PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why was Brady so off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
History is filled with examples of an underdog daring the goliath to run the ball, and winning because the goliath refuses to take what is being given.

'90 Giants-Bills. '01 Pats-Rams. '07 Pats-Giants. '10 Pats-Jets.

There was no need for a Plan B. They shouldn't have been stubborn to any plan and realized the Jets only dressed 4 defensive linemen TOTAL. BJGE averaged 5.8 yards per carry but only ran it 9 times all game, only touched the ball 4 total times in the 1st half...

I agree with Jaworski's take.

The bottom line is the game was lost b/c Brady absolutely sucked. Forget Crumpler's drop (like that NEVER happens in the NFL :rolleyes:), forget Chung's mistake--same thing, forget the Jets having the better gameplan--Sanchez sucked, they weren't gashing us on the ground and our D stepped up AGAIN and did their job for the most part. Vince was on the sideline at the end with this expression like "damn what more can we do--it's on the O to do something now."

To me there are only three plausible explanations for the steaming pile that Brady left on the field on Sunday:

1. He was sick as a dog
2. The Welker benching and maybe other behind the scenes stuff had him pissed and distracted.
3. Someone from the Gambino family had a little talk with him last week (and I'm only half kidding).

No way in hell that after SB42 and the loss to the Ravens last year, that Brady simply doesn't show up for another big game without there being a major reason behind it.

Do you actually mean what I think you mean ;)

To me there are only three plausible explanations for the steaming pile that Brady left on the field on Sunday:

1. He was sick as a dog
2. The Welker benching and maybe other behind the scenes stuff had him pissed and distracted.
3. Someone from the Gambino family had a little talk with him last week (and I'm only half kidding).

No way in hell that after SB42 and the loss to the Ravens last year, that Brady simply doesn't show up for another big game without there being a major reason behind it.

Add #4
The Patriots allowed themselves to make the offense all about Brady rather than all about getting 10 yds a series by any means necessary.
The Jets were begging, goading, challenging Brady and the Pats to throw the ball into their swarm of DB's and he did ....FORTY FIVE TIMES.
Brady wasn't sick.
Welker's 5 minute benching had NOTHING TO DO WITH ANYTHING
Bill Belichick and Tom Brady allowed the Jets to trash talk their way into the Patriots gameplan.
Sad but true!
The Patriots 1,000 yd rusher touched the ball four times in the 1st half. 9 for the entire game.
Was getting about 5 yds a carry. Only 4 touches in an offense that did nothing in the 1st half.
Ridiculous!!!
The match-up nightmare 6' 6" Gronk was never exploited. Threw to him 6 times.....out of 45.
WR fast TE Hernandez was thrown to once.
Stop making excuses for Tom Brady.
He hasn't been playoff good for several years now.
Ever since this team became Bradycentric they haven't won a thing.

Last edited:
Nest to Cleveland and the Jest away that was TB's worst performance of the season by a long way, missed receivers, bad decisions, clock management, holding on to the ball far too long

Was it just a bad game, poor play calling, poor separation by the WR's, great jets coverage. All the above?
I disagree with the premise.
When there are no open receivers it isnt the QBs fault.
Any QB not named Brady would have come out of that game with praise, the tough Jets defense wouldn't let anyone get open, and the QB kept fighting and kept the team in the game until the defense allowed a 70 yard run and catch and the special teams couldn't get an onside kick.
Its all relative. Brady is expected to be perfect, basically he should have to block for himself, call all the plays, run the routes and get open and catch the passes, because when any of those things go wrong, people around here question Brady.

Any QB not named Brady would have come out of that game with praise, the tough Jets defense wouldn't let anyone get open, and the QB kept fighting and kept the team in the game until the defense allowed a 70 yard run and catch and the special teams couldn't get an onside kick.
Its all relative. Brady is expected to be perfect, basically he should have to block for himself, call all the plays, run the routes and get open and catch the passes, because when any of those things go wrong, people around here question Brady.

Ron Jaworski was on WEEI today after watching the coaches film and he basically said that Brady had open receivers that he didn't throw to for whatever reason - perhaps the pass rush flustering him, not trusing the line, etc.

Here's the link: Jaworski on Big Show: 'Poor game' for Brady

My question?

Why does Brady go down so easily? The guy is average when he has to vacate the pocket.

That may be the only aspect that Sanchez has on Brady.

My question?

Why does Brady go down so easily? The guy is average when he has to vacate the pocket.

That may be the only aspect that Sanchez has on Brady.

Have you watched patriots games?

Defenders love hitting brady, some would the shots he takes dirty

Add #4
The Patriots allowed themselves to make the offense all about Brady rather than all about getting 10 yds a series by any means necessary.
The Jets were begging, goading, challenging Brady and the Pats to throw the ball into their swarm of DB's and he did ....FORTY FIVE TIMES.
Brady wasn't sick.
Welker's 5 minute benching had NOTHING TO DO WITH ANYTHING
Bill Belichick and Tom Brady allowed the Jets to trash talk their way into the Patriots gameplan.
Sad but true!
The Patriots 1,000 yd rusher touched the ball four times in the 1st half. 9 for the entire game.
Was getting about 5 yds a carry. Only 4 touches in an offense that did nothing in the 1st half.
Ridiculous!!!
The match-up nightmare 6' 6" Gronk was never exploited. Threw to him 6 times.....out of 45.
WR fast TE Hernandez was thrown to once.
Stop making excuses for Tom Brady.
He hasn't been playoff good for several years now.
Ever since this team became Bradycentric they haven't won a thing.

I think they have, and routinely dominating in the process--just not the big one. I think Weiss and Josh may have had a bigger impact in making Brady what he is and taking some heat off him than some of us are willing to acknowledge, especially in games when the chips were down and everything seemed to be going wrong.

Anyway, not really making excuses for him as just trying to understand HOW, how, how, for the love of God, does a guy like Brady lead his team on a 14-2 run, while regularly going ballistic on the sidelines during big games to elevate his offense because he wants to win so much, come out there last Sun. with that CRAP robot sh!t in the biggest game of the season?

Takes 11 pieces to make it work, but how does he choose that particular moment to go timid and sulky and show no leadership. :confused:

I think they have, and routinely dominating in the process--just not the big one. I think Weiss and Josh may have had a bigger impact in making Brady what he is and taking some heat off him than some of us are willing to acknowledge, especially in games when the chips were down and everything seemed to be going wrong.

Anyway, not really making excuses for him as just trying to understand HOW, how, how, for the love of God, does a guy like Brady lead his team on a 14-2 run, while regularly going ballistic on the sidelines during big games to elevate his offense because he wants to win so much, come out there last Sun. with that CRAP robot sh!t in the biggest game of the season?

Takes 11 pieces to make it work, but how does he choose that particular moment to go timid and sulky and show no leadership. :confused:
Were you on the sidelines?
This is one of the biggest complaints I have about this board.
Every time it isnt easy for the Patriots people imply they were flat or sulky or some crap like that. You can't say that players arent into when they have a rough day when your gauge of them being into it is how they celebrate the success when they are destroying a team.

Do you actually mean what I think you mean ;)

If that's what I think you mean, then yes. ;) :eek:

Brady was playing scared and I doubt it was because of Bart Scott or Antonio Cromartie. Something was way wrong with him Sunday and anyone who can't see it is blind.

If that's what I think you mean, then yes. ;) :eek:

Brady was playing scared and I doubt it was because of Bart Scott or Antonio Cromartie. Something was way wrong with him Sunday and anyone who can't see it is blind.
What was wrong was after 2 months of having his way and running an offense that may have had the most successful 8 game run in history, he went out on the field and couldn't find any open receivers.
I think what everyone saw was a QB with no one to throw to. If there was any indecision in there as well, it probably came from the fact that for 2 months he didnt need to do whatever comes next after everyone is covered.

What was wrong was after 2 months of having his way and running an offense that may have had the most successful 8 game run in history, he went out on the field and couldn't find any open receivers.
I think what everyone saw was a QB with no one to throw to. If there was any indecision in there as well, it probably came from the fact that for 2 months he didnt need to do whatever comes next after everyone is covered.

Good points, but the TFB I always saw was one who did not accept defeat, on any level--guy who would readily put a team on his shoulders, or at least try to. I saw none of that Sunday night--just a player who conceded defeat way too easily.

Maybe it was him that was making most of the wrong reads and thus had no right to get in any of his receivers' faces. Or in BOB's.

The one thing I'd really like to know is if BB or anyone else told him "under no circumstances will you take off and run with the ball" or whether it was just him. I understand that him not running is normally S.O.P., but at times that was probably the only way we could have countered what Rex was doing to us defensively.

Last edited:
Good points, but the TFB I always saw was one who did not accept defeat, on any level--guy who would readily put a team on his shoulders, or at least try to. I saw none of that Sunday night--just a player who conceded defeat way too easily.

Maybe it was him that was making most of the wrong reads and thus had no right to get in any of his receivers' faces. Or in BOB's.

The one thing I'd really like to know is if BB or anyone else told him "under no circumstances will you take off and run with the ball" or whether it was just him. That was probably the only way he could have countered what the Jets D was doing to him.

We are going to win by Brady running the ball now? I've heard everything.:rolleyes:

We are going to win by Brady running the ball now? I've heard everything.:rolleyes:

I'm assuming you watched the game. :rolleyes: There were plenty of instances where running was the only damn thing he could have done, and it would have worked.

Ray, it's unbelievable for anyone to suggest that because Brady is one of the least mobile QB's in the league, that him running the ball could never be the best course of action in a given situation. He had 20 yard lanes open regularly. Once Ryan new for sure that Brady would not run under any circumstance, it made his job that much easier.

I recalled being struck with young Brady's incredible poise and cool manner when he first burst on the scene. There was a confidence and calmness about him as he moved around making play as opposed to Drew's clumsiness and jitters.

Hard to imagine it is the same Brady. I guessed all the hitting eventually take its toll on any QB. Hearing footsteps, seeing ghosts?

I recalled being struck with young Brady's incredible poise and cool manner when he first burst on the scene. There was a confidence and calmness about him as he moved around making play as opposed to Drew's clumsiness and jitters.

Hard to imagine it is the same Brady. I guessed all the hitting eventually take its toll on any QB. Hearing footsteps, seeing ghosts?

All game he was standing in the pocket looking at his covered receivers and eventually taking hits....he still had pretty good presence in the pocket, ducking and moving around but he seemed to be eying one or two receivers. It seemed like he lost confidence in his receivers getting open and eyed his go to WR's (Welker & Branch) causing him to miss wide open receivers.

I'm assuming you watched the game. :rolleyes: There were plenty of instances where running was the only damn thing he could have done, and it would have worked.

Ray, it's unbelievable for anyone to suggest that because Brady is one of the least mobile QB's in the league, that him running the ball could never be the best course of action in a given situation. He had 20 yard lanes open regularly. Once Ryan new for sure that Brady would not run under any circumstance, it made his job that much easier.

You're picking a play here or there and saying brady running would have won the game. It's like saying BJ running would have won the game.

All you're doing is finding something that didn't happen and concluding it would have saved the day if it did. Maybe Brady gets one first down by running. maybe he gets his knee ripped apart again. He has no speed and those little defensive backs could certainly take him down quite easily.

If he was Michael Vick, he should have run a lot. He isn't. If BJ was Adrian Peterson, he would have clowned Rex Ryan's DB on the line defense for 20-40 yard runs and forced him to change. He isn't.

Brady is still Brady and he has a bunch of receivers. the best chance to score some points is to come up with something to get someone open and have them actually catch it. Then you mix in the 3-6 yard runs or other plays and get some points.

To my mind, the best thing not to do is what the opposition wants you to. Obviously, Rex was fine with us trying to run the ball. That would be his preference.

If you told fatso we intended to win the game by utilizing the running of Tom Brady, he'd probably smile like he'd just seen a fine pair of tootsies.

Let's be serious here.

all the greatest QB's have had horrible playoff performances

Montana had 3 1 and dones with 0 tds 4 ints, it was so bad they decided to pit young against him(resulting in 2 more super bowls)

elway had 3tds and 8 ints in 5 super bowls(lol)

dan marino(lmao)

looking at the numbers of all the great QBs it's laughable for me to count Tom out
for years to come.

Welker confessed they had prepared for man to man not zone(sounds rediculous that they didn't prepare for this but "it is what it is"). Also I'm assuming because the jets new they would be playing NE if they beat Indy, Rex may have had his brother or staff prepare ideas and game plans for the match-up.

Here was a little breakdown people may have seen,link below
NFL Videos: Playbook: Gang Green beats New England

Tom was a bit off but his receiving core was also having a dreadful time getting open. Great game plan by the jets (bump and run, flooding zones etc)looked like a BB knock off. I'm not sure how you'd play against that coverage, it always seems to get the best of offensive juggernauts.

Last edited:
all the greatest QB's have had horrible playoff performances

Montana had 3 1 and dones with 0 tds 4 ints, it was so dab they decided to pit young against him(resulting in 2 super bowls),

elway had 3tds and 8 ints in 5 super bowls(lol)

dan marino(lmao)

looking at the numbers of all the great QBs it's laughable for me to count Tom out
for years to come.

Welker confessed they had prepared for man to man not zone(sounds rediculous that they didn't prepare for this but "it is what it is"). Also I'm assuming because the jets new they would be playing NE if they beat Indy, Rex may have had his brother or staff prepare ideas and game plans for the match-up.

Here was a little breakdown people may have seen,link below
NFL Videos: Playbook: Gang Green beats New England

Tom was a bit off but his receiving core was also having a dreadful time getting open. Great game plan by the jets (bump and run, flooding zones etc)looked like a BB knock off. I'm not sure how you'd play against that coverage, it always seems to get the best of offensive juggernauts.

Nice post. We got outplayed that's really the whole story. Brady got hit and not to many open receivers that's not a great recipe for success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing