PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Zolak: 'Adalius Thomas not getting it done'

Status
Not open for further replies.
BB falls in love with LBs, always has. FAs Colvin then AD have changed his mind. I think the most telling thing happened months ago when Bruschi retired and AD didnt get the Green Dot. Mayo got it and went down, in game 2 did AD have it?? Nope, Guyton. He is supposed to be a 3 down LB why wouldnt he be the defensive leader???
This is a guy who got PAID to be a playmaker and hasnt lived up to it. BB is like the rest of us, he has noticed that there have been very few "big plays" made on either side of the ball this year. We got some turnovers this week but I'm not sure this game will tell us anything about our defense moving forward. And the defensive passing stats are completely useless,lol.

GJ Zolak, keep up the good work.

I feel that the problem with the production of our front 7 comes with the mixing up of the schemes and alignments this season....First they are playing a 4-3 with certain responsibilities and then they switch to a 3-4....Most people would say they are professionals and it shouldn't be that hard but it is....You have different responsibilities and in some instances you are lining up behind or next to different players....BB needs to stay with the same players for a couple of games to let them gel and learn each others tendencies and then they can become a stout defensive unit....Trusting the guy next to is the biggest part of line play in football.....Now on topic I believe that AD still has the tools to make plays for us....He is just being asked to play different positions and do different things....I believe his strength is playing OLB in the 3-4 and rushing off the edge more.....Our secondary has shown they can cover and so I would like to see AD getting more pressure....I believe he still has gas in his tank and can help our defense out tremendously but they need to stop moving everyone around, set a defense and let them learn together.....

Re my earlier comments, whever I saw him rush he was stoned, absolutely stoned.

Now maybe he shouldn't be, and maybe I"m just wrong, but I never see him put pressure on the qb. Bust aroo.

Yes, Colvin and AD have been disappointing. However, Belichick's love for linebackers hasn't changed because these guys were injured so many times. Perhaps Belichick's love for long-term contracts for free agents may be gone. In any case, he did also picked up Vrabel and Seau which somewhat balanced the other two.

This year, Belichick re-signed Woods (who many her wanted to cut) and brought in Burgess, Banta-Cain and Ninkovich. They are doing fine as our OLB's in their various roles. Belichick has recently brought in Seau. We are fine with Mayo, Guyton and Seau.

Now, if we just had drafted Laurinitis. :)

BB falls in love with LBs, always has. FAs Colvin then AD have changed his mind. I think the most telling thing happened months ago when Bruschi retired and AD didnt get the Green Dot. Mayo got it and went down, in game 2 did AD have it?? Nope, Guyton. He is supposed to be a 3 down LB why wouldnt he be the defensive leader???
This is a guy who got PAID to be a playmaker and hasnt lived up to it. BB is like the rest of us, he has noticed that there have been very few "big plays" made on either side of the ball this year. We got some turnovers this week but I'm not sure this game will tell us anything about our defense moving forward. And the defensive passing stats are completely useless,lol.

Suddenly Colvin is a "bust?" Truly, some of you folks would be whining if Andre Tippet was in his prime and playing today.

Colvin was a tough injury in 03, but came on stong at the end of 04, played well in 05 and 06, but started to tail off in 07. Did the Pats realize equal value to the investment they put forth? Probobly not, but he wasn't a bust.

I'm still at a loss as to why people think AD was a bust prior to this season. He played out of position for most of 07 and prior to injury, put up very respectable numbers in 08. Statistically, he played close to the same level as he did in BAL. AD has not been a total bust- yet. If hes a regular member of the inactive list for the remainder of the season, I'll change my position.

Based on his PC statements yesterday, I do think BB has an issue with some aspect of his commitment to his craft/team. Hopefully, he can turn it around and be a productive force in this defense.

My .02$

Let's be clear. Colvin was not a bust for the patriots. HOWEVER, IMHO, there is no way that Belichick would have paid what he did if he could have foreseen the production that Colvin had as a patriot.

The same is likely to be true for AD.

Injuries suck! I am not saying that the deals were bad when made.

Suddenly Colvin is a "bust?" Truly, some of you folks would be whining if Andre Tippet was in his prime and playing today.

Last edited:
Let's be clear. Colvin was not a bust for the patriots. HOWEVER, IMHO, there is no way that Belichick would have paid what he did if he could have foreseen the production that Colvin had as a patriot.

I agree. As we all know, you pay FAs based on past-production, potential production within the system and market value.

If Colvin doesn't blow out his hip, he would have been a monster in this D.

The AD situation is curious. Hope there is not some kind of off-the-field personal issue effecting his play.

I feel that the problem with the production of our front 7 comes with the mixing up of the schemes and alignments this season....First they are playing a 4-3 with certain responsibilities and then they switch to a 3-4....Most people would say they are professionals and it shouldn't be that hard but it is....You have different responsibilities and in some instances you are lining up behind or next to different players....BB needs to stay with the same players for a couple of games to let them gel and learn each others tendencies and then they can become a stout defensive unit....Trusting the guy next to is the biggest part of line play in football.....Now on topic I believe that AD still has the tools to make plays for us....He is just being asked to play different positions and do different things....I believe his strength is playing OLB in the 3-4 and rushing off the edge more.....Our secondary has shown they can cover and so I would like to see AD getting more pressure....I believe he still has gas in his tank and can help our defense out tremendously but they need to stop moving everyone around, set a defense and let them learn together.....

Obviously, BB does not share your belief. Pats played a 3-4 yesterday and AD wasn't in the lineup. There might be some practise field, locker room, or possibly over the top players union issue going on. Earlier this year, AD had publicly advocated feigning injury were the NFL to expand the season w/o proportional pay increases. Tin foil hat off...it's sadly gotta be really poor game performance.

Last edited:

The same is likely to be true for AD.

Injuries suck! I am not saying that the deals were bad when made.
It's nice when we're "clear," which is why I used quotes on a word choice which made no sense in the context of Colvin's performance for NE. I think losing Rosy to a foot injury in 2007 was a key factor in the way that season ended. He played okay for being signed off the couch in 2008, about what I expected for a guy with his history of injury catching up to him - I know whereof he was with that burden.

Rosy sacrificed his body and long term health to play hard and well for NE, I for one am grateful for his play and sorry he paid such a price for the game he loved - he was worth every penny.

I agree. As we all know, you pay FAs based on past-production, potential production within the system and market value.

If Colvin doesn't blow out his hip, he would have been a monster in this D.

The AD situation is curious. Hope there is not some kind of off-the-field personal issue effecting his play.

That's what Dale and Holley were just wondering aloud about. Noting he missed multiple practices for non football/injury reasons of late. Has he got some humble pie stuck in his craw since being named the player rep for this team? Vrabel's attitude seemed somewhat different after he took on that task. Both of them played hurt in their careers and didn't like the way that effected the way they were perceived here of late. Or is there something going on in his private life that is impacting his ability to do his job consistently? Because if a guy isn't getting it done on the field while Bill might not activate him the last thing Bill would do is give him multiple passes on practicing...

That's what Dale and Holley were just wondering aloud about. Noting he missed multiple practices for non football/injury reasons of late. Has he got some humble pie stuck in his craw since being named the player rep for this team? Vrabel's attitude seemed somewhat different after he took on that task. Both of them played hurt in their careers and didn't like the way that effected the way they were perceived here of late. Or is there something going on in his private life that is impacting his ability to do his job consistently? Because if a guy isn't getting it done on the field while Bill might not activate him the last thing Bill would do is give him multiple passes on practicing...

Didn't a caller to the D&H show mention that Deion Sanders said on NFLN that he had talked to Thomas who told Sanders he was unhappy with the situation, but that it was going to be straightened out? At least that's what I think I heard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft