PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

With Free Agency set to start are the Patriots in a good cap position?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So????

I don't think that Light is worth LT salary to play LG. Do you disagree?

Are are you starting a different discussion with regard to value of Mankins?

Light's LT salary @ LG is less than we'd pay Mankins to play LG

I agree.

However, if Light stays, he will likely be the overpaid one unless one expects Light to move to LG in 2012. Even then, paying Light LT salary to play LG seems wrong.

Re-signing Light seems a huge longshot at this point.
I dont agree. I think if we ca resign Light we will. Having him to transition to Solder would be the ideal situation.
I think drafting Solder had a lot to do with the uncertainty of Light, if he went elsewhere we would be in huge LT trouble, but the fact the we drafted Solder does not preclude Light.
I would not conisder Light overpaid if we go into 2011 with Light at LT, Vollmer at RT and Solder as the backup to both, just as Volmer was as a rookie. There is plenty of playing time for all 3.
Light may transition to G or the bench, or be cut due to the cap or traded if all goes as planned, but with the cap room we look to have, its a worthwhile investment IMO.

I dont agree. I think if we ca resign Light we will. Having him to transition to Solder would be the ideal situation.
I think drafting Solder had a lot to do with the uncertainty of Light, if he went elsewhere we would be in huge LT trouble, but the fact the we drafted Solder does not preclude Light...
Light may transition to G or the bench, or be cut due to the cap or traded if all goes as planned, but with the cap room we look to have, its a worthwhile investment IMO.

I don't think that was their thinking. We had Vollmer as a left tackle if Solder wasn't drafted, we kept Kaczur on the roster, and we tagged Mankins. They needed o-linemen for sure, but not necessarily a left tackle -- actually, Vollmer moving to the left side probably would have upgraded that position.

I feel like the Solder pick made it far more likely that they would re-sign Mankins. Once they knew they didn't have to spend $6 million a year on Light, they probably felt better about giving Mankins his $50 million. They'll let Light go, and collect a third- or fourth-rounder when he signs with the Chiefs for $25 million.

Meanwhile, my guess is they'll pursue the strategy of recent years and try to stick to signing cut players, not UFAs, so that they can accumulate more picks. Does anyone know where there's a list of likely cuts?

I think drafting Solder had a lot to do with the uncertainty of Light, if he went elsewhere we would be in huge LT trouble, but the fact the we drafted Solder does not preclude Light.
I would not conisder Light overpaid if we go into 2011 with Light at LT, Vollmer at RT and Solder as the backup to both, just as Volmer was as a rookie. There is plenty of playing time for all 3.

I think so as well, particularly in contract negotiations. If Lights demands are unreasonable in the Pats eyes, I could see Vollmer to LT and Solder to RT for the time being.

But, its still not far fetched to think that Solder wouldnt start at LT from game 1 either. Light started as a R and so did Koppen.

You say that we will re-sign Light if we can.
I saw that this is a long-shot.
I suspect that both statements are true.

On the day free agecny starts, we will have three OT's in place plus LeVoir and Maneri to compete for the #4 spot. We will have starting OG's and a future starter likely headed for the PUP list. Sure, we'll try to sign Light. The patriots will offer Light a fair deal, considering what he is worth to the patriots.

Personally, I think that there will be at least one team who needs a starting OT more than we do. Perhaps there really are teams that don't have three starting OT's on their squad and will pay significantly more than we will. Additionally, if it matters to Light, there will be another team who will sign him to at least a 3 year contract, likely as a starter. $25M was mentioned. That seems about right.

Do you think that Light is worth $25M to the patriots over 3 years? Would Light even accept this amount from the patriots, or would he prefer to be a starter and a leader somewhere else?

Light has been a fine LT for us. We have signed his replacement, twice. It is time for him to move on.

I think so as well, particularly in contract negotiations. If Lights demands are unreasonable in the Pats eyes, I could see Vollmer to LT and Solder to RT for the time being.

But, its still not far fetched to think that Solder wouldnt start at LT from game 1 either. Light started as a R and so did Koppen.

Take it to the bank, Light is not coming back. That ship has sailed. The Matty Light era ended the second they drafted Solder.

Kaczur's health is a big issue, also the Patriots have not had any minicamps to evaluate depth. Yes, ideally they could sign Light but it isn't going to happen, given their track record of developing offensive linemen I am not worried.

Sorry to be obtuse but back to the original question?

Are the Patriots in a good cap position?

Last edited:
Picture 5 years ago if Randy Moss,T.O, Plaxico Burress were FAs, and Ochocinco and Steve Smith could be had for 3rd rounders, best FA WR class.

Now they are all old and run down junk, Pats chance at a tall deep threat is Sidney Rice or Malcolm Floyd.

Not needed but if we were going to sign one outside FA.....

I don't think drafting Solder has much to do with the uncertainty of Matt Light THIS YEAR. I think Light will resign, but the guy is up there in age and probably only has 1-2 good years left. I think Light will start at LT this year and there will be a gradual transition to Solder.

I don't think drafting Solder has much to do with the uncertainty of Matt Light THIS YEAR. I think Light will resign, but the guy is up there in age and probably only has 1-2 good years left. I think Light will start at LT this year and there will be a gradual transition to Solder.

I think the Patriots would like to resign light for 1-2 years. But I just don't see him coming back. In an interview on Sirius NFL radio right after the lockout occurred he seemed pretty bummed that he might not have the chance to test the free agent waters. Since he already has the money, the rings and the respect of his teammates he might view a change of scenery outside of New England as a good thing. The Patriots already have a good locker and he might view a change to be an even bigger figure in the locker room as a challenge.

I do see the Patriots trying to offer him 1-2 years at around $5-$12 million, but I do see another team that needs that veteran leadership paying him around 2-3 for around $13-$20 million.

The Pats have a lot of decisions to make, but let's remember the cap goes up substantially and the rookie cap frees money for veterans. This will be a wild FA market, but there's money there. I hope the Pats work out and sign Giants DE/OLB Mathias Kiwanuka if he's healthy enough to play. he has a very tough injury - a herniated disc in his neck - but that guy can bring the pressure from the outside.

I've swung back and forth on this issue so many times that I'm beginning to feel like a pendulum. Here's were I am today.

1. I find it hard to believe that the Pats drafted Solder THAT high without thinking that he can start right away. Though I don't think Warren got a lot of playing time early his first season.

2. I think Light would STILL have great value as a starting LG/backup OT. The thought being that the drop in talent from Mankins to Light would be slight and an actual upgrade over Connollly. We would save money on their respective contracts and gain some kind of draft pick compensation (2nd round) in a sign and trade deal that moves Mankins.

This would be a solid strategy for the Pats, but one I find unlikely at this point.

3. If Light goes and Mankins stays, then I see Kazcur staying. One to compete for a starting G spot, and to be a back up for the OT spots.

BOTTOM LINE, I think with the drafting of Cannon and Solder, plus the return of Kazcur and the continued development of Connolly, Maneri, LaVoire, etc we have improved at least the TALENT level of our OTs and OGs. even if Light moves on. We will certainly have more depth.

The C and depth at C concern me more that OT right now

They're not in awful shape going into next year. Both Wendell and Connolly have shown they can survive at center, at least in the short-term. Between those two and Koppen, they should be okay there.

I've swung back and forth on this issue so many times that I'm beginning to feel like a pendulum. Here's were I am today.

1. I find it hard to believe that the Pats drafted Solder THAT high without thinking that he can start right away. Though I don't think Warren got a lot of playing time early his first season.

2. I think Light would STILL have great value as a starting LG/backup OT. The thought being that the drop in talent from Mankins to Light would be slight and an actual upgrade over Connollly. We would save money on their respective contracts and gain some kind of draft pick compensation (2nd round) in a sign and trade deal that moves Mankins.

This would be a solid strategy for the Pats, but one I find unlikely at this point.

3. If Light goes and Mankins stays, then I see Kazcur staying. One to compete for a starting G spot, and to be a back up for the OT spots.

BOTTOM LINE, I think with the drafting of Cannon and Solder, plus the return of Kazcur and the continued development of Connolly, Maneri, LaVoire, etc we have improved at least the TALENT level of our OTs and OGs. even if Light moves on. We will certainly have more depth.

Kaczur isn't cheap. I'd rather spend a little more money and have the better player Light instead, especially given concerns about K's back. Competing FA offers that break the bank for Light would make me change my mind and let him go.

I see a center fairly high in the Pats next draft.

I do see the Patriots trying to offer him 1-2 years at around $5-$12 million, but I do see another team that needs that veteran leadership paying him around 2-3 for around $13-$20 million.

So why would he leave $10,000,000 on the table? It will be his last kick at the can.

Yes it would be good to have Light back so he can be there if Solder cannot handle the load. It would also be nice to have Champ Bailey backup McCourty, neither are happening.

Kaczur could be a nice backup at tackle and maybe kick inside to guard (if he is healthy). Also keep in mind Kaczur is only one year younger than Light.

Mankins is the key to the whole thing. With him locked up long-term the Patriots have Sodler, Mankins, Vollmer as building blocks.

QB is currently 3 deep, so the most the team needs there is a camp arm.

RB is currently 5 deep, so the most the team needs there is camp depth
TE is currently 4 deep, so there's nobody needed there

WR is currently 6 deep, so a legitimate competitor and a longshot or two are needed

NT is currently 1 deep with pretenders, so backup NT is a need

DE is currently 1 deep with questionable competitors, so a signing here would be good

OLB is currently somewhere between 0-1.5 deep, depending upon how much you like Ninkovich and Cunningham. There's a definite need there

ILB is currently 2-4 deep, depending on how much you like the backups as all-around subs. The team should be ok here, but a plugger for competition wouldn't hurt

CB is fine if Bodden's 100%, McCourty doesn't have a sophomore slump and they can get nickel and dime performance out of one of the remnants (Dowling/Butler/Arrington/Wilhite). No signings are really needed unless the team wants more T.C. bodies

S is fine if they bring everyone back.

K should be fine if the rehab's gone well, although bringing in a leg to help with camp might be good

P should be fine, although bringing in a leg to help with camp might be good

LS should be fine

Taking a look at the roster and noting that it'll be a shortened offseason, it really seems as if the team would only need a few players as training camp depth, and a scant handful of legitimate competitors for jobs. That being the case, the team should be fine under the cap. Depending upon the final number, the Patriots might well have the money to look at a quality player at one or more of the OLB/WR/DE positions.*

* I didn't include the O-line because there's not enough info about the upcoming rules to make a really informed guess here. However, Miguel's already got Mankins under the cap with the team having money to spare, and Light's cost should be reasonable given his age, so I don't see a financial reason why he couldn't be brought back and still leave the team with spending money. Given the chance, I'd be all for the team making a run at Nicks. That would potentially result in an enormous future o-line of Solder/Nicks/Cannon/Vollmer/Center.

Last edited:
^ I like your roster analysis. The question becomes to do we lock up some of our players who will be due for an extension next year (Meriweather, Welker, Sanders, Guyton) so we can absorb some of their cap hit this year or do we go after other teams FA. Obviously it depends on how much Bill likes the current crop of FA. Given our history I think we'll just lock up our players. The FA crop isn't really great at any positions we need IMO.

I don't see us going after a wr, despite what the board seems to want. I can't see the wr budget including Welker and a long term, big money addition. On top of that the recievers this year just aren't that good. Rice is the best of the bunch but I wouldn't consider him elite.

Here's a name for the DL. How about Pat Williams. Should be relatively cheap and he may want a chance at a ring before he retires. He's a big body and still productive when healthy. He could fill the back-up NT role or potentially play some snaps at DE.

This seems to be a very doable list.

WR is currently 6 deep, so a legitimate competitor and a longshot or two are needed

NT is currently 1 deep with pretenders, so backup NT is a need

DE is currently 1 deep with questionable competitors, so a signing here would be good

OLB is currently somewhere between 0-1.5 deep, depending upon how much you like Ninkovich and Cunningham. There's a definite need there

ILB is currently 2-4 deep, depending on how much you like the backups as all-around subs. The team should be ok here, but a plugger for competition wouldn't hurt

Take it to the bank, Light is not coming back. That ship has sailed. The Matty Light era ended the second they drafted Solder.

Youre probably spot on. It seems very unlikely that the Pats drafted Solder that high so he could sit and learn. Thats not their M.O.

On the plus side, I dont have to listen to my Father complain about Matt Light every time I call him.

Kaczur's health is a big issue, also the Patriots have not had any minicamps to evaluate depth. Yes, ideally they could sign Light but it isn't going to happen, given their track record of developing offensive linemen I am not worried.

Im not concerned either.

Sorry to be obtuse but back to the original question?

Are the Patriots in a good cap position?

Theres always a way to make room in the cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes