PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WR depth chart?

Rob Gronkowski - X, and Y (Yes he has, amazing!), Possession
Danny Amendola - X, Y, Z, Slot Back
Aaron Dobson - X, Z, Y, Possession
Josh Boyce - X, Y, Z, Slot Back
Shane Vereen - X, Z, Y, Slot Back (He played some X against HOU last year)
Julian Edelman, Z, Y, Z, Slot Back, possibly X
Kenbrell Thompkins - X, Y, Z
Leon Washington - Z, Y, Slot Back
Michael Jenkins - X, Y, Z, Possession

You could line these guys up anywhere, all over the field, something we lacked last season.

There have been 7 rookie WRs since 1980 to have 1000 yard seasons.

I'm pretty sure Dobson is not going to be joining that club that features...

-3 HOFers
-1 WR with 10,000 career yards
-4 time all pro, Chargers 50 year anniversary team (one of best in franchise history)
-3x Pro bowler
-1 semi-bust
-1 Record holder for most receptions in rookies first two seasons, runner up rookie of the year

I didn't bother checking how many of them won rookie of the year, but I think it was at least 5.

Chances are Dobson is not going to be matching any of that.

I agree with you that having insanely high expectations for either one of the rookies is not too wise, but that said--someone will certainly be catching Tom Brady's passes this year.

We may not need Dobson to have a 1,000 yd season, but he just may be able to offer something in terms of the skill set that we've been lacking for an outside receiver lately. The ability to stretch the field a bit, take some attention away from a safety every now and then, and actually beat man coverage may show an improvement to what we've had with guys like Llyod and Branch at the WR2 position the past two years.

Hey that's not fair! lol

While all 3 of those specific names are indeed good at giving their respective analysis regarding the draft every year and are a pleasure to read, ANY wide receiver is going to be a complete unknown for this team.

You can watch tape for weeks, review measurables, test scores, make sure they are high character guys, have good skills, etc, etc...

The bottom line is that until they show they are able to come here and pick up the fairly complicated scheme and playbook, get on the same page as the QB in terms of being able to read/react/change routes based on what the defense shows, and have a great timing chemistry down from hundreds of hours of practice no one really has any idea as to who will excel and who will fail in the NE Patriots system.

There have been tons of great WRs who Belichick passed on due to feeling that they wouldn't fit into this system too well who have gone on to do very good with other teams, and others who had good careers in other places only to come here and completely fail in every way.

While all 3 of those specific names are indeed good at giving their respective analysis regarding the draft every year and are a pleasure to read, ANY wide receiver is going to be a complete unknown for this team.

You can watch tape for weeks, review measurables, test scores, make sure they are high character guys, have good skills, etc, etc...

The bottom line is that until they show they are able to come here and pick up the fairly complicated scheme and playbook, get on the same page as the QB in terms of being able to read/react/change routes based on what the defense shows, and have a great timing chemistry down from hundreds of hours of practice no one really has any idea as to who will excel and who will fail in the NE Patriots system.

There have been tons of great WRs who Belichick passed on due to feeling that they wouldn't fit into this system too well who have gone on to do very good with other teams, and others who had good careers in other places only to come here and completely fail in every way.

100% agree with this. There were quite a few receivers that I had rated ahead of Dobson (heck, I preferred the undrafted Marquess Wilson), but film is meaningless without knowing the prospect. It's why I'll always defer to the team if they make a pick I'm less keen on - you won't get any Harmon type ravings from me.

Nb. When I said I preferred Wilson, I meant on film alone - well aware of the red flags.

Defer the analysis to the authentic collegiate football experts on this message board:

mayoclinic
manxman2601
off the grid

Appreciate the compliment and the lofty company.

Appreciate the compliment and the lofty company.
Well deserved. You have earned it.

Looking forward to the 2014 NFL Draft and your astute insights.

P.S. I foresee defensive tackles in the future (maybe even a double dip)

Well deserved. You have earned it.

Looking forward to the 2014 NFL Draft and your astute insights.

P.S. I foresee defensive tackles in the future (maybe even a double dip)

Agreed - and a potentially interesting class of DTs.

Jenkins having a great role? Absolutely not over Edelman. Julian Edelman has too much to offer us with his explosiveness and playmaking ability especially in space. And his route running is above average, even good at times. Plus, he has had more experience IN the offense. Jenkins is a decent veteran but what more can he offer us then possession?

Edelman is not a #2 receiver.

He's an injury prone backup who will stick because he's one of the best punt return men in the league.

I would love him to excel but, if you have him and Amendola on the field at the same time, you're extremely one dimensional. Jenkins or Dobson would offer much more versatility.

First you're significantly exaggerating A.J. Green by already placing him in the class of Johnson or Fitzgerald, second I never said Dobson would be in his class, I said I see no reason why given the circumstance around the state of our WR depth, having TB as his QB, along with his impressive measurable's and reported attributes that that he could have similiar production to the 65 receptions and 1057 yards Green had as a rookie.
Because there have been lots of great QBs. There have been lots of crappy receiving corps.

There have been 7 rookies in the history of the NFL to have 1000 yards receiving

If you looked up glass half empty this would be it.
No, I was responding to a person referring to how Green was a top prospect and lamenting how we could have possibly have gotten Green. You are just grasping at straws and brought up how I said I wish we could have gotten Green as some kind of shot at Solder in spite the fact I said I'm glad we have Solder. You were just making something out of nothing to try to discredit me.

You've offered nothing remotely indicating my claims are wrong, you solely base what you've written around personal beliefs, selected the worst possible players for comparisons ignoring players like Erik Decker, Josh Gordon, Mike Williams, Randall Cobb, etc. who have been successful despite not being 1st round draft picks.
No, you have just refused to respond to anything I've said.

I've brought up how only 7 rookies in the hsitory of the league have had 1000 yard rookie seasons.

I've brought up how Mark Harrison has better combine stats across the board

I've brought up previous draft busts with great situations and great combine numbers

I've brought up how there were several WRs drafted ahead of Dobson this year, guys rated better than Dobson- yet no one is expecting them to have an AJ Green season

I've brought up how there are hundreds of WRs who drafted into a situation with a great QB and yet never came close to 1000 yard rookie season

I've brought up how we've had a long history of draft busts at WR

I've brought up how Chad Jackson had better combine numbers and collegiate success and yet he hardly turned in an AJ Green season.

No, I've made plenty of points. You jsut conveniently ignore them.

Sorry, AJ's rookie season was a rarity. Dobson might reach it. He also might score 30 TDs. But chances are neither of those will happen. History, numbers, and basic logic says he won't reach it, and your insistence that it's ridiculous to say otherwise is just stupid.

Because there have been lots of great QBs. There have been lots of crappy receiving corps.

There have been 7 rookies in the history of the NFL to have 1000 yards receiving

No, I was responding to a person referring to how Green was a top prospect and lamenting how we could have possibly have gotten Green. You are just grasping at straws and brought up how I said I wish we could have gotten Green as some kind of shot at Solder in spite the fact I said I'm glad we have Solder. You were just making something out of nothing to try to discredit me.

No, you have just refused to respond to anything I've said.

I've brought up how only 7 rookies in the hsitory of the league have had 1000 yard rookie seasons.

I've brought up how Mark Harrison has better combine stats across the board

I've brought up previous draft busts with great situations and great combine numbers

I've brought up how there were several WRs drafted ahead of Dobson this year, guys rated better than Dobson- yet no one is expecting them to have an AJ Green season

I've brought up how there are hundreds of WRs who drafted into a situation with a great QB and yet never came close to 1000 yard rookie season

I've brought up how we've had a long history of draft busts at WR

I've brought up how Chad Jackson had better combine numbers and collegiate success and yet he hardly turned in an AJ Green season.

No, I've made plenty of points. You jsut conveniently ignore them.

Sorry, AJ's rookie season was a rarity. Dobson might reach it. He also might score 30 TDs. But chances are neither of those will happen. History, numbers, and basic logic says he won't reach it, and your insistence that it's ridiculous to say otherwise is just stupid.

You're right Tony; we're going to have the worst WR group ever, every throw Brady makes is going to land on the ground, he will be lucky to have 1057 passing yards total, led alone just to Dobson.

Happy now?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

You're right Tony; we're going to have the worst WR group ever, every throw Brady makes is going to land on the ground, he will be lucky to have 1057 passing yards total, led alone just to Dobson.

Happy now?

You sound like a pouting baby after being spanked. I never said anything remotely like that. You are fabricating things in some pathetic, desperate attempt to save face. Sorry, but your absolutely idiotic expectations for Dobson to have one of the best rookie seasons of all time is not realistic.

Gotta love seeing this:

Talib: Strong release for Dobson, Thompkins

Talib has already noticed one trait that Dobson and Thompkins share, highlighting their ability to release off the line.

"[Dobson's] got good releases off the line," Talib told reporters on Sunday. "That's what I think he does real good. Him, KT [Thompkins], they're both pretty good at releasing off the line."

Pressed further on what traits makes them successful at releasing off the line, Talib offered, "I don't know what it is, speed, quickness, strength. You either got it or you don't. They got it."

You sound like a pouting baby after being spanked. I never said anything remotely like that. You are fabricating things in some pathetic, desperate attempt to save face. Sorry, but your absolutely idiotic expectations for Dobson to have one of the best rookie seasons of all time is not realistic.

It is 4 catches for 66 yards a game, you should settle down with the implication that he'd rewrite the record books, also I said similar production to Green, not better, not the same, the fact is there are 25 players on that list that have 60 or more catches and 17 players on that list that have 959 yards or more, in my opinion being within 5 catches and 100 yards is similar production, so yes Green had one of the better rookie seasons but the variance is not large at all, and there are dozens of players in the same ballpark.

You are trying to make it sound like I'm saying Dobson is going to do something unattainable, I'm saying Dobson could be in the same ballpark of 55-65 catches for 850-1050 yards and 6-8 touchdowns. I do not think those expectations fall into the idiotic list.

As far as pouting honestly I was joking with my response, attempting to stop the circles that you're insisting we talk in. I have no issue with you and it is certainly your right to disagree with me, so at this point maybe we should just end this discussion and let the 2013 season determine who's opinion is most accurate.

The bottom line seems to be that we expect as much from Amendola and Dobson as we got last year from Welker and Lloyd. There was not much after that last year or this.

With regard to TE's, we almost never had both Gronk and Hernandez on the field. We need one of the TE's to step up. Gronkowski-Ballard could easily produce more the Gronk-Hernandez did last year.

Obviously, the improved OL and RB situation will likely take a bit of pressure off the passing game, perhaps allowing even more production from the passing game.

The BIGGEST question marks are Amendola and Dobson. We are counting on them! The next and perhaps equal concern is that of health, of Amendola, of Gronkowski, of Ballard and even of Edelman.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back