PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would you give the Browns a draft pick for Alex Mack?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brady6

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Last season Wendell allowed 37 QB disruptions, and Connolly allowed 33. I would like to upgrade them both, I feel we can use Cannon at right guard and select a guard in the draft. We still need to address the center position, and Alex Mack would give the Patriots the best line in the NFL (combined with Solder, Mankins, and Vollmer).

The issue with Mack is that Cleveland put the transition tag on him; they can match any offer and most likely would since they have the cap space. We could offer compensation in a sign and trade deal; a second or third round pick, would you do it?

Re: Sign and trade – would you give the Browns a draft pick for Alex Mack?

No--due to the price.

We can't afford to keep all of Solder (assuming they keep him), Mankins, Mack, and Vollmer to higher priced deals.

Mack would cost upwards of 10 million per year. There's just no value there.

Re: Sign and trade – would you give the Browns a draft pick for Alex Mack?

No--due to the price.

We can't afford to keep all of Solder (assuming they keep him), Mankins, Mack, and Vollmer to higher priced deals.

Mack would cost upwards of 10 million per year. There's just no value there.

I was thinking backload the contract so the cap number inflates when Mankins comes off the books.

I'm confused. Mack is currently an unsigned player under the transition tag. How would the Pats do that?

Wes Welker was a RFA with the Dolphins tendered at a 2nd round level in 2007. I guess the NFL rules allow a team to trade a tendered RFA. I'm not sure whether they can trade a player traded with the transition tag who hasn't signed it yet. I assume that a "sign and trade" deal could be worked out, but that's a bit different.

The CBA prohibits trading a draft pick to induce the player's old club not to match the offer

Section 5. Right of First Refusal for Transition Players: Any player designated as a Transition Player shall, at the expiration of his prior year Player Contract, be permitted to negotiate a Player Contract with any Club. When the Transition Player negotiates such an offer with a New Club, which the player desires to accept, he shall give to the Prior Club a completed Offer Sheet, signed by the player and the New Club, which shall contain the Principal Terms (as defined in Article 9) of the New Club's offer. The Prior
Club, within five (5) days from the date it receives the Offer Sheet, may exercise or not exercise its Right of First Refusal, which shall have the consequences set forth in Sections 3(b)-(h), 4 and 6 of Article 9 above, except that no Draft Choice Compensation shall be made with respect to such player, and, for the purposes of those provisions, the player and each Club shall otherwise have the same rights and obligations as for a Restricted
Free Agent.

Poison Pill? PFT says it's illegal, Yahoo says it's legal but "frowned upon", if it is indeed legal...don't need to throw the Browns a draft pick!

Evan Dietrich-Smith would be a cheaper option, though and he's pretty good.

I don't think they can give a pick even if the wanted to. It'd be collusion. Make him an offer cleveland doesn't want to match.

The CBA prohibits trading a draft pick to induce the player's old club not to match the offer

Section 5. Right of First Refusal for Transition Players: Any player designated as a Transition Player shall, at the expiration of his prior year Player Contract, be permitted to negotiate a Player Contract with any Club. When the Transition Player negotiates such an offer with a New Club, which the player desires to accept, he shall give to the Prior Club a completed Offer Sheet, signed by the player and the New Club, which shall contain the Principal Terms (as defined in Article 9) of the New Club's offer. The Prior

Club, within five (5) days from the date it receives the Offer Sheet, may exercise or not exercise its Right of First Refusal, which shall have the consequences set forth in Sections 3(b)-(h), 4 and 6 of Article 9 above, except that no Draft Choice Compensation shall be made with respect to such player, and, for the purposes of those provisions, the player and each Club shall otherwise have the same rights and obligations as for a Restricted

Free Agent.

Cleveland could sign him to the one year tag number and then trade him to us correct?

Cleveland could sign him to the one year tag number and then trade him to us correct?

Cleveland already tag Mack. It is now up to Mack to sign the tender. If he does, he is agreeing to it. So why would the Browns trade Mack? Their decision to tag him indicates that they are willing to pay him the $10 million for one season. When Mack signs the tender he loses any leverage. That is, he can not force the Browns to trade him.

That's one player who may offer better value, as 50 yard line has pointed out for a couple of weeks. Much like other centers, he can also provide some versatility by playing guard as well, and as you stated--he's definitely going to come cheaper.

I couldn't imagine many scenarios where we could afford to pay that much, or better phrased, "would" choose to pay that much.

Poison Pill? PFT says it's illegal, Yahoo says it's legal but "frowned upon", if it is indeed legal...don't need to throw the Browns a draft pick!

Dietrich-Smith in FA and Yankey in round two sounds about right. Talk about an instant upgrade, Brady would have a nice, clean pocket to step up into with three maulers on the interior OL. And this point, I'd take a dead body on stilts over Wendell and an emaciated Kenyan over Connolly, though.

Dietrich-Smith in FA and Yankey in round two sounds about right. Talk about an instant upgrade, Brady would have a nice, clean pocket to step up into with three maulers on the interior OL. And this point, I'd take a dead body on stilts over Wendell and an emaciated Kenyan over Connolly, though.

I tend to agree with this. For me (if we have a shot at him) its between Dietrich-Smith and Connolly. Get a guard in the draft(preferably someone with versatility to play tackle) and let him fight with Cannon.

Mack will most likely get a boatload of money that we dont really have.

I would rather slide Connolly back to center and put Cannon or Kline at guard than pay what it will take for Mack. The Pats have too many other needs to pay top dollar for a center.

I would rather slide Connolly back to center and put Cannon or Kline at guard than pay what it will take for Mack. The Pats have too many other needs to pay top dollar for a center.

I'd rather them not spend money when they have other needs, but if Mack would completely solidify the interior line, he'd be worth it, even at 8-9M AAV or whatever.

I read one thing this weekend that rated Connolly in the bottom 5 guards or so in the league and Wendell as about the 2nd worst center. Mankins was in the top 20% or so of guards but for his pay, that isn't saying much.

I'd rather them not spend money when they have other needs, but if Mack would completely solidify the interior line, he'd be worth it, even at 8-9M AAV or whatever.

I read one thing this weekend that rated Connolly in the bottom 5 guards or so in the league and Wendell as about the 2nd worst center. Mankins was in the top 20% or so of guards but for his pay, that isn't saying much.

Connolly is a better center than guard and better than Wendell at center. I wouldn't read too much into the rankings though. I am sure it was a PFF ranking and those rankings are suspect and the o-lines can underperform if one piece is bad enough like Wendell was last year. It is a domino effect.

I think centers are easily replaced and not a pressing need. Paying $8-9 million a year for one is crazy. I would rather draft one of the top ones in the second or third round.

In addition, we could draft an OT to develop as a RG and backup OT.

While I don't think that centers are all that easy to find, we certainly could extend Connolly (or even re-sign Wendell).

As almost all of us have said for months, it would be nice to have Mack, but the money isn't what Belichick would pay a center.

Phew.

For a minute there, I thought you were going to allow this post to devolve into hysterical hyperbole.

Well done.

Phew.

For a minute there, I thought you were going to allow this post to devolve into hysterical hyperbole.

Well done.

Wendell hasn't exactly been the shining star of competent play that you want from a center protecting an elite pocket passer. Connolly is a better center than guard. My examples may have been extreme but they are on point.

In an ideal world, Wendell and Connolly would both be replaced.

I can live with Connolly at center, I guess (though he is aging). I can't live with Wendell starting, period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST