PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will the Patriots bring back the old uniform permanently at some point

Status
Not open for further replies.
look the new uni is awesome. the old one is a total embarrassment. never said they lost games because of the old logo lol. i said it signified losing. there's a difference. you can't see it because you are behaving like a hormonal 40 year old women lol. when i see the old logo i think pain losing 1 and 15. may the flying logo live forever.
100px-Dallas_Cowboys.svg.png
1989: 1-15
100px-49ers_Logo.svg.png
1978, 1979, 2005: 2-14
100px-Green_Bay_Packers_logo.svg.png
1986, 1988, 1991, 2005: 4-12
100px-Pittsburgh_Steelers_logo.svg.png
1965: 2-12 1968: 2-11-1 1969: 1-13 1988: 5-11
100px-Washington_Redskins_logo.svg.png
1994: 3-13 2013: 3-13

...that's only Super Bowl winners

100px-Dallas_Cowboys.svg.png
1989: 1-15
100px-49ers_Logo.svg.png
1978, 1979, 2005: 2-14
100px-Green_Bay_Packers_logo.svg.png
1986, 1988, 1991, 2005: 4-12
100px-Pittsburgh_Steelers_logo.svg.png
1965: 2-12 1968: 2-11-1 1969: 1-13 1988: 5-11
100px-Washington_Redskins_logo.svg.png
1994: 3-13 2013: 3-13

...that's only Super Bowl winners
lol that's great but those teams went on to win with the same logo. the pats changed to elvis and they started winning. so the old logo signifies losing to me.

Incorrect. Goodell and the Patriots new logo have nothing to do with one another.

The current Pats logo was officially used and introduced in 1993.

Roger Goodell came into power in 2006.

As much as you despise the new logo, trying to associate it with Goodell is a red herring.

A similar version to the current "Elvis" logo as it is nicknamed was actually first introduced to fans in 1979 but was turned down at that time.

Article:
The Evolution of the Patriots Logo and Uniform
In 1987, Goodell was appointed assistant to the president of the American Football Conference, Lamar Hunt, and under the tutelage of Commissioner Paul Tagliabue filled a variety of football and business operations roles...through 2001.

The current Pats logo was officially used and intoduced in 1993, without the fans', or new coach Parcells', approval or consent.

lol that's great but those teams went on to win with the same logo. the pats changed to elvis and they started winning. so the old logo signifies losing to me.
A lot of people would feel the same way, if this
th
were (wrongly) replaced and later the country abruptly started prospering.

But not most of the people. Certainly not the proud ones.

th

LOL that's:) good spin.

For anyone hoping they will go back to the red uniforms keep dreaming. I love those old uni's, as a kid in Vancouver, B.C they were the reason the Pats became my favorite team in the mid-80's.

When I was 12 I picked my team based on my favourite uni's, but let's be completely realistic, the Flying Elvis logo and current uni's are the brand that is linked with one of the most successful runs in sports history. There is no way they will change it. Every time they show a clip of Brady holding a Super Bowl trophy, or Butler making the interception, or Vinatieri making the kick, it's in the current uni's and these uni's will always be associated with winning. That's marketing gold, and no matter how we feel about the old ones, they ain't coming back.

Bring 'em back 1 game a year like another poster commented.

Exactly, the current uniforms are the identity of success. 4 Super Bowls, 6 AFC titles, the GOAT player, the GOAT coach and we aren't done. It doesn't matter whether you like them or not they represent the greatest in Patriots history and you and I will probably never see that level of success in such a period of time again in our life. We never found a level of success except for flashes here and there wearing the original red's. I don't want to turn into a college fad and change uniforms to be cool or hip. The best college uniforms are the ones that represent a history of success. Who are the college teams that change their uniforms every week? The ones who don't have a historic winning identity.

We found an identity in 2001. That identity became a huge part of NFL history and undoubtedly the best in Patriots history.

Parcells totally preferred Pat Patriot, and finally got so fed up with ownership he couldn't get out of here fast enough

That explains why he changed the logo.

Get a life.

Not one but two losses to the incomparably hated Giants in games, let's face it, we should have won.

Troy, Tom and Bill will tell you that voodoo had nothing to do with winning.

When NE finally made it the Super Bowl with the ancient logo, they suffered the biggest ass whooping in NFL Super Bowl history.

Goodbye Troll.

I don't want to turn into a college fad and change uniforms to be cool or hip.
Or worse, change because you concur with haters' warped, ignorant and inaccurately pitiful opinion of you and your entire fan base and history.

But that's exactly what happened to us. To you. The very same media propaganda machine that fuels the fantasy that the Patriots cheated, was the very foundation for treating us like an obscure, irrelevant expansion team who's very few fans are pathetic sheep.

The Flying Elvis era: 1993-2001. Record: 64-66. Postseason: 3-4. The end. Not as good or accomplished as their 60's, 70's and 80's predecessors.

Everything from Game 3 '01 onward is The Tom Brady Era. NOT the end.

There are over a dozen other NFL franchises whose record from 1960-1992 was way worse than ours, and utterly lacking in competitiveness. I don't mind repeating those statistics.

Changing logos and uniforms is a cheap, pathetic marketing gimmick which, in our case, completely insults all of us: Fans, alumni, the community, our history, everything.

We found the greatest on field leader in our history, in 2001. He, along with his teammates, deserve the chance to compete in our real identity, and not in an inappropriate, nondescript, unattractive, hastily cooked-up by NFL Properties fake elvis mask, which has no more significance than a smashed videotape, or an air pressure guage.

Or worse, change because you concur with haters' warped, ignorant and inaccurately pitiful opinion of you and your entire fan base and history.

But that's exactly what happened to us. To you. The very same media propaganda machine that fuels the fantasy that the Patriots cheated, was the very foundation for treating us like an obscure, irrelevant expansion team who's very few fans are pathetic sheep.

The Flying Elvis era: 1993-2001. Record: 64-66. Postseason: 3-4. The end. Not as good or accomplished as their 60's, 70's and 80's predecessors.

Everything from Game 3 '01 onward is The Tom Brady Era. NOT the end.

There are over a dozen other NFL franchises whose record from 1960-1992 was way worse than ours, and utterly lacking in competitiveness. I don't mind repeating those statistics.

Changing logos and uniforms is a cheap, pathetic marketing gimmick which, in our case, completely insults all of us: Fans, alumni, the community, our history, everything.

We found the greatest on field leader in our history, in 2001. He, along with his teammates, deserve the chance to compete in our real identity, and not in an inappropriate, nondescript, unattractive, hastily cooked-up by NFL Properties fake elvis mask, which has no more significance than a smashed videotape, or an air pressure guage.
You know, many of us laughed and joked about this with you for a long time. For me, that's over. Give it the f### up. It's idiotic, boring, moronic and tiresome. Add something meaningful for a change.

Sorry for bumping this thread up guys, my account took a while to get accepted but what I did want to say was that, being from the UK I'm surprised there isn't more uniform changes in the NFL.

I suppose you have the throwback and colour rush but in soccer our kits (as we call them) change every season and whilst it's just different variations of the same colour(s) it keeps things fresh. With the NFL being so big on merchandise/advertising I'd have thought there would be more changes whether it's stripes here instead of there or whatever, and I'm wondering if that would solve some issues here?

Arsenal played in a purple kit back in 2005 to honour their history after moving from a stadium they'd played at for 93 years, I wonder could the Patriots go back to red to mark their 75th season?

Last edited:
All, I am going to drop forever the uniform thing in here. I made my point it seems. When I made the post I did not really realize that you all have gone through this whole thing it seems , potentially over and over, already. OK. I like the old uniform way better. In the spirit of having fun I have overstated my total disdain of the new logo a "tad". (But just a tad) I respect whatever uniform you prefer and if I offended anyone with too much "it's an embarassment" talk I apologize. Peace.
With apologies to Andrew Shepherd

th
th

HOUSTON, TX-Tuesday, 31 January 2017, Patriots' team hotel lobby

Reporter: Stacey, will Robert Kraft ever respond to Commissioner Goodell's question about filing the amicus brief supporting Tom Brady?

Robert Kraft: Yes, he will. Good morning. [Members of the Super Bowl 51 Press Corps begin to rise] It's alright. Please keep your seats. Good morning.

For the last several years, Commissioner Goodell has suggested that running a viable sports enterprise was, to a certain extent, about integrity. And although I've not been willing to directly engage in his attacks on me and my team, I have been here twenty-three years and ten days, and I can tell you without hesitation: Being the owner of this football team is entirely about integrity.

For the record, yes, I filed an amicus curiae brief in support of Tom Brady last May, but the more important question is "Why didn't you, Roger?" Now this is a young man who has represented the NFL with respect and quiet dignity his entire professional life, so it naturally begs the question, why would the commissioner, his league's most powerful spokesman and representative of its best interests, choose to reject treating him fairly? Now if you can answer that question, folks, then you're smarter than I am, because I didn't understand it until a few hours ago.

Unity isn't easy. Unity is advanced negotiation. You've gotta want it bad, 'cause it's gonna put up a fight. It's gonna say, "You want equality? Let's see you acknowledge a man whose words make your blood boil, who's standing center stage and advocating at the top of his lungs that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours." You want to claim this land as the land of the free? Then the symbol of your league cannot just be a shield. The symbol also has to be one of its members exercising his right to challenge that shield in support of the rights of a teammate, coach, assistant, equipment manager, spouse or fan. Now show me that, defend that, celebrate that in your stadiums.

Then you can stand up and sing about the land of the free.

I've known Roger Goodell for years now. And I've been operating under the assumption that the reason Roger devotes so much time and energy to shouting at the rain was that he simply didn't get it. Well, I was wrong. Roger's problem isn't that he doesn't get it. Roger's problem is that he can't sell it!

We have serious problems to solve, and we need serious people to solve them. And whatever your particular problem is, whether it's CTE, domestic abuse, fair play or the price of tickets, I promise you Roger Goodell is not the least bit interested in solving it. He is interested in two things, and two things only: making you afraid of it, and telling you who's to blame for it. That, ladies and gentlemen, is what distracts people from the truth. You gather a group of middle age, middle class, middle income fans who remember with longing an simpler time, and you talk to them about family, and American values and integrity, and you wave a photo of your league's most innovative and intuitive coach and you scream about the Patriots. You tell them he's to blame for their lot in life. And then, nearly eight years later, you impose more insane penalties on your league's model franchise, and suspend your league's best player, calling him a cheater, and a liar.

Tom Brady has done nothing to you, Roger. He has done nothing but work his way up the ranks, earn a college scholarship, captaincy and a starting job, and do anything and everything he can to help his team, accepting less pay, seeing close friends sent away, and not once complaining, ever. You want to challenge someone's integrity, Roger? You better stick with me, 'cause Tom Brady is way out of your league.

I've lost two pro sports fan bases in my life. One, the Boston Lobsters, I lost when I ran out of money. And I lost the other 'cause I was so busy keeping my team, I forgot to lead my team. Well, that ends right now.

There is an image of a minuteman, in historically accurate blue, glaring bravely out at the world in front of him, ready to snap the football. His name is Pat Patriot, and his origins are on display today at an exhibit back home, in Foxborough. He has been the identity of this franchise since 1960, eleven years before I became a season ticket holder, when young Pat Sullivan pointed him out to his father and said, "I like him the best, Daddy." He has been called the best logo in sports, and he stood by us through thick or thin for thirty-three years. Throughout my ownership of this team, I have reached out to alumni, and done everything I can to preserve our history, but I never got it. I never let it in. Beginning with the 2017 season, Pat Patriot will be restored to our helmets, and our team will wear the corresponding uniforms permanently, for good. His replacement, the "flying elvis", will make its last appearance on Sunday. It may be able to become a throwback for us someday, but for now, it's retired. We will always be able to relive our glories wearing it. Today, I seek to know and respect our fans the way my original predecessor did.

We've got serious problems, and we need serious people. And if you want to talk about integrity, Roger, you'd better come at me with more than a crushed videotape and an air pressure guage. If you want to talk about integrity and fair play, fine. Just tell me where and when, and I'll show up. This a time for serious people, Roger, and your fifteen minutes are up.

My name is Robert Kraft, and I am the owner of the New England Patriots.

Last edited:
Sorry for bumping this thread up guys, my account took a while to get accepted but what I did want to say was that, being from the UK I'm surprised there isn't more uniform changes in the NFL.

I suppose you have the throwback and colour rush but in soccer our kits (as we call them) change every season and whilst it's just different variations of the same colour(s) it keeps things fresh. With the NFL being so big on merchandise/advertising I'd have thought there would be more changes whether it's stripes here instead of there or whatever, and I'm wondering if that would solve some issues here?

Arsenal played in a purple kit back in 2005 to honour their history after moving from a stadium they'd played at for 93 years, I wonder could the Patriots go back to red to mark their 75th season?
They've already blown the opportunity to honor the fortieth anniversary of the 1976 team.

They've already blown the opportunity to honor the fortieth anniversary of the 1976 team.

Certainly be proud of the 1976 team, but honoring their 40th anniversary? What are we the Colts now? Should we hang a 1976 AFC Finalist banner?

Certainly be proud of the 1976 team, but honoring their 40th anniversary? What are we the Colts now? Should we hang a 1976 AFC Finalist banner?
Well, the Colts sound just silly...they've won league titles in Indy and Baltimore, and I don't know what they're honoring (sorry-division winners?) with banners, like the Bruins used to...

The Red Sox had really special teams, including '46-the Williams-era, when they kind of blew it; '67 was just historically special, they didn't blow anything; '75 was an unforgettable series but a loss; and '86 was equally impressive but an undeniable gag job. Those generations simply can't just be skipped over because they didn't finish on top...

Everything here is in the context of the Patriots, exclusively. The judgments, and decisions, as to what merits recognition and how that is specifically honored, is up to present ownership. We can only express opinions here.

I do not feel that Darryl Stingley or Marquise Hill are properly honored by the team.

And, Julius Adams' inevitable and long-overdue induction into the Pats' HOF should have occurred before he passed away. JMO

With apologies to Andrew Shepherd

th
th

HOUSTON, TX-Tuesday, 31 January 2017, Patriots' team hotel lobby

Reporter: Stacey, will Robert Kraft ever respond to Commissioner Goodell's question about filing the amicus brief supporting Tom Brady?

Robert Kraft: Yes, he will. Good morning. [Members of the Super Bowl 51 Press Corps begin to rise] It's alright. Please keep your seats. Good morning.

For the last several years, Commissioner Goodell has suggested that running a viable sports enterprise was, to a certain extent, about integrity. And although I've not been willing to directly engage in his attacks on me and my team, I have been here twenty-three years and ten days, and I can tell you without hesitation: Being the owner of this football team is entirely about integrity.

For the record, yes, I filed an amicus curiae brief in support of Tom Brady last May, but the more important question is "Why didn't you, Roger?" Now this is a young man who has represented the NFL with respect and quiet dignity his entire professional life, so it naturally begs the question, why would the commissioner, his league's most powerful spokesman and representative of its best interests, choose to reject treating him fairly? Now if you can answer that question, folks, then you're smarter than I am, because I didn't understand it until a few hours ago.

Unity isn't easy. Unity is advanced negotiation. You've gotta want it bad, 'cause it's gonna put up a fight. It's gonna say, "You want equality? Let's see you acknowledge a man whose words make your blood boil, who's standing center stage and advocating at the top of his lungs that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours." You want to claim this land as the land of the free? Then the symbol of your league cannot just be a shield. The symbol also has to be one of its members exercising his right to challenge that shield in support of the rights of a teammate, coach, assistant, equipment manager, spouse or fan. Now show me that, defend that, celebrate that in your stadiums.

Then you can stand up and sing about the land of the free.

I've known Roger Goodell for years now. And I've been operating under the assumption that the reason Roger devotes so much time and energy to shouting at the rain was that he simply didn't get it. Well, I was wrong. Roger's problem isn't that he doesn't get it. Roger's problem is that he can't sell it!

We have serious problems to solve, and we need serious people to solve them. And whatever your particular problem is, whether it's CTE, domestic abuse, fair play or the price of tickets, I promise you Roger Goodell is not the least bit interested in solving it. He is interested in two things, and two things only: making you afraid of it, and telling you who's to blame for it. That, ladies and gentlemen, is what distracts people from the truth. You gather a group of middle age, middle class, middle income fans who remember with longing an simpler time, and you talk to them about family, and American values and integrity, and you wave a photo of your league's most innovative and intuitive coach and you scream about the Patriots. You tell them he's to blame for their lot in life. And then, nearly eight years later, you impose more insane penalties on your league's model franchise, and suspend your league's best player, calling him a cheater, and a liar.

Tom Brady has done nothing to you, Roger. He has done nothing but work his way up the ranks, earn a college scholarship, captaincy and a starting job, and do anything and everything he can to help his team, accepting less pay, seeing close friends sent away, and not once complaining, ever. You want to challenge someone's integrity, Roger? You better stick with me, 'cause Tom Brady is way out of your league.

I've lost two pro sports fan bases in my life. One, the Boston Lobsters, I lost when I ran out of money. And I lost the other 'cause I was so busy keeping my team, I forgot to lead my team. Well, that ends right now.

There is an image of a minuteman, in historically accurate blue, glaring bravely out at the world in front of him, ready to snap the football. His name is Pat Patriot, and his origins are on display today at an exhibit back home, in Foxborough. He has been the identity of this franchise since 1960, eleven years before I became a season ticket holder, when young Pat Sullivan pointed him out to his father and said, "I like him the best, Daddy." He has been called the best logo in sports, and he stood by us through thick or thin for thirty-three years. Throughout my ownership of this team, I have reached out to alumni, and done everything I can to preserve our history, but I never got it. I never let it in. Beginning with the 2017 season, Pat Patriot will be restored to our helmets, and our team will wear the corresponding uniforms permanently, for good. His replacement, the "flying elvis", will make its last appearance on Sunday. It may be able to become a throwback for us someday, but for now, it's retired. We will always be able to relive our glories wearing it. Today, I seek to know and respect our fans the way my original predecessor did.

We've got serious problems, and we need serious people. And if you want to talk about integrity, Roger, you'd better come at me with more than a crushed videotape and an air pressure guage. If you want to talk about integrity and fair play, fine. Just tell me where and when, and I'll show up. This a time for serious people, Roger, and your fifteen minutes are up.

My name is Robert Kraft, and I am the owner of the New England Patriots.
Well, here we are. The send-off rally is Monday morning at 9:00.

"It's all set, sir. They're pushing through the request to NFL Properties, and we'll get this done before Parcells gets here. And, get this: I'm getting Kraft to choose the new one. Right, it'll be silly. And, we'll be in St. Louis next year anyway. Yes, sir."

-James Busch Orthwein, to Paul Tagliabue, 1993.

"It's taken care of, Boss. Yes, Finneran is accepting basically the same deal he rejected before, so they're not going anywhere. And Kraft is buying my involvement hook, line and sinker. Exactly, sir. So Kraft may own the Patriots, but we own Kraft."

-Roger Goodell, to Paul Tagliabue, 4/27/1999.

Well, here we are. The send-off rally is Monday morning at 9:00.

"It's all set, sir. They're pushing through the request to NFL Properties, and we'll get this done before Parcells gets here. And, get this: I'm getting Kraft to choose the new one. Right, it'll be silly. And, we'll be in St. Louis next year anyway. Yes, sir."

-James Busch Orthwein, to Paul Tagliabue, 1993.

"It's taken care of, Boss. Yes, Finneran is accepting basically the same deal he rejected before, so they're not going anywhere. And Kraft is buying my involvement hook, line and sinker. Exactly, sir. So Kraft may own the Patriots, but we own Kraft."

-Roger Goodell, to Paul Tagliabue, 4/27/1999.

You're wearing on me APF.

NO...it's the uniform of the loser Patriots. The ones who could never quite put it together, despite their talent. I agree it looks good, but it belongs to the ash heap of NFL history. Also, it was the British (Red Coats) color scheme, not the real Patriots (Blue Coats). I much prefer the sleek flying Elvis in blue. The uniform looks a bit dated, especially the road whites, but that's a minor gripe. I did love the "color rash" uniforms and wish that they could update a bit along those lines. I never thought I would like them, but they did it well. Pat patriot is dead, I think.

Other teams has alt uniforms they usually play on the road and tend to lose more wearing.

Yes, the old uniform could be worn until it's no longer a jinx, but are you that superstitious?

Like it or not, logos have trend to what looks good on a smart phone. That would mean the flying Elvis.

th

APF, a genuine question: if you could make a deal that the Patriots would return to the red Pat Patriot uniforms forever and strip the flying Elvis off everything associated with the team, in exchange for them losing next Sunday's game, what would you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft