PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WR Depth Chart

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would not dream of saying that I know or understand what you think. I make deductions from your posts.

So, let us be clear. If Dobson and one of LeFell/Boyce/Thompkins are doing reasonably well in camp, would you keep Amendola at his $3M-$4M or would you trade him?

I do not think there is a trade market for Amendola. The only way I could envision him being traded is if he was a throw in as part of a Mallett to the Texans. Teams are not going to give up a pick for him because they will not want to pay him the remaining $20.5M on his contract.

Speaking of mind boggling I'm surprised anyone is still talking about adding another Wr via draft or free agency. There is so much depth I just can't see where they would get any playing time.

Edelman
LaFell
Dobson
Amendola
Boyce
Thomkins

As it is right now that's a pretty good set with a few ready to makes strides from their rookie seasons.

You sign Britt to either a "prove it" deal or a deal that's easy to get out of. If he fails, he gets cut. If he can regain his form from 2009-2010, you've got a guy who's got legit WR1 talent and has something to prove.

You don't skip over that because a few fans think Boyce is the bee's knees.

I expect that Amendola will reinjure the groin in camp and end up on PUP for the first half of the year.

Zero chance of that happening.

Amdendola's contract calls for him to be paid $3M-$4M for 2014, with the TEAM having an option to keep him for 2015 and 2016. You speak as if a team trading for Amendola is in some way committing $20.5M. That simply isn't true.

Maybe this is too high for anyone to want. Maybe it isn't.

Obviously, it isn't worth it for you who do think that we should keep him even though he is likely to be injured and go on the PUP list.

I do not think there is a trade market for Amendola. The only way I could envision him being traded is if he was a throw in as part of a Mallett to the Texans. Teams are not going to give up a pick for him because they will not want to pay him the remaining $20.5M on his contract.

If you want to know what I expect I will tell you it is not a trade or a release. I expect that Amendola will reinjure the groin in camp and end up on PUP for the first half of the year. I think some of the release and trade rumors came as a result of the Patriots wanting him to have surgery and him opting against it. That is pure speculation on my part but I noticed that the report that Amendola would not have surgery came the same week that Arrington had surgery and that following week trade and release rumors began. It could be coincidence but that is my thinking.

Is lafell really good enough to be a number 2 receiver!?

Probably not. However if he learns the system and can work well with Brady he can be a solid #3.

The WRs I have hope for are Edelman, Dobson & Lafell. If Amendola can stay healthy add him too. Maybe we get help from Thompkins/Boyce/Harrison/Collie/whoever (FAs or drafties).

That is not a good core but not horrible. Brady can work with it.

I see it like this

Edelman - 900 yards
Dobson - 900 yards (maybe more)
LaFell - 700 yards
Amendola - ??? (wildcard)

If Gronk is healthy and we get another TE that can help we can have a potent O.

You sign Britt to either a "prove it" deal or a deal that's easy to get out of. If he fails, he gets cut. If he can regain his form from 2009-2010, you've got a guy who's got legit WR1 talent and has something to prove.

If possible I sign Britt & Austin to 1 year prove it deals without much guaranteed. Worse comes to worse you just cut them and lose little to nothing.

If possible I sign Britt & Austin to 1 year prove it deals without much guaranteed. Worse comes to worse you just cut them and lose little to nothing.

I don't know if they should sign Britt. They'll see his medical history and see his physical results, and they'll get a bit of a handle on his attitude. I just know that, if you think he's got a shot at rounding into form and he's not going to be a big locker room problem, you don't pass on him because Josh Boyce caught 6 passes last year and looks quick.

I think it's scary that Patriots fans have become so steeped in the cult of Belichick that they'd rather pass on talent than cut a mid-to-low round pick who showed basically nothing as a rookie.

I think it's scary that Patriots fans have become so steeped in the cult of Belichick that they'd rather pass on talent than cut a mid-to-low round pick who showed basically nothing as a rookie.

I think it's a phenomenon where people focus 100% on the potential and pay little heed to the tangible evidence (thus far). They see Boyce's physical tools, back it up in their memory with the 4-5 plays where he utilized those tools, then extrapolate an assumed 2nd year jump and voila! He's Donte Stallworth in his prime.

I think what's equally important to trying to upgrade or provide competition for players like Boyce is to look at the natural attrition in the NFL. Last year we had so many tight ends going into camp that we were going to move Hernandez to wide receiver (in some minds). As the preseason went on, we lost AHern, it became clear that Gronk wasn't coming back week 1, and Fells/Ballard didn't have much left. Suddenly that glut of depth became Hooman and Sudfeld, nuff said.

People are doing the same with the secondary right now to a lesser degree, wondering if we'll cut Arrington now or how we're going to possibly find roles for all these awesome corners. But one injury means we go from having too many corners to just enough. Two injuries and we're behind the 8 ball again.

If you can add talent and competition to a position for minimal risk/financial committment, I don't see why you WOULDN'T do that, even if it appears that you're "set" at that position.

Amdendola's contract calls for him to be paid $3M-$4M for 2014, with the TEAM having an option to keep him for 2015 and 2016. You speak as if a team trading for Amendola is in some way committing $20.5M. That simply isn't true.

What are you talking about, Amendola signed a 5-year $28.5M contract in March 2013, there are no options in his contract, the team paid him $6M as a signing bonus and $2.5M for a base salary in 2013, that leaves $20.5M to be paid by any team that trades for him. The only way to get out of paying that is to release Amendola outright or trade him themselves. That is an option for every player in the NFL under contract for the most part so do not act as if it is a unique option for Amendola, no team is going to give up a pick for a player that is not in their long-term plans. So why would they trade him with the intent to cut him after just one season.

Obviously, it isn't worth it for you who do think that we should keep him even though he is likely to be injured and go on the PUP list.

That is not true at all, if he starts the year on PUP and something was to happen to Edelman or another key player early in the year he could be an integral part of the stretch run.

I don't know if they should sign Britt. They'll see his medical history and see his physical results, and they'll get a bit of a handle on his attitude. I just know that, if you think he's got a shot at rounding into form and he's not going to be a big locker room problem, you don't pass on him because Josh Boyce caught 6 passes last year and looks quick.

Agreed. I see Britt and I see the potential 16.7, 18.5, and 17.0 YPC averages in his first 3 seasons. Even 13.1 in his 4th season is better than what we're used to around here (I know the rooks beat that last year, first time in awhile we've had a bunch of YPC averages over 11).

He should be vet min or very close to it, and if healthy and concentrated he can take it the distance on any given play. He's a legitimate play maker outside the numbers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LX9C9LyCGxU

The 4th and Goal catch with no time left against the Cardinals is one I love, diving catch, getting hit, holding the ball through the ground, in the most clutch situation of a game.

If it was between Britt and someone like Austin or Thompkins and Boyce, no-brainer you go with Britt and Austin if they've shown more in training camp.

Zero chance huh? There are very few things in life that offer zero chance.

Danny Amendola cant hurt himself in camp and THEN go on the reserve PUP as you stated (6 week return). He either starts camp on the active PUP and never participates in camp thus becoming eligible for the reserve PUP or hurts himself during camp and is either IRd for the year or IRd with designation.

So, what you wrote is an impossibility and thus has zero chance of happening.

OK, this is too tough for you. I'll make it simpler. A team who trades for Amendola is committed to one season at $3M-$4M.

What are you talking about, Amendola signed a 5-year $28.5M contract in March 2013, there are no options in his contract, the team paid him $6M as a signing bonus and $2.5M for a base salary in 2013, that leaves $20.5M to be paid by any team that trades for him. The only way to get out of paying that is to release Amendola outright or trade him themselves. That is an option for every player in the NFL under contract for the most part so do not act as if it is a unique option for Amendola, no team is going to give up a pick for a player that is not in their long-term plans. So why would they trade him with the intent to cut him after just one season.

That is not true at all, if he starts the year on PUP and something was to happen to Edelman or another key player early in the year he could be an integral part of the stretch run.

OK, this is too tough for you. I'll make it simpler. A team who trades for Amendola is committed to one season at $3M-$4M.

No they are committed to the remaining 4 years and $20.5M of his contract, his salary for 2014 is $3M and then there is a $375K LTBE bonus for 2014, they can release him after the 2014 season if they want to and that would void the remainder of his contract. If they want to retain his services, they are liable for $4.375M in 2015, $5.375M in 2016, and $6.375M in 2017, that is his contract the fact that he can be released is not an option, so stop labeling it as if it is just to try to make you case. That is not an option any NFL player can be released since the NFL does not have guaranteed contracts.

You are trying to use logistics to make it sound like he is more tradable than he is, ignoring that if they do not want to pay him the $4.375M in 2015 but if they want to keep him they have to cut him and hope that he would resign with them or restructure, which are both unlikely to occur. That is not anything a team is going to trade a draft pick to do when they could just wait until the Patriots release him, and then sign him to a contract that makes sense for them and has him at a rate they would want for more than a year.

By your theory Tom Brady would be one year $2M for a team to trade for. You can start your posts with comments like “I know this hard for you” implying that I am not smart enough to understand what you are saying and that does not add merit to your post. I completely understand what you are trying to say, you are just very wrong because you think the ability to release a player is the same thing as an option but it is not.

Danny Amendola cant hurt himself in camp and THEN go on the reserve PUP as you stated (6 week return). He either starts camp on the active PUP and never participates in camp thus becoming eligible for the reserve PUP or hurts himself during camp and is either IRd for the year or IRd with designation.

So, what you wrote is an impossibility and thus has zero chance of happening.

True, my mistake.

You know.... I think I might have to slit my wrists if I read another "Amendola" post on this forum. Sheesh. Give it a rest....

fair enough

I think that we all agree that Amendola could be an important part of our offense. We all look forward adding more receivers, and to the WR competition in camp and the pre-season.

You know.... I think I might have to slit my wrists if I read another "Amendola" post on this forum. Sheesh. Give it a rest....

I agree - as long as the WR contracts that are being signed don't carry significant amounts of guaranteed money, I'm fine with it. If our rookies can't beat out FA JAGs for roster spots, then that just means that they suck anyway.

This is also why I don't necessarily consider it a failure when the Pats bring in FA JAG WRs on low/no guaranteed money, and then they end up not making the roster. For all the bellyaching around here about Michael Jenkins last year, he served his purpose. He set a bar that Kenbrell had to clear to make the roster. Clearly it wasn't a very high bar, considering that Kenbrell wasn't very good, but he did serve his purpose.

Well put!

I think that we all should understand that Belichick does (and should) allocate a certain amount of money for free agents who do not end up making the 53. These players serve their purpose. They provide camp competition and insurance against injuries. The signings are not mistakes. The money isn't wasted.

IMHO, if Boyce, Thompkins and Harrison can't beat these guys out, they don't deserve a roster spot. And yes, part of the valuation process is projected future value as well as current value.

I agree - as long as the WR contracts that are being signed don't carry significant amounts of guaranteed money, I'm fine with it. If our rookies can't beat out FA JAGs for roster spots, then that just means that they suck anyway.

This is also why I don't necessarily consider it a failure when the Pats bring in FA JAG WRs on low/no guaranteed money, and then they end up not making the roster. For all the bellyaching around here about Michael Jenkins last year, he served his purpose. He set a bar that Kenbrell had to clear to make the roster. Clearly it wasn't a very high bar, considering that Kenbrell wasn't very good, but he did serve his purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents