PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wide Receiver - scouting the prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.
if golden tate is there with our 1st second rounder do you want him?
I'm not sure, I didn't see much of him and what I saw was an athletic kid running so-so routes and getting by on his talent at a lower level. I've read plenty of good about him, but there's that question in my mind that I don't have for a Mardy Gilyard or an Antonio Brown.

I don't give two hoots how we want our offense to run, if you're in a position to pick game changing players; players with HOF potential, you do so. Worry about balance later.
Drafting players who do not fit the offense you want to run will not work.

Ask Dan Snyder or Matt Millen.

I'm not sure, I didn't see much of him and what I saw was an athletic kid running so-so routes and getting by on his talent at a lower level.
I think top-notch route running is a requirement for the Pats.

It is kinda wierd that Barnes, who is rated as high as a 3rd rounder and as low as a UDFA signing hasn't gotten an invite.

As for Lyons and Anderson, they could be intriguing. Can't be any worse than Chad Jackson..

Barnes is considered by many to be too slow for an NFL WR. Of all WR prospects, only Terrell Hudgins from Elon is slower.

He was very disappointing at the Senior Bowl. Slow off the line, even when not pressed, no burst in the open field, rarely got separation, never on the same page with the QB, mediocre hands.

Blair White is 6'2", projects to run 4.55 (same as Brandon Marshal did), is always open at the right time and catches nearly everything thrown his way. Plus, he and Hoyer were teammates. He'll probably go in the 4th, though.

Danario Alexander

Might should read this.

Has anyone seen Terrell Hudgins from Elon play? He is a FCS All American and holds several NCAA Division I records such as receiving yards (5,250) and receptions (395). He seems to be a pretty big dude at 6 ft 2 in and 236 lb.

Yep, slowest WR in the draft at 4.68

I'm not sure, I didn't see much of him and what I saw was an athletic kid running so-so routes and getting by on his talent at a lower level. I've read plenty of good about him, but there's that question in my mind that I don't have for a Mardy Gilyard or an Antonio Brown.

I'm not sold on Tate. There are other potential #1 or #2 WR's who would be better values.

Golden Tate

The biggest knock on Tate is his tendency to drop too many passes. He simply does not have the natural hands to snatch balls out of the air. He also does not have the ideal receiver size and strength to beat defenders for jump balls. He may not be able to get by on his speed and quickness alone and will have to work real hard to be a good player at the next level.

Danario Alexander

Might should read this.
"Negatives: Physicalness, Route Running"

He didn't sell me in the Senior Bowl either. Jeremy Maclin was an athletic studmuffin last year, and had a great rookie year, but his NFL QB is a bigger, stronger version of his college QB, more freelance, less laser rocket arm precision. I'd rather have the 6'5" kid from Central Michigan if I'm going to be getting a big, slow possession guy late - I just see him doing a better job at running himself open with a Tommy-sized throwing window.

"Negatives: Physicalness, Route Running"

He didn't sell me in the Senior Bowl either. Jeremy Maclin was an athletic studmuffin last year, and had a great rookie year, but his NFL QB is a bigger, stronger version of his college QB, more freelance, less laser rocket arm precision. I'd rather have the 6'5" kid from Central Michigan if I'm going to be getting a big, slow possession guy late - I just see him doing a better job at running himself open with a Tommy-sized throwing window.

Good morning, Box.
What 6'5" kid from C.Mich?

Here is my 2 rnd mock for the Pats.
#22: Sergio Kindle OLB/ Everson Griffen or JPP DE/ Dan Williams DT
#42: Damian Williams WR/Brandon Spikes ILB
#47: Demaryius Thomas WR//Jerry Hughes OLB/Rob Gronkowski TE/
#58: Austen Lane DE/Anthony Dixon RB/

Wishing and hoping...

What do you think?

Danario Alexander

Might should read this.
He isn't fastest but he had some really good numbers his senior year 113/1781
SENIOR BOWL FALLER: WR Danario Alexander, Missouri: Like many big receivers, Alexander struggles changing directions quickly - a fact that was quickly exposed in the pro-style offense he was forced to acclimate to this week. The long-strider is a good enough athlete to make plays when he gets the ball delivered to him on the move, but the expectations that he could enjoy the same sort of immediate impact in the NFL as former teammate Jeremy Maclin appear misguided. - Rob Rang, The Sports Xchange
Senior Bowl, Tuesday: The 6-5, 221-pound Alexander, on the other hand, has plenty of size. He'll need a system in the NFL that allows him to catch passes while on the move as he did when starring for the Tigers, as he has the straight-line speed to run away from cornerbacks, but is a long strider who struggles to change directions and gain separation. Perhaps most disappointing is how often he's allowed passes to enter his chest plate, resulting in some ugly drops. According to scouts in attendance at Monday's North practice, Gilyard and Alexander were just as disappointing then. They'll need strong bounce-back Wednesday practices if they are to save their falling stock before most scouts leave. - Rob Rang and Chad Reuter, The Sports Xchange
Projected Round: 5-6 Stock: High: 3 Low: 5-6
Rated number 23 out of 354 WR's
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=75582&draftyear=2010&genpos=WR
I still want Gilyard :D

Last edited:
He isn't fastest but he had some really good numbers his senior year 113/1781

I still want Gilyard :D

Alexander kind of sounds like a Randy Moss clone to me.

Gilyard will be a reach for the 2nd round I think and the Pats don't have a 3rd rnd pick.

Good morning, Box.
What 6'5" kid from C.Mich?

Here is my 2 rnd mock for the Pats.
#22: Sergio Kindle OLB/ Everson Griffen or JPP DE/ Dan Williams DT
#42: Damian Williams WR/Brandon Spikes ILB
#47: Demaryius Thomas WR//Jerry Hughes OLB/Rob Gronkowski TE/
#58: Austen Lane DE/Anthony Dixon RB/

Wishing and hoping...

What do you think?
G'day podner!

Bryan Anderson Central Michigan - holds the NCAA record for consecutive games with a reception, something around 57-58 straight games.

#22: The only kid who makes sense to me is Dan Williams, the others are all conversions which just doesn't read like a BB plan of attack in the first round.
#42: I've read good things about Damian, I don't know what Spikes brings that Mayo and Guyton don't already give the Pats.
#47: Thomas is a concern coming from an option offense that didn't use him much, bit of a gamble there. Hughes I don't see as a fit. I would prefer NE not invest in a TE that early with the way they now use them.
#58: I'm not sold on the need for a RB that early. Lane I like, though it may be too early, we'll have to see how much buzz he gets off the Combine/Pro-Day.

It's a bit early for mocking accurately, have fun with it and we'll see how things shake out for these kids as the process grinds forward.

G'day podner!

Bryan Anderson Central Michigan - holds the NCAA record for consecutive games with a reception, something around 57-58 straight games.
Will have to look him up

#22: The only kid who makes sense to me is Dan Williams, the others are all conversions which just doesn't read like a BB plan of attack in the first round.
#42: I've read good things about Damian, I don't know what Spikes brings that Mayo and Guyton don't already give the Pats. Spikes would be SILB
#47: Thomas is a concern coming from an option offense that didn't use him much, bit of a gamble there. Thomas is 6'3" 230 and plenty fast. I think he could be a very good receiver. LaFell would too but he should be gone by now.Hughes I don't see as a fit. I would prefer NE not invest in a TE that early with the way they now use them.
#58: I'm not sold on the need for a RB that early. Lane I like, though it may be too early, we'll have to see how much buzz he gets off the Combine/Pro-Day.

It's a bit early for mocking accurately, have fun with it and we'll see how things shake out for these kids as the process grinds forward.

Thanks for the input!

Thanks for the input!
Denada.

Spikes isn't a SILB in a NE 3-4, he'd be great in a San Diego system with his blitz ability and their one-gap attacking style.

Alexander kind of sounds like a Randy Moss clone to me.

Gilyard will be a reach for the 2nd round I think and the Pats don't have a 3rd rnd pick.

How will Gilyard be a reach in the 2nd round if the Pats use their later pick for him? Gilyard, right now is rated as a solid 3rd round pick. The Combine starts on the 25th. If Gilyard shows the cutting ability that he showd at the Senior Bowl, runs well, and shows good hands in the WR drills, I can easily see him moving to the late 2nd round.

Top receivers: closeup stills only but shows physical build pretty well

YouTube - Top WR Prospects 2010 NFL Draft Update #3

In no particular order

Demaryius Thomas:

YouTube - WR Demaryius Thomas Highlights/Lowlights 2009 Georgia Tech

Damian Williams:

YouTube - WR Damian Williams Highlights/Lowlights 2009 USC

Arrelious Benn:

Arrelious Benn Videos - Arrelious Benn - Zimbio

Mardy Gilyard:

YouTube - Mardy Gilyard Highlights

Brandon LaFell:

YouTube - Brandon LaFell 2010 NFL Draft Highlights

Danario Alexander: late rounder, more of a long-strider

YouTube - Danario Alexander 2009

Jordan Shipley: slot like Welker

YouTube - Jordan Shipley Highlights

Dezmon Briscoe: great Tyree-like catch

YouTube - Dezmon Briscoe

Dez Bryant: this kid really is pretty special

YouTube - Dez Bryant Highlights

How will Gilyard be a reach in the 2nd round if the Pats use their later pick for him? Gilyard, right now is rated as a solid 3rd round pick. The Combine starts on the 25th. If Gilyard shows the cutting ability that he showd at the Senior Bowl, runs well, and shows good hands in the WR drills, I can easily see him moving to the late 2nd round.

You may be right about his moving into the 2nd but there are many good WR's ahead of him right now. Taking a 3rd with a 2nd is a reach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes