PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why was Brady so off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to Ron Jaworski, Brady just couldn't find the open receiver. There's a segment on Reiss' blog.

He actually moved the team down the field with ease the first two series (see report card thread) and scored a total of three points.

The jets wanted to run, we were short of linemen and the got a 7-23 lead. sometimes when you don't execute and allow the other team to dictate tempo, they will execute their game plan. Nobody's giving away playoff wins, you have to play better than the other team.

The jets, having got the lead, executed their pass defense through a good strategy and great coverage by the two corners and left us the option of running with a couple reliable, but not extraordinary backs, or trying to get the passing game back to the success of the first two series despite their overplay.

Brady completed 64% of his passes, and we gained 372 total yards to their 314.

People are just going to have to consider that we did not make the big plays when they counted and the jets did.

A game is (obviously) not just a set of statistics, or one person's "poor game."

Turnovers count, dropped passes at the goal line can kill you. Teams gain confidence and play with abandon when they can play their game and have a lead. The jets are much better when they run and keep the game close.

We get 10-14 points out of our first two drives, we'd be praising Brady for his 64% completion percentage and 299 yards passing.

People are just going to have to consider that we did not make the big plays when they counted and the jets did.

A game is (obviously) not just a set of statistics, or one person's "poor game."

Turnovers count, dropped passes at the goal line can kill you. Teams gain confidence and play with abandon when they can play their game and have a lead. The jets are much better when they run and keep the game close.

We get 10-14 points out of our first two drives, we'd be praising Brady for his 64% completion percentage and 299 yards passing.

Agreed, take the interception back and give Alge the TD and he's posting maybe a over 120 QB rating with 64%comp perc, 3tds, 0ints, 299yds
as oppose to 89.0.

They just didn't have an answer for the flooded zone coverage and the efficient jamming of receivers at the line of scrimmage. As I posted, Welker admitted they had prepared for man to man(doesn't sound like BB but welker wouldn't lie)

Agreed, take the interception back and give Alge the TD and he's posting maybe a over 120 QB rating with 64%comp perc, 3tds, 0ints, 299yds
as oppose to 89.0.

They just didn't have an answer for the flooded zone coverage and the efficient jamming of receivers at the line of scrimmage. As I posted, Welker admitted they had prepared for man to man(doesn't sound like BB but welker wouldn't lie)

Well, they were amazingly efficient in the first two drives, so whatever they didn't have an answer to, they did in those drives.

You simply can't let a defensive, grind it out team off the hook by scoring only 3 points in two long drives, then having them take the lead, so they can run the ball and loosen you up for their mediocre QB to make plays. We don't have 3 all pro linemen anymore, we have Wilfork, a decent vet and a bunch of low and no picks. Ryan knew that. Put up 10-14 and they can't run.

Ryan would love us to try to turn it into a grinder. Our run D is somewhat suspect, he'd much rather risk BJ and Woodhead going wild than Tom Brady (who had an awful 64% 299 yard game, remember?). We ended up with a futile 7 minute drive anyway, but we needed to find someone when Brady had time, they simply played great defense given the way we let them dictate the game after our mistakes.

that doesn't mean you can't recover from mistakes, but besides some running, you have to also find a way to play with what got you here. We had fine balance on those first two drives as I recorded in the report card thread. Sometimes there are no magic answers, someone just has to make a play despite the coverage, score and momentum being against you.

I disagree with the premise.
When there are no open receivers it isnt the QBs fault.
Any QB not named Brady would have come out of that game with praise, the tough Jets defense wouldn't let anyone get open, and the QB kept fighting and kept the team in the game until the defense allowed a 70 yard run and catch and the special teams couldn't get an onside kick.
Its all relative. Brady is expected to be perfect, basically he should have to block for himself, call all the plays, run the routes and get open and catch the passes, because when any of those things go wrong, people around here question Brady.

What I saw was the following, I may be wrong but it's my opinion

- Brady did have open receivers on several occasions (Tate a few times IIRC) but chose not to release
- He started locking on to Branch and Welker and went away from Gronk, Hernandez etc
-As soon as he took those shots early he got happy feet, looked rattled and jittery in the pocket
-At least 4 or 5 times he had a clear 10-15 yard lane in front of him to scarmble into when nothing was on - as a QB you have to make those scrambles/slides occasionally. Rex was playing LB's 15-20 yards deep in a 9 man zone coverage and must have been laughing
-His clock mgt in the 4th Q was astonishing

A lot of the issue was on the dreadful playcalling and failure to adjust the O game plan to what the Jets were doing but Brady laid an egg out there abd said so himself afterwards

I recalled being struck with young Brady's incredible poise and cool manner when he first burst on the scene. There was a confidence and calmness about him as he moved around making play as opposed to Drew's clumsiness and jitters.

Hard to imagine it is the same Brady. I guessed all the hitting eventually take its toll on any QB. Hearing footsteps, seeing ghosts?

it used to be when u see brady on the field in the playoff games, u can sense the confidence and determination vibrant that says "we are going to win this game", we just don't see it anymore this past few years playoff

not sure whether it's the hitting eventually taking its toll, problems with kids and giselle or what...looks to me that brady just can't wait to get over with the game and go home :bricks:

i hope tom will be back with more fire next season

I watched the game yesterday and can't believe what I saw. Brady was panicked and rushed after those first two series. Honestly, that team played like a bunch of rookies -all of them. From Brady to Welker.

I watched the game yesterday and can't believe what I saw. Brady was panicked and rushed after those first two series. Honestly, that team played like a bunch of rookies -all of them. From Brady to Welker.

I don't know whose fault it is OL,scheme yada yada yada, but have never seen Brady with such happy feet and jets were getting to him with a 3-4 man rush

Last edited:
Yeah, Brady looked like a QB who had time and all his receivers were covered, or bumped off stride.

Maybe that's because he was.

I'm sure, if we had some posters here playing, instead of one of the greatest QBs of all time, we would have found all those wide open receivers.:bricks:

Last edited:
I won't use the "C-word," but I think a few things happened:

On the first drive he was moving the team down the field with precision; I said to my wife, "20 point blowout coming." But:

1) He wasn't the same after the pick.

2) He got sacked and hit several times early.

IMO, he wasn't the same player after the early going.

Compounding that, after they settled down, the Jets D was taking away almost everything down field, so he was left with short passes that added up to a lot of yards, but not much else.

However you look at it from the early going on, Brady didn't/couldn't make a play when it had to be made.

Some will attribute it more to Brady and some will attribute it more to the Jets' D. I think it was both.

Last edited:
Good points, but the TFB I always saw was one who did not accept defeat, on any level--guy who would readily put a team on his shoulders, or at least try to. I saw none of that Sunday night--just a player who conceded defeat way too easily.

Maybe it was him that was making most of the wrong reads and thus had no right to get in any of his receivers' faces. Or in BOB's.

The one thing I'd really like to know is if BB or anyone else told him "under no circumstances will you take off and run with the ball" or whether it was just him. I understand that him not running is normally S.O.P., but at times that was probably the only way we could have countered what Rex was doing to us defensively.
Its totally ludicrous for you ton think you know whether Brady conceeded defeat. Thats foolish. Find a different way to rationalize the loss so you don't look so idiotic.

What I saw was the following, I may be wrong but it's my opinion

- Brady did have open receivers on several occasions (Tate a few times IIRC) but chose not to release
- He started locking on to Branch and Welker and went away from Gronk, Hernandez etc
-As soon as he took those shots early he got happy feet, looked rattled and jittery in the pocket
-At least 4 or 5 times he had a clear 10-15 yard lane in front of him to scarmble into when nothing was on - as a QB you have to make those scrambles/slides occasionally. Rex was playing LB's 15-20 yards deep in a 9 man zone coverage and must have been laughing
-His clock mgt in the 4th Q was astonishing

A lot of the issue was on the dreadful playcalling and failure to adjust the O game plan to what the Jets were doing but Brady laid an egg out there abd said so himself afterwards
Then I guess we disagree. Nothing in your post chaned my opinion about my post in the slightest, so I will just leave it at that,

Listen, the Pats are not built to play from behind and with any adversity. The first two drives looked great - methodical, efficient and confident. Then he threw a pick (great read by Jets) and the second one stalled, settling for a FG. The other series were just a cluster eff and everything fell apart from there. Personally, I blame the coaching staff for not making the needed adjustments and I blame the youth and lack of talent. JAGs making good are a great story - but let's be serious. They are called JAGS for a reason. Take a look at the Pats d-line and HELLO!!! Woodhead - nice little story, but who would you take? LT and Green or BJGE and Woodhead? Too many JAGS! Welker and Branch or Edwards and Holmes - who bail out Sanchez out of some sh*t throws....everything still seems high to me.

Ron Jaworski was on WEEI today after watching the coaches film and he basically said that Brady had open receivers that he didn't throw to for whatever reason - perhaps the pass rush flustering him, not trusing the line, etc.

Here's the link: Jaworski on Big Show: 'Poor game' for Brady

I saw this as well. There were definitely open receivers but Brady just for some reason didn't pull the trigger. And although the line did give up some legit sacks, quite a few of them was because Brady held on to the ball. And I too saw him ducking imaginary defenders. The guy was shook.

First of all, I'll say this again; Patriots fans don't really know what a bad quarterback performance looks like, as we haven't really seen one in several years. The number one job for the quarterback is to protect the football. After that, any big plays and above-average yardage per pass is a bonus. A bad quarterbacking performance is marked by frequent turnovers.

Brady is smart. He knows when the offense is not clicking. He knows when the defense has momentum and has them figured out. That's when you start to see him hesitating and making the lowest-risk throws possible. In a game like Sunday, it's easy for someone to look really bad in a game where the stakes were so high. Truth is, 90% of quarterbacks would have finished that game with 3 INTS; yes, they would have slung the ball for a few nice gains and highlight reel plays, but they wouldn't have won the game.

That said, the problem wasn't Brady's performance on on the field on Sunday, despite all of the media's obsession with him being "soft." Brady is not soft and was not soft. The problem was the preparation by the Patriots, with Brady included. After the game, Deion Branch said he expected the Jets to play man coverage. Really? So, in all their years as pros, the Patriots couldn't adjust to a zone coverage, and they've never seen anything like the defense they saw there? That's what's disappointing, because that is exactly why Belichick and Brady should give their teams the advantage. They've seen it all and should not be surprised by any type of defense.

The Patriots came down the field on the first two positions with some pretty great playcalling. They proved to the Jets that they can drive on them (although they didn't score) using a completely different gameplan from the 45-3 game. It was working to perfection. After that, they relied too much on overthinking the game and believing they needed to outfox the Jets in order to move the ball. Truth is, this was a very talented offense that should have scored 24+ points (let's be honest, they really scored 14) and moved the ball decently against any defensive formation. I chalk most of this up to a lack of preparation, lack of adjustments, and trying to be too smart in a game that would have been better suited to getting the ball to players in the flat and letting them win the quickness battles for consistent 6-8 yard gains.

One mildly interesting side note is that, over the last two years Brady's passer rating is lower against the Jets than the rest of the League (92.42 v. the Jets and a little over 103 against everybody else). Sanchez's passer rating over the last two years is higher against the Pats than the rest of the League (83.52 v. a bit under 70).

That said, the problem wasn't Brady's performance on on the field on Sunday, despite all of the media's obsession with him being "soft." Brady is not soft and was not soft. The problem was the preparation by the Patriots, with Brady included. After the game, Deion Branch said he expected the Jets to play man coverage. Really? So, in all their years as pros, the Patriots couldn't adjust to a zone coverage, and they've never seen anything like the defense they saw there? That's what's disappointing, because that is exactly why Belichick and Brady should give their teams the advantage. They've seen it all and should not be surprised by any type of defense.

Belichick used to be the master of adjustments at half time-what has happened? Also, did Green Bay play zone against us? forgive my bad memory. One more question-How come our defense wasn't great like Green Bay's under Capers? I know it comes down to personnel, but I don't remember our defense being anything special when he was here.

First of all, I'll say this again; Patriots fans don't really know what a bad quarterback performance looks like, as we haven't really seen one in several years. The number one job for the quarterback is to protect the football. After that, any big plays and above-average yardage per pass is a bonus. A bad quarterbacking performance is marked by frequent turnovers.

Brady is smart. He knows when the offense is not clicking. He knows when the defense has momentum and has them figured out. That's when you start to see him hesitating and making the lowest-risk throws possible. In a game like Sunday, it's easy for someone to look really bad in a game where the stakes were so high. Truth is, 90% of quarterbacks would have finished that game with 3 INTS; yes, they would have slung the ball for a few nice gains and highlight reel plays, but they wouldn't have won the game.

The Patriots came down the field on the first two positions with some pretty great playcalling. They proved to the Jets that they can drive on them (although they didn't score) using a completely different gameplan from the 45-3 game. It was working to perfection. After that, they relied too much on overthinking the game and believing they needed to outfox the Jets in order to move the ball. Truth is, this was a very talented offense that should have scored 24+ points (let's be honest, they really scored 14) and moved the ball decently against any defensive formation. I chalk most of this up to a lack of preparation, lack of adjustments, and trying to be too smart in a game that would have been better suited to getting the ball to players in the flat and letting them win the quickness battles for consistent 6-8 yard gains.

good post, I posted welkers comments earlier, same as deions. not being prepared for all the zone coverage, huge problem. It was similar to BB's SB 36 defensive gameplan, dropping 8 men into zone coverage, jamming recievers, letting Revis and Cromartie cover the outside.

looks like a tuff gameplan to combat on the fly. What adjustments would have helped?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back