PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wide Receiver - scouting the prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.
Danario Alexander

Might should read this.

Sure. The opinion of a Seahawks columnist versus the consensus of 6 different prospect trackers who directly observed him at Senior Bowl practices, working under pro coaching and against college all-stars. Even so, Dixon acknowledges Alexander's lack of physicality and route-running.

He's your binky; I get that. I'm still extremely skeptical that his height compensates for the flaws in his game. And his projected 40 is about the same as Blair White's.

The Patriots have never shown any hesitation to take a guy much higher than the draft pundits have him pegged. If they think another team has interest in their guy they will take them. Wheatley, Vollmer and Mayo are 3 examples where they took a guy higher than he was pegged b/c they knew they had a team a few slots away thinking about taking that player.

And Mankins, who apparently would have been taken by SF at #33 that year.

I haven't seen any video of Goden Tate in this thread. This is a highlight video and I think its well worth watching for those who don't know that much about him. Clearly it only shows the good times but the reason I think people should watch it is to see the diversity of the man and he shows everything here from speed, quickness, toughness, hands, awareness and jumping abiility, you name it, its in this video.

YouTube - Golden Tate: Every Touchdown in 2009 - Highlights

Sure. The opinion of a Seahawks columnist versus the consensus of 6 different prospect trackers who directly observed him at Senior Bowl practices, working under pro coaching and against college all-stars. Even so, Dixon acknowledges Alexander's lack of physicality and route-running.

He's your binky; I get that. I'm still extremely skeptical that his height compensates for the flaws in his game. And his projected 40 is about the same as Blair White's.

Actually he's not my binky. Gilyard, Tate, Thomas and Williams I like though.

Maineman, I posted this several days ago and will post it again if you missed it.

Dez Bryant and Golden Tate are out of reach, imo.

Mardy Gilyard, Cin; Slot/speed;KR; 6" 180;4.51 speed; rnd 1-2

Dexter McCluster, Miss; Slot/speed;KR; 5'8 165; 4.42; rnd 1-2

Arrelious Benn, Ill; multipurpose;KR; 6'2" 220; 4.5; rnd 1-2

Damian Williams, USC (JR); multi-purpose; 6'1" 195; 4.49 speed; rnd 1-2

Brandon LaFell, LSU; multi-purpose; 6"3" 204; 4.54; rnd 1-2

Taylor Price, Oh; multipurpose; 6' 198; 4.36; rnd 2-3

Desmon Briscoe, Kansas (JR) Tall target; 6'3" 200; 4.6; rnd 3

Jordan Shipley, Texas;KR; Slot/speed; 6" 190; 4.47; rnd 2-3

Demaryius Thomas, GT (JR);Tall target; 6"3" 229; 4.59; rnd 2

Eric Decker, Minnesota; multipurpose; 6"3" 215; 4.54; rnd 4 (injured)

Jacoby Ford, Clemson; Slot/speed;KR; 5'9" 180; 4.37; rnd 4-5

Danario Alexander, Missouri; Tall target; 6'5" 220; 4.6; rnd 5-6

I have highlighted those I like a lot relative to rnd projected. If your binky was left off the list, I apologize.
Gilyard is tougher than his frame would suggest and he is a smooth route runner. Has terrific athletic ability and routinely makes highlight reel catches.
Plus, he is KR as is Benn but I doubt Benn will do that in the NFL. Benn is bigger and stronger but isn't as fast twitch as Gilyard. Benn could drop into rnd 2 and could be a great value there.
Alexander of MO could be a steal in rnds 5-6.

My Binky has finally found me. Hello Carlton Mitchell. I started thinking about him a couple of weeks ago, and now I can't live without him!

Can't find his Junior season on youtube though.

Yeah I read that, I'd agree that he doesn't have magnificent hands(he has very good hands) but last year he was being doubled and even triple teamed after Floyd(another one to watch for the future) got injured and a good number of those drops can be attributed to that, the guy jumps really high and beats big defenders so he is wrong there. He talks about speed and quickness there but Tate is also very tough and can shake off tacklers.
He also notes towards the end something else I said about him which is regarding his versatility having played tailback. Kevin Faulk is 34 this year, Tate can play that third down back role too.
On top of that he is an excellent kick/punt returner. You just don't lose with the guy. He is a Belichick dream with his verstatility!

I like Tate a lor and I think his hands are damn good. He goes up after the ball and fights for it. But he is not in the backfield unless he can pick up blitzes. I doubt that is a strength of his.

What do you think the value of this trade is like for both teams...

#22 and 4th rounder to Denver for Brandon Marshall and 3rd rounder?

Set aside the fact that you may not want Marshall anywhere near the Patriots and assume for a fact that BB would be open to bringing him in.

New Era Scouting Blog Archive Arrelious Benn Scouting Report

They compare Benn to TO. If we can get TO without the cancerous attitude, then I think Benn is a nobrainer pick. Then again they are comparing him to a HOF player and he hasn't played a down in the NFL so it's probably a bit of a stretch. Still, I like how strong he is, his body control and how he is good at beating the jam, as well as working against zone coverages. Benn would EAT UP the Colt's Cover 2 scheme. I think he could make a living in the intermediate range and move those chains 10-15 yards at a time.

I am however concerned with the report on Benn's hands and route running. BB will need to quiz him to see how smart he is at picking up offenses. The Pats have one of the most complex ones for WRs to pick up.

New Era Scouting Blog Archive Arrelious Benn Scouting Report

They compare Benn to TO. If we can get TO without the cancerous attitude, then I think Benn is a nobrainer pick. Then again they are comparing him to a HOF player and he hasn't played a down in the NFL so it's probably a bit of a stretch. Still, I like how strong he is, his body control and how he is good at beating the jam, as well as working against zone coverages. Benn would EAT UP the Colt's Cover 2 scheme. I think he could make a living in the intermediate range and move those chains 10-15 yards at a time.

I am however concerned with the report on Benn's hands and route running. BB will need to quiz him to see how smart he is at picking up offenses. The Pats have one of the most complex ones for WRs to pick up.

Agreed. I love Benn for the same reasons. Hopefully he has the intelligence to pick up on our offense.

Unfortunately, Bill (& Skippy too, IIRC) quizzed Chad Jackson pre-draft. I therefore have little confidence in Bill's ability to correctly identify high-end boom-or-bust WRs, particularly when considering the available gene pool-depleting, talent base-neutering, ridiculously complex offensive system to which Bill stubbornly clings.

I am nearly always wrong about receivers but the ones that truly stand out for me are Brandon LaFell, Danario Alexander, Antonio Brown, Carlton Mitchell and Blair White.

Brandon LaFell ran routes at LSU that he would run as a Patriot and he is very smooth doing so. He can line up in the slot or outside. Gets dinged for his hands but Jefferson isn't the most accurate QB. Tough as nails.

Danario Alexander might turn out to be the best of this bunch. Or he might be a complete bust. Awesome size and speed along with a familiarity in a pro offense. He has a higher ceiling than Maclin, who looks to be a good one.

Antonio Brown is a showstopper. I wish like hell he weren't so small. Reminds me of Deion Branch at Louisville, only a lot faster and a bit skinnier. I don't see many of the other midget WRs in this class making an impact as a pro but this guy has a very good chance.

Blair White looks like a good possession guy. Probably can't line him up outside but Belichick never hesitated to line Gaffney up out there so who knows? I'm not convinced he can run the bubble screens in the NFL as well as he did in college and his ability to do so will likely determine how successful he will be as a pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents