PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wide Receiver - scouting the prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Thomas because I love receivers who are big and fast. That said, I have concerns over his route running (limited passing offense at Tech) and his hands. Usually, receivers struggle to adjust to the pro game (though this past year a number made a quick transition) and Thomas will have a bigger adjustment than most.

Confirmed: Demaryius Thomas Breaks Foot
We’ve since talked to several sources who were on hand to watch Thomas prepare for the combine and all the reviews have been glowing. Some told us many of the other players on hand at API preparing for the combine were amazed at the athleticism Thomas displayed on a daily basis. He was not only fast but very explosive and strong. The receiver coaches on hand were astonished at the route running ability the 237-pound Thomas displayed besides the ability to make all the receptions. Several we spoke with said they could not wait for his workout at the combine and, in a bit of irony, thought it would be reminiscent of the workout turned in by former Yellow Jacket receiver Calvin Johnson.

Major major red flags, but very very talented. I think we'll shy away from him, but he'll be a good pick up for a team not scared off by character concerns.

Although it says Feb. 17, this scouting report must have been done sometime in October. Williams ran afoul of Doug Marrone a second time, and quit the team rather than be suspended again. No way he's a second round pick, unless the Bengals decide they can't live without him. I'm not sure there's any worse label to have than "quitter", although given his impending suspension, I can see where he was coming from. Contrast his position with that of LaGarrett Blount, and he makes Blount look mature and responsible.

Major major red flags, but very very talented. I think we'll shy away from him, but he'll be a good pick up for a team not scared off by character concerns.

I've heard and read that this kid may be the most talented wr in this draft. I wouldn't waste a 2nd on him and all his issues. If he gets an interview with our scouts and he checks out I would be pleased if he was drafted in the 2nd. . Mario Manningham seems to have turned the corner for the Giants and he was picked up with a 3rd?

I don't know, for the most part the Pats seems to be good at sorting these characters out but have also been known to take a chance on a guy and surround him with the right environment. More so through free agency though.

Briscoe & Decker ahead of Tate, Gilyard & Damian Williams? Interesting.
I like Briscoe too, but not with any of our 2nd-rounders.
Decker is too much of a risk to invest anything more than a 4th-rounder.
Size, some people just believe bigger is better.

ali-villanueva-p1.jpg

Great Blue North Draft Report
Feb 19:

Missou WR to miss combine … Missouri WR Danario Alexander willnot be able to participate in on-field drills at next week’s scouting combine in Indianapolis after undergoing knee surgery earlier this week. Alexander will also miss the Tigers pro day on March 5th and likely won’t b healthy enough to workout for pro teams prior to the draft. Alexander, who had had three knee surgeries earlier in his career, suffered what is being described as a small ‘defect’ to one of his MCLs at last month’s Senior Bowl.

Terrible news about Thomas. After Roberts and Tate, he's my favorite WR in the draft. I thought he could be a great #3 or #4 for us. I have to wonder if he will be healthy enough to contribute this season, or if he'll be PUP'd and thus behind on practicing and timing. I feel bad for the guy. :(

On the bright side, maybe we can do some bargain shopping now? :rocker:

Haven't we done enough shopping in the damaged goods department? (see Tate, Brandon).
I'd prefer a guy who can stay healthy and whom we can get in early so he can attend all the camps inluding rookie mini and have time to learn the entire offense.

Last edited:

Fortunately, Mrs. Stone isn't one of those people.

But seriously folks, Bill does need to find a big WR to partner with - and by 2011 replace - the Randy Ratio. Briscoe & Decker could be those dudes, just not at the cost of one of our 2nd-rounders.

Haven't we done enough shopping in the damaged goods department? (see Tate, Brandon)?
I'd prefer a guy who can stay healthy and whom we can get in early so he can attend all the camps inluding rookie mini and have time to learn the entire offense.

Hear, hear. I never, ever would've used a 3rd-rounder on Tate.
I say: stay far, far away from Alexander, Thomas & Decker unless they're still avail. in the 7th round with one of our comp picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back