PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why was Brady so off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My buddy speculated that something big happened behind the scenes that we'll be hearing about later. But that's just pure speculation. I'm really not too sure to be honest. Only Brady and the coaching staff know why. But it wasn't only Brady. There were only a handful of players that showed up today and the coaching staff completely took the day off.

Thats exactly what a friend of mine is saying - something is up behind the scenes...well see.

I can't believe NO ONE ELSE considered this.

Brady was sick, no doubt about it. D&C even asked him about it "You looked like you had red, watery eyes, dressed to the max, and you were seen sniffing an ammonia capsule. If you had the flu, would you say?"

His response? "I didn’t have the flu. I felt fine. I’ve been dressing warmer as the season’s gone on. I felt fine."

Yeah right. When was the last time you saw Brady wearing full body under armor? In a relatively mild 30 degrees day no less. No way Brady will ever admit it though, not after a loss. Just because he was able to play lights out with a fever once doesn't mean he can do it all the time.

When I saw Brady's post game presser I thought he looked ill. I chalked it up to being dejected from the loss. Now that the Flu has been mentioned I think there could be something to this. Fyi, I wouldn't expect Brady to come out and say "I was sick". Just not his style to come out after a loss and seem like he is whining and making excuses.

I doubt TB's bad game had anything to do with the flu.

I posted this in another thread but I'll put it here in case anyone wants to see it. It basically explains what the Jets did:

What I thought was the most telling part of Sunday's 28-21 win in Foxboro was watching Tom Brady stand in the pocket (when Shaun Ellis wasn't chasing him) and look at his options --1, 2, 3, 4 and maybe back to 1 -- and pat the ball, and then throw it away or dump it for a miniscule gain he didn't want. I have never seen Brady, at least for the first three-plus quarters, survey the field and take so much time and see so little open. It was stunning, really.

"Did you know,'' GM Mike Tannenbaum said this morning from New Jersey, "we dressed 11 defensive backs for this game? Eleven out of 45 players. That's pretty amazing.''

Let's count them. The Jets started in nickel. Eric Smith and Brodney Pool at safety, Darrelle Revis and Antonio Cromartie at corner, with Drew Coleman the extra corner. That's five. Three extra corners dressed: Kyle Wilson, Dwight Lowery and Marquice Cole. That's eight. Three extra safeties: James Ihedigbo and United Football League refugees Isaiah Trufant (the UFL defensive player of the year this season) and Emanuel Cook. They all played, combining for 36 tackles, and they contributed to clogging the lanes and forcing Brady to pat, pat, pat and throw gopher balls.

It was no secret that Ryan felt the Jets lost the AFC title game last year because of poor depth in the secondary, particularly at corner. It didn't take him long to lobby for help -- just 24 hours. On the day after the season, he and Tannenbaum were standing at the baggage carousel in Mobile, Ala., waiting for their luggage; they were in town to scout players for the draft at the annual Senior Bowl. "If we're going to beat Indianapolis and New England,'' Ryan told Tannenbaum, "we're going to need more speed and athleticism. It's that simple. If we don't have more speed and athleticism, all the other stuff won't matter.''

"Mike took it on himself,'' Ryan said Sunday night. "He went and got us what we needed.'' Cromartie, a risk, in exchange for a second-round pick from San Diego; and Kyle Wilson in the first round of the draft.

"We got help from players too. Jimmy Leonhard [a starting safety now on injured-reserve] even came up with a concept we used tonight involving quarters coverage and a little wrinkle we used. I really leaned on [coordinator] Mike Pettine and [secondary coach] Dennis Thurman to get it all straight. We kept mixing 'em all day. Sometimes we'd play standard stuff, then we'd change up. We probably were more multiple than they'd seen, by anybody.''

The Jets seemed content to put Revis and Cromartie out wide, mostly in single coverage all day, and Deion Branch and Brandon Tate didn't do much against them until semi-garbage time. They didn't blitz much, preferring to bring a safety down to stop the Patriots from doing what they do so well -- get Welker or one of the rookie tight ends the ball on a quick route of some kind, then make a bunch of yards after the catch.

...The Patriots kill teams with the catch-and-run plays, and if Brady couldn't get the ball to the good after-the-catch guys, or if they got felled immediately by the omnipresent Eric Smith down near the box, that way of moving the ball down the field all of a sudden won't work. Those 11 defensive backs just made the picture cloudy for Brady underneath all day.

Rex Ryan explains Jets win, Aaron Rodgers, Jay Cutler, more - Peter King - SI.com

Last edited:
So will Belichick have any great Epiphany like that this offseason and make some effective change to the team for the better? I wouldn't bet on it

This is what has happened constantly under BB/BoB/Brady the last 3 years, we kill mediocre teams with one style (shotgun/draw, now 2TE's) that it becomes so predictable good defenses will work it out when it counts

We need to start mixing it up, get a valid 2nd X/Y reciever (i.e. not Tate) and do things a defense isnt expecting. Go 5 wide, put the young TE's out wide and the small guys underneath, throw a consistent deep ball, use a FB

It isnt rocket science, just use more plays in your playbook, and do that when it counts

Next year too i'd like to see Brady scramble more, he's big enough and if there's nothing on and ten yards or the EZ in front of you then take off, he takes more punishment on the constant sneaks he does

I'd also like to see us experiment more in games when were blowing teams out, open up that playbook to run some of those other plays

We have the personnel to do all this, just needs creative play calling

God alone knows what Weis could do with this offense

Why was Brady off?....Because there was no plan B. Because he and the team weren't prepared. Its been like this for a few years now, the super bowl 07, last year, and this year. I blame BOB and Bill Belichick, not Brady and the team. When things started going south there was no alternate plan, and the coaching staff didn't come up with one during the game. This team has been out coached in its last Three playoff apperances.

Give the Jets credit for making Brady uncomfortable which is key to beating him. Hit him a couple of times and he gets rattled quite easily. The last three playoff loses have shown that he can get rattled early and affect him throughout the game if you hit him. It hasn't always been like this, but it's something that we've all noticed since the SB years.

Another key to what the Jets did yesterday and what Cleveland did this year was to flood the short/intermediate areas in the middle of the field with coverage. This is where Brady lives and feasts off of. That's why he held the ball and panicked when he saw too many cover guys where he wanted to throw to. Brady is not good at throwing those deep outs and post patterns and with Cromartie and Revis pressing our outside guys, Brady just didn't get into his comfort zone. I blame our coaching staff for this. They should have known this was a possible gameplan the Jets would use. But also, Brady, being the highest paid player in history of the NFL, needs to work on his deep throws as well. He had Tate a few times but only threw it to him once.

The defense, while playing decent also needs to be addressed. I don't know if it's the lack of playmakers or the scheme, but the stark contrast between us vs the Jets defense was quite obvious. The Jets were making plays all game long. They're blitzes were effective, and played zone/man at the right time. (When we played 'zone' and Cotchery took off and had that huge gain the fourth quarter after it seemed like we had the momentum after our TD was HUGE. Sanders got completely exposed there. He was on top of that coverage and instead of coming up and making a tackle to minimize the gain, he started running back immediately after Cotchery made the catch. The guys is a liability out there.) Also the lack of emotional leaders we have on defense is startling. We don't have a fiery guy that can get everybody to the next level. We were blessed with Harrison, McGinest, Bruschi, and Milloy before, but now, even as great a leader Vince is, he just doesn't get into anyone's face. Football is a physical and emotional game. If you're not into it emotionally, you're going to play 'flat' and probably lose you're one-on-one battles against an evenly matched opponent who is emotionally charged up.

After everything's said and done, I think we can all safely say that the early SB run we had when we went 10-0 in the playoffs was truly something special and magical. We all felt we were unbeatable in the playoffs and because of that, now that we've failed in the playoffs the past 5 times we've been in it, we try too hard to make excuses for these guys. I made excuses for them up until this year. We had a great team that looked poised to make a run. This game was a wakeup call. And the alarm I heard was simply, "we're just like any other contending teams."

Why was Brady off?....Because there was no plan B. Because he and the team weren't prepared. Its been like this for a few years now, the super bowl 07, last year, and this year. I blame BOB and Bill Belichick, not Brady and the team. When things started going south there was no alternate plan, and the coaching staff didn't come up with one during the game. This team has been out coached in its last Three playoff apperances.

Agree about the lack of adjustments but Brady does not get a free ride. There was no fire, no leadership, no passion, no urgency from Brady.
NONE!
What's disturbing about Brady is he's turning into Peyton Manning when things don't go well in the playoffs. Head down, pouting etc.
Problem is while that is Manning's personality and has been his whole life that's NOT Tom Brady. So when Brady acts this way it's out of character for him.
NOT GOOD!
Your telling me Tom Brady can't demand they go no huddle spread offense in the 4th qtr? They made ZERO attempts to change things up to get themselves going. That is on Tom Brady all the way.

I'm not sure I agree, Reflex. I think they had a Plan B, but as the game evolved they just didn't have confidence in implementing it (see the 7:54 min drive where they ran the ball).

I'm not sure I agree, Reflex. I think they had a Plan B, but as the game evolved they just didn't have confidence in implementing it (see the 7:54 min drive where they ran the ball).

Plan B should have started in the second qtr......

When you no longer have a vertical threat (which would have been part of the adjustment plan to back the safeties up), then what did you want BOB to do?

This team needs a tall, physical, play-making WR like you read about.

Plan B should have started in the second qtr......

Exactly. I was hoping that we turn the switch on during the halftime, similar to how the Steelers did.

Still chortling with despair considering that we had so much time to prepare and so much trash thrown @ us and yet...

LadyT getting his wish. Man...no more football for me for the next nine months.
:mad:

The lack of execution from key veterans, Brady and Crumpler, on the first two Patriots drives opened the door for the Jets. Brady's horrid interception and then Crumpler's drop made a 14-0 potential blow-out, instead a 3-0 dog fight. The pressure was off the Jets and they gained confidence, while the Patriots seemingly lost confidence and starting playing tight.

The Patriots had opened the door for the Jets and they took full advantage and ripped through it with solid execution and a game plan that the Patriots never adjusted to. After the first two Patriots drives, the Jets were the ones that played with poise, as if they were playoff champions, while the Patriots looked as if they were regular season light weights wilting under playoff pressure.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Pats and cannot wait now for the draft and next season, but the veteran mistakes in the first two drives are what haunt me the most from that nightmare.

Ron Jaworski provides a devastating critic of Brady's play against the Jets.
Jaworski: Brady missed opportunities - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

For example:
"I’m going to be honest with you guys,” Jaworski said. “I went through the tape and there were some plays on the field that Tom Brady did not see. I think Tom began to play a little bit fast, and the term I use, he began to see ghosts."

“I just felt that at times he had those opportunities and he kind of flinched. There was a perception of pressure, and at times it wasn’t there. It was awkward to me to see Tom reacting that way. When bodies weren’t around him, he was perceiving pressure."

Among some other observations by Jaworski:

* He saw some similarities in the Jets’ strategy to the famous defensive game plan Bill Belichick devised to stop the “Greatest Show On Turf” St. Louis Rams in Super Bowl XXXVI.

Brady hasn't had a great playoff game since the 2007-2008 divisional game against the Jaguars.

The lack of execution from key veterans, Brady and Crumpler, on the first two Patriots drives opened the door for the Jets. Brady's horrid interception and then Crumpler's drop made a 14-0 potential blow-out, instead a 3-0 dog fight. The pressure was off the Jets and they gained confidence, while the Patriots seemingly lost confidence and starting playing tight.

The Patriots had opened the door for the Jets and they took full advantage and ripped through it with solid execution and a game plan that the Patriots never adjusted to. After the first two Patriots drives, the Jets were the ones that played with poise, as if they were playoff champions, while the Patriots looked as if they were regular season light weights wilting under playoff pressure.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Pats and cannot wait now for the draft and next season, but the veteran mistakes in the first two drives are what haunt me the most from that nightmare.

yeah this... It is disturbing.. Brady looked off.. The defense.. well they were ok.. Special teams was bad.. Bad play calling.. Bad adjustments by the coaches.. Poor execution by are players.

1.) Brady's int.
2.) Crumps drop
3.) Fake punt call (desperation in a 7-3 ball game when you will be getting the ball first in the 2nd half) WTF!
4.) going for 2 in the 3rd quarter... I know it worked but really?
5.) Play calling especially the clock killing drive in the 4th quarter when your down 2 scores.

Woulda Shoulda Coulda.. but we did blow this game.. The Jets had no buisness winning this game.. and they will be exposed against the Steelers in the AFC title match.. The Jets NEED to run the ball but they wont be able too.. The Steelers are much more balanced and will eventually put enough points up to win... Unless they do what we did.. Bad game managment.. Bad execution.. And turn overs. I am really getting sick and tired of are team not showing up when it counts.. Going back to the Chargers Playoff game in 07 we have played like **** ever since.

yeah this... It is disturbing.. Brady looked off.. The defense.. well they were ok.. Special teams was bad.. Bad play calling.. Bad adjustments by the coaches.. Poor execution by are players.

1.) Brady's int.
2.) Crumps drop
3.) Fake punt call (desperation in a 7-3 ball game when you will be getting the ball first in the 2nd half) WTF!
4.) going for 2 in the 3rd quarter... I know it worked but really?
5.) Play calling especially the clock killing drive in the 4th quarter when your down 2 scores.

Woulda Shoulda Coulda.. but we did blow this game.. The Jets had no buisness winning this game.. and they will be exposed against the Steelers in the AFC title match.. The Jets NEED to run the ball but they wont be able too.. The Steelers are much more balanced and will eventually put enough points up to win... Unless they do what we did.. Bad game managment.. Bad execution.. And turn overs. I am really getting sick and tired of are team not showing up when it counts.. Going back to the Chargers Playoff game in 07 we have played like **** ever since.
no

This loss was mainly because of lack of balance. The pats should have ran the ball on that first drive because the defense the jets played were weak to it.

Thats exactly what a friend of mine is saying - something is up behind the scenes...well see.

I agree with Jaworski's take.

The bottom line is the game was lost b/c Brady absolutely sucked. Forget Crumpler's drop (like that NEVER happens in the NFL :rolleyes:), forget Chung's mistake--same thing, forget the Jets having the better gameplan--Sanchez sucked, they weren't gashing us on the ground and our D stepped up AGAIN and did their job for the most part. Vince was on the sideline at the end with this expression like "damn what more can we do--it's on the O to do something now."

To me there are only three plausible explanations for the steaming pile that Brady left on the field on Sunday:

1. He was sick as a dog
2. The Welker benching and maybe other behind the scenes stuff had him pissed and distracted.
3. Someone from the Gambino family had a little talk with him last week (and I'm only half kidding).

No way in hell that after SB42 and the loss to the Ravens last year, that Brady simply doesn't show up for another big game without there being a major reason behind it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes