PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would you trade Maroney to Washington?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I would trade Maroney for a Big Mac and a small fry but I don't think the F.O. would accept that

Maroney constantly runs for 4 YPC, has rarely fumbled in his career except for a 3-game stretch last year and makes less than $1M. What exactly is the benefit of trading him for an unknown, aside from pleasing people's undying hatred for the guy that they always held personal expectations for based on their pre-determined valuation of what a first round pick absolutely must do, system be damned.

The Eagles might be a good landing place for him. I have no idea what some can see in LoMo. He is a nice kid and a less than 4 YPC mediocre back who has struggled here to the point of healthy scratches. Are we looking at the same guy? He is also on the last year of his option and has developed "fumblitis".I see an option to get a fit for our sytem in Chris Gocong. We need a OLB pass rush Vrabel type and the Eagles need another back to spell McCoy.
I would say try and trade him for a pick but I can't see more than a fifth rounder for this former fisrt round pick unfortunately.

See below.
I rest my case.
DW Toys

You keep presenting the same old tired BS. Maroney wasn't a healthy scratch except once, the last game of this year.

As for what you see as compensation, The Pats would get more than a 5th rounder for him.

You hatred for Maroney is as bad as your hatred for Sanders..

Honestly, Maroney would fetch a late 3rd/early 4th at most.

Why trade a 2nd or a 3rd when you can draft fresh legs who are better.

The top 6-8 runningbacks in this draft are better than Maroney.

Honestly, Maroney would fetch a late 3rd/early 4th at most.

Why trade a 2nd or a 3rd when you can draft fresh legs who are better.

You cannot, with any sort of conviction, say that any college RB is better than a proven NFL RB. All college players are potential at this point, not a single one is a sure thing to be anything.

Promise me that you'll find a rookie RB that will get you 800 yds and 7 rushing TDs next year and I'd agree with you.

Promise me that you'll find a rookie RB that will get you 800 yds and 7 rushing TDs next year and I'd agree with you.

With the same amount of carries as Maroney had? Sure.

1. C.J Spiller
2. Ryan Matthews
3. Toby Gerhart
4. Montario Hardesty
5. Ben Tate

I would take any of these 5 right now over Maroney, and they would all get the same or better production. I'm just being honest, not bashing him. It's like saying the top 6-8 WRS (more like 15:D) are better than Aiken right now.

1. C.J Spiller
2. Ryan Matthews
3. Toby Gerhart
4. Montario Hardesty
5. Ben Tate

I would take any of these 5 right now over Maroney, and they would all get the same or better production. I'm just being honest, not bashing him. It's like saying the top 6-8 WRS (more like 15:D) are better than Aiken right now.

Did you really just compare Maroney to Aiken? And guarantee that all those 5 college RBs will average 4 or more YPC in the NFL in their rookie season?

Last edited:
Did you really just compare Maroney to Aiken? And guarantee that all those 5 college RBs will average 4 or more YPC in the NFL in their rookie season?

Specifically he said they would all produce as well or better than Maroney if given the same amount of playing time.

And BTW Maroney hasn't averaged over 4 yards per carry since the 2007 season. [His ypc were 3.3 in 2008 and 3.9 in 2009]. In football terms, that's ancient history. Add on top of that his recently developed fumbilitis in 2009 and his subsequent benchings by BB and he doesn't look all that good for 2010 compared to the fresher NFL RB draft prospects who look quite good this year.

Laurence Maroney NFL & AFL Football Statistics | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Last edited:

1. C.J Spiller
2. Ryan Matthews
3. Toby Gerhart
4. Montario Hardesty
5. Ben Tate

Are you really comparing Maroney as a RB to Aiken as a WR?

That's a great way to instantly lose your credibility.

Specifically he said they would all produce as well or better than Maroney if given the same amount of playing time.

And BTW Maroney hasn't averaged over 4 yards per carry since the 2007 season. [His ypc were 3.3 in 2008 and 3.9 in 2009]. In football terms, that's ancient history. Add on top of that his recently developed fumbilitis in 2009 and his subsequent benchings by BB and he doesn't look all that good for 2010 compared to the fresher NFL RB prospects who look quite good this year.

Laurence Maroney NFL & AFL Football Statistics | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Not really that notable considering he only played 3 games in 2008.

Fact remains he's still at 4.2 YPC over his career.

2009 Season-Top rookie runningbacks

Knowshon Moreno:
947 yards 3.8ypc 7TDs

Beanie Wells:
793 yards 4.5ypc 7TDs

Donald Brown:
281 yards 3.6ypc 3TDs

LeSean Mccoy:
637 yards 4.1ypc 4TDS

Shonn Greene:
540 yards 5ypc 2TDs

The only one that did bad was Donald Brown, but he has an excuse with Seyton Manning and Addai in front of him.

So overall, I would be pretty confident in trading away Maroney and having a rookie start and get the same production.

Last edited:
Antowain Smith was a better back than Maroney,and thats sad to say especially since Smith was 30 at the time.

2009 Season-Top rookie runningbacks

Knowshon Moreno:
947 yards 3.8ypc 7TDs

Beanie Wells:
793 yards 4.5ypc 7TDs

Donald Brown:
281 yards 3.6ypc 3TDs

LeSean Mccoy:
637 yards 4.1ypc 4TDS

Shonn Greene:
540 yards 5ypc 2TDs

The only one that did bad was Donald Brown, but he has an excuse with Seyton Manning and Addai in front of him.

So overall, I would be pretty confident in trading away Maroney and having a rookie start and get the same production.

Uh, based on your list you'd only have a 40 percent chance of having a rookie start and getting the same production.

And that's not even considering the relative strength of the RB classes.

Not really that notable considering he only played 3 games in 2008.

Fact remains he's still at 4.2 YPC over his career.

I love the excuse-making for Maroney. The 4.0 ypc defense hasn't applied to him for over 2 years and you'd like to discount an entire year that's in the books?
Hate to say it, but his career trajectory must closely resembles Kevan Barlow.

Kevan Barlow NFL & AFL Football Statistics | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Nice initial YPC over his first few years, followed by sudden decline after multiple injuries. Except Barlow was more durable than Maroney.

We've already started to see Maroney's decline.
After his first bad full year, Barlow's career average was still over 4.0. But he was never the same player again.
Career YPC means nothing. Show me what you've done for me lately.

The NFL is a harsh, physical game. And I'm not convinced that Maroney still has it.
Nor am I convinced that he can dramatically improve his pass protection, fix his dancing, and improve his vision at this stage in his career.

Last edited:
Uh, based on your list you'd only have a 40 percent chance of having a rookie start and getting the same production.

And that's not even considering the relative strength of the RB classes.

Based on my list is that you can expect similar production to Maroney with a top 5 runningback. (rounds 1-3).

Maroney hasn't broken 1,000 yards in his first four years with the league. I consider that average or even below average.

1. C.J Spiller
2. Ryan Matthews
3. Toby Gerhart
4. Montario Hardesty
5. Ben Tate

As talented and explosive Spiller is, because of his size I don't see the Pats burning a Day 1 pick on him unless he falls in their laps (which I highly doubt). If you look at the team's draft history, BB likes his RBs over 200 lbs.

The other guys you mention, sure. Some will do better than LM, some won't. Because of his contract situation and the age of the other RBs, I do believe that they will draft a RB in the first 3 rounds.

Dwyer intrigues me. Big. Strong. Runs downhill. Played in a spread offense in GT. I remember him running well vs BC a couple of years ago (I was at the game). Could be a nice fit here.

Last edited:
Based on my list is that you can expect similar production to Maroney with a top 5 runningback. (rounds 1-3).

Maroney hasn't broken 1,000 yards in his first four years with the league. I consider that average or even below average.

Oh really?

Because the "evidence" you provided doesn't support your assertion.

Another interesting post:

Top 5 runningbacks 2006 nfl draft (2009 season)

Reggie Bush:
390 yards 5.4ypc 5tds

Lawrence Maroney:
765 yards 3.9ypc 9tds

Deangelo Williams:
1,117 yards 5.2ypc 7tds

Joseph Addai:
828 yards 3.8ypc 10tds

Maurice Jones-Drew
1,391 yards 4.5ypc 15tds

So, in Maroney's defense he obviously hasn't "busted". However being the 2nd runningback taken, I wouldcall him dissapointing.

I love the excuse-making for Maroney. The 4.0 ypc defense hasn't applied to him for over 2 years and you'd like to discount an entire year that's in the books?
Hate to say it, but his career trajectory must closely resembles Kevan Barlow.

Kevan Barlow NFL & AFL Football Statistics | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Nice initial YPC over his first few years, followed by sudden decline after multiple injuries. Except Barlow was more durable than Maroney.

We've already started to see Maroney's decline.
After his first bad full year, Barlow's career average was still over 4.0. But he was never the same player again.
Career YPC means nothing. Show me what you've done for me lately.

The NFL is a harsh, physical game. And I'm not convinced that Maroney still has it.
Nor am I convinced that he can dramatically improve his pass protection, fix his dancing, and improve his vision at this stage in his career.

I'm not making excuses for anyone. I'm merely looking at it rationally rather than as a fan who obviously has a vendetta against the player.

I would have thought we put this nonsense out to pasture after this season, but I see the haters are still out in force. I'm not really sure how you conclude that, after his second best season, his career is winding down, but people here post all sorts of crazy stuff so I guess it's to be expected.

That all being said, I'm still in favor of drafting a RB. And I'm also in favor of keeping Maroney, as:

1) He's likely worth more to us than other teams (in other words, it's not smart to sell low)
2) He's a good character guy and locker-room presence
3) He's dirt cheap

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST