PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why NE took Mallet....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mallet looked promising behind the 3rd/4th/5th stringers. Hopefully he will show more as time goes on .....BTW ...one reason ...that we took Mallet is because of BB cache of draft picks..... He can take chances on players where other teams ...are trying to fill tons of holes...and cant afford a miss. That's the advantage of having so many higher round draft choices.....and free agency after the draft......BB looks at value ...and is able to take those chances...thats one of the reasons .why people hate the patriots...because they wish they could do what we do ...LOL

:rocker:

Nobody knows what will happen, but you're taking an unecessarily hardline view. Whenever someone brings up Mallett succeeding Brady, you bring up KOC. That's simply ridiculous. KOC was NEVER good. Not even in the pass-happy WAC. KOC was a great ATHLETE in college; Mallett was a great QUARTERBACK in college. Your attempts to compare them are absurd. Also, you're assuming that we're basing this on Mallett's performance last night. To the contrary, since draft day it has been a reasonable view that one day Mallett will replace Brady. Anytime there is a young stud sitting behind a guy in his mid-30s, the guy in his mid-30s should rightfully be watching his back--Joe Montana was not sacred, and neither is Tom Brady. I'm also not buying that the Pats need to watch Mallett start for a season or 2 before they are comfortable with him. Brady started 8 games in 2001 before Drew was medically cleared to play and BB had seen enough. Aaron Rodgers had never played a full season and the Packers had seen enough. Yes, there is a possibility Mallett will not develop well, but practice+preseason+spot starts over 4 years will give the staff plenty to base their decision on.

OK then. I will stop presuming an arguable GOAT won't just fall off a cliff and still want to play because he has such a selfish ego if you stop presuming Mallet has to be the heir apparent just because...

Belichick believed Brady was a better fit for this offense before the first snap in 2001, yet he didn't make the move until his hand was forced. And that was with Drew as the starter...LOL He didn't make the move because he also knew that what he believed about Brady was a projection and subject to revision once the real bullitts started flying. Drew got to keep his job based on contract and real world experience. As it turned out after 8 games Bill knew what he believed about Brady was spot on in the real world. Mallett may not get a shot like that here ever. And he's being compared to a consistent performer who was a first ballot HOF lock 5 years into his career and is the reigning league MVP a decade later. And remember this too, Brady has 2 seasons less mileage on his tires than most QB's drafted 11 years ago... I fully expect that along with some of the new practice and off season rules and the most talented OL in his tenure to help him extend his career.

Nobody knows what will happen, but you're taking an unecessarily hardline view. Whenever someone brings up Mallett succeeding Brady, you bring up KOC. That's simply ridiculous. KOC was NEVER good. Not even in the pass-happy WAC. KOC was a great ATHLETE in college; Mallett was a great QUARTERBACK in college. Your attempts to compare them are absurd. Also, you're assuming that we're basing this on Mallett's performance last night. To the contrary, since draft day it has been a reasonable view that one day Mallett will replace Brady. Anytime there is a young stud sitting behind a guy in his mid-30s, the guy in his mid-30s should rightfully be watching his back--Joe Montana was not sacred, and neither is Tom Brady. I'm also not buying that the Pats need to watch Mallett start for a season or 2 before they are comfortable with him. Brady started 8 games in 2001 before Drew was medically cleared to play and BB had seen enough. Aaron Rodgers had never played a full season and the Packers had seen enough. Yes, there is a possibility Mallett will not develop well, but practice+preseason+spot starts over 4 years will give the staff plenty to base their decision on.

Mallett will be the starter by 2013 season. Sooner if Brady gets hurt. If Brady was to get an injury that sidelined him for the season he will never get his starting job back and all of you wil be glad that he doesn't. Mallett is that good.

Mallet was pretty much the only draft pick that I actually liked. It was a "no-brainer" at the time. I thought that both he and Hoyer looked good last night and thought to myself the Pats might have the three of the four best QBs in the AFC East!

BUT, the new CBA has changed things...

Under the Old CBA you had a 45 man game day roster and the "3rd QB" 46 spot (The 3rd QB could only enter the game in the 4th quarter, if he entered before that, the other 2 QBs could not re-enter the game). But under the new CBA their is a 46 man gameday roster and no "3rd QB" rule. I think that alot of teams are gong to carry only 2 QBs on their gameday rosters and most likely on their 53 man rosters. That being said, their is NO WAY that either Mallet nor Hoyer make it thourgh waivers (to land on the Pats pratice squad), so the Pats have to either keep 3 QBs on the 53 man roster, or trade one of them.

Personally I would keep Mallet for a better long term deal, however, if they had to play today, I would rather have Hoyer.

Last edited:
Mallett will be the starter by 2013 season. Sooner if Brady gets hurt. If Brady was to get an injury that sidelined him for the season he will never get his starting job back and all of you wil be glad that he doesn't. Mallett is that good.

LOL

When you are wrong will you promise to leave and never come back? You can easily then take a sabatical to get over yourself, regroup and go wherever Mallett lands in 2014 before his rookie contract expires.

Mallet was pretty much the only draft pick that I actually liked. It was a "no-brainer" at the time. I thought that both he and Hoyer looked good last night and thought to myself the Pats might have the three of the four best QBs in the AFC East!

BUT, the new CBA has changed things...

Under the Old CBA you had a 45 man game day roster and the "3rd QB" 46 spot (The 3rd QB could only enter the game in the 4th quarter, if he entered before that, the other 2 QBs could not re-enter the game). But under the new CBA their is a 46 man gameday roster and no "3rd QB" rule. I think that alot of teams are gong to carry only 2 QBs on their gameday rosters and most likely on their 53 man rosters. That being said, their is NO WAY that either Mallet nor Hoyer make it thourgh waivers (to land on the Pats pratice squad), so the Pats have to either keep 3 QBs on the 53 man roster, or trade one of them.

Personally I would keep Mallet for a better long term deal, however, if they had to play today, I would rather have Hoyer.

They will keep both because neither would survive waivers. That is a fact. They will not necessarily dress 3 on game day. Brady and Hoyer will dress. Whether or not Mallet does will depend on roster health and depth and situational issues week to week.

Last edited:
If a team loses a quality QB Hoyer is here for the taking:)

I still smell 2nd rounder

Last edited:

lol.

ha ha ha

Call me when you've predicted that for a 7th rounder or UDFA in their rookie season...:rolleyes: You are nothing if not way to full of yourself.

What if Mallett and his agent want a big payday sooner or a bigger payday than NE is even willing to consider for a replacement - particularly if Brady is again coming off a pro bowl or MVP contention or winning season? Again, IMO Brady's current deal isn't his last extension here. Look for one in 2013. If not, then you can start penciling in Mallett if he's still here.

Franchise Tag on Mallett when the time comes. Value comes into play w/ a 37 y/o QB.
Mallett has greater value than Brady in 2015 w/ TFB @ age 37
if Mallet becomes that BEAST we predict him to be then Brady is gone

Last edited:

Gr8 Post you are Spot On
:)

Here is a little perspective. I do think there are teams out there trying to work out a trade with us.

Patriots - Tom Brady, Brian Hoyer, Ryan Mallett

• Redskins - John Beck, Rex Grossman
  • Seahawks - Tarvaris Jackson, Charlie Whitehurst
  • Bengals - Andy Dalton, Bruce Gradkowski
  • 49'ers - Alex Smith, Colin Kaepernick
  • Dolphins - Chad Henne, Matt Moore
  • Vikings - Donovan McNabb, Christian Ponder

Here is a little perspective. I do think there are teams out there trying to work out a trade with us.

Patriots - Tom Brady, Brian Hoyer, Ryan Mallett

• Redskins - John Beck, Rex Grossman
  • Seahawks - Tarvaris Jackson, Charlie Whitehurst
  • Bengals - Andy Dalton, Bruce Gradkowski
  • 49'ers - Alex Smith, Colin Kaepernick
  • Dolphins - Chad Henne, Matt Moore
  • Vikings - Donovan McNabb, Christian Ponder

If they are they are either persuing Mallett or really spinning their wheels this season. Hoyer will likely be available under a RFA tender next off season provided BB is comfortable that Mallett is progressing to the point he could be a viable #2. There is almost nothing you could offer BB at this juncture that would make him comfortable trading his established backup.

If a team loses a quality QB Hoyer is here for the taking:)

I still smell 2nd rounder

Not this season he isn't. You don't really grasp what constitutes value to BB.

Franchise Tag on Mallett when the time comes. Value comes into play w/ a 37 y/o QB.
Mallett has greater value than Brady in 2015 w/ TFB @ age 37
if Mallet becomes that BEAST we predict him to be then Brady is gone

"we" basically includes the overwound board children. They aren't franchise tagging Mallett at by then likely $20M probably in his lifetime let alone after 4 years as a backup unless they plan to trade him quick at a discount to whatever team BOB is H' ing or Caserio is GM'ing by then....

I think BB took Mallett for a few reasons. First of all, at the 74th pick, he was a steal. Regardless of whether we need a QB or not, thats too high for a kid like Ryan to be.

Secondly, Mallett's father was/is a Varsity Football Coach. Belichick obviously knew this and must have a radar for kids that grew up in intelligent football families. Considering he went from Michigan to Arkansas and barely missed a beat, speaks volumes on his football intellect. And it was obvious during his first preseason game that he understands (to a certain level) how this offense operates.

I also think BB recognizes the potential trade-bait of a guy like Hoyer. He has been behind TB for 3 seasons, has leadership qualities (leading offseason practices), and can be a starting QB in most organizations. If Mallett shows any potential to be a starting QB, trading Hoyer might provide the Patriots the most upside.

I wonder if there's a "Why didn't the Jags take Mallett?" thread on the Jags boards... :singing:
From a brief look, not really. They're circling the wagons defending their team and hating on the national media for the most part. Primarily pointing out that Gabbert was playing against 1st and 2nd stringers while Mallett was playing against UDFAs; Gabbert facing a much stronger pass rush, Mallett had all night to throw, etc.

Jaguars.com | Gabbert vs. Mallett

Several other threads there; they seem to be split on wanting to upgrade at WR versus wanting to upgrade the OL as their primary concern.

Here is another thing for those of you who say "Mallett was against 3rd and forth string defense". Maybe so, but he was also playing with third or forth string line and recievers. It will make no difference if he was with first string against first string, the result will be the same. Brady would not do any better with the group Mallett was with against the same defense he was playing against. Brady = this season and maybe next then he is done. He looks a little done already.

From a brief look, not really. They're circling the wagons defending their team and hating on the national media for the most part. Primarily pointing out that Gabbert was playing against 1st and 2nd stringers while Mallett was playing against UDFAs; Gabbert facing a much stronger pass rush, Mallett had all night to throw, etc.

Jaguars.com | Gabbert vs. Mallett

Several other threads there; they seem to be split on wanting to upgrade at WR versus wanting to upgrade the OL as their primary concern.

Gabbert was playing against mostly 2nd and 3rd stringers. He wasn't impressive and wasn't terrible. They can defend him all they want, Mallett and Hoyer outplayed him last night.

Brady would not do any better with the group Mallett was with against the same defense he was playing against. Brady = this season and maybe next then he is done. He looks a little done already.
I'm sorry but thats just an asinine comment. To assume Mallet is the equivalent of Brady just because the offensive line skill level matched up with defensive line of the Jags is absolutely ignorant. Brady led the NFL (not the SEC) in QB rating, TD's, and INTs. He was the unanimous MVP. Mallet is not Brady and to assume so based on anything beyond several full years in the NFL is absurd.

And to say he looks done already is just straight trolling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye