PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would you trade Maroney to Washington?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did I really just read pre-draft analysis as an argument to trade Maroney?

Did I really just read pre-draft analysis as an argument to trade Maroney?

Nope,
DB just requires "just the facts mam" like Dragnet and he called me out saying I had none. He never has them. His trick is he puts you in a position that you have to verify but he doesn't. I am used to it by now. Just trying to appease the man.

I don't care if Maroney won six Heisman's and was a Cub Scout Troop Leader, it's the NFL product on the field that does not mesh with the Pats scheme. It might not be his fault. If a team like the Chargers can use him to his best abilities and he might succeed there, and we get compensation that is more than a dead muskrat, I agree with the other posters here on this forum to move him. He is easily replaced by a rookie RB I'm afraid. I try to like him as a player but it doesn't work and the disappointments in him from the majority of Pats fans (and media but who are they), overwhelm his supporters. In all fairness, he is a borderline bust for a first rounder. Spin it all you want. If he was not a first rounder he might have been cut already....how many agree with that statement?

DW Toys

I would trade him for even T-Mac lol

DW, the point is you are WRONG about the entire situation. Your proof that Maroney should be cut relies on 5 year old pre-draft analysis. Those are not the "facts" as you claimed.

If he was not a first rounder he might have been cut already....how many agree with that statement?

DW Toys

No one in their right mind would outright cut Maroney IRREGARDLESS of where he was drafted, unless he was given a foolishly large contract. He has produced at the NFL level for 3 of his 4 years (he broke his shoulder in game 2 of 2008 and basically missed that entire year). He makes less than $1M this season.

His being drafted in the 1st round is what skews your perception of him because you put expectations on him based on where he was drafted 4 years ago. Once the draft is over and the contract signed, the draft position can be thrown out the window when analyzing if a player should be cut, kept, traded etc...

The FACTS are that Maroney consistently produces at a good level for what he's asked to do. You naysayers demand that he should run 20+ times a game, yet BB continually refuses to rush ANY RB that many times. Maroney very frequently runs on obvious running situations, behind a very inconsistent run-blocking OL, and still consistently runs for around 4 yards a carry. He has a high success rate when compared with other NFL RBs, and there is no reason to try to forcibly trade him, especially without a replacement plan. (NOTE: a rookie that may be drafted this season will split with Maroney, not take over for Maroney).

Yes

Maroney is a bust.

I would personally pay for Maroney's bus fair to Washington and send Snyder $100 to accept him. I am dead serious about this.

DW, the point is you are WRONG about the entire situation. Your proof that Maroney should be cut relies on 5 year old pre-draft analysis. Those are not the "facts" as you claimed.

No one in their right mind would outright cut Maroney IRREGARDLESS of where he was drafted, unless he was given a foolishly large contract. He has produced at the NFL level for 3 of his 4 years (he broke his shoulder in game 2 of 2008 and basically missed that entire year). He makes less than $1M this season.

His being drafted in the 1st round is what skews your perception of him because you put expectations on him based on where he was drafted 4 years ago. Once the draft is over and the contract signed, the draft position can be thrown out the window when analyzing if a player should be cut, kept, traded etc...

The FACTS are that Maroney consistently produces at a good level for what he's asked to do. You naysayers demand that he should run 20+ times a game, yet BB continually refuses to rush ANY RB that many times. Maroney very frequently runs on obvious running situations, behind a very inconsistent run-blocking OL, and still consistently runs for around 4 yards a carry. He has a high success rate when compared with other NFL RBs, and there is no reason to try to forcibly trade him, especially without a replacement plan. (NOTE: a rookie that may be drafted this season will split with Maroney, not take over for Maroney).

IRREGARDLESS - no such word....

IRREGARDLESS - no such word....

Glad you could contribute!

BTW You can argue the absurdity of the word (and it is illogical) but it is in fact a word.

Yes

Maroney is a bust.

face-palm.jpg

Without even getting into Maroney's deficiencies as a runner, my number one beef with him outside of that is his shoddy, terrible PASS BLOCKING. Every time Maroney goes into the game, the Pats offense is rendered 1 dimensional and predictable because the defense KNOWS that it's going to be a run play.

Why? Simply because BB will not risk Tom Brady's head on Maroney's pass blocking. Maroney's inability to improve this underrated part of the RB game is what continues to limit his usefulness and dooms him to continued mediocrity. Maroney's inexplicable aversion to pass blocking is an even bigger RED FLAG for me than his sub 4.0 ypc over the past two years.

And BTW this is the same reason that Donald Brown hasn't seen the field all that much in Indy despite his apparent talent level, he's not NEARLY the pass blocker that Addai is.

Know why Faulk stuck every year even through the ones where he fumbled a lot? He's darn good at that pass protection.
I want a RB who can pass block. Can Jahvid Best or Ben Tate do that? If so - all aboard the Patriots train!

Last edited:
That will be all you Homer.

I don't know what this means, but does it fall into the same category as "all your base are belong to us"?

Why? Simply because BB will not risk Tom Brady's head on Maroney's pass blocking. Maroney's inability to improve this underrated part of the RB game is what continues to limit his usefulness and dooms him to continued mediocrity. Maroney's inexplicable aversion to pass blocking is an even bigger RED FLAG for me than his sub 4.0 ypc over the past two years.

Putting aside the absurdity of this quote for a moment, why do you ignore the effectiveness of the play-action when Maroney is in the game? Because play action with Maroney in the game has been VERY effective and has created some very big plays. Have you ever thought, even for a moment, that there could be some strategical advantages to making a defense believe they know what's coming?

Secondly, if the defense KNOWS it's going to be a run every time Maroney is in the game then that just makes his 4 YPC that much better.

Know why Faulk stuck every year even through the ones where he fumbled a lot? He's darn good at that pass protection.
I want a RB who can pass block. Can Jahvid Best or Ben Tate do that? If so - all aboard the Patriots train!

Yes a total-package RB would be good to have. Maroney is NOT a great pass blocker but I think you severely exaggerate his lack of ability in that department.

Yes a total-package RB would be good to have. Maroney is NOT a great pass blocker but I think you severely exaggerate his lack of ability in that department.

Not on THIS forum. That would NEVER happen! ;)

Putting aside the absurdity of this quote for a moment, why do you ignore the effectiveness of the play-action when Maroney is in the game? Because play action with Maroney in the game has been VERY effective and has created some very big plays. Have you ever thought, even for a moment, that there could be some strategical advantages to making a defense believe they know what's coming?

Secondly, if the defense KNOWS it's going to be a run every time Maroney is in the game then that just makes his 4 YPC that much better.

Yes a total-package RB would be good to have. Maroney is NOT a great pass blocker but I think you severely exaggerate his lack of ability in that department

Seeing Maroney have a brain fart and let an unimpeded Ray Lewis clobber Brady is all I need to know about Maroney's pass blocking ability. Given that Maroney is subpar in pass protection, I don't think it's a stretch to say that when he is in the game, defenses pretty much know that the play isn't going to be one that requires him to stay in the backfield as a pass blocker.

I don't know what this means, but does it fall into the same category as "all your base are belong to us"?

No.

Maroney sucks, but that will never stop some Patriot fans from smoking his pole.

Seeing Maroney have a brain fart and let an unimpeded Ray Lewis clobber Brady is all I need to know about Maroney's pass blocking ability.

Seeing Brady have a brainfart and throw a stupid interception is all I need to know about Brady's passing ability. Yea, see how ridiculous that is?

And actually you should re-watch that play and then apply some thought to it. As has been broken down already, Maroney did the only thing he possibly could have in that situation. Lewis has 30 pounds on Maroney. Lewis had a running start. What should Maroney have done?

He used Ray's momentum to re-direct him to Brady's NON-throwing side. Brady inexplicably spun around to the left right into the arms of Ray Lewis. If Brady simply steps off to the right, he's clear and has time to make his reads.

Given that Maroney is subpar in pass protection, I don't think it's a stretch to say that when he is in the game, defenses pretty much know that the play isn't going to be one that requires him to stay in the backfield as a pass blocker.

So, our OL is just so incredibly amazing that even though the defense KNOWS he's running it, they still manage to open up holes for a mediocre running back to rip off 4 Yards per carry. Come on JMarr, let's really think about that for a minute.

Last edited:
Seeing Brady have a brainfart and throw a stupid interception is all I need to know about Brady's passing ability. Yea, see how ridiculous that is?

And actually you should re-watch that play and then apply some thought to it. As has been broken down already, Maroney did the only thing he possibly could have in that situation. Lewis has 30 pounds on Maroney. Lewis had a running start. What should Maroney have done?

He used Ray's momentum to re-direct him to Brady's NON-throwing side. Brady inexplicably spun around to the left right into the arms of Ray Lewis. If Brady simply steps off to the right, he's clear and has time to make his reads.

So, our OL is just so incredibly amazing that even though the defense KNOWS he's running it, they still manage to open up holes for a mediocre running back to rip off 4 Yards per carry. Come on JMarr, let's really think about that for a minute.

Yeah I don't think that play "defines" Maroney as a pass blocker. I mean he's nothing great, but he's not horrific.

You have to remember that play was not run out of the shotgun, it was run under center. If anyone is to blame, I blame Koppen for going to the same guy as Mankins and letting a guy like Ray Lewis through untouched. Maroney did all he could, coming from behind Brady and lunging at Lewis to try to get a body on him. You can't blame that on Maroney.

As for Maroney sucking: He's actually a pretty decent back. The only thing that is a little concerning is that the other RB's are able to pick up over 4 YPC and get positive yardage pretty consistently. You just felt like when Taylor or Morris in they were getting positive yardage more often.

I think the problem might be Maroney's vision because he's got everything physically that you want in a back. Our o-line hasn't been as good as it was in the past at opening holes. I think if Maroney was on a team like the Jets with a big powerful o-line that can blow people off the ball and open holes more easily, you'd see him perform better. I think on NE he just takes too much time trying to read and see if a hole will be opened rather than looking quickly and if nothing is there trying to create on his own. Because when there's a hole he hits it pretty quick and then can run over LB's and make people miss at the second level. That's probably why he holds those meetings with BB, to try to improve his decision making and vision.

No, I would trade Taylor and Maroney for Portis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back