PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Zoltan to Steelers

Predicting what's going to happen several years out isn't my forte, but I would expect that it'll be relatively flat for at least the next two years. Remember that the cap in 2011 would have been even lower than it was in 2009 had they not "borrowed" money from future years.

OTOH, by being somewhat frugal, and having so many UDFAs this year, assuming some/most of them pan out, that will save them millions over the next two seasons, which they can push forward into later years.

Having about 1% of your cap knowledge, that's kind of what I'm assuming also.

That said, we may be able to get by again in terms of "kicking the can down the road" a bit, at least in this specific situation and position anyway.

However, I see other positions being different. The position of CB comes to mind, and we've been burned badly by kicking the can in my opinion. The lack of sufficient drafting has caused some problems for sure. Let's hope we're on the upswing in that aspect for the immediate future.

Zoltan Mesko Not What Is Best For The Team? - Musket Fire - A New England Patriots Fan Site - News, Blogs, Opinion and more.

The Patriots saved $921,500 against the cap this season by keeping Ryan Allen over Zoltan Mesko. Mesko would have been a free agent next offseason as well, so the Patriots had to consider the cost of keeping Mesko after next year. Mesko, barring injury, surely would have performed at a very high level, thus demanding a big contract to keep him going forward.

The Patriots success, in large part is due to managing their budget many years into the future, so they clearly had to consider that Mesko is represented by Athletes First. Athletes First is the firm that represents Wes Welker, who had very contentious negotiations with the Patriots before signing with the Broncos. Kraft in so many words implied that Athletes First misinformed Welker, thus creating a rift that drove Welker to choose the Denver deal, which financially, was very similar to what he could have had to stay in New England.

Athletes First also represents Aaron Hernandez. The Patriots are going to go through an arbitration or legal process to with-hold millions that is owed to Hernandez. This takes money directly out of the pocket of this organization, so it makes sense that the Patrtiots don’t want to have to negotiate contracts with other players represented by this firm.

Good for Zoltan. Very likable fellow who did great things in the community with children. He was a class act.

The competition was close and it appears that money and signability won out.

My big concern is Allen's ability to hold for PAT and FGs. Aiken is a bit wild with his snaps and Mesko did a good job holding.

We shall see!!!

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back