PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will there be a Bill Belichick freeway

Status
Not open for further replies.
I30 between Dallas and Ft Worth was tolled. Lots of new tollways built the past 15 years in Texas.

I fear the Tom Landry Freeway will revert to the Jerry Jones Tollway with the highest fees in the country

Last edited:
Which was caused by?...

Edit: (At least partly.)
Actually the economics of strong competition vs. no competition were obvious. Whomever was the star of that season would be the poster boy for the merger. Many thought it'd be Dawson, but Namath was OK enough for that purpose.

Actually the economics of strong competition vs. no competition were obvious. Whomever was the star of that season would be the poster boy for the merger. Many thought it'd be Dawson, but Namath was OK enough for that purpose.

OK? Blasphemy! Don't wanna derail the thread too much, but c'mon. Flamboyant NY QB with the guarantee? Not to mention a great QB too. (Damn those knees. Coulda had a couple more SBs.) That was a perfect recipe for the merger.

OK? Blasphemy! Don't wanna derail the thread too much, but c'mon. Flamboyant NY QB with the guarantee? Not to mention a great QB too. (Damn those knees. Coulda had a couple more SBs.) That was a perfect recipe for the merger.
Hey, don't get me wrong, Namath took that role, but that role of poster boy would've been whomever won. As for the guarantee, it was made at some minor convention or something - not directly to a reporter. There just happened to be one in the audience.
I forget the source, but Namath himself did not think was a big deal until it was PRed into a big deal.
Don't get me wrong, Namath, pre-injuries*, was awesome. But PR was his greatest asset and PR has nothing to do with on field stuff.
(*Spoken of as "hamstrings" but in pre-MRI era I don't doubt the guy had two acl tears.)

All the haters can take a ride on the Belichick Hershey Highway.

so why the Jets?

Good question. Could be long answer too but I'll try to keep it short in attempt to not bore the board.

1. Born n raised in Jersey. So that pretty much means I'm going to be Jets or midgets fan. Possibly Philly but never lived in South Jersey.

2. Father was/is a Jet fan.

3. Blue collar vs white collar. Of course there are plenty of exceptions to this, but typically Jet fans are your blue collar workers. (I'd qualify as white collar now, but decades of blue beforehand.) A dying breed nowadays, but tailgating with union workers is awesome. Even though it was underneath a sign saying "Midget Stadium", my first tailgates as a teenager, first time drinking publicly with a fun/diehard group of Jet fan union workers, and experiencing the JETS chant (not to mention flashing boobies at gate D) ... well that's pretty influential to a teenager.

4. This is similar to #3, but midget fans tend to be fickle. Losing season? Eh, they don't care. Don't even pay attention. For example the '07 season. They started badly. Fans were already giving up on the season. Not even watching games. I had to keep my midget fan friends interested. But then they start winning and it's all about BIG BLUE. Annoying as sh!t.

5. I like the underdog. Only to a point though. I am a Yanks fan too. (Gotta get the feeling of winning somehow. Jet/Met fans... dunno how they don't jump off a bridge.) When the Jets are winning, it's a huge freakin' deal. Makes dealing with "circus" and losing seasons well worth it.

Plenty of opportunities to switch to the dark-side (midgets) but I'm stuck. For better or worse. Much like marriage I suppose. Mostly "worse" and they take all my money.

The Goodell Landfill
garbage-dump-9377727.jpg

From a news report 12 years in the future - August 1st, 2027

The Bill Belichick Expressway opened up for traffic today outside of Canton, Ohio. Fittingly for the former head coach of the New England Patriots, whose NFL* career, which included 12 Superbowl championships, and was anything but ordinary, even his attempt as the first driver on the highway bearing his name, ended in incident, as he was rear-ended after four miles, by a car driven, ironically, by former NFL* assistant and head coach, Rex Ryan.

After the fender bender, which caused no injuries, Ryan was asked how this mishap could have occurred. Ryan, who had four stints as head coach in the NFL*, one each with Buffalo and Miami, and twice with the NY Jets, declared "I didn't get on this expressway to kiss Bill Belichick's rings".

Ironically, Rex Ryan's car succeeded in kissing the ass of Bill Belichick's car.

Bill Belichick, who was elected to the NFL* Hall of Fame an unprecedented two times, just for sheer excellence, recently had retired as head coach of the New England Patriots, when his son Stephen took over Bill's job of head coach and general manager, had no comment about the incident and merely stated, "Canton is in the past, I'm moving on to Cincinnati."

Watched that game. Rooting for the Jets & an AFL win.

I was with you. I can still sense the joy that I had watching them win that day.

Then when the Chiefs followed that up the next year with another win, we were in AFL heaven.

I was with you. I can still sense the joy that I had watching them win that day.

Then when the Chiefs followed that up the next year with another win, we were in AFL heaven.

Color TV was still relatively new as I watched at my parents' house on my birthday. Loved seeing the nascent AFC triumph! Then Len Dawson the next year and vaunted NFC superiority was dead.

Funny. And original. Honestly though it's actually pretty cool. We don't have to deal with many casual or front-running fans (most of the time). Any of those "fans" just follow the midgets. If someone identifies as a Jet fan, you know damn well they're a true fan.

Wish there'd be even less Jet fans. Would get ticket prices down. $11k (with PSL payments) a season for 4 down low on the 25ydln. Really wouldn't mind that cut in half.

I agree. It takes a real "special" person to be a Jets fan. :D

But in all seriousness it would be hard to imagine the Jets had any bandwagon followers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back