins, Draft pick, Draft pick on the Safety depth chart. Thats 6 Safeties for 2 positions. Also, you could draft a FS who also has slot CB skills so he could play both positions as a rookie lending even more depth to the secondary.

I agree with your assessment, though I don't believe that Hawkins or Andrews is guaranteed a spot.

I think that many of the FS in this draft have the ability to cover the slot receiver.

the part where you said "but a respected NFL website also agrees with my contention of Safety being the Pats # 1 need." anyone with a computer and an internet connection can be an expert these and the fact that you tried to bolster your argument by saying some internet site agreed with you is as the Jesus would say from the Big Lebowski, "laughble man. your bush league slacker sh!t won't work here. Liam and Me, we f@ck you on Saterday." :rofl:

Krazy Koz -
YOU are the laughable one. NFLDraftScout is one of the most highly regarded draft sites on the web. So much so that NFL.COM uses them (as well as others) to provide background and insight on players. As someone else pointed out FoxSports.com also uses them.

Thanks for showing everyone that YOU are the bush league slacker.

2 visits for Meriweather..i guess that means we arent as concerned with attitude as some of yo u guys are

OR, they are concerned that he couldn't learn the play book AND they were concerned about his attitude and wanted to see what he brought back.

They did that last year with Chad Jackson, if you recall.

WOW. I think the exact opposite. Those are 3 players that I have dropped from my draft board as being players who have issues that would preclude them from the Pats.

Yea, CJ Gaddis is kind of a tweener who is mostly potential, Tanard Jackson looks good, but he had a one game suspension for "conduct detrimental to the team", Bennett is not fluid enough in coverage, isn't good in run support, and had shoulder surgery in '05.

Out of the three I like Jackson the most, but I wonder what exactly the he did that was considered "conduct detrimental to the team"? Jackson also looks like more of a FS, than a CB.

OR, they are concerned that he couldn't learn the play book AND they were concerned about his attitude and wanted to see what he brought back.

They did that last year with Chad Jackson, if you recall.

Yea, them having two workouts with Meriweather likely means they have some interest, but want to look at him one more time before their minds are made up. This second workout could go smoothly, and they might pick him, or for some reason or another they come away from this second workout dissatisfied, and drop him on their board. Anything can happen.

If he's not a good safety, then why did the Pats sign him to a 2 year deal?.
It's not that I don't think he's good enough to be on the roster, I just don't think he's a future starter, and I don't really want him being a main rotational backup/starter when someone goes down.

Mitchell isn't the same as Baker. Mitchell is a proven special teams ace who has adequately filled in as a starter when called upon. Its one of the reasons the Pats signed him.
The point was that he's not the Safety of the future, meaning he's not starting material. I recognize his ST contributions, but you can find plenty of guys to contribute on special teams. He's like Baker in that I see someone like Wendling, or Josh Gattis as better options.

I agree that Andrews may be on the way out. But who knows. He may turn into the next coming of Jer'rod Cherry.
The only thing that makes me question his roster spot is the signing of additional KR's & PR's. Really that is supposed to be one of his best assets, but he didn't really impress that much before the injury. Since they are trying to convert him to CB he might stick, to lend depth.

I agree with your assessment, though I don't believe that Hawkins or Andrews is guaranteed a spot..

I don't think Hawkins is guaranteed a spot, but he's more likely to make the '07 roster than not. He's a decent backup, but I don't think he's back for the '08 campaign

I think that many of the FS in this draft have the ability to cover the slot receiver.

Yea, there are some pretty good coverage Safeties in this draft, and a few of them are also good on special teams, as well. This draft should be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes