PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will the Patriots bring back the old uniform permanently at some point

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, the old people on this board who can't deal with change even though the Pats have won more in their current uniforms than in any other (including their Boston Patriots and light blue Flying Elvis shoulders unis).
I just love the old uniforms. I love the new ones as well.

Goodell epitomizes the Flying Elvis era. It's his signature.
this is an opportunity for young fans to see us at the dawn of the modern era, before Orthwein/Kraft F.E. Inc. decided to bury the very thing they're honoring now over at the Hall

I keep reading your posts lambasting the past 20+ years of Patriots history, and something keeps striking me as familiar. I've finally put my finger on it.

You post as an opposing fan. You root for another team: the 1970s Patriots.

I get that you fell in love with that team and can't let them go, and that the modern incarnation of the Patriots feels like imposters to you. But this is a forum that lives and breathes every detail of the 2016 New England Patriots. That team's season is in full swing, and it's an incredibly compelling season. Given that your team isn't suiting up this year, maybe you can try rooting for ours? It could be a lot more fun than feeling your blood boil every time you see a blue jersey.

Ouch...that hurt me!

I'm thinking that fans in my particular age bracket most closely associate Pat Patriot and red uniforms with Rod Rust, **** MacPherson, and blacked out home games.

Have zero desire to relive the "good old days".
That's a miniscule time sample. When several veteran leaders had just retired without being replaced, the Sullivan family's financial house of cards finally came crumbling down and the ownership, front office and coaching ranks were all correspondingly in transition/turmoil, and it was reflected in the team's results on the field. Raymond Berry, who was an excellent head coach except for his unfortunate attachment to Tony Eason, had refused to meet new owner Victor Kiam's demands and was fired. This time period you're referring to, through MacPherson's last game, was, in total, 28 months.

Now, here's the important stuff: The media, particularly locally, heaped hyperbole on the team's woes. Why even more than they had when the Sox, Bruins and Celtics had been in similar circumstances?

Due to Sullivan and the team's homelessness its first eleven seasons, the Pats were established locally, especially in the company of their very successful peers, as the comedy relief. The general public's ignorance, dismissal and disrespect of them were hugely relevant by the time 1976 arrived: the Patriots finally went through an entire season without major injuries, and although they were the youngest team in the NFL, they had learned to take control of games, against even the best of opponents. The 3-4 defense that Fairbanks & Bullough brought to the NFL was confounding OC's to the point that by the end of the decade practically everyone converted to it.

But the debacle in Oakland reinforced the Pats' reputation as lovable losers-"that could only happen to the Patriots"-and the Stingley tragedy 20 months later cemented it.

Seven years later, after an appearance in the Stupor Bowl, a mix of veteran holdovers and talented youngsters made it to the Super Bowl...sewing the seeds for the modern-day media local and national hate machine directed at the Patriots. Truth, reality, details, and facts all became speedbumps to be ignored in the crusade to bury the team by any means possible. This Jihad (apologies to Muslims) spread nationally to fans, coaches, players and team owners.

Take a quick look at a sample of other teams' far more ignominious-and longer-stretches:

th
adopted their logo w/black helmet in '63; Records:
1964: 5-9 1965: 2-12 1966: 5-8-1 1967: 4-9-1 1968: 2-11-1 1969: 1-13 1970: 5-9 1971: 6-8
th
adopted their logo w/outline on star in '64; Records:
1986: 7-9 1987: 7-8 1988: 3-13 1989: 1-15 1990: 7-9/2000: 5-11 2001: 5-11 2002: 5-11
th
adpted their logo on helmet in '62; Records:
1973: 5-9 1974: 6-8 1975: 5-9 1976: 8-6 1977: 5-9 1978: 2-14 1979: 2-14
2003: 7-9 2004: 2-14 2005: 4-12 2006: 7-9 2007: 5-11 2008: 7-9

...and those are only the dynasties.

I always had a good time going to the old stadium, but I totally understand folks' frustration in the early nineties. But, amidst all the rumors and speculation, hope was on the horizon. Problem is, founder Billy Sullivan, who loved the team and cared about the fans, had long since been forced out.

It's openly documented how Orthwein totally concurred with his associates'-and the media's-contention that the Patriots were something to be ashamed of. In reality, he exposed himself as a snake oil salesman from St. Louis
th
who was ready, willing and able to take the franchise back with him. It's not farfetched to surmise that he intentionally made the team look as silly as possible
th
("made them like a third-rate college program")to turn off as many long time fans/supporters as he could (remember, he made his final bid for purchase in '94). Prior to 2002, you can't take away what Bob Kraft did to keep the team here, and bring stability and security...not to mention the new stadium. You can make a good case that it doesn't matter what happened afterward, he'll always be the hero who saved the day for us.

But. 2002. There we were. Orthwein, Parcells, Bledsoe and the old stadium were gone for good. We were fresh off our first world championship, with a promising, dedicated and gifted young quarterback and a wise, rumpled, innovative, besweatshirted head coach and a brand new stadium, to become one of the toughest places to win in pro sports. Namely, CMGI Field. Wait a minute, hold on. The dot-com bust swallowed lots of wannabe holdovers from the 90's. Like, uh-huh
100px-New_England_Patriots_logo.svg.png
yeah. After eight-plus mostly nondescript seasons that was a great time to retire it and restore order, especially when looking at most opposition's dynasties, in which their teams looked and played super.

But no. What is the main reason Defamegate ever occurred? Because Kraft's response to its predecessor, CameraLocationGate, was the opposite of:

"In no way, shape or form do I or the New England Patriots acknowledge any culpablity on our part for the National Football League's miscarriage of judgement and discipline directed at us. There is no substantive basis or rationale for both the league's decision that the Patriots violated any rule, and the insanely excessive penalties imposed on us. Fairness, objectivity, and integrity have no role in the NFL's agenda or behavior."

I keep reading your posts lambasting the past 20+ years of Patriots history, and something keeps striking me as familiar. I've finally put my finger on it.

You post as an opposing fan. You root for another team: the 1970s Patriots.

I get that you fell in love with that team and can't let them go, and that the modern incarnation of the Patriots feels like imposters to you. But this is a forum that lives and breathes every detail of the 2016 New England Patriots. That team's season is in full swing, and it's an incredibly compelling season. Given that your team isn't suiting up this year, maybe you can try rooting for ours? It could be a lot more fun than feeling your blood boil every time you see a blue jersey.
They're purported to be the same team. It's impossible not to enjoy watching them; good football is hard to find, and it's been right here for a long time now. I'd still choose in '06 to simply franchise Adam and give Deion a new contract. I never went along with those bright red Santa Claus footie pajama bottom pants, or even the 60's shoulder pad stripes. There's a whole stadium full of Pats fans there in '79 who totally agree with me. Along with posters right here (of course I didn't create the thread).

So: no intent to take enjoyment away from anyone, but there is intent to educate. ("Oh man, Teach, do we HAVE to study the revolution again? It happened, we get it, can we move on?") Beyond, "whatever, the sixties and seventies and so on OK, it's in the past". The message to you is: No, it's not in the past. It's right here, today. Sunday, 1:00pm vs. the Bengals. It's not been wrong to embrace flying elvis, but in the big football scheme of things, and life for that matter, it's important to be aware of everything that's going on, and make good, strong, confident judgments based on that. Pretty much approaching things the opposite way that Goodell does.

Last edited:
Someone try to defend Flying Elvis. You will look like a jack ass, ... guaranteed.

best unis ever imho

1 - Pats Pat Patriot throwbacks
2 - Houston Oilers (i liked a lot helmet too)
3 - Bucco Bruce orange Tampa Bay Buccaneers
4 - Cincinnati Bengals (Esiason period)

Flying Elvis logo is horrible always has been. It was a stupid change and the original logo at least should be restored some day, but the old uniforms in their entirely should make a permanent return certainly at some point.

Edit: It's a **** logo. Pitiful embarrassing.

Embarrassing? If you've ever truly been embarrassed by the Flying Elvis logo, considering no other team comes close to the same amount of success since it was introduced, I feel sorry for you.

If I had a nickel for every time a friend made fun of our uniforms after we just beat their favorite team, I'd be broke.

We all have our preferences and our favorites, that's being human. I'm a Texas Longhorns fan and like the simple uniforms, and love the away whites. That being said, if it meant they got back to being a powerhouse again, I wouldn't care if they changed the mascot to the Cowgirls and made the uniforms pink, purple and lime green.

Embarrassing? If you've ever truly been embarrassed by the Flying Elvis logo, considering no other team comes close to the same amount of success since it was introduced, I feel sorry for you.

If I had a nickel for every time a friend made fun of our uniforms after we just beat their favorite team, I'd be broke.

We all have our preferences and our favorites, that's being human. I'm a Texas Longhorns fan and like the simple uniforms, and love the away whites. That being said, if it meant they got back to being a powerhouse again, I wouldn't care if they changed the mascot to the Cowgirls and made the uniforms pink, purple and lime green.
It is an embarassing, pitiful logo. ****ing ******ed. Pat Patriot on the other hand is one of the best the NFL ever had, probably number 1, all time. Yes, embarrassing as hell in fact. And by the way, the success has nothing to do with the introduction of one of the worst all time sports team logos.

It is an embarassing, pitiful logo. ****ing ******ed. Pat Patriot on the other hand is one of the best the NFL ever had, probably number 1, all time. Yes, embarrassing as hell in fact. And by the way, the success has nothing to do with the introduction of one of the worst all time sports team logos.

Honestly, why does it f**king matter so much to some people? It's just a uniform. It's been 23 years since we switched. If it's still causing embarrassment, there must be a reason, right? Are opposing fans relentlessly making fun of you for being a fan of a team with such awful uniforms? Again, where is this embarrassment coming from?

As I told Actual Pats Fan months back, if the Texas Longhorns change their uniforms, and 23 years from now I'm still pissed, bitter or embarrassed, please kill me.

Honestly, why does it f**king matter so much to some people? It's just a uniform. It's been 23 years since we switched. If it's still causing embarrassment, there must be a reason, right? Are opposing fans relentlessly making fun of you for being a fan of a team with such awful uniforms? Again, where is this embarrassment coming from?

As I told Actual Pats Fan months back, if the Texas Longhorns change their uniforms, and 23 years from now I'm still pissed, bitter or embarrassed, please kill me.
LOL. I will admit you made me laugh.

Put it this way... If the Steelers changed their logo, to something ******ed, and just changed their colors to like Silver and Maroon... it would be such an absolutely dumb and stupid thing to do. The "inept" Patriots reputation of the past is mostly not true. They were great some years, and even some stretches, and yes they were poor at times, especially right before Parcells. They had one terrible 2-14 year in 1982, but they mostly were one of the better teams in a very competitive conference from 1976-1986, with a coupld down years.

So, that all said, the old uniforms are quite legitimately better then the silly embarrassing ones they have now. Thank god they at least occasionally did the throwback so guys like Brady and crew have at least worn them. When they smoke Tennessee 59-0 in those uniforms it did not seem to hurt them. I want them to wear them in a Super Bowl.

PS: I will add this. I would take the exact same uniform they have now, if they switched to a white helmut with Pat Patriot on it, or even **** let it be the silver as long as Pat Patriot went back on it. I would rather they go all the way back, but at least Pat Patriot logo needs to come back.

So: no intent to take enjoyment away from anyone, but there is intent to educate. ("Oh man, Teach, do we HAVE to study the revolution again? It happened, we get it, can we move on?") Beyond, "whatever, the sixties and seventies and so on OK, it's in the past". The message to you is: No, it's not in the past. It's right here, today. Sunday, 1:00pm vs. the Bengals. It's not been wrong to embrace flying elvis, but in the big football scheme of things, and life for that matter, it's important to be aware of everything that's going on, and make good, strong, confident judgments based on that. Pretty much approaching things the opposite way that Goodell does.

You're so full of ****.

01 ~ You abandoned the Team in 1993. You dumped them. You abandoned us. You flat out admitted it, right here, but psychotically tried to frame it as them...abandoning you. :confused::eek::rolleyes:

02 ~ Because of Uniforms!!! In the History of Everything, nobody has ever come up with a more pathetically transparent excuse for Cowardice and Betrayal than that one!!
icon_lol.gif

03 ~ You Sold Out. PatsFans.com's Rules of Engagement prevent me stating what that makes you. :eek:

04 ~ But they don't prevent me telling you that your despicable, disloyal Cowardice disgusts me.

05 ~ And now, 23 Years later, you're trying to slip back in. :rolleyes:

06 ~ I've seen some slimy, sleazy things in my Day...But trying to excuse your vile, disgusting, and contemptible Abandonment and Betrayal of New EngLand and New EngLand's FootBall Team with this hilarious ******** about Uniforms ~ as if you preach Wisdom, when all you are is a Rat who abandoned the Team because we hadn't yet won any Super Bowls ~ is unimaginably pathetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes