PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why NE took Mallet....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well would you like to see where he ranks?

1. Aaron Rodgers
2. Phillip Rivers
3. Michael Vick
4. Drew Brees
5. Eli Manning
6. Peyton Manning
7. Matt Ryan
8. Ben Roethlesburger
9. Tom Brady

What an informative post. Thanks for backing that up with all those facts. ;)

Youare right, Mallett has much more ability than Brady ever had. Brady is probably the 9th or 10th best QB in the NFL right now, he no where near the top. Rodgers is much better than Brady.

Now you're just being silly

1. Aaron Rodgers
2. Phillip Rivers
3. Michael Vick
4. Drew Brees
5. Eli Manning
6. Peyton Manning
7. Matt Ryan
8. Ben Roethlesburger
9. Tom Brady

Here is the real rankings

Tom Brady

Peyton Manning

The rest of the nfl.

I really don't see the 'draft the qb of the future 5 years before we need him and by the time he's a starter we'll be paying free agent market value to keep him' theme. Most likely this allows us to showcase and trade hoyer (good for hoyer too), and use mallet as a cheap backup until he gets traded after we draft the real brady successor

What you're missing is that it really doesn't matter what you pay your QB. Its so important to have a good one that the salary is almost immaterial. IE, its worth drafting a guy a couple years earlier if it means you KNOW that you're going to have a good QB when your vet retires/declines.

When you wait until a year or two before, you risk wasting entire seasons.

Also, drafting a QB early in the first (which we won't have the picks to do) costs almost as much as paying a guy like Brady.

But under the new CBA their is a 46 man gameday roster and no "3rd QB" rule. I think that alot of teams are gong to carry only 2 QBs on their gameday rosters and most likely on their 53 man rosters. That being said, their is NO WAY that either Mallet nor Hoyer make it thourgh waivers (to land on the Pats pratice squad), so the Pats have to either keep 3 QBs on the 53 man roster, or trade one of them.

I'm not sure where you get that the change in the rule will cause a lot of teams to drop QBs from the 53s. It might happen, but so many teams have carried three QBs for so long that I expect that to continue.

In any case, Hoyer isn't eligible for the PS, and, as you said, Mallett wouldn't clear waivers.

Last edited:
Mallet showed some raw talent and kinda looked like a very young Brett Favre but Brady even at 38 years old could still be a 25+ TD 3,500+ yerd QB witch would be better numbers then John Elway at 37 and 38 winning back to back SB's

and lets face it the only reason Brett Favre was not in green bay two years ago is because the HC had a nuff of him not showing up to TC the team was working hard as Favre stayed home with he's fam, so if a first round pick SB winning QB like Aaron Rodgers could not beat out a 38 year old Brett Favre who did not give he's team 100% i find it hard to beleve that Mallet will beat out a 38 year old Brady who is all ways the hardest worker on the team... but thats just my opinion

...and Bernie Kosar and Drew Bledsoe are too good and paid too much to be replaced...they are the face of the franchise.

You need to put the crack pipe away and get into rehab we're begging you.

I can never find that bat-sh*t crazy button,when I so desperately need it....sigh:(

3 QB's on the 53 this year.

Mallett not ready to backup on a team with the SB as a goal, Hoyer is ready for that role. With Hoyer as a RFA, tender and Trade next off season. Hopefully towards the end of the year he can get another 3 -5 qtrs in the last game or 2 (after the Pats rap up HF for the playoffs). Mallett ready to be the Backup if he does his work this year and next off season.

I think this kid will put in the work required to be a very good player, lots of work in the film room will be required, Brady is a great role model. Best place in the league to learn how to become a QB.

As an aside funny that none of PM's backups have done anything.

Last edited:
Edited: To address the Notion of Mallett The Trade Bait

1 ~ #74 in 2011 = c. a 2012 2nd Rounder.

2 ~ A 2012 2nd Rounder = A 2013 1st Rounder.

3 ~ A 2013 1st Rounder = A 2014 1st Rounder AND a 2013 2nd Rounder.

4 ~ A 2013 2nd + a 2014 1st = TWO 2014 1sts.

5 ~ 2 2014 1st Rounders = 2 2014 2nd Rounders + 2 2015 1st Rounders.

6 ~ 2 2014 2nds + 2 2015 1sts = 4 2015 1sts.

7 ~ 4 2015 1sts = 4 2015 2nds + 4 2016 1sts.

8 ~ 4 2015 2nds + 4 2016 1sts = 8 2016 1st Round Draft Picks.

If we follow the Kelvin Kolb TimeLine and trade Mallett for a 2016 2nd Rounder and a Corner Back...I'm afraid I won't be in a mood to rejoice. :rolleyes:

Perhaps I will be forgiven if I consider such a Return on a 2011 early 3rd Rounder to be...WEAK.
jester.gif

Hilarious!!!!!

1. Aaron Rodgers
2. Phillip Rivers
3. Michael Vick
4. Drew Brees
5. Eli Manning
6. Peyton Manning
7. Matt Ryan
8. Ben Roethlesburger
9. Tom Brady
extreme_spit_take.gif

10 char

...and Bernie Kosar and Drew Bledsoe are too good and paid too much to be replaced...they are the face of the franchise.

Bernie Kosar has 124 TD's in 13 NFL seasons he's best year in the NFL was not even as good as Bradys worst, Tom Brady is more then just the face of the franchise he's the face of the NFL as long as Brady wants to play he will be the starting QB of the new england patriots

Mallet wont see the field anytime soon.Maybe we can get a sucker to give us a first round pick for him.:D

I think the only question left is when will ESPN start taping for the Mallett 5? :D

I think the only question left is when will ESPN start taping for the Mallett 5? :D

Mallett 6, you mean. ;)

[Newton, Gabbert, Locker, Ponder, Kaepernick, Dalton]

I saw some discussion about this in the PreSeason thread and thought it deserved it's own.

Why did the Patriots take Mallet?

Value. BB saw potential in Mallet and knows he can turn him into a good QB.

Would anyone else in the 3rd round provide as much value? No.

1. In a few years, Brady may be ready to retire.

2. If Brady gets hurt, Mallet can step in and play.

3. If neither of the above happen, remember that the Eagles got a 2nd rounder AND Dominique Rogers-Cromartie for Kevin Kolb. QB's hold high trade value because a good QB is rare, and teams are desperate for them.

It's not one or the other - it's all of the above

Whether Mallet will be held, played, traded, groomed to be Brady's successor depends on hundreds if not thousands of variables, much of which comes down to Brady's health and ability as he grows older and Mallet's behavior, maturity, skills and just plain old good luck.

There's no debate about "which" specific reason the Patriots took him - it was all of the above for them... they just let them play and see what happens.

1. Aaron Rodgers
2. Phillip Rivers
3. Michael Vick
4. Drew Brees
5. Eli Manning
6. Peyton Manning
7. Matt Ryan
8. Ben Roethlesburger
9. Tom Brady

If one lacks football knowledge, why do they post?

1. Aaron Rodgers
2. Phillip Rivers
3. Michael Vick
4. Drew Brees
5. Eli Manning
6. Peyton Manning
7. Matt Ryan
8. Ben Roethlesburger
9. Tom Brady

Well, I guess that explains that league MVP trophy he won UNANIMOUSLY just last season...

Honestly, Ian should have a rule that not only threads but posters can be moved to the PS.

Well, I guess that explains that league MVP trophy he won UNANIMOUSLY just last season...

Honestly, Ian should have a rule that not only threads but posters can be moved to the PS.

It says I'm in the PS....:(

If Mallett is the film rat and coaches son that BB indicated he is we may have lucked out.

I think Brady will end up being the GOAT by the time he retires: 5 SB wins, 6 Conference championships, Highest winning % for any QB > 100 games, most win ever by a QB, most playoff wins by a QB, 2nd highest winning % in the playoffs >6 games, are within reach. He doesn't strike me as the type who will try to hang around forever, he is the anti Farve.

At some point father time wins over all athletes, if Brady thinks his skills has slipped and someone else will be better for the team he will retire. I believe he is his own worst critic when evaluating his performance. He will know when it is time. He also knows that BB will what is best for the team when the time comes

Brady will be 38 when his contract ends. He is at his peak now but no one can say how he will be when he is 38. Look at the age when most of the HOF QB's retires, we don't know what could happen with injuries and so on. I will be thrilled if he plays 6 more years at this level or close to it. I would tender and pay Mallett the $$$ if he develops the way a lot of us think he could develop.

The Niners kept Montana and Young on the roster for a couple of years. If Brady is a year or 2 from retirement Mallett won't go anywhere if BB thinks he can take over.

For now we forget about the kid let him carry a clipboard and learn for a couple of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes