PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WR depth chart?

Cutting Jones made me think there is a potential trade in the works. He had the 2nd biggest contract of the WR and they have several practice squad options. With 2 starting WR who are not exactly iron men and 2 rooks, no more AH, Gronk not 100%, and Ballard might not be either. Two other wildcard TEs and a average vet WR. I could see it.

They are thin and the picks over the next few years are not going to be as important with such a young team and Brady getting up there in age. There is 10 mil in cap room.

Bundle Boyce and Dobson and a pick for Fitzgerald! :D

He showed flashes, I think he could be a playmaker but I would honestly prefer him just being a backup for Amendola. That way his risk of injury is reduced and we're more likely to have one of the best PR for the whole season. Also with his "prove it" 1 year contract, if he stays healthy he'll likely be kept on.

See I saw the one year contract as more of a well if nobody else wants you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

They couldnt afford Fitz and I dont think he is worth the money. Plus as mentioned every day into camp they go a trade seems less likely (because of the TB factor) unless its depth. I think they will definitely snag someone that is cut from another team at the end of camp.

I was fine with the WR group before because we had superb TEs. Now we lost one of our best forever, and just cut someone who I thought would have been decent. So the picture looks a lot different than it did a month ago. Imagine if Amendola or even Edelman goes down? That would be an "issue", to put it lightly.

This team still has a super slot guy and an all world TE (assuming they stay healthy). Edelman (if healthy) is a good player. Jenkins is solid, and Ballad is as well. So starting lineups with them is not too shabby and hopefully Boyce, Dobson, and perhaps one of the rook TEs becomes a player. Then you are in good enough shape with our running game.

Other than health, the only other thing that needs to be monitored is that you have a situation where just about all of these guys with the exception of JE and Gronk have to prove that they can get on the same page as Brady. We have seen before where that is an issue.

Yes, we won the Super Bowl with the weakest talent in the modern era (2001).

Yes, we came close to being in the Super Bowl with as bad a set of wide receivers as we have now (2006).

So, is the point that we can always have hope? Sure. But that is not a reason to celebrate the blowing up of the receiving corps of the one the very best passing teams in the history of the NFL.

I would point out that the 2006 was considerably better than this one is likely to be.

The 2006 Patriots had a pretty bad group of WRs on paper too:

35-year old Troy Brown
Reche Caldwell
Doug Gabriel
Jabar Gaffney
Chad Jackson

Yuck.

That year, the Pats finished 12th in passing offense. I think they'll be better this year because (a) Brady is better, (b) the running game is better, which will open up the passing game, and (c) they have much better receiving options at the TE position (Gronk/Ballard vs. Watson/Thomas).

It should be noted that that team, with that motley collection of receivers, ended up going 12-4 and lost in the AFCCG.

There's something about Boyce that I really like. I did a lot of pre-draft research, specifically on WR's and there's just something about him......

I really think he can flourish in this offense. His measurables at the combine were off the charts. He reminds me of a younger, faster, much stronger Deoin Branch. Time will tell but i think this kid could turn out to be a future star.

It's early but looks like my boy BOYCE is off to a good start:

"The impact of the rain was seen through some off-target throws, uncharacteristic drops and players slipping on the field. However, rookie Josh Boyce, who was limited during offseason workouts coming off of a pre-draft foot injury, looked sharp in receiving drills....."

Pats get to work at rainy Gillette - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Jenkins had more catches last season with Ponder throwing him the ball then Edelman has in the last 3 season combined.

Listen don't get me wrong in think Edelman is a nice player, very good punt returner, very good in coverage on special teams, and a solid depth wide receiver. I cannot get on the Edelman as a great or even good wide receiver wagon. He has been on this team for 4 seasons, during those years I find it hard to believe that if Edelman was in fact the player so many think he is we wouldn't found a way to implement him into the offense by now. I know we had Welker but there were plenty of times we could of used another play maker and he was never that guy.

Maybe I will be wrong, and for what it's worth I hope I am but I just don't see it.

For one, he was hurt last year.. but he was on the rise before he got hurt, which is funny because his playing time had also increased during the same time. It's hard to see what a guy can do when he is not used or healthy. I can care less about Jenkins having more catches, he is a solid vet that I respect a lot but we need dynamics or explosiveness in some sort. His skillset is just too average to me and quickness not there anymore. And with Randy Moss, Wes Welker, Rob Gronkowski, Deion Branch, Danny Woodhead, Kevin Faulk, Ben Watson and Aaron Hernandez in addition to them "trying" to implement Chad Johnson into the offense over the last few years that Julian Edelman has been in NE, the poor guy would never really see the field anyway. But his rookie year, when he was healthy for a full season replacing Wes Welker, he had 43 receptions, 412 yards and three touchdowns. Two of those touchdowns came against the Baltimore Ravens in the post season where he became the first rookie wide receiver to score two post season td's in a game since David Sloan for DET back in 1995. Not bad for a guy that had just came from being a quarterback in college the very year before.

Yes, we won the Super Bowl with the weakest talent in the modern era (2001).

Yes, we came close to being in the Super Bowl with as bad a set of wide receivers as we have now (2006).

So, is the point that we can always have hope? Sure. But that is not a reason to celebrate the blowing up of the receiving corps of the one the very best passing teams in the history of the NFL.

I would point out that the 2006 was considerably better than this one is likely to be.

Troy Brown, Reche Caldwell, Doug Gabriel, Kevin Faulk, Ben Watson, David Thomas and Jabar Gaffney < Aaron Dobson, Danny Amendola, Josh Boyce (Had a broken foot for Pete Sake), Julian Edelman, Kenbrell Thompkins, Shane Vereen, Zach Sudfeld, Jake Ballard and a returning Rob GRONKOWSKI. I mean, come on you have to admit this group is very talented and versatile despite lack of NFL experience. Between Amendola and Edelman, and possibly Jenkins if he makes it, there is enough experience to go around. Back in 2006, we were 12th on offense so just imagine what we could do with this group. And I wish everyone would stop comparing these two rookie wide receivers to past draft picks at the position. These two guys Dobson and Boyce have a real unique skillset between the two and to me stand out, amongst their predecessors, even people at work agreed with me. Do they really compare to Chad Jackson, Brandon Tate, Bethel Johnson and others? Really?

Edelman has worked with Brady for FOUR years. He has a total of 69 catches, half of these in his rookie year. There is little reason to believe that Edelman, coming off year another injury, is going to be our #2 receiver, or even more than an emergency receiver.

Could Edelman step up to be our #2? Sure he could! The again, so could Dobson or Boyce or Jenkins or Hawkins or even Thompkins.

I will very clear on my opinion. Edelman would not be here if he weren't one of the top returners in the league. Even with that skill, the team waited months before offering Edelman chump change on a 1-year contract. Edelman couldn't do better elsewhere. In the end, it is worth having Edelman on the 53 as a punt returner and emergency receiver. Given how poor our receiving quality may be this year, Edelman might move up in the depth chart. I hope not since that will mean that others have no stepped up.

For one, he was hurt last year.. but he was on the rise before he got hurt, which is funny because his playing time had also increased during the same time. It's hard to see what a guy can do when he is not used or healthy. I can care less about Jenkins having more catches, he is a solid vet that I respect a lot but we need dynamics or explosiveness in some sort. His skillset is just too average to me and quickness not there anymore. And with Randy Moss, Wes Welker, Rob Gronkowski, Deion Branch, Danny Woodhead, Kevin Faulk and Aaron Hernandez in addition to them "trying" to implement Chad Johnson into the offense over the last few years that Julian Edelman has been in NE, the poor guy would never really see the field anyway. But his rookie year, when he was healthy for a full season replacing Wes Welker, he had 43 receptions, 412 yards and three touchdowns. Two of those touchdowns came against the Baltimore Ravens in the post season where he became the first rookie wide receiver to score two post season td's in a game since David Sloan for DET back in 1995. Not bad for a guy that had just came from being a quarterback in college the very year before.

Edelman has worked with Brady for FOUR years. He has a total of 69 catches, half of these in his rookie year. There is little reason to believe that Edelman, coming off year another injury, is going to be our #2 receiver, or even more than an emergency receiver.

Could Edelman step up to be our #2? Sure he could! The again, so could Dobson or Boyce or Jenkins or Hawkins or even Thompkins.

I will very clear on my opinion. Edelman would not be here if he weren't one of the top returners in the league. Even with that skill, the team waited months before offering Edelman chump change on a 1-year contract. Edelman couldn't do better elsewhere. In the end, it is worth having Edelman on the 53 as a punt returner and emergency receiver. Given how poor our receiving quality may be this year, Edelman might move up in the depth chart. I hope not since that will mean that others have no stepped up.

Well said MG. The "best punt returner in the NFL" got a whopping 1 year, 765k, no $ guaranteed on the open market.

The Pats and the rest of the league don't view Edelman as a worthy NFL WR.

The obvious question is if Brady could make so many, many receivers look so good, why has Edelman not done better in four years with Brady? It is not as if we haven't had the need for a receiver. Surely, in four years with Brady, Edelman should have been able to run intermediate routes. Lloyd was a super star next to Edelman.

Well said MG. The "best punt returner in the NFL" got a whopping 1 year, 765k, no $ guaranteed on the open market.

The Pats and the rest of the league don't view Edelman as a worthy NFL WR.

During his 4 years, as a punt returner.. here is a list of receivers that have crowded the field... Wes Welker, Deion Branch, Rob Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez, Brandon Lloyd, Kevin Faulk, Chad Johnson, Ben Watson, David Thomas, Danny Woodhead and Randy Moss. Do you really think he had a clear shot to see the field as much as everyone else, and no its not if he would have performed then they would have moved him up. No, they had a set rotation of players at receiver, while they had him primarily on return duties. So how could we really see his full potential, other then his rookies season where he actually did pretty good.

The obvious question is if Brady could make so many, many receivers look so good, why has Edelman not done better in four years with Brady? It is not as if we haven't had the need for a receiver. Surely, in four years with Brady, Edelman should have been able to run intermediate routes. Lloyd was a super star next to Edelman.

Not with all the balls going around to the other receivers he couldn't. That offense was too loaded, and besides, Wes Welker who boasts pretty much the same skillset, at the rate he was producing, along with Woodhead having a similar skillset how much could Julian Edelman really see the field? They are going to put someone else out there when they already had two guys that can do some of the same things Edelman could?

Watching Welker on NFLN catching passes from Peyton makes me want to puke! Where is the vomit emoticon?

He's going to be excellent for the Broncos this season and we will want that that vomoticon because that's what we will all be doing all season long watching their highlights. #alreadypuking

During his 4 years, as a punt returner.. here is a list of receivers that have crowded the field... Wes Welker, Deion Branch, Rob Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez, Brandon Lloyd, Kevin Faulk, Chad Johnson, Ben Watson, David Thomas, Danny Woodhead and Randy Moss.
What was so great about Chad "Ochostinko" Johnson in his last season with the New England Patriots? What was so great about Deion Branch last season with the New England Patriots?

That offense was too loaded, and besides, Wes Welker who boasts pretty much the same skillset, at the rate he was producing, along with Woodhead having a similar skillset how much could Julian Edelman really see the field?
I guess you missed the attempted "Wes Welker Phase Out" the first two games of last season. Here is a clue, Edelman was a flop.

I actually posted this in the Dobson thread; it is basically a breakdown of Dobson against the 3 taller/bigger wide receivers who entered the NFL and have been very productive. Dobson stacks up well, as I said in the other thread I think if he was able to participate at the combine and put up these metrics he'd been a top 25 pick.

When I look at the list I think Dobson compares favorable to A.J. Green; Dobson also from what I've read has very good hands and is a good route runner. I seriously see know reason that Aaron Dobson with Tom Brady throwing him the football cannot have similar production to the 65 receptions, 1057 yards, and 7 touchdowns that A.J. Green had with a rookie Andy Dalton as his QB.

Code:
Player   	Height	Weight	40	20	10	Bench  Vert	Broad	 20Shuf 3 Cone
A Dobson   	6'3	210	4.37	2.6	1.51	16	35	10.01	4.33	7.19
A.J. Green	6'4	211	4.48	2.53	1.55	18	34.5	10.06	4.21	6.91
Julio Jones	6'3	220	4.34	2.47	1.5	17	38.5	N/A	4.25	6.66
Dez Bryant	6'2	224	4.52	2.51	1.53	14	38	11.01	4.46	7.1

Last edited by a moderator:
Bundle Boyce and Dobson and a pick for Fitzgerald! :D

I hate comparing rookies to players with NFL experience but I'm going to for the sake of this discussion.

Would you still make that trade if,

Dobson = A.J. Green?

*A.J. Green | Georgia, WR : 2011 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile

Aaron Dobson | Marshall, WR : 2013 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile

Boyce = Cobb

*Randall Cobb | Kentucky, WR : 2011 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile

*Josh Boyce | TCU, WR : 2013 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile

Now I'm not saying they will; all I'm saying is they have just as much talent, and do you want to take a chance of trading 2 guys who could be impact players on a rookie contract for the next 4-5 years for 1 guy who is on a huge contract and is well into the second half of his career?

P.S. I never took a hard look at Boyce's combine numbers, guys a freak, explosive as hell. I find myself suddenly very excited for Boyce :woohoo:

Watching Welker on NFLN catching passes from Peyton makes me want to puke! Where is the vomit emoticon?

He's going to be excellent for the Broncos this season and we will want that that vomoticon because that's what we will all be doing all season long watching their highlights. #alreadypuking

Couldn't care less to be honest. I've already forgotten about #83. Let Denver have the #1 offense in the regular season. We all know Peyton will choke come January.

This was a tidbit from practice today that got buried in all the excitement! Kamar Aiken was running with the 1st group and looked pretty good! This something I didn't see coming and bears watching over the next few days. Did Aikens improvement make Jones expendable?

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back