PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wide Receiver - scouting the prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.
You may be right about his moving into the 2nd but there are many good WR's ahead of him right now. Taking a 3rd with a 2nd is a reach.

The Patriots have never shown any hesitation to take a guy much higher than the draft pundits have him pegged. If they think another team has interest in their guy they will take them. Wheatley, Vollmer and Mayo are 3 examples where they took a guy higher than he was pegged b/c they knew they had a team a few slots away thinking about taking that player.

If Gilyard is the highest rated player on the Pats board with their last 2nd round pick, they will most certainly take him.

You may be right about his moving into the 2nd but there are many good WR's ahead of him right now. Taking a 3rd with a 2nd is a reach.

Who says that there are "many good WR's ahead of him right now?" NFLDraftscout.com? Sure. Scouts Inc? Probably... Huddle Report? Maybe.

But here is the kicker. NONE of them matter to the Patriots. The Patriots do NOT subscribe to any of the Scouting agencies affiliated with the NFL. The Patriots have their own scouting system. And they've been known to be different than the scouting agencies.. But that doesn't mean its a reach if the Patriots feel he is 2nd round talent and the scouting agencies say 3rd.. It says that they have differing opinions. Who is right won't be known for 3 years more than likely.

And contrary to some beliefs on here, the Pats do a helluva job scouting and have hit on more players than they've missed.

Who says that there are "many good WR's ahead of him right now?" NFLDraftscout.com? Sure. Scouts Inc? Probably... Huddle Report? Maybe.

But here is the kicker. NONE of them matter to the Patriots. The Patriots do NOT subscribe to any of the Scouting agencies affiliated with the NFL. The Patriots have their own scouting system. And they've been known to be different than the scouting agencies.. But that doesn't mean its a reach if the Patriots feel he is 2nd round talent and the scouting agencies say 3rd.. It says that they have differing opinions. Who is right won't be known for 3 years more than likely.

And contrary to some beliefs on here, the Pats do a helluva job scouting and have hit on more players than they've missed.

Wow, didn't mean to offend you...I had no idea how dedicated you were to Gilyard. But isn't that really all you had say rather tee off the way you did?

oh geez.......

Wow, didn't mean to offend you...I had no idea how dedicated you were to Gilyard. But isn't that really all you had say rather tee off the way you did?
For what it's worth Db tends to "speak" forcefully, but he wasn't "attacking" you, he was arguing his perspective. :cool:

I peg Gilyard as a high-to-mid value second, which is where I'd take him with either 42-44 or 47-ish.

possession guys...you can win an SB with possession guys.....and they are a great counter to the blitz

At first, I'd posted something scathing..But then I just had to laugh at your response. Dude, in no way did I "Tee off" on you. I didn't call you stupid, ignorant, moronic, dumb, a jackarse or anything else. And in all honesty, I wasn't even forceful in my post... Instead of getting your panties in a wad and thinking that you've been attacked, why not just read what is said and maybe learn something.

You didn't offend me and I am not "dedicated" to Gilyard as you imply. I was stating that he's a guy who could easily move up from where he is now and I stated that in the original message you replied to.. There are always risers and fallers and I believe that Gilyard is a riser based on the Senior Bowl. One of many risers. Doesn't mean I favor him over another. At least not yet anyways..

Last edited:
I like guys from the non upper-echelon schools who know they have to work to make it. Haven't been a glamour boy or team their whole career. D.Branch,G.Jennings, B.Marshall and many others come to mind. Gilyard at 48 seems like a good fit. He's a good kick returner too.

I like guys from the non upper-echelon schools who know they have to work to make it. Haven't been a glamour boy or team their whole career. D.Branch,G.Jennings, B.Marshall and many others come to mind. Gilyard at 48 seems like a good fit. He's a good kick returner too.
Not to mention Punts. I like him precisely because he duplicates some of what Tate and Edelman bring to the table - I really want the competition and the depth.

The Patriots have never shown any hesitation to take a guy much higher than the draft pundits have him pegged. If they think another team has interest in their guy they will take them. Wheatley, Vollmer and Mayo are 3 examples where they took a guy higher than he was pegged b/c they knew they had a team a few slots away thinking about taking that player.

If Gilyard is the highest rated player on the Pats board with their last 2nd round pick, they will most certainly take him.

:agree:

Also, and not to pile on, but the Pats actually have their own mock draft, which aids them in figuring out other teams needs. As best they can, NE will know going in, how many teams may be in the hunt for WRs. And sometimes, their little birdies tell them exactly which WR is targeted by a specific team.

The Pats target players who fit their system, and do not draft players based on consensus rankings from various sources. With that as a ground rule, navigation throughout the draft by trading up or down is aimed toward selecting that targeted player, or trading the pick for better value.

For what it's worth Db tends to "speak" forcefully, but he wasn't "attacking" you, he was arguing his perspective. :cool:

I peg Gilyard as a high-to-mid value second, which is where I'd take him with either 42-44 or 47-ish.

Thanks Box :)

I'm not sold on Tate. There are other potential #1 or #2 WR's who would be better values.

Golden Tate

The biggest knock on Tate is his tendency to drop too many passes. He simply does not have the natural hands to snatch balls out of the air. He also does not have the ideal receiver size and strength to beat defenders for jump balls. He may not be able to get by on his speed and quickness alone and will have to work real hard to be a good player at the next level.

Yeah I read that, I'd agree that he doesn't have magnificent hands(he has very good hands) but last year he was being doubled and even triple teamed after Floyd(another one to watch for the future) got injured and a good number of those drops can be attributed to that, the guy jumps really high and beats big defenders so he is wrong there. He talks about speed and quickness there but Tate is also very tough and can shake off tacklers.
He also notes towards the end something else I said about him which is regarding his versatility having played tailback. Kevin Faulk is 34 this year, Tate can play that third down back role too.
On top of that he is an excellent kick/punt returner. You just don't lose with the guy. He is a Belichick dream with his verstatility!

At first, I'd posted something scathing..But then I just had to laugh at your response. Dude, in no way did I "Tee off" on you. I didn't call you stupid, ignorant, moronic, dumb, a jackarse or anything else. And in all honesty, I wasn't even forceful in my post... Instead of getting your panties in a wad and thinking that you've been attacked, why not just read what is said and maybe learn something.

You didn't offend me and I am not "dedicated" to Gilyard as you imply. I was stating that he's a guy who could easily move up from where he is now and I stated that in the original message you replied to.. There are always risers and fallers and I believe that Gilyard is a riser based on the Senior Bowl. One of many risers. Doesn't mean I favor him over another. At least not yet anyways..

Ok, I accept your view. And as I posted before here is Gilyard link for all to enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwkfF54rAEk

Last edited:

I think Benn is a perfect #2 opposite Moss. Can occasionally be a deep threat but is at his best working the intermediate part of the field, going over the middle. Big, physical, tough, strong. Gets off the press well and has good speed. Can break tackles in the open field. He kind of reminds me of Anquan Boldin with better speed.

Am I the only one who's scared off by Benn's average hands and mediocre route-running? Yeah, yeah. "Those can be taught, but speed/height can't."

Chad Jackson, Bethel Johnson. Apparently hands and route-running can't always be taught.

Am I the only one who's scared off by Benn's average hands and mediocre route-running? Yeah, yeah. "Those can be taught, but speed/height can't."

Chad Jackson, Bethel Johnson. Apparently hands and route-running can't always be taught.

It seems like Benn played a lot in the slot. At least that was the impression I had from watching all the highlight videos on youtube. I'd rather have a play who has more experience as split end or flanker.

I would do whatever it takes to get Golden Tate, imo the guy is going to be a superstar, he just has so much to offer. I am firmly in the camp that believes that offense is most important. Look at the Saints, they got their offense right last year and took the line this year with their D of not trying to do too much and it was hugely successful. If we get Tate I am certain that Brady throws over 40 tds next season. Of course we have to add a guard also but there is not that much needed on offense imo.

Yeah we need a DE/OLB or even two but imo the order should be WR and then play the second rounders to get the best you can with the OG the most important remaining piece.

We all know BB at this stage though, what I mean is he will probably take Tebow and another DT, an MLB and a TE.:)

I'm still betting on an Aborigine barmaid, a Ficus, and a complete set of Ginsu kinves. BYW - I know from experience that Aborigine barmaids typically have better throwing mechanics than Tebow. Trust me.

Fair enough. Worth noting we have a bunch of 7th round picks with the comp picks coming, so we can take a stab at finding another Edelman, for sure.

With Gilyard & Tate, I think Gilyard is clearly my preferred prospect, IMO - he looks like a taller, even shiftier Deion Branch. But Tate has played in an offense under Weis, and that might be huge in helping him transition. With either guy, they'd need to be in the right value range - I wouldn't spend a 1st on either, for instance.

Not sure how citing Tate's experience in a "Weis offense" is a positive qualification. Seems to me that the Pats have been running a distinctly different scheme since 2006.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes