PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why the F#$# Not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom Brady has now,back then in 2001 and into the future will have more talent in his little toe than Matt Cassel will EVER have in his whole body.

Matt is along for the ride as someone said and not going to be leading this offense into the promised land - Matt needs to just stand behind center,do the little dink and dunk stuff by throwing those quick 5 yard outs and hope Maroney can not drop liike a sack of potatoes upon an initial hit this year and maybe,just maybe the offense can generate enough points to win 10 games.

Anyone who thinks this team can still win 12 games is not only insulting the greatest QB of all times in Brady who himself as starter would probably win 12 this year but truly you will need a good slap or butt whippin to knock some sense into you.

If this team can get to the playoffs you can probably give the credit to the defense all season or the RBs but hardly will it be Cassel who like I said is just along for the ride.

Without Moss, Cassel would still probably be 0-19 on TDs scored in 2008 from preseason and in week 1 - He can't rely on Moss pulling his arse out of the fire every week,Moss will be contained by good corners in due time.

Last edited:
Tom Brady has now,back then in 2001 and into the future will have more talent in his little toe than Matt Cassel will EVER have in his whole body.

Matt is along for the ride as someone said and not going to be leading this offense into the promised land - Matt needs to just stand behind center,do the little dink and dunk stuff by throwing those quick 5 yard outs and hope Maroney can not drop liike a sack of potatoes upon an initial hit this year and maybe,just maybe the offense can generate enough points to win 10 games.

Anyone who thinks this team can still win 12 games is not only insulting the greatest QB of all times in Brady who himself as starter would probably win 12this year but truly you will need a good slap or butt whippin to knock some sense into you.

If this team can get to the playoffs you can probably give the credit to the defense all season or the RBs but hardly will it be Cassel who like I said is just along for the ride.

You are probably one of those posters who think Brady having a bad game means he's "not himself" or "starting to suck".

Cassel is more capable to run this offense than Brady was in 2001, and this team overall is much better than the 2001 team. 12 Wins possibly? I say probable.

An easy schedule doesn't turn hard when your QB goes down, we still play the same "easy' teams. We just won't beat them by 40 :D

Cassel will be better then most people think, but not nearly on par with Tom. With the team around him, we have enough to do pretty well this year, however the weakness as I see it will not be Cassel, so much as Cassel/McDainiels.

Unless the offense is krafted to take advantage of the subtle nuances of his game, we could sputter. Weis helped Brady immensly in 2001.

Anyone who thinks this team can still win 12 games is not only insulting the greatest QB of all times in Brady who himself as starter would probably win 12 this year but truly you will need a good slap or butt whippin to knock some sense into you.

Without Moss, Cassel would still probably be 0-19 on TDs scored in 2008 from preseason and in week 1 - He can't rely on Moss pulling his arse out of the fire every week,Moss will be contained by good corners in due time.

geez...fellowship of the miserable

this team will surprise you. not going to argue about it, but I have faith in this entire organization and team.

You are probably one of those posters who think Brady having a bad game means he's "not himself" or "starting to suck".

Cassel is more capable to run this offense than Brady was in 2001, and this team overall is much better than the 2001 team. 12 Wins possibly? I say probable.

An easy schedule doesn't turn hard when your QB goes down, we still play the same "easy' teams. We just won't beat them by 40 :D

You truly need to stop with this sh!t

As soon as Casell starts holding the ball too long - as he always does since he has no pocket presense
(unless you go back to his high school days :rolleyes:) as soon as you see the pick sixes and as soon as you see his fear in a big play,as soon as you realize the team cannot afford to trail by 2 scores or more then maybe you will start to believe the team will need to look elsewhere and I think Matt will NOT be the QB by week 14 - It will be a desperate move for a JAG or even the kid O'Connell.

Look at Cassel's face next time when facing a blitz - He looks ready to jump ship and his eyes resemble a deer's eyes in headlights - take a good look at them when its 3rd and 13 - fear is not something you fake at that point.

This is NOT 2001
Cassel is NOT Brady from 2001 or will he be better than Tom was (Tom had David Patten as a starting WR - not exactly what Cassel has now and still I think he will fail)

Its BBs team and BB makes the decisions- not me,you or any keyboard professor here but I think this move will be a bad one,maybe not now but when the playoff push comes to shove,if the team stays into the race by then.

If Matt manages this game and does not throw many long passes and the running game is doing good then the offense can still flourish

I would be willing to bet the offense does not generate more than 28 points in any game this season,that means the defense needs to gel well..and quickly

And you are wrong about me thinking if Brady has a bad game that I think anything but the opposing defense just
had a great game plan - Manning had a lousy game on Sunday but the Bears brought the kitchen sink with their defense,Next week Manning will probably add another 350 yards passing on his resume,one bad game will mean nothing.

Last edited:
geez...fellowship of the miserable

this team will surprise you. not going to argue about it, but I have faith in this entire organization and team.

I may be miserable but I would rather be that then be one of you rah-rah guys that will be pulling your hair out if Cassel struggles in a several game span.

There are 2 islands in Patriots Nation - one of them is those who think Cassel is going to be Brady ala 2001 and the other island is for those who look like its up to the defense and RBs to get the job done cause faith in Cassel is pretty low

Don't get me wrong - Myself like millions of Patriots fans know this is Cassel's team at this point and we HAVE to stand behind him because we have no choice so we continue onto week 2 and hoping Cassel is not the goat in many of the upcoming games

Matt Cassel is definitely no Tom Brady, let's leave Brady out of this, it's an insult to him. However, I think Matt Cassel can take this team deep into the playoffs. Garrard almost beat the Pats last year in NE and hardly made any mistakes in that game. Cassel should focus on ball control, ball control, and more ball control. After Cassel learns this style of play, Mcdaniels can introduce him to a bit more sexy playcalling, but for now baby steps. Let Cassel get these next 2 or 3 games under his belt, make some mistakes and learn from them. The next two games are winnable and I think the Pats can win comfortably with their current roster. Once week 6 or 7 rolls around, that's when he can start learning "deep post to Moss" stuff. It's a miracle Cassle got so many reps in the preseason and got comfortable with the playbook. I'm excited, this season got more intriguing, I can't wait for Sunday!

This season is definately going to be more interesting and intriguing

It was almost expected to be a boring blowout when we play the sisters of the poor - Now I think NO game will be that way

I may be miserable but I would rather be that then be one of you rah-rah guys that will be pulling your hair out if Cassel struggles in a several game span.

There are 2 islands in Patriots Nation - one of them is those who think Cassel is going to be Brady ala 2001 and the other island is for those who look like its up to the defense and RBs to get the job done cause faith in Cassel is pretty low

Don't get me wrong - Myself like millions of Patriots fans know this is Cassel's team at this point and we HAVE to stand behind him because we have no choice so we continue onto week 2 and hoping Cassel is not the goat in many of the upcoming games

So you are going to revel in cassel's failures?

I just want to win games. It's going to take great defense, great special teams, great coaching, and Cassel is going to have to make his share of plays balaanced with a running game to keep the defense honest.

GOAT= Greatest of All Time. He won't be the goat, but if he's half of what Brady is I'll be happy.

So you are going to revel in cassel's failures?

I just want to win games. It's going to take great defense, great special teams, great coaching, and Cassel is going to have to make his share of plays balaanced with a running game to keep the defense honest.

GOAT= Greatest of All Time. He won't be the goat, but if he's half of what Brady is I'll be happy.

I want them to win games as well,lots of them

I won't gloat if Cassel sucks and we go 8-8 but I will attack those who attack me based on what I feel right now if my prognostication comes true - And beleive me I want to be wrong about him and the teams season outlook which right now looks about 9-7 as my guess - 10-6 at best.

Last edited:
You truly need to stop with this sh!t

As soon as Casell starts holding the ball too long - as he always does since he has no pocket presense
(unless you go back to his high school days :rolleyes:) as soon as you see the pick sixes and as soon as you see his fear in a big play,as soon as you realize the team cannot afford to trail by 2 scores or more then maybe you will start to believe the team will need to look elsewhere and I think Matt will NOT be the QB by week 14 - It will be a desperate move for a JAG or even the kid O'Connell.

Look at Cassel's face next time when facing a blitz - He looks ready to jump ship and his eyes resemble a deer's eyes in headlights - take a good look at them when its 3rd and 13 - fear is not something you fake at that point.

This is NOT 2001
Cassel is NOT Brady from 2001 or will he be better than Tom was (Tom had David Patten as a starting WR - not exactly what Cassel has now and still I think he will fail)

Its BBs team and BB makes the decisions- not me,you or any keyboard professor here but I think this move will be a bad one,maybe not now but when the playoff push comes to shove,if the team stays into the race by then.

If Matt manages this game and does not throw many long passes and the running game is doing good then the offense can still flourish

I would be willing to bet the offense does not generate more than 28 points in any game this season,that means the defense needs to gel well..and quickly

And you are wrong about me thinking if Brady has a bad game that I think anything but the opposing defense just
had a great game plan - Manning had a lousy game on Sunday but the Bears brought the kitchen sink with their defense,Next week Manning will probably add another 350 yards passing on his resume,one bad game will mean nothing.

You do realize that you don't even have 1% of the information that BB has regarding this, so what gives you the right or makes you confident in your "opinion" on Matt Cassel's abilities?

I just want to make sure that you don't EXPECT Cassel to come out and be a HOF QB. I don't want to see him being attacked for making mistakes that EVERY QB IN THE HISTORY of the game has made, as long as it doesn't become the consistent theme. He still has to grow (like Brady had to grow in 2001).

You do realize that you don't even have 1% of the information that BB has regarding this, so what gives you the right or makes you confident in your "opinion" on Matt Cassel's abilities?

I just want to make sure that you don't EXPECT Cassel to come out and be a HOF QB. I don't want to see him being attacked for making mistakes that EVERY QB IN THE HISTORY of the game has made, as long as it doesn't become the consistent theme. He still has to grow (like Brady had to grow in 2001).

Cassel could go out and go 29-30, for 400+ yards and 6 touchdowns, and some of these people would be pissing and moaning because the incompletion was a bad pass.

Last edited:
One thing's for sure.

We're sure as hell going to see.

I'm as excited for Sunday as I was for the Super Bowl.

I doubt if he's going to light the world up but if the team is exciting and competitive this year for a wild card, I'll be ecstatic. I for one think he's going to surprise people and play decently. He won't throw four touchdowns a game, but he'll have his moments and he'll beat a few decent teams. Like the Jets. On Sunday.

I don't get the crazy optimists and I don't get the sick pessimists. After re-watching the first half, I saw Cassel moving in the pocket, making his reads, just like a real QB. I saw him throw nice passes and I saw him throw ducks into double coverage, just like a real QB.

Why does every other QB who steps onto the field for pretty much the first time get a mulligan for a few games, while people have to declare this guy either the next Brady or the next Rohan Davey right the f--k away.

Honestly, I don't know what he'll be and people that think they do based either on a bad preseason or their religious faith in a very good but very human coach are forgetting how truly difficult it is to play QB in the NFL, and how few can play consistently at a high level.

We will know soon enough about Matt Cassel. He had a good game against KC. Last year, A.J. Feeley had a good game against a much better team, but unless two QBs get injured this year, he won't see the field again, and for good reason.

So why don't we set aside the insane optimism and the pusillanimous pessimism for a couple of games and see how Matt Cassel does?

Last edited:
I don't get the crazy optimists and I don't get the sick pessimists. After re-watching the first half, I saw Cassel moving in the pocket, making his reads, just like a real QB. I saw him throw nice passes and I saw him throw ducks into double coverage, just like a real QB.

Why does every other QB who steps onto the field for pretty much the first time get a mulligan for a few games, while people have to declare this guy either the next Brady or the next Rohan Davey right the f--k away.

Honestly, I don't know what he'll be and people that think they do based either on a bad preseason or their religious faith in a very good but very human coach are forgetting how truly difficult it is to play QB in the NFL, and how few can play consistently at a high level.

We will know soon enough about Matt Cassel. He had a good game against KC. Last year, A.J. Feeley had a good game against a much better team, but unless two QBs get injured this year, he won't see the field again, and for good reason.

So why don't we set aside the insane optimism and the pusillanimous pessimism for a couple of games and see how Matt Cassel does?

Are you kidding? This is a New England fan base. We had at least one person here analyzing the guy's postgame press conference, for crying out loud.

Can't we all just get along?

And agree...

He is what he is.

This season is a crap-shoot. Matt will be given the opportunity over the next several weeks to grow into a decent QB.

We have to stop comparing Cassel to Brady and the situation in 2001

Do you guys understand that QBs as dominant as Brady and P. Manning in today's league are so rare that they really only come around about once in about 10 years?

Just stop comparing what Brady did to what you think Cassel will duplicate

If you are lucky Cassel will manage his position just good enough to avoid messing up and let the other vets take over the productivity of the offense

IMO Cassel will NOT be the guy that puts this team on his back like Brady did in 2001 so please stop with the ridiculous comparisons - Tom became a leader of the team overnight,Cassel will likely mix in

Brady is Brady and is one of those special players that are as rare as uncooked steak and was good almost immediately in his first game and then on especially remembering the pasting of the Colts in his third game as starting QB - Brady you just know was born with this talent of playing in the pros - Cassel was fortunate enough to be given a shot to eventually start after being #2 so long.

IMO Cassel is an average joe and will remain an average joe who just needs to not fu(k up and let the players around him make him look good,thats all.

Cassel is more of a Tavaris Jackson or maybe a Jon Kitna type if you want to compare him as a starting QB this year,those 2 guys are guys with limited ability and needs a surrounding cast to win since you cannot put the ball in their hands in critical times to trust them to carry the team.

If this team does succeed this year it will be because the team played around the replacement QB and just avoided putting Cassel into a position of having to win games practically on his own like Brady did so many times.

If Cassel is put into position of winning games like if the team is trailing by 14 points I see no real hope in those situations,This team this year if they are behind on the scoreboard in order to win games must at least stay close for 3quarters to have a shot - There will be no major comebacks if the team trails by large margins any time this year.

This is my opinion and like I had said before if this team starts losing, the lovefest for Cassel will drop quicker than an anchor off the roof of the Sears Tower and the demand for an available JAG QB will be all over the forum.

If you expect Cassel to carry the load like Brady did in his first season, I can assure you the team is home for the playoffs - Cassel is not ready or talented enough at this point to do what Tom did back then

Dreaming is free though and more power to your 'positive' approach to this tragic situation.

u wanna compare cassel to someone other then brady?

why do u say jon kitna? i would compare him to an eli manning, to a brad johnson, to a trent dilfer.....

The highlighted portion of this post is cr@p. That was a perfect pass and catch for a TD. Randy didn't do anything spectacular on that play to 'save' it for Matty.

Cassell is what he is, and you know what? Nobody on this board knows what that is. The coaches don't even know. They may have an idea, but they can't be sure. But all you negative nancy's can keep sulking if you want. Me? I'm going to do what I always do. Put on my Pats gear on Sunday morning and hope my team wins the game.

I wish I could have seen what kind of play it would have been on third and eleven from the one if Cassell hadn't been scared for his life. Maybe it would have gone for a TD instead of just fifty yards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News