PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

1/3rd of the way through the season, the offseason criticism of Belichick seems way off base

upstater1

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
Belichick was ripped this offseason for a variety of things:

1. Changing the offense
2. Assigning Matt Patricia to calling plays
3. Assigning Joe Judge to QBs
4. Trading Shaq Mason
5. Letting JC Jackson and Ted Karras go
6. The entire NFL draft and all the reaches
7. Losing his fastball when it comes to coaching
8. Not having an innovator like McVay or Shanahan

So far we're seeing:

1. The old offense may have been too difficult for anyone without Brady at the helm. McDaniels' offense is difficult to teach, and even when your team is full of veterans like Carr, Davante Adams, Renfrow, Waller, Jacobs, it may not look pretty. Perhaps simplifying things is important.
2. Still don't know about Patricia, it may not work out; it looks better than some offenses so far BUT that OL plan (power runs) early yesterday wasn't working out for the Patriots running game. When Patriots started zone blocking, that's when the Browns loosened up. I credit Patricia for that. AT LEAST.
3. Judge is bringing along a 3rd string rookie. Everything looks fine so far. Coaching up a rookie from a small school to play well in the NFL is commendable.
4. Mason had yet another game where he was overwhelmed in pass protection. Brady freaked out on his OL yesterday. Bucs fans are openly moaning about Mason's play.
5. The 3 Jones's.
6. Everyone else
7. Team is overperforming the talent--we should be 4-2 if not for an injury
8. McVay and Shanahan oversee popgun offenses even though they have players like Deebo, Kittle, Kupp, Stafford, etc. Maybe they need to innovate a new offense.

Will we go into the offseason again ripping Belichick for his coaching deficiencies?

Last edited:
This isn't the first time Bill has been doubted or criticized. The doubt and tears from his haters is what has fuelled and sustained this dynasty for two decades.

1. Changing the offense
So far the Zappe offense looks similar to last year's offense as in it is more conservative with a "take what's there" approach as to whatever the hell they were trying to do with Mac chucking it all over the place the first few weeks.

2. Assigning Matt Patricia to calling plays
So far I think Patricia is doing a good job to my surprise. I think there has been a decent balance with Zappe and he has done a good job of working Thornton in and getting a good balance of passes and runs with Rhamondre.

3. Assigning Joe Judge to QBs
Another pleasant surprise is the fact Judge has apparently been able to coach up a fourth round rookie. Zappe looks poised and ready to play and hasn't killed us with mistakes.

4. Trading Shaq Mason
Still don't love the trade but Strange has been good (which he needs to be to even come close to justifying a first round guard). I don't know how Mason has played this year but I know that offensive line as a whole as struggled and in turn the offense has struggled. I assume Brady will turn it around but Tampa may be getting 2019 Brady who is ready to wrap it up and be done.

5. Letting JC Jackson and Ted Karras go
Jackson was a guy who I always assumed was gone so I didnt kill Bill on that move but Karras was bungled a bit and I would have rather paid him than spent a first round pick on a guard.

6. The entire NFL draft and all the reaches
Bill had some very bad drafts for a pretty long stretch but this draft very early on looks to be a home run. Strange has been solid, Thornton looks promising and the two Jones DB's look like players. Getting Zappe as a 4th round rookie who has been able to play well and win games with Mac out is the icing on the cake.

7. Losing his fastball when it comes to coaching
Better than anyone as far as the X's and O's of it all. I think that was on full display against Detroit when I noticed when Bill did his usually effusive praise of the opponent he didn't mention "well coached".

8. Not having an innovator like McVay or Shanahan
I would still love to have an offensive mind like one of those guys but Bill has been able to patch it together with the rag-tag group of Patricia and Judge.

I don't know. We are 3-3. And currently in last place in the division. We are also in the middle of a QB controversy as well which means it is possible Bill missed badly on Mac at pick 15 while a guy like Zappe in the 4th round seems more akin to running the offense in a Brady-like fashion.
Let's see how the rest of the season rolls as Bill's decision at QB is going to be monumental to the success/failure of this season.

I don't know. We are 3-3. And currently in last place in the division. We are also in the middle of a QB controversy as well which means it is possible Bill missed badly on Mac at pick 15 while a guy like Zappe in the 4th round seems more akin to running the offense in a Brady-like fashion.
Let's see how the rest of the season rolls as Bill's decision at QB is going to be monumental to the success/failure of this season.
Nope

Way too early a statement, but even if Zappe wins out, it doesn’t change the fact that he had the best rookie season of any of the QBs last year and arguably one of the top 5 all time (easily top 10). For a mid first round QB, that’s already better than par. They can easily recoup that first round pick.

9. Team Tom loyalists still butt-hurt and unable to get past the events of the summer of 2018 still lashing out against Bill because it's clear the Bucs window is closing and Tom is going to be picking a new team this off-season if not already doing so right now.

That’s crazy talk. Mac has a ton of value. Even if somehow zappe became our permanent starter we could easily trade mac for a high first round pick in return. Mac’s value far exceeds brittle noodle arm Jimmy G who went for # 41 overall

All we really know is BB's 2022 team is 0-3 vs "3 win" teams and 3-0 vs "2 wins or less" teams
----------------------------------
PS..... #LetZappeCook

That’s crazy talk. Mac has a ton of value. Even if somehow zappe became our permanent starter we could easily trade mac for a high first round pick in return. Mac’s value far exceeds brittle noodle arm Jimmy G who went for # 41 overall
One reason Jimmy G. only brought back a 2nd round draft pick is that I believe he was in the last year of his contract, and due a giant raise the next year. Mac still has 2 3/4 years on his rookie contract, so he is an absolute bargain financially. I don’t expect the team to move on from him, but if they did I think he could be traded for a very decent return. Think of what a Godsend he would be to a QB needy team with limited cap space, e.g. Saints, Panthers, Titans, or post-Brady Bucs.

Also it seems there would be lots of buyers this year given how many disappointing starting QBs are out there. It didn't feel the same way when JG was up for grabs.

EDIT: Heck, it even looks like Tampa will have an opening next season, and either of our rookie QBs are better than anyone they have on their roster. Lots of buyers, not many sellers.

Last edited:
Also it seems there would be lots of buyers this year given how many disappointing starting QBs are out there. It didn't feel the same way when JG was up for grabs.

EDIT: Heck, it even looks like Tampa will have an opening next season, and either of our rookie QBs are better than anyone they have on their roster. Lots of buyers, not many sellers.
I don't know what Tom or Tampa has to do with anything. You're obsessed.

I don't know what Tom or Tampa has to do with anything. You're obsessed.
If you're suggesting every poster to this board can make unbiased assessments about BB, I think you're deluding yourself.

You see what a Good Draft that produces Starters can do C Strange -J Jones -T Thronton and Zappe.:cool:

Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF

If you're suggesting every poster to this board can make unbiased assessments about BB, I think you're deluding yourself.
If you think injecting the Tom vs Bill debate into every single thread helps anything then you're deluding yourself.

Or, it means he was able to draft starting-caliber QBs in back to back drafts.

Having Karras still around would have been nice. Kicking Onwenu out to RT would have been an option rather than benching Wynn and the ghost of Marcus Cannon back and forth in favor of the other. The OL depth is still just hanging on by a thread.

One thing I'll eat my crow on (for now) is the secondary. I thought losing Jackson without significant investment to replace him would expose the other CBs. Nope. I don't even think the reason is necessarily Jack Jones, either. Everyone is just doing their job.

I'll also admit I was wrong on Mason. Thought we were giving up our best OL for virtually nothing, and spending a 1st to fix a problem we chose to create. Hasn't worked out that way so far.

I think it's also become clear that the offense can at least be functional under Patricia when the players don't make stupid ball security mistakes. Not really worried about the scheme anymore.

Having Karras still around would have been nice. Kicking Onwenu out to RT would have been an option rather than benching Wynn and the ghost of Marcus Cannon back and forth in favor of the other. The OL depth is still just hanging on by a thread.

One thing I'll eat my crow on (for now) is the secondary. I thought losing Jackson without significant investment to replace him would expose the other CBs. Nope. I don't even think the reason is necessarily Jack Jones, either. Everyone is just doing their job.

I'll also admit I was wrong on Mason. Thought we were giving up our best OL for virtually nothing, and spending a 1st to fix a problem we chose to create. Hasn't worked out that way so far.

I think it's also become clear that the offense can at least be functional under Patricia when the players don't make stupid ball security mistakes. Not really worried about the scheme anymore.
I think they've made up their minds that Onwenu isn't a starting caliber tackle and is much better served playing at guard.

I think they've made up their minds that Onwenu isn't a starting caliber tackle and is much better served playing at guard.
In a bubble, I can understand that. It's just tough watching Wynn out there (another thing I'll own up to being wrong about before the season is I had confidence in Wynn).

If you think injecting the Tom vs Bill debate into every single thread helps anything then you're deluding yourself.
If you are ignoring the fact that some fans and media members are still butt-hurt about the events of summer 2018 in a thread about the reasons why BB got ripped in the off-season, then you're being incredibly naive. Now that the coaching is looking solid, a lot of the same are silent or even back-tracking. Oh well, the general public has a short attention span. They'll find some new thing to stir up to try to look relevant and keep the clicks coming.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back