PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

#1 Need For the Draft: SAFETY

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is also one SIGNIFICANT tea leave to read. BB/SP have NOT signed any depth LBs. Is that a sign that they expect to invest in LBs in this draft? What is different about this draft? It has 4 to 6, 3-4 ILB candidates, and but 1 or 2 of the 3-4 DE/OLBs conversion candidates.

We have an old guy and a younger vet, both have been injured; both have been mentioned for the pro bowl before their injuries; behind them we have ZERO, three UDFA ST type scrubs...

Yup... I'd draft to fill that position we have Tedy Bruschi who is old and often injured. The other guy is younger Mike Vrabel 31, but has been injured with a bad back. The depth is nonexistent consisting of undrafted scrubs/ST types.

What's the point? Everyone knows they need LB's, that is not being debated here. NE has 10 picks, and could surely take some good LB's, Safeties, and CB's with those picks, along with players at other positions. Also, AD plays both ILB, and OLB so he does add some depth to the LB corp. They still need Backers, though.

In fairness (=leap of faith?), I think when people say "we need to come out of the first round of the draft with a LB and a S" they are hoping that the LB and S are first round talent. That is, they are hoping for 'Nelson and Siler' and not 'Weddle and Harris'. Well I think that's what they mean anyway.

I understand that you see only Landry on your board for first round LBs and S.

Exactly - thanks for that clarification. That has been exactly my thinking in all of my posts in this thread (need a first round Safety -IF AVAILABLE) - ie don't reach on a 2nd rounder with one of our 1st round picks. Hopefully one of the top three safeties will fall to us at 24 or 28 and then we take a first round talent safety with one of our first rounders.

I am actually hoping that when Pats will be on the clock at pick 24 - they will have 3-4 equally ranked players available (at positions S, LB, or CB) and then can trade down to a upper round 2 pick with pick 24 and then take one of the remaining 3-4 equally ranked players at #28. If we don't move down then hopefully a first round talent will be available at both #24 & #28 for S, LB or CB. I don't see why several mock drafts have us picking a OT with # 28. Hell we survived a couple of years with B. Gorin / T. Ashworth at RT for jimminy Christmas. Are Kazur and Callahan that mediocre? Is M, Light getting that old? I always though in an offensive line, continuity was a very important factor. I say go crazy on defensive picks this year. Go for need but if the value isn't there when it's your turn to pick , then trade down. Bioli have done this time and time again - not stand pat with their assigned picks.

Also hoping other teams will go heavy on positions NOT of need for the Pats in the first round ie. WR, DE, NT, QB, TE, OL, etc and leave us a good choice of LB's, CB's and Safeties to choose from. With our 2 first round picks, and not to many glaring holes in our current roster, I expect the usual Bioli draft day shuffle with lots of wheeling and dealing. With our current 6 picks and 3 or 4 comp picks - I don't see us drafting 9-10 players. Several of them would just end up getting cut after TC. I expect alot of positioning either this draft to target specific players in our very few areas of weakness (thinking for this and next year) or trading picks to next years draft (with the usual one round up increase next year).

Just my two Øre (danish cents) for what that will buy nowadays - probably not even a bazooka Joe bubble gum.

Especially when you consider Harrison, Wilson, and Hawkins aren't special teams players.
Rodney may not get as much use on STs this season, but I'm not sure I'd expect them to shelter Geno too much in a contract year. Hawkins tied Izzo for #2 in STs' tackles last season, if he's playing behind Geno again, I'd be surprised not to see him on the teams.

...Baker wouldn't have been signed.
I would have thought so too, but Reiss was reporting he was re-signed to a two year contract as an RFA leaving me wondering what we'll be seeing from him with a full off-season and Training Camp?
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2007/03/contract_follow.html
One point of note is that Baker's deal is a two-year package. His base salaries are $510,000 for 2007 and $605,000 for 2008. Baker, who appeared in six regular-season games for the Patriots in 2006 after being claimed on waivers, was a restricted free agent.

I most definately disagree with this. Thomas replaces Willie.

Thomas, Bruschi, Colvin and Vrabel is all we have with garbage for depth on the bench.

4 LB spots with 4 LB's=No Depth

Which is exactly what the Colts did to us in the AFCC game. They preyed on our weakness at LB by using TE's to kill us.

Our safeties were getting burnt like toast too. Where was Harrison when we needed him? Oh yeah that's right on the IR. :)

I know that you have been frustrated for years because of BB's refusal to draft linebackers early as you have openly lusted for, but in the end it goes down to organizational philosophy and what talent becomes available at our picks.

I'd rather see the Pats draft a DB they feel is 1st round value than reach for a linebacker they feel is 2nd round talent.

A few guys I wouldn't mind in Patriots uniform that are linebackers - Willis, Spencer, DeOssie. Maybe that Harris kid from Michigan. Some of these guys are not true 1st round talents though. The Patriots should trade down if they want to get one of those other guys.

There is also one SIGNIFICANT tea leave to read. BB/SP have NOT signed any depth LBs. Is that a sign that they expect to invest in LBs in this draft?
It's not a sign of anything. Depth guys are still out there. Seau, Hartwell, lots of others. We have the same guys returning, some depth options depending how the draft goes. Your tea leaves are really your wishful thinking.

Not to rub it in anyones noses as we all have our own opinions - but a respected NFL website also agrees with my contention of Safety being the Pats # 1 need.
The website 'NFL Draft Scout' ranks Pats needs in the following order:
1) Safety 2) LB 3) CB (a short explanation for their reasoning can be found by clicking on the link below)

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/teams/teampdanalysis.php?teamid=19

Goes without saying but I'll re-emphasize, naturally I would only draft a Safety at # 24 or # 28 if the value is there / right player for our system. I just hope the draft works out and one of those top tier Safeties (plus a ILB) falls to us just like V. Wolfork fell to us a few drafts ago. Can the days leading up to the draft go any slower?? :rolleyes:

Not to rub it in anyones noses as we all have our own opinions - but a respected NFL website also agrees with my contention of Safety being the Pats # 1 need.

this is all I go :rofl:

like i have been saying. Meriweather is better than Griffin and Nelson in coverage

i found someone to agree with me..Mike Mayock on top 25 prospects said Meriweather is the best cover safety in the draft.

like i have been saying. Meriweather is better than Griffin and Nelson in coverage

i found someone to agree with me..Mike Mayock on top 25 prospects said Meriweather is the best cover safety in the draft.

Yup, I agree too. Meriweather is the second best Safety in this draft, behind only Landy. Mayock also has Meriweather ranked second behind Landry, so I guess we're not alone.

Last edited:
Yup, I agree too. Meriweather is the second best Safety in this draft, behind only Landy. Mayock also has Meriweather ranked second behind Landry, so I guess we're not alone.

I'm more worried about Merriweather's character and attitude than talent. Get someone to vouch for THAT, then I'd consider him a notch higher as a Pats draft prospect.
I'd rather have a safety that leads the league in interceptions than arrests. But I'm sure that Marv Lewis' drafting philosophy works for his team... Go Bengals!

Last edited:
I'm more worried about Merriweather's character and attitude than talent. Get someone to vouch for THAT, then I'd consider him a notch higher as a Pats draft prospect.
I'd rather have a safety that leads the league in interceptions than arrests. But I'm sure that Marv Lewis' drafting philosophy works for his team... Go Bengals!

Yea, the question marks are the only thing keeping him from being a slam dunk first rounder. I don't think he's the head case people think he is, though. Brandon's never been arrested for anything, and he's never tested positive for any substances, so I wouldn't put him in the "leading the league in arrest" Pac Man Jones country. Plus, we need to remember he'd be coming to the Patriots, where the lockerroom consist of a lot of good guys, who would keep him straight. If Cincy, Miami, Tenn, or SD picked him I would worry a little more about his possibly having some problems, because of their recent histories.

One thing that needs to be pointed out is all the Miami coaches loved him, said he's a good kid, and he's one of the team captains. Really, I think he would be fine if picked by NE, and his playing ability would surprise some of those who haven't seen him all that much.

Right now I don't have Meriweather down for the Patriots because of the already mentioned "question marks", but if they picked him it's pretty obvious I'd be happy.:)

this is all I go :rofl:

um, ok, - care to elaborate??

Glad I can make people laugh !

"" You mean, let me understand this cause, ya know maybe it's me, I'm a little f&@ked up maybe, but I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to f&@kin' amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny? "" - Goodfellas (1990)

The website 'NFL Draft Scout' ranks Pats needs in the following order:
1) Safety 2) LB 3) CB (a short explanation for their reasoning can be found by clicking on the link below)
I consider Safety and Linebacker of equal importance in that I would like the Pats find some more youth to develop there behind the starters. As long as Asante is re-signed, youth at CB is more of a late round need.

um, ok, - care to elaborate??

Glad I can make people laugh !

"" You mean, let me understand this cause, ya know maybe it's me, I'm a little f&@ked up maybe, but I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to f&@kin' amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny? "" - Goodfellas (1990)

the part where you said "but a respected NFL website also agrees with my contention of Safety being the Pats # 1 need." anyone with a computer and an internet connection can be an expert these and the fact that you tried to bolster your argument by saying some internet site agreed with you is as the Jesus would say from the Big Lebowski, "laughble man. your bush league slacker sh!t won't work here. Liam and Me, we f@ck you on Saterday." :rofl:

2 visits for Meriweather..i guess that means we arent as concerned with attitude as some of yo u guys are

2 visits for Meriweather..i guess that means we arent as concerned with attitude as some of yo u guys are

yeah i saw that. i'm curious about this move by us.

Curious, I would think that two interviews emans we ahve no interest at all.

Curious, I would think that two interviews emans we ahve no interest at all.

didn't we have 2 meetings with C-Jax last year one to give him the film plays and a second to quiz him?

didn't we have 2 meetings with C-Jax last year one to give him the film plays and a second to quiz him?

yep. and im sure we've had more in past.

if the attitude was such a big deal..we wouldnt bring him in once yet alone twice. we gave him 1 chance to meet him..now another probably to give him some good work

If the Patriots are satisfied with Meriweather's character questions, I will give the kid the benefit of a doubt, because I believe the Pats do their homework before they invest a pick. Until he gets drafted though we won't know for sure if this move is more of a smokescreen deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back