PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wide Receiver - scouting the prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.
NFL Draft Prospects: Golden Tate, Wide Receiver, Notre Dame
Critics' biggest knock against Tate has been his ability, or lack thereof, to separate from defenders. Draft Overlord Mel Kiper concurs. According to the South Bend Tribune, Kiper notes, "He didn't separate from the [cornerbacks] on the initial routes. But he was great after the catch in the open field, running with the football."

Separation or not, he showed that he has a knack for adjusting to the ball and making the catch with defenders around.

Separation or not, he showed that he has a knack for adjusting to the ball and making the catch with defenders around.

Which is fine against College DB's - but he won't be up against College DB's, and would be facing the likes of Darrelle Revis and Vontae Davis twice a season.

The smaller WR's must be able to get separation in the league, otherwise they're useless.

Which is fine against College DB's - but he won't be up against College DB's, and would be facing the likes of Darrelle Revis and Vontae Davis twice a season.

The smaller WR's must be able to get separation in the league, otherwise they're useless.

Tate isn't small. Why do people think that he is? 5'11 inches is NOT small for a receiver. It's average. 5'8 is small, but not 5'11.

As for facing Vontae Davis, he's not at the same level as Revis. Davis is an average corner.

Give me Gilyard, Benn, LaFell or Damian Williams. I wouldn't be unhappy with Tate but Gilyard can flat out fly, gets great separation, changes directions quickly and is elusive for yac. Great KR as well. Benn is pretty fearless over the middle, as is LaFell and both are those big WR's who can go up and fight for the ball.
I have a lot of questions about Benn, not having seen him play I'm going on the draftnik scouting reports and the impression I'm getting is raw, very raw, and maybe a bit of poor attitude. :confused2: Educate me, because I'm having Chad Jackson flashbacks whenever I read about him...

Gilyard has made himself my binkie, he doesn't get the greatest separation, but he creates windows for his QB and is a RAC demon.
LaFell reads like a more talented D-Giv, which works for me.
Damian Williams reads like a QB's friend.

I have a lot of questions about Benn, not having seen him play I'm going on the draftnik scouting reports and the impression I'm getting is raw, very raw, and maybe a bit of poor attitude. :confused2: Educate me, because I'm having Chad Jackson flashbacks whenever I read about him...

Gilyard has made himself my binkie, he doesn't get the greatest separation, but he creates windows for his QB and is a RAC demon.
LaFell reads like a more talented D-Giv, which works for me.
Damian Williams reads like a QB's friend.

Hi, Box. I like Gilyard very much, as well. Of course, Dez Bryant is very special, but to me, Gilyard is special to. He has extreme fast twitch quickness. He is built a little stouter and plays tougher than McCluster, otherwise, to me, Gilyard is similar.

Benn has been compared by some to Anquan Boldin. He is pretty fearless over the middle and is strong enough and tough enough to dish out some hurt to a CB. His speed is adequate although not like Bryant or Gilyard, but he can be just as effective because of his size and strength. His freshman and sophomore yrs were most productive when he had a qb who could get him the ball.

Video - Arrelious Benn Highlights - NFL

YouTube - Arrelious Benn Highlights Mix
From the site above you can watch Dez Bryant as well.

Arrelious Benn, Illinois, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

I think the best thing about Tate is. He knows where he's going. No paralysis through analysis. With Welker in doubt we need a vet who can read a D or a rookie who knows the system. Tate has the production and the system under his belt.

I think the best thing about Tate is. He knows where he's going. No paralysis through analysis. With Welker in doubt we need a vet who can read a D or a rookie who knows the system. Tate has the production and the system under his belt.

I don't expect Tate to still be on the board. :(

Could you please show me where Weis used Bill Belichick's offense at Notre Dame? I keep hearing people mention that Tate knows the offense, but I never seen anything that says that Weis installed the same offense he used with the Pats.

Stud: Marcus Easley WR Connecticut 6-2 216, 4.40

Rich Gunnell - BC ...... you can't argue with consistent production and this guy does it......may not be a world beater, but runs routes, makes catches and is pretty good on special teams......

one thing to remember.....any WR who is going to be a #3 or #4 or #5 needs to be in some way productive in special teams, also......bringing in guys

everything I've read about easley makes no mention of special teams.......this guy smells like a workout warrior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore