PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why the F#$# Not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have to stop comparing Cassel to Brady and the situation in 2001

Do you guys understand that QBs as dominant as Brady and P. Manning in today's league are so rare that they really only come around about once in about 10 years?

Just stop comparing what Brady did to what you think Cassel will duplicate

If you are lucky Cassel will manage his position just good enough to avoid messing up and let the other vets take over the productivity of the offense

IMO Cassel will NOT be the guy that puts this team on his back like Brady did in 2001 so please stop with the ridiculous comparisons - Tom became a leader of the team overnight,Cassel will likely mix in

Brady is Brady and is one of those special players that are as rare as uncooked steak and was good almost immediately in his first game and then on especially remembering the pasting of the Colts in his third game as starting QB - Brady you just know was born with this talent of playing in the pros - Cassel was fortunate enough to be given a shot to eventually start after being #2 so long.

IMO Cassel is an average joe and will remain an average joe who just needs to not fu(k up and let the players around him make him look good,thats all.

Cassel is more of a Tavaris Jackson or maybe a Jon Kitna type if you want to compare him as a starting QB this year,those 2 guys are guys with limited ability and needs a surrounding cast to win since you cannot put the ball in their hands in critical times to trust them to carry the team.

If this team does succeed this year it will be because the team played around the replacement QB and just avoided putting Cassel into a position of having to win games practically on his own like Brady did so many times.

If Cassel is put into position of winning games like if the team is trailing by 14 points I see no real hope in those situations,This team this year if they are behind on the scoreboard in order to win games must at least stay close for 3quarters to have a shot - There will be no major comebacks if the team trails by large margins any time this year.

This is my opinion and like I had said before if this team starts losing, the lovefest for Cassel will drop quicker than an anchor off the roof of the Sears Tower and the demand for an available JAG QB will be all over the forum.

If you expect Cassel to carry the load like Brady did in his first season, I can assure you the team is home for the playoffs - Cassel is not ready or talented enough at this point to do what Tom did back then

Dreaming is free though and more power to your 'positive' approach to this tragic situation.

Some people dream in color and some black and white. Then again, you're telling people to stop comparing, and then make your own comparison 5 lines later.

:rolleyes:

You truly need to stop with this sh!t

As soon as Casell starts holding the ball too long - as he always does since he has no pocket presense
(unless you go back to his high school days :rolleyes:) as soon as you see the pick sixes and as soon as you see his fear in a big play,as soon as you realize the team cannot afford to trail by 2 scores or more then maybe you will start to believe the team will need to look elsewhere and I think Matt will NOT be the QB by week 14 - It will be a desperate move for a JAG or even the kid O'Connell.

Look at Cassel's face next time when facing a blitz - He looks ready to jump ship and his eyes resemble a deer's eyes in headlights - take a good look at them when its 3rd and 13 - fear is not something you fake at that point.

This is NOT 2001
Cassel is NOT Brady from 2001 or will he be better than Tom was (Tom had David Patten as a starting WR - not exactly what Cassel has now and still I think he will fail)

Its BBs team and BB makes the decisions- not me,you or any keyboard professor here but I think this move will be a bad one,maybe not now but when the playoff push comes to shove,if the team stays into the race by then.

If Matt manages this game and does not throw many long passes and the running game is doing good then the offense can still flourish

I would be willing to bet the offense does not generate more than 28 points in any game this season,that means the defense needs to gel well..and quickly

And you are wrong about me thinking if Brady has a bad game that I think anything but the opposing defense just
had a great game plan - Manning had a lousy game on Sunday but the Bears brought the kitchen sink with their defense,Next week Manning will probably add another 350 yards passing on his resume,one bad game will mean nothing.

I for one, agree with you....I have seen enough of Cassel in 3+ years to know that he has very SLOW reaction time....has happy feet way too often.....locks onto A receiver.....and makes poor overall decisions.......Now since BB is the greatest coach in the history of the game of football......He may have been telling Cassel "Hey don't show too much out there OK? Make them think you have alot of negative skills and let those defenses salivate over getting a chance to play against you should something ever happen to Tom"....

Matt C........NEVER moved the ball well (if at all) this preseason......He looked HORRIBLE....and since everyone thought he was in a competition for the backup job at QB....many of us thought he was an obvious CUT.......Now, everyone is looking past all of his deficiencies/negatives (as noted above) and thinking he is going to somehow overnight.....become a GOOD QB overnight.........NOW, he doesn't have to be Tom Brady....which he GETS.....He knows that he will never be that good......BUT.....He CAN NOT make alot of mistakes.....and this is where I see trouble coming......He will be running basically our 2001 offense this year (IF McDaniel is smart....which is questionable).....Dinks and dunks and handoffs......hopefully the "Charlie Weis" mentality offense can keep us rolling......IF they ask Cassel to do MORE than thatbig problems and alot of turnovers.....I wish him the BEST and hope I am completely wrong about him...GO PATS!!!!!!...AND go cASSEL

I wish I could have seen what kind of play it would have been on third and eleven from the one if Cassell hadn't been scared for his life. Maybe it would have gone for a TD instead of just fifty yards.

IT WAS ONE PLAY...lets not forget that...but i give him credit for coming in adequately during that game.............But, Since he could,t move the ball from our own 45 during the preseason..........forgive me if I'm a little nervous about his consistency factor....

I for one, agree with you....I have seen enough of Cassel in 3+ years to know that he has very SLOW reaction time....has happy feet way too often.....locks onto A receiver.....and makes poor overall decisions.......Now since BB is the greatest coach in the history of the game of football......He may have been telling Cassel "Hey don't show too much out there OK? Make them think you have alot of negative skills and let those defenses salivate over getting a chance to play against you should something ever happen to Tom"....

Matt C........NEVER moved the ball well (if at all) this preseason......He looked HORRIBLE....and since everyone thought he was in a competition for the backup job at QB....many of us thought he was an obvious CUT.......Now, everyone is looking past all of his deficiencies/negatives (as noted above) and thinking he is going to somehow overnight.....become a GOOD QB overnight.........NOW, he doesn't have to be Tom Brady....which he GETS.....He knows that he will never be that good......BUT.....He CAN NOT make alot of mistakes.....and this is where I see trouble coming......He will be running basically our 2001 offense this year (IF McDaniel is smart....which is questionable).....Dinks and dunks and handoffs......hopefully the "Charlie Weis" mentality offense can keep us rolling......IF they ask Cassel to do MORE than thatbig problems and alot of turnovers.....I wish him the BEST and hope I am completely wrong about him...GO PATS!!!!!!...AND go cASSEL

You do realize that the only thing you have seen in those 3 1/2 years out of Cassel that was in any kind of a meaningful situation was his leading the Patriots to a win and putting up strong numbers last Sunday right?

I dont get how ANYONE can pretend that they have seen enough of Matt Cassel to predict what he is going to do, unless it is one of the coaches that has coached him in 3 1/2 years of practice.
What is all of this stuff that you have 'seen enough of' to be 100% convinced what he will play like?
I guarantee you that Eric Mangini will say he hasnt seen enough of Cassel to know what to expect, but he's only an NFL HC, he might be a little slower deciding a players fate than stcjones.

I love the title of this thread. Seriously. Why the eff not!

All I know is that BB has not been wrong about much and is generally extremely well prepared so he must see something in this guy and for me that is enough for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes