PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Winning with this current receiver corp is not sustainable

Status
Not open for further replies.
sure lets just overlook that fact that he was pretty much given to them from one Harbaugh to another.

That’s what I was doing, so I am glad we all agree on it :D

I’m a fan, I don’t have to be rational or logical, I can just come in threads and ***** about stuff in hindsight that we should of done...

It's going to take longer than by the end of this regular season for rookies to be on the same page and not make common rookie mistakes, that's why it's very rare to see rookie receivers contribute significantly. It's going to take at least another 1-2 off-seasons to be able to fully evaluate rookie receivers.

Winning with todays WR corps as is, is unsustainable.

But like many pointed out, the group is going to get better. It's not like Boyce/Thompkins (and Dobson) are completely devoid of talent ala Reche Caldwell. It's just that they're young and inexperienced.

If this was a pure talent issue I'd be worried, but it was just experience. If it's still like this around week 6 maybe I'll start to get worried.

And on top of that, we have an All Pro TE incoming. Gronk will draw double teams (and be able to win against them) which will open things up for Edelman/Amendola/Thompkins/Vereen/Dobson

Re: Winning with this current receiver core is not sustainable

Agreed that Brady did not look very sharp today and that's being overlooked by fans complaining about the receivers. An average quarterback would be shouldering substantially more blame for the sloppiness in the passing game today (to say nothing of the fumble at the goal line). Luckily, we can be pretty confident that this Brady guy will be fine.

This is not accurate

Circa 2003 winning style got the fantasy football generation running scared.

Yup
Thread Ignore On!

Let me put it this way, It would've been much easier if the Emmanuel Sanders would've gone through. Nothing against the current crop but it's easy to see that the receiving core is simply too inexpierenced at the moment. They are all talented and I hope they can contribute when it matters the most but today showed that until Gronk returns Brady and the D will need to play exceptionally good for this team to win.

Man, the OP hit the panic button: "not sustainable"?

Ah, let's see - it's the first game and how many times have we seen the Pats be all over the place the first week then quickly morph into an attacking machine.

The jitters were surely sky high for the rooks, then add in they were behind in crunch time and the nervous meter went off the charts. So what? Give them a chance.

Oh yeah, KT actually caught 4 passes. Take a breath folks.

As for the "Brady did not look very sharp today" posters - are you serious? Brady was f'ing electric at times. The kiddies were running in circles or dropping balls. Brady was as good as he's ever been in the 2nd half just smoking the ball into hairline cracks in coverage. And Edelman dropped as beautiful 50 yd TD pass as you'll see all year.

This is why all that talk about putting Gronk on Pup for the hell of it was so silly. They can't afford to have Edleman and Amendola beat up every game like they were today.

Agreed, I just don't understand why TB is given these rookies and less-than-star players. Is there any other elite QB in this league that is expected to win with nobody to throw to? Why is getting this guy one elite receiver too much to ask?

Bill doesn't value WR's as highly as other positions. Elite receivers are also expensive and difficult to come by.

Bill doesn't value WR's as highly as other positions. Elite receivers are also expensive and difficult to come by.

and that is why they get shut down by teams like the Ravens in the playoffs when the refs let the DB's mug and maul our smurfs....

We almost made it to the SB in 2006 with Brown, Caldwell, Gaffney, Jackson, and some others like Doug Gabriel. Our current WRs are better than this so it's definetely possible.

Let's be really straightforward.

WIDE RECEIVERS

Our wide receivers played as well as we might expected from last year's wide receivers. Amendola did as well as a normal Welker day. Edelman did as well as Lloyd. And Thompkins (as bad as he played) was better than last year's version of Branch.

And there is tremendous room for improvement in Thompkins, Boyce and Dobson (who was
an injury scratch).
=======

TIGHT END

There are no words as to how little we got from the TE position compared to a normal game in 2012. We should add a TE this week, and even a 2nd until Gronk comes back.

Do you guys see us picking up a WR this week?

It's amazing Brady was able to win a game with two short slot receivers as his only legit targets.

I wouldn't be too hard on Thompkins.

The errors he made today are very correctable. Drag your feet on sideline catches, never come to a full stop in man-coverage, and use your arms to fight off grabbing. He was held a lot today by McKelvin.

The most important thing I saw today from him is that he was in the right places at the right time (except for one occasion in the hurry up when he was on the wrong side of the formation) and he ran all the right routes. That is something that is not really teachable. Ocho never got it, and neither did the other receivers that never flourished here.

This is spot on. It should have it's own thread.

Let's be really straightforward.

WIDE RECEIVERS

Our wide receivers played as well as we might expected from last year's wide receivers. Amendola did as well as a normal Welker day. Edelman did as well as Lloyd. And Thompkins (as bad as he played) was better than last year's version of Branch.

And there is tremendous room for improvement in Thompkins, Boyce and Dobson (who was
an injury scratch).
=======

TIGHT END

There are no words as to how little we got from the TE position compared to a normal game in 2012. We should add a TE this week, and even a 2nd until Gronk comes back.

The Thompkins line is where you lost me. That was crazy talk. He was awful.

I think it'll improve in time. Thompkins did not have a good game, but you saw the chemistry between Thompkins and Brady in the preseason, and Brady obviously trusts him. Dobson, when healthy did very well with Brady, but not as well with the backups (Mallett, Tebow). I think when Dobson and Gronk come back, the offense will open up more, and you can see how dangerous Amendola and Edelman are on the field together. IF they can stay healthy, Amendola and Edelman will cause a lot of matchup problems if they are on the field together. Health willing, this will be a high scoring offense this season.

To my knowledge no one saw something like this coming from Edelman. Considering that Amendola looks like the real deal, if one of the rookies can step up sometime this year then we will have 3 solid receivers. Brady should have a decent number of weapons when Gronk comes back.

Edelman will not last the season. He is a converted QB; he does not know how to protect his body from the big hit. Compare him to Kevin Faulk; Faulk knew how to protect himself and almost never took the big hit.

fair enough

Let's just say that it is reasonable to expect as much production from Thompkins in the next game and in the game after as Branch produced last year.

let me help you along

And Thompkins (as bad as he played) was better than last year's version of Branch.

Here the poster explicitly states that Thompkins played poorly as I indicated in the bold.

And Thompkins (as bad as he played) was better than last year's version of Branch.

Here the poster states that even though Thompkins played poorly, he was better than Branch (Dieon Branch) last year.

This statement is supported by the fact that not only did Thompkins match Branch's highest number of catches in any one game with 4 but he eclipsed his highest amount of yards as well (37 yards for Branch).

Hope I was of help to you and you now understand what the poster was saying.

let me help you along

Here the poster explicitly states that Thompkins played poorly as I indicated in the bold.

Here the poster states that even though Thompkins played poorly, he was better than Branch (Dieon Branch) last year.

This statement is supported by the fact that not only did Thompkins match Branch's highest number of catches in any one game with 4 but he eclipsed his highest amount of yards as well (37 yards for Branch).

Hope I was of help to you and you now understand what the poster was saying.

I evaluate by watching games instead of just listing numbers. Last year, Branch wasn't making plays. Today, Thompkins was costing plays.

So thanks for trying to "help me along", but I'll stand by my post, thanks.

I evaluate by watching games instead of just listing numbers. Last year, Branch wasn't making plays. Today, Thompkins was costing plays.

So thanks for trying to "help me along", but I'll stand by my post, thanks.

jaguars-fan-gif.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back