PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would the pats trade big Sey?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm, frail psyke. Someone told me to stay out and I'm the tough guy, Whatever. Please search and find where I've cried about trolls. More BS I suppose. I guess AndyJohnson also derailed the thread.

What is a pyske?

I mean the guy (Jarvis) who leaves it all out there week in and week out and who doesn't take 8-9 games off every year (Big PuSey) with some phantom injury, yes...

How are you determining that Green 'leaves it all out there week after week' and Seymour doesnt. What are you basing how hard they are trying on?
And how many years of missing 8-9 equalls every year for a guy who is in the league 7 years? I didn't think 1 out of 7 = EVERY.

What is your evidence that Seymour has 'phantom injuries'?
Apparently he didn't really injure his knee and only had surgery to throw guys like you off the trail, huh?

I agree with your assessment of Sey, except that I am not as sure as you that he will be near fully recovered by playoff time. I think that he should be playing less for the next three weeks.

Seymour is a cornerstone of our defense.
I agree he hasn't played like the All-World guy he is, but he came back in week 10, without a training camp, after being injured so severely he had to go on pup. I would read NOTHING into how he has played in his first few games back, but how he has played has been solid, if unspectacular.
I like Jarvis Green, but if you watch him play, he is NOT a strong 2gap run defender. He has a good role here, but replacing Seymour with Green would be a big dropoff in an area that is vital to our defense.
I expect that we will see steady improvement in Seymours play through the end of the seaosn and in the playoffs.
Seymour is recovering from an injury, and has always been a DOMINANT 2 gap DL. I have no worries that he has lost his ability.
Trading him is not even a consideration.

No question, we have to get more out of Big Sey, anyone can see that people have been running on him at an alarming rate. His backfield penetration has also been non-existent. I focused on him alot during the Pitt game and I just saw a guy that alot of times got locked up with one guy and got turned on some of those Willie Parker quick hitters and he rarely sniffed the QB, that's not the Seymour I've known. Man I hope he picks it up.

Last edited by a moderator:
All this negativity stinks and it sucks.

Seymour is a 3 time All-Pro, who was 2nd team All-Pro just last season despite all the b*tching and moaning. He's 28. He's not going anywhere and he shouldn't

How are you determining that Green 'leaves it all out there week after week' and Seymour doesnt. What are you basing how hard they are trying on?
And how many years of missing 8-9 equalls every year for a guy who is in the league 7 years? I didn't think 1 out of 7 = EVERY.

What is your evidence that Seymour has 'phantom injuries'?
Apparently he didn't really injure his knee and only had surgery to throw guys like you off the trail, huh?

It's just an opinion.

I watch the games and I see Green making plays and Seymour high fiving a lot of other guys for the plays they made.

Seymour just does not strike me as an impact player and we've already established that he has trouble even staying on the field due to injury the past 2-3 seasons.

I agree he hasn't played like the All-World guy he is, but he came back in week 10, without a training camp, after being injured so severely he had to go on pup. I would read NOTHING into how he has played in his first few games back, but how he has played has been solid, if unspectacular.
I like Jarvis Green, but if you watch him play, he is NOT a strong 2gap run defender. He has a good role here, but replacing Seymour with Green would be a big dropoff in an area that is vital to our defense.
I expect that we will see steady improvement in Seymours play through the end of the seaosn and in the playoffs.
Seymour is recovering from an injury, and has always been a DOMINANT 2 gap DL. I have no worries that he has lost his ability.

nice post; personally i agree with you and probably in the next weeks, probably the most important ones..., we will be happy to have Big Seymour with us...

Last edited:
nice post; personally i agree with you and probably in the next weeks, probably the most important ones..., we will be happy to have Big Seymour with us...

Seymour is a decent player, but if we could get a first or second round pick for him, you wouldn't take it and slide Jarvis Green in his spot?

Last edited:
Seymour is a decent player, but if we could et a first or second round pick for him, you wouldn't take it and slide Jarvis Green in his spot?

Armen: how many times we were talking in this board how much Big Seymour was an important-vital key of the defense ? i agree that recently (due in my opinion to injury) he has not the 'usual' # 93 but let's see what he will do in the next weeks

i love Jarvis too but i still prefere to see # 93 on the field

if we could have a first round pick for him i will 'reflect' but , again imho, not yet for a 2nd rounder

Armen: how many times we were talking in this board how much Big Seymour was an important-vital key of the defense ? i agree that recently (due in my opinion to injury) he has not the 'usual' # 93 but let's see what he will do in the next weeks

i love Jarvis too but i still prefere to see # 93 on the field

if we could have a first round pick for him i will 'reflect' but , again imho, not yet for a 2nd rounder

Believe me, I would love to see #93 start playing up to what they're paying him. When he is "on", he is a huge part of this defense.

I just see a man who has not been "on" in quite some time.

I am hoping the next couple of weeks vs. weak opponents light his fire aain in time for the postseason.

Seymour is a 3 time All-Pro, who was 2nd team All-Pro just last season despite all the b*tching and moaning. He's 28. He's not going anywhere and he shouldn't

Every other thread on this board is about the records we are setting , or how great our players are. All this negativity? What should we talk about how great we are all the time?

There is nothing wrong with discussing players who are underperforming. Seymour makes enough money to be discussed if he is not dominating.

Sey was a dominating force at his best. He has been far from the for awhile now.

Last edited:
Let me understand. You want to take our injured all-pro DL who is signed through 2009, and trade him for a 2008 1st rounder. In 2008, we would take a $12M cap hit plus the cost of the first rounder. I'm glad you're not running the team.

And you would replace one the best Dl's in the league with a situational pass-rusher.

Seymour is a decent player, but if we could get a first or second round pick for him, you wouldn't take it and slide Jarvis Green in his spot?

Last edited:

Right On Andy.
Great points made simple.
I understand how some fans can feel this way about Richard's recent playing.....but you hit the nail on the head.

We are very lucky to have Sey and he's a great compliment to Vince, Ty, Jarvis and Mike Wright.....We should keep all of the dudes!

Enough*****in'

You see, in the eyes of a few, all they care about is what has happened in the past couple of weeks. They don't value the opinion of BB. They don't understand that the guy is still playing hurt. They don't understand that he will get better. They don't understand that he could be back to 100% next year and raise havoc again.

They live in a world of what have you done for me today.

Serious question guys. Since Sey signed that big contract he has not done much for this team. He was out for 9 weeks this year , then comes back and has been highly ineffective. He seems to have picked up a slight injury bug over the last couple of years.

In fact teams are running at him and having success. I don't know if Sey is hurt or what. Maybe the injury was more serious then anyone anticipated. Maybe he is just taking a bit longer to get back to his former dominant self, who knows.

That said , do you think the pats would ever think about trading big Sey for defensive needs and picks? With the chance to draft Chris Long and the ability Jarvis has do you you think the pats would ever think about it? Imo Wilfork and Warren are the real force's on that line.

Not bashing big Sey , just wondering what you guys think.

Yes, but I think other teams see the way he's played the last couple of years, and then look at that HUGE contract, and might be unwilling to trade for him. Case in point is you are correct, teams are running to his side, so clearly they have noticed his ineffectiveness. They'll be some interested, but I wouldn't think alot.

Oh DUDE!

You just opened up the can of worms!

You think the Maroney apologists are outta control, wait until you run into the Seymour enablers!

They live by this credo that Seymour is All-World, but you really can't tell because the system he plays in allows his work to go largely unnoticed and his causing double-teams makes Wilfork and Warren better!

(They don't like to discuss that the Pats take Seymour OUT OF THE GAME when they need a sack - and they put in Jarvis Green!)

Has anyone here ever read the children's fable "The Emperer's New Clothes" by Hans Christian Andersen?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Emperor's_New_Clothes

Exactly. I called Seymour out after the Baltimore game and was called a hater. I called him the most overrated defensive player in football. Harsh? Maybe. However, given the way he has played, it is not too far from the truth. Honestly, we pay this guy to be one of the top defensive linemen in the league. I'm sorry, but is it asking too much to see this guy get some tackles for losses or no gains, force some fumbles, knock down some passes, get some pressures, and get some sacks? I mean, for cris sakes, let's stop it with the "he gets paid to tie up blockers" nonsense. He gets paid to do more than that. If this is the Richard Seymour we are going to get from here on out in his career, than he is WITHOUT A DOUBT not worth the money we pay him. Sorry, but that's how I see it.

Last edited:
Oh DUDE!

You just opened up the can of worms!

You think the Maroney apologists are outta control, wait until you run into the Seymour enablers!

They live by this credo that Seymour is All-World, but you really can't tell because the system he plays in allows his work to go largely unnoticed and his causing double-teams makes Wilfork and Warren better!

(They don't like to discuss that the Pats take Seymour OUT OF THE GAME when they need a sack - and they put in Jarvis Green!)

Has anyone here ever read the children's fable "The Emperer's New Clothes" by Hans Christian Andersen?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Emperor's_New_Clothes

I'm just glad you know more about the team than BB who obviously likes those players enough to have them on the team. You should submit your resume to the Pats so you can get rid of all the underachievers since BB clearly doesn't know the value of his own players and keeps these underacheivers around.

Why would anyone trade a Hall-of-Fame defensive lineman in the prime of his career? Some even called him the best number 6 draft pick ever.

Someone else was picked 6th overal was pretty good, his name is Jim Brown. You might have heard of him.

Why would anyone trade a Hall-of-Fame defensive lineman in the prime of his career? Some even called him the best number 6 draft pick ever.

Someone else was picked 6th overal was pretty good, his name is Jim Brown. You might have heard of him.

Well, whoever said he was the best #6 pick ever obviously never seen Jim Brown run the football. Good lord.:rolleyes:

If Seymour gets better and better over the rest of this season, then we will be in very good shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents