SalemPats

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
With Edelman being the slot, how do you rank
(i have them in this order)
LAfell
Amendola
Dobson

Is lafell really that good enough to be a number 2 receiver!?

Y-WR –Edelman, Amendola, Boyce
X-WR –Dobson, LaFell, Thompkins

If Edelman is the designated slot receiver by the middle of camp, then I would trade Amendola for whatever we could get. This is a fine decision, but it is a decision. Edelman would now fully our replacement for Welker.

With regard to your question, if Edelman is the slot receiver, then Dobson is the #1 (the X receiver) and LeFell is the #2 receiver (the Y). Thompkins would be the backup (the #4) for both Dobson and LeFell. Boyce would be the backup slot receiver and kick returner.

For me, Amendola is our slot receiver as long as he is here and healthy.

With Edelman being the slot, how do you rank
(i have them in this order)
LAfell
Amendola
Dobson

So you think Edelman just resigned here to be a backup receiver, and the Patriots are paying him big money for that. I cannot understand what would indicate that Amendola is our starting slot receiver, he was clearly the #3 receiver and behind Edelman in every game from week 12 on last season, and he was targeted just 12 times in the final 4 games.

Edelman is the slot receiver, it is not even a camp competition, he is the starter, and he would not have resigned here if it were not that way (because it would not have made sense for the Patriots or him). Right now Amendola is in competition for a roster spot with Thompkins, Harrison and any other receivers we add to the roster between now and camp, and if he wins a spot on the 53 (which I would expect he would) he will then be in competition with LaFell, and Boyce for reps as the third receiver.

If Edelman is the designated slot receiver by the middle of camp, then I would trade Amendola for whatever we could get.

Maybe the Panthers would be interested. They need a decent experienced WR badly

Could he get us a 4th in this year's draft?

So you think Edelman just resigned here to be a backup receiver, and the Patriots are paying him big money for that.

What are the details of his contract?

Maybe the Panthers would be interested. They need a decent experienced WR badly

Could he get us a 4th in this year's draft?

I cannot see any team offering a draft pick for Amendola, on this year’s UFA market he would have been the #17 WR available based on who else was available. He would be in the running for a 1-year contract for minimum money guaranteed, so his contract makes him undesirable to team, if he was to restructure and take a pay cut like Blount did last season we may be able to get a sixth round pick for him at best.

They will let him compete for a roster spot in camp and if he does not impress they will cut him.

I will repeat for emphasis, if Edelman was signed to be the slot receiver (and likely paid lots more than Amendola) then Amendola should be traded. That is NOT my personal opinion. I certainly understand that this could be so, and that Amendola is being paid between $3M and $4M as insurance against the possibility that kids aren't ready for primetime.
=====================
I'll wait and see just how much Edelman is being paid compared to Amendola, LeFell, and whoever else is brought in. Money tells a lot.
==========================
In any case, it really matters little. Belichick will see them all in camp and the preseason make decisions.
===========================
And you can continue to preach your nonsense about the depth chart from Game 12 onward until EVERYONE has you on "ignore". Most posters well understand that Amendola was injured. If Amendola were as bad as what you think, there was ZERO reason to guarantee him the $2M. He would have been cut before March 11.

Maybe Amendola is a better Y receiver than LeFell or Thompkins and whoever else Belichick brings in. It does seem unlikely.

So you think Edelman just resigned here to be a backup receiver, and the Patriots are paying him big money for that. I cannot understand what would indicate that Amendola is our starting slot receiver, he was clearly the #3 receiver and behind Edelman in every game from week 12 on last season, and he was targeted just 12 times in the final 4 games.

Edelman is the slot receiver, it is not even a camp competition, he is the starter, and he would not have resigned here if it were not that way (because it would not have made sense for the Patriots or him). Right now Amendola is in competition for a roster spot with Thompkins, Harrison and any other receivers we add to the roster between now and camp, and if he wins a spot on the 53 (which I would expect he would) he will then be in competition with LaFell, and Boyce for reps as the third receiver.

I cannot see any team offering a draft pick for Amendola, on this year’s UFA market he would have been the #17 WR available based on who else was available. He would be in the running for a 1-year contract for minimum money guaranteed, so his contract makes him undesirable to team, if he was to restructure and take a pay cut like Blount did last season we may be able to get a sixth round pick for him at best.

They will let him compete for a roster spot in camp and if he does not impress they will cut him.

Belichick said last year that amendola can be used on the outside as well. I don't see why we can't have both edelman and amendola.

I think when they get in the red zone LaFell will get some reps in the slot. He is a big target and will help run blocking.

If Edelman is the designated slot receiver by the middle of camp, then I would trade Amendola for whatever we could get. This is a fine decision, but it is a decision. Edelman would now fully our replacement for Welker.

With regard to your question, if Edelman is the slot receiver, then Dobson is the #1 (the X receiver) and LeFell is the #2 receiver (the Y). Thompkins would be the backup (the #4) for both Dobson and LeFell. Boyce would be the backup slot receiver and kick returner.

I think you get biased by salary and hype a bit. Edelman is the better receiver, i'm not sure how you don't see that.

I cannot see any team offering a draft pick for Amendola, on this year’s UFA market he would have been the #17 WR available based on who else was available.

What a ridiculous statement. Your contention is that there were 16 other FA receivers more valued than DA? After last year, when he drew lots of interest, by every account? Jesus, will you just let it go?

Quit acting like he was awful/terrible/horrid/played for the other team, will you?

He would be in the running for a 1-year contract for minimum money guaranteed, so his contract makes him undesirable to team, if he was to restructure and take a pay cut like Blount did last season we may be able to get a sixth round pick for him at best.

Right, but Nicks gets 3.5m, Sanders (who had a marginally better year than Amendola, despite staying healthier, and who is NOW hurt) gets 3/18, ditto LaFell who gets 3/11...

At this point, you're just trying to start ******, no matter how ridiculous you sound.

I will repeat for emphasis, if Edelman was signed to be the slot receiver (and likely paid lots more than Amendola) then Amendola should be traded. That is NOT my personal opinion.

Who would trade for Amendola? Whose opinion is it if it is not yours?

You seeing Edelman and Amendola in competition for the starting job are laughable to me, no disrespect but that is just foolish to suggest. Edelman was head and shoulders above Amendola all year, he led the team in receptions in the preseason, regular season, and post season.

I'll wait and see just how much Edelman is being paid compared to Amendola, LeFell, and whoever else is brought in. Money tells a lot.

Last season Amendola was paid $8M in new money and Edelman was paid $765K, which did not make a bit of a difference in 2013 so why would it matter in 2014. You can determine a player’s role by his salary if you would like but that does not matter at all, if that was the case Leon Washington would have been our starting RB in 2013.

In any case, it really matters little. Belichick will see them all in camp and the preseason make decisions.

The fact you think it is even a competition as I said is before is ridiculous. Edelman is working out with Brady as we speak, coming off a season in which he has 121 receptions and 1229 yards, and 7 touchdowns combined in the regular and post season, but sure the player who was targeted 12 times in the final four games is going to compete for the starting job and in your mind is the starter.

And you can continue to preach your nonsense about the depth chart from Game 1 onward until EVERYONE has you on "ignore". Most posters well understand that Amendola was injured. If Amendola were as bad as what you think, there was ZERO reason to guarantee him the $2M. He would have been cut before March 11.

My nonsense, hmm… taking shots at me personally highlights the weakness of your argument.

I think he would have been cut if they had come to an agreement with Edelman prior to the 11th but since they did not it made no sense to cut him and leave the cupboard dry.

What a ridiculous statement. Your contention is that there were 16 other FA receivers more valued than DA? After last year, when he drew lots of interest, by every account? Jesus, will you just let it go?

Quit acting like he was awful/terrible/horrid/played for the other team, will you?

Right, but Nicks gets 3.5m, Sanders (who had a marginally better year than Amendola, despite staying healthier, and who is NOW hurt) gets 3/18, ditto LaFell who gets 3/11...

At this point, you're just trying to start ******, no matter how ridiculous you sound.

No I am acting like these players are all better than him –

1. Eric Decker (Signed five-year, $36.25M deal with NYJ)
2. Jeremy Maclin (Re-signed one-year, $5.5M deal with PHI)
3. Hakeem Nicks (Signed one-year, $3.5M deal with IND)
4. Julian Edelman (Re-signed undisclosed deal with NE)
5. Golden Tate (Signed five-year, $31M deal with DET)
6. Anquan Boldin (Re-signed two-year, $12M deal with SF)
7. Steve Smith (Signed three-year, $11M deal with BAL)
8. Santonio Holmes
9. James Jones
10. Andre Roberts (Signed four-year, $16M deal with WAS)
11. Emmanuel Sanders (Signed three-year, $15M deal with DEN)
12. Riley Cooper (Re-signed five-year, $25M deal with PHI)
13. Sidney Rice
14. Jacoby Jones (Re-signed four-year, $12M deal with BAL)
15. Dexter McCluster (Signed three-year, $9M deal with TEN)
16. Brandon LaFell (Signed three-year, $11M deal with NE)

Let me rephrase that actually, maybe not better but healthier and more reliable as a player.

Oh joy, another Edelman vs Amendola #!*%@&\ match.
:ugh:
:spygate:

FYI to all.

How To Place Someone On Ignore

Click on User CP in the upper left hand corner
Scroll down to the third section, Settings and Options
Click on Edit Ignore List
Type in the forum name of the person that you want/need to ignore
Click Okay

Last edited:
Belichick said last year that amendola can be used on the outside as well. I don't see why we can't have both edelman and amendola.

We have that right now, but if we are talking about a player that was thrown to 12 times in the final 4 games to say that he is not in competition for a roster spot is unrealistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents