PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

You guys will be thanking Bill in the future....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dues, I'm talking about players through FA. And besides, they did get rid of Seymour when his contract was about to eat a hole in the cap. They also got rid of Samuel to avoid paying a huge contract. I'm just saying that it seems Bill likes to distribute cash a little bit more evenly throughout the roster. Of course there are the Wilforks and Bradys that get paid, but there's only so many players you can pay top dollar at the same time.

It seems like BB thinks there's more upside to signing Ellis, Carter, Anderson, Haynesworth to your Defensive line then signing Julius Peppers and JAGs for the same money. I'm not saying that it's a bad Idea to sign big name FAs but sometimes there are less "flashy" options that work just as good.

I'm dealing with Fencer about this on a different thread, so I'll just end this with where that one's pretty much ended:

In the last 5 years, the Patriots have found 3 "impact" players through the use of the bargain basement approach to free agency, and they were all last year (Carter, Anderson, Waters).

Last edited:
What does Belichick know, hes a terrible GM, hes only built 5 Super Bowl teams.

If you're going to use sarcasm, at least get your facts right. Ever heard the name Pioli?

I'm fully expecting another defense that yet again cant get off the ******* field. Giants shortest drive in the SB was 9 plays...PUKE. Too mant average players on this defense, not many play makers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm dealing with Fencer about this on a different thread, so I'll just end this with where that one's pretty much ended:

In the last 5 years, the Patriots have found 3 "impact" players through the use of the bargain basement approach to free agency, and they were all last year (Carter, Anderson, Waters).

In the last 5 years, the Patriots have won more games than any other team. No rings, but you can't win a ring every year. Although there has been a lack of "impact" players, they are still winning.

Spoiled fans piss me off so much. I want the team to be smart and stay competive even after Brady look at the 2008 season (and yes i'll give that it was a weak schedule) they still just barely missed the playoffs with out Brady that's what I want a team that pushes the playoffs every year i'll take 10 wins a year any day of the week

I try to take a kinder view...

Even though the team overachieved (in a BIG way given so many disadvantages such as a nearly non-existent offseason and free agency FOLLOWING the draft) it is tantalizing and frustrating to come so close to winning a Super Bowl and then be just ONE play (pick one, any one) from winning.

I don't fault any fan for expressing that frustration. They're fans - it's expected.

Those who "criticize" Belichick's offseason moves or lack thereof, are not necessarily wrong. Belichick has and does make mistakes and he would be the first to admit it.

Like any one of those plays that could have gone differently, any one of those personnel moves made or not made could have been the difference between a close win (or blowout win) in the Super Bowl.

Although I don't see how anyone can fault the Defense for their Super Bowl performance, the reality is that the Defense needs signficant improvement - credit Belichick for getting far more out of them than any other coach could, but I expect Belichick himself laments not having certain cogs of the wheel last season.

The same goes for offense - I assume Belichick felt that Ochocinco had enough speed and talent to be our deep threat last season, even if it was going to be solely in that limited role.

I was open about my concerns with Ocho's 2010 numbers being poor - and unfortunately I wound up being right about that in 2011.

I think having that one additional tool on the field, to stretch the defense, open up the middle of the field and keep pressure off the OLine, open up the running game and most importantly limit pressure on Brady would have paid dividends - or at least one dividend enough to turn one play in our favor in that game - and possibly result in a Super Bowl win.

Hindsight is 20/20 and enacting a plan is far different from having a plan - especially with 31 other teams working to thwart your offseason plan.

The good news is that no one is better at adapting on the fly than Belichick, and regardless of what happens this offseason, I think we can expect them to be contenders once again - something everyone should always appreciate.

If he doesn't sign any of these "big name" FAs. In a couple years we will be able to offer Hernandez and Gronk (as well as others) contracts they won't have to walk away from. That is what may be most crucial to maintaining a great offense over the next 6-7 years rather than signing a V Jax or Mike Wallace right now. In the upcoming months they will make the necessary trades and acquire the necessary players through the draft to contend for another SB.

The funny thing is if we did sign some big name FAs no one would start a thread about how the heck we are going to resign Gronk and Herendez in a few years

If he doesn't sign any of these "big name" FAs. In a couple years we will be able to offer Hernandez and Gronk (as well as others) contracts they won't have to walk away from. That is what may be most crucial to maintaining a great offense over the next 6-7 years rather than signing a V Jax or Mike Wallace right now. In the upcoming months they will make the necessary trades and acquire the necessary players through the draft to contend for another SB.

You will be shocked to know this but the Cap resets every year and there is a cap floor that has to be reached moving forward.

The correct statement should be
The defense played well enough to win A game, and the defense did not play well enough to win THAT game.

The defense absolutely played well enough to win. Just like it was in 2007, I blame the offense for the Superbowl loss. The Patriots averaging 30+ pts per game, to come out and score 17 in the Superbowl? Had the offense done their job and the defense done exactly what they did, people would be saying how great the D played...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft