PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would a football Glossary Thread be helpful???

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATSNUTme

Paranoid Homer ex-moderator
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I was thinking that it might be good to have a thread of general football tems and definitions.

For example if we had a link to an article defining what a cover 2 defense is, we could post it on that thread.

If we had this where should the thread be? Should it be a sticky on this forum? The general forum?

I'm just putting this out to see if there is any interest and if this would helpful to people. We could post links to the very basic terminology to the more complex as we find them.

There might be one or two posters who might want to write there own artilces of area's of expertise that they may have.

I'm sure that most of us know or think we know everything about this great game.

What do you think?

Last edited:
PATSNUTme said:
I was thinking that it might be good to have a thread of general football tems and definitions.

For example if we had a link to an article defining what a cover 2 defense is, we could post it on that thread.

If we had this where should the thread be? Should it be a sticky on this forum? The general forum?

I'm just putting this out to see if there is any interest and if this would helpful to people. We could post links to the very basic terminology to the more complex as we find them.

There might be one or two posters who might want to write there own artilces of area's of expertise that they may have.

I'm sure that most of us know or think we know everything about this great game.

What do you think?

I think that that is an excellent idea.

Perhaps it would be better if there were a new forum (Classic Threads?) for it to go in -- along with other things that shouldn't get lost in the general to and fro of discussion.

FootballOutsiders is doing a series of articles on the basics of football (so far, they've covered special teams, some of offensive line play and some of wide receiver play) that we could link to with advantage. Also, a link to Miguel's cap resources/explanations.

What's with you, Sir Nut? Are you running for Moderator? :D

Mike the Brit said:
FootballOutsiders is doing a series of articles on the basics of football (so far, they've covered special teams, some of offensive line play and some of wide receiver play) that we could link to with advantage. Also, a link to Miguel's cap resources/explanations.

They've been doing that for the past few summers. Great articles:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/category/ramblings/strategy-minicamps/

Spring/Summer of 2004:

-Colts Off-tackle play
-Cover 2
-West Coast Offense

Spring/Summer of 2005:

-Zone Blocking vs. Man Blocking
-4-3 vs. 3-4
-Defensive Line technique
-I-Formation
-Man Coverage
-Zone Coverage

Spring/Summer of 2006:

-Kickoff Returns: The Wedge
-Kickoff Coverage
-Passing Offense: Protection, Patterns, Dropbacks
-Passing Offense: Slants and Flats

Here's a few more I've come across:

Dave Sez' "Eleven" - a 6-part Series:

http://www.davesez.com/archives/000863.php

(Other parts are on right side menu)

K.C. Joyner (The Football Scientist). He does articles and research, and this is his glossary of terms:

http://thefootballscientist.com/football_research/glossary.htm

Football.com's sample playbook, with explanations on terminology:

http://www.football.com/playbook/index.shtml

DaBearz' football theory download section, with playbooks, lectures, etc. galore:

http://dabearz.com/forums/downloads.php?do=cat&id=3

(That includes the Patriots 2003 playbook, Belichick's 1997 Jets defense, and a lengthy powerpoint on Urban Meyer's spread offense)

Some more diagrams:

http://www.coachteed.com/

Last edited:
Mike the Brit said:
I think that that is an excellent idea.

Perhaps it would be better if there were a new forum (Classic Threads?) for it to go in -- along with other things that shouldn't get lost in the general to and fro of discussion.

What's with you, Sir Nut? Are you running for Moderator? :D

It's the blind squirrel theory at work.:rocker:

Pats1 just posted a lot of good links.

But, I think this will only be useful if it's a "sticky thread" where people can go and use it as a reference. Otherwise, it will get burried by the "Has Ty Law Signed Threads' or if two cheerleaders are caught having having sex in a bathroom.

New England Patriots
Play-by-Play
Breakdown and Analysis
Copyright © 2005 “The Breakdown Volunteersâ€​
All Rights Reserved​

[This fantastic resource should be on any thread for Pats fans wanting to know more about the game. Credit to Box_O_Rocks, Pats1 and Patsfan37 (I hope I haven't missed any of you volunteers.)]

Click on the game links to see a complete breakdown focusing on the play of the offensive and defensive lines, with analysis and commentary.
Game 11: Kansas City; Sun Nov 27; 1:00 pm; L 26-16

Fourth quarter.
Game 10: New Orleans; Sun Nov 20; 1:00 pm; W 24-15

Fourth quarter.
Game 9: Miami; Sun Nov 13; 1:00 pm; W 23-16

First five series.
Game 8: Indianapolis; Mon Nov 7; 8:30 pm; L 21-40

First two series.
Game 7: Buffalo; Sun Oct 30; 8:30 pm; W 21-16

A few plays here and there as we try to organize volunteers.
Game 6: @ Denver; Sun Oct 16; 4:15 pm; L 28-20

Complete breakdown.
Game 5: @ Atlanta; Sun Oct 9; 1:00 pm; W 31-28

First half complete.
Game 4: San Diego; Sun Sep 18; 1:00 pm; L 41-17

Sorry. Game was not analyzed.
Game 3: @ Pittsburgh; Sun Sep 25; 4:15 pm; W 23-20

Sorry. Game was not analyzed.
Game 2: @ Carolina; Sun Sep 18; 1:00 pm; L 27-17

First half complete.
To discuss the game in the context of this breakdown, please use this thread on the PatsFans messageboard.
To post feedback on the type of information and formatting, please use this thread on the PatsFans messageboard.
Game 1: vs. Oakland; Thu Sep 8; 9:00 pm; W 30-20

Marc started his analysis with this game and posted portions of it on the PatsFans.com messageboard. Dave formatted the analysis for web presentation.
Please note that the format evolved as we prepared the breakdown of this first game. The result is rich with information, but not as easy to read as the Carolina breakdown.

PATSNUTme said:
It's the blind squirrel theory at work.:rocker:

Oh, you're full of brilliant ideas. Only, most of them tend to be a bit more ... how shall I put it? ... subversive. :D

Last edited:
pats1 said:
They've been doing that for the past few summers. Great articles:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/category/ramblings/strategy-minicamps/

Spring/Summer of 2004:

-Colts Off-tackle play
-Cover 2
-West Coast Offense

Spring/Summer of 2005:

-Zone Blocking vs. Man Blocking
-4-3 vs. 3-4
-Defensive Line technique
-I-Formation
-Man Coverage
-Zone Coverage

Spring/Summer of 2006:

-Kickoff Returns: The Wedge
-Kickoff Coverage
-Passing Offense: Protection, Patterns, Dropbacks
-Passing Offense: Slants and Flats

Here's a few more I've come across:

Dave Sez' "Eleven" - a 6-part Series:

http://www.davesez.com/archives/000863.php

(Other parts are on right side menu)

K.C. Joyner (The Football Scientist). He does articles and research, and this is his glossary of terms:

http://thefootballscientist.com/football_research/glossary.htm

Football.com's sample playbook, with explanations on terminology:

http://www.football.com/playbook/index.shtml

DaBearz' football theory download section, with playbooks, lectures, etc. galore:

http://dabearz.com/forums/downloads.php?do=cat&id=3

(That includes the Patriots 2003 playbook, Belichick's 1997 Jets defense, and a lengthy powerpoint on Urban Meyer's spread offense)

Some more diagrams:

http://www.coachteed.com/

Good post Pat1. I'm alsway glad to see your post with your countdown to TC.

Those are exactly the type of links that I'm talking about.

There are others that are more basic.

Once again, it would be probably be more useful to many who post or just lurk, to have all this info on one thread when it can be easily found.

PATSNUTme said:

What do you think?

Come on Patsnutme. You know about posting OT threads here. Oh......... this one's about Football...............damn! Are you feeling OK? :D

PS: It's an excellent idea. I second your motion.

Great idea.
Can you add these subjects to the glossary...

"Huddle Procedure"...and include the differentiation between college and pro football as it relates to kicker's responsibilities.

"Clock Management"...and include the differentiation between college and pro football as it relates to kicker's responsibilities.

"Blocking Responsibilities"...and include the differentiation between college and pro football as it relates to kicker's responsibilities.

I am not very smart because I only have 90 posts...so I hope all the enlightened mega posters can tackle these complex football concepts as they apply to field goal kickers.

It's a good idea but.....with the history of this forum there could be 15 posts on the definition of one term degrading into whether someone knows more about football than another because they have another idea about what that term means. The sticky is a good idea but we would need to come up with a way to keep it just terms and thier definitions. I don't see how that could be done unless members send definitions to the moderators (was that a groan from the collective higher ups?) and they add them to a sticky thread. Any other ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ian, this is a natural for a sticky thread. The various links make wonderful and very useful references and any additions would be welcome.

PatsRI said:
It's a good idea but.....with the history of this forum there could be 15 posts on the definition of one term degrading into whether someone knows more about football than another because they have another idea about what that term means. The sticky is a good idea but we would need to come up with a way to keep it just terms and thier definitions. I don't see how that could be done unless members send definitions to the moderators (was that a groan from the collective higher ups?) and they add them to a sticky thread. Any other ideas?

The idea is to post links to various sites that define or explain football. A place for posters and viewers to go to expand their knowledge of football.

Example: Maybe BB uses a term at a Press Conference that someone is not familar with. They may be able to find out on one of the links that is posted.

It's not to get into pissing contest. I suppose if the mod's or any one of us see that happening we can tell them to take it some where else.

This is just a thought and maybe it won't work here.

Last edited:
Nut :rocker: ,

I see being TIGHTNUTSme for a few posts has made you a new man! :singing: We'll have to see how long this lasts and schedule you for another Pink Soprano treatment so we keep our new, enlightened, and now 'beloved' thinker! :D

Back to practical matters: As Borg kindly demonstrated, there will be disagreements and the occasional disrupter, but the goal shouldn't be the development of the Oxford Dictionary of Crazy Yank Sports Terminology (I suspect Mike is secretly working on just such a project), the goal is to have a "discussion forum" with all the afterbirth, blood, and screams of joy that involves.

Rather then sticky a thread, beg Ian to create a new Football Theory forum, people who enjoy the minutia of terminology and kicker responsibilities will visit there just like the draft fanatics or the political "thinkers" visit those forums, the wankers will fall away in time and we who are interested can discourse savagely amongst ourselves. Patriots discussion here, Theory over there, Politics in their dungeon, it has possibilities O Blind Squirrel of Wisdom. :rocker:

Edit: Ian can always sticky this thread and see how it goes for a couple weeks before deciding to keep it or start a new forum...

Last edited:
Box_O_Rocks said:

I see being TIGHTNUTSme for a few posts has made you a new man! :singing: We'll have to see how long this lasts and schedule you for another Pink Soprano treatment so we keep our new, enlightened, and now 'beloved' thinker! :D

Back to practical matters: As Borg kindly demonstrated, there will be disagreements and the occasional disrupter, but the goal shouldn't be the development of the Oxford Dictionary of Crazy Yank Sports Terminology (I suspect Mike is secretly working on just such a project), the goal is to have a "discussion forum" with all the afterbirth, blood, and screams of joy that involves.

Rather then sticky a thread, beg Ian to create a new Football Theory forum, people who enjoy the minutia of terminology and kicker responsibilities will visit there just like the draft fanatics or the political "thinkers" visit those forums, the wankers will fall away in time and we who are interested can discourse savagely amongst ourselves. Patriots discussion here, Theory over there, Politics in their dungeon, it has possibilities O Blind Squirrel of Wisdom. :rocker:

Edit: Ian can always sticky this thread and see how it goes for a couple weeks before deciding to keep it or start a new forum...

A Football theory forum sounds like a great idea. I looked through some of those links provided by pats1 and realised, yet again, how much more there is to learn about the game. As for your idea of a Terminology for Crazy Yank Sports, hmmmm...............

"Football" (known by the rest of the world as American Football): Rugby for people who are even fatter than Rugby players. Involves lots of code words, which boil down to "hit bloke in different coloured shirt".

Baseball. Rounders for blokes in tights. Cricket for stupid people, with all the nuances taken out. Don't hit ball very often, run when you do (and sometimes when you don't).

Basketball: Netball for blokes. Much less fun to watch as a result (unless you are gay).

Hockey: Known as Ice Hockey by the rest of the world. Fighting, fighting and more fighting. Played by incredibly dangerous people. Game sometimes break out, but this too involves more fighting. Must be homicidal maniac to play. Edit: if any of you play hockey, I'd like to show you my appreciation and ask you not to bludgeon me to death. Thanks.

Last edited:
Box_O_Rocks said:

Thanks for that endorsement, Box, I think. Don't dispair, I "m the same old Turk that I always have been. I'll be back making stupid post real soon.

Your idea and others if a separate forum is a good one. I don't know how much is involved on Ian's part to do that.

This link is about a basic as you can get as far as defining terms.

http://football.about.com/od/football101/l/bl_glossary.htm

I suggested a FAQ to Miguel last year. This Forum should have an easily visible FAQ button accessible from the top covering draft rules, cap rules, terminology, whatever. It would eliminate many posts such as querying "What are the PUP rules?" etc.

PatsWickedPissah said:
I suggested a FAQ to Miguel last year. This Forum should have an easily visible FAQ button accessible from the top covering draft rules, cap rules, terminology, whatever. It would eliminate many posts such as querying "What are the PUP rules?" etc.

I agree. What it is called, I don't really care.

It can answer a lot of questions wihtout someone starting a separate thead. And then others chiming in that it's a dumb question. Then the pissing contests start. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Last edited:
I like the idea of having a listing of simple terms and things that could happen the next few weeks, like the PUP list, Practice squad rules etc just to help the newer fans and those unfamilar with certain things find out whats going on without making a post asking what the PUP means.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST