PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WR...free agency or the draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.
wonder if the bucs are going after any WRs..if so pats may be SOL

To quote NESN:

"In 2009, Condon told the Boston Herald that his firm "pretends there are only 31 franchises in the NFL now," and he claimed that the Patriots "pretend we (CAA) don't exist."

And the Pats tried to get Branch to fire his agent in 2006 because they wanted no part in dealing with him. But they did when they traded for Branch. And they probably will again this offseason.

LaDanian Tomlinson said that he would like to play for the Pats and he is a Condon client.

Also, the Pats tried to trade for Lloyd this past season, but he didn't want to sign a long term deal anywhere so he could test free agency and the Pats wouldn't trade for him without a new deal. So the Pats already have negotiated with Condon regarding Lloyd.

If the Pats want Lloyd, Condon being his agent won't stand in the way. They already tried to acquire him in the past year. The last time they tried and failed to acquire a WR, they got him the next offseason (Randy Moss).

There are plenty of balls to go around. For this offense to get to the next level, and become championship quality (having dropped of significantly in playoff games), Welker and the TE's need to be targeted less often. That will make them more dependable in the big games. The offense is overly dependent on them now.

So I'm happy to take catches away from them and have those catches go to WR's. That would actually lead to an increase in completion %, creating more catches for everyone.

Your math doesn't hold up to scrutiny. Welker, Gronk and Ahern all finished with catch rates over 70%. I'd guess that it's extremely rare for the three top pass-catchers on one team to all finish over 70%. In contrast, the average catch rate for top WRs who work outside the numbers and deep is certainly under 60% and even lower for guys who go deep a lot. There's no way that shifting Brady's targets away from the three amigos results in anything but a LOWER overall completion percentage.

Also, the Pats tried to trade for Lloyd this past season, but he didn't want to sign a long term deal anywhere so he could test free agency and the Pats wouldn't trade for him without a new deal. So the Pats already have negotiated with Condon regarding Lloyd.

No they didn't.

Lloyd just hired Condon in the last few weeks. During the time they were exploring trading for him he was represented by David Dunn.

BostonHerald.com - Blogs: Rap Sheet» Blog Archive » Understanding why the situation around WR Brandon Lloyd got complicated for the Patriots…

Last edited:
No they didn't.

Lloyd just hired Condon in the last few weeks. During the time they were exploring trading for him he was represented by David Dunn.

BostonHerald.com - Blogs: Rap Sheet» Blog Archive » Understanding why the situation around WR Brandon Lloyd got complicated for the Patriots…

I already admitted I was wrong in another thread.

I still think if the Pats want him, this won't stop them from exploring that option. Not all of Condon's clients get above market deals and with the depth of WRs in free agency and Lloyd's perceived reputation (attitude issues and a product of the McDaniels' system), he isn't probably going to break the bank.

I wonder if Tampa's going to pull off what the Eagles did last year.

Up until today, when I learned that Condon was the agent for Brandon Lloyd, I felt confident that Lloyd would be on their list of signings. Now, with that knowledge, I feel confident that Lloyd won't be a signing unless he dumps Condon..

Up until today, when I learned that Condon was the agent for Brandon Lloyd, I felt confident that Lloyd would be on their list of signings. Now, with that knowledge, I feel confident that Lloyd won't be a signing unless he dumps Condon..

Thats unfortunate, I was watching some Lloyde interviews. He gave Mcdaniels a lot of credit for his breakout 2010 season, is a huge fan of TB, Manning in and really expressed a desire to play some post season games and potentially win a SB. He didn't seem concerned about personal greatness just wants to help win games. Music to my ears:)

Doesn't Condon have to respect his clients wishes, if he wants the move?

Thats unfortunate, I was watching some Lloyde interviews. He gave Mcdaniels a lot of credit for his breakout 2010 season, is a huge fan of TB, Manning in and really expressed a desire to play some post season games and potentially win a SB. He didn't seem concerned about personal greatness just wants to help win games. Music to my ears:)

Doesn't Condon have to respect his clients wishes, if he wants the move?

As Rappaport quoted in his article of Condon "We believe there are only 31 teams and they don't believe our clients exist" or something to that effect..

It's been 8 years and the Pats, under Belichick, haven't wavered from not dealing with Condon...to my knowledge, anyways..

As Rappaport quoted in his article of Condon "We believe there are only 31 teams and they don't believe our clients exist" or something to that effect..

It's been 8 years and the Pats, under Belichick, haven't wavered from not dealing with Condon...to my knowledge, anyways..

Jeff Howe tweeted
Two-Minute Drill: Can Brandon Lloyd be the guy who ends the cold war between the Patriots and Tom Condon?
ww.nesn.com/2012/02/reuniting-brandon-lloyd-with-josh-mcdaniels-an-interesting-possibility-and-19-other-patriots-thought.html

:cool:

Jeff Howe tweeted
Two-Minute Drill: Can Brandon Lloyd be the guy who ends the cold war between the Patriots and Tom Condon?
ww.nesn.com/2012/02/reuniting-brandon-lloyd-with-josh-mcdaniels-an-interesting-possibility-and-19-other-patriots-thought.html

:cool:

Corrected the link for you..
Reuniting Brandon Lloyd With Josh McDaniels an Interesting Possibility and 19 Other Patriots Thoughts - Patriots Two-Minute Drill - NESN.com

Also, one of the things that I am iffy on is Lloyd in the locker-room. Supposedly he was bad mojo in Washington and Denver. Not sure about St. Louis. But there are plenty of reports about Denver and Washington to make one weary..

pats and condon obviously have some bad blood, but the guy's got, like, a hundred clients, and works for a major company, now --- I'm sure if lloyd wanted to come over here condon could send a lackey to the meetings to cut the deal.
I can't believe he negotiates every single deal by himself.

although, it seems a lot more doubtful since I heard about condon.

pats and condon obviously have some bad blood, but the guy's got, like, a hundred clients, and works for a major company, now --- I'm sure if lloyd wanted to come over here condon could send a lackey to the meetings to cut the deal.
I can't believe he negotiates every single deal by himself.

although, it seems a lot more doubtful since I heard about condon.

Hasn't negotiated a deal with us since Watson:bricks:
Condon has to operate on his behalf or persuade him otherwise I guess. I'm not getting my hopes up, just annoyed by the idea of an agent running potential interference against the interests of both sides.

I think the problem comes in where pats won't be looking to pay lloyd top dollar, and condon will be in lloyd's ear to sign a top dollar deal with another team.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

fix the defense throught free agency and use a first or a 2th on a KR/PR/WR

why no one will say it is bothering me...so I'll say it...I was an advocate of signing Lloyd...by him signing with Condon, he's made a clear statement through action that he has no intention of "coming over" to be with Josh, and in fact, is sending a clear signal he does NOT want to be with the Patriots, unless it is for more money than any other team will pay him.

Well said.

Lloyd has made his decision not to play with the patriots by signing Condon.

why no one will say it is bothering me...so I'll say it...I was an advocate of signing Lloyd...by him signing with Condon, he's made a clear statement through action that he has no intention of "coming over" to be with Josh, and in fact, is sending a clear signal he does NOT want to be with the Patriots, unless it is for more money than any other team will pay him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News