PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why NE took Mallet....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brady = this season and maybe next then he is done. He looks a little done already.
Based on what, his not playing last night? What you would consider to be a terrible 2010 season, with lower productivity than the previous year? Something you've seen in training camp?

Last edited:
Here is another thing for those of you who say "Mallett was against 3rd and forth string defense". Maybe so, but he was also playing with third or forth string line and recievers. It will make no difference if he was with first string against first string, the result will be the same. Brady would not do any better with the group Mallett was with against the same defense he was playing against. Brady = this season and maybe next then he is done. He looks a little done already.

Definately a Arkanas fan. Fascinate about Mallett much?

Here is another thing for those of you who say "Mallett was against 3rd and forth string defense". Maybe so, but he was also playing with third or forth string line and recievers. It will make no difference if he was with first string against first string, the result will be the same. Brady would not do any better with the group Mallett was with against the same defense he was playing against. Brady = this season and maybe next then he is done. He looks a little done already.

Dude, I know you are Ryan's older brother but WTF?!?!

You can get banned for that kind of FOOTBALL logic.

Last night one of the sideline reporters said that the Pats actually had Mallett as their No 1 rated QB in the 2011 draft based off of what he saw in the war room.

That doesn't surprise me based on what I've read about him.

Mallett will be the starter by 2013 season. Sooner if Brady gets hurt. If Brady was to get an injury that sidelined him for the season he will never get his starting job back and all of you wil be glad that he doesn't. Mallett is that good.

Hmmmmmmmmmm.

Here is a little perspective. I do think there are teams out there trying to work out a trade with us.

Patriots - Tom Brady, Brian Hoyer, Ryan Mallett

• Redskins - John Beck, Rex Grossman
  • Seahawks - Tarvaris Jackson, Charlie Whitehurst
  • Bengals - Andy Dalton, Bruce Gradkowski
  • 49'ers - Alex Smith, Colin Kaepernick
  • Dolphins - Chad Henne, Matt Moore
  • Vikings - Donovan McNabb, Christian Ponder

Good job making a list but I would take off the Bengals, 49ers, and Vikings. Why trade for a young QB if you just drafted one in the 1st or 2nd round?

I'd add the Raiders to that list (Jason Campbell, Trent Edwards, Kyle Boller), and the fact that Al Davis can be scammed. I bet he bids on Terrelle Pryor next week though.

Good job making a list but I would take off the Bengals, 49ers, and Vikings. Why trade for a young QB if you just drafted one in the 1st or 2nd round?

I'd add the Raiders to that list (Jason Campbell, Trent Edwards, Kyle Boller), and the fact that Al Davis can be scammed. I bet he bids on Terrelle Pryor next week though.

You could probably add Seattle if they aren't feeling good about Whitehurst, Oakland Raiders maybe. Ny Jets;) Sorry just thinking of other teams that actually need a decent QB.

Getting Mallett in the third round was a great move. Look how many teams are searching for a QB which makes developing QBs a good move-look how much Philly got for Kevin Kolb and the Pats getting a 2 for Cassel was a great value especially for someone drafted in the 7th.

In addition if anything were to happen to Brady (God forbid), we have a confident backup in Hoyer and Mallett gives even more assurance. I don't know, but I'd be surprised if any team had a better stable of QBs than the Pats.

You can't have too many good QBs in the NFL.

Based on what, his not playing last night? What you would consider to be a terrible 2010 season, with lower productivity than the previous year? Something you've seen in training camp?

Why not. Most posters are judging Tate based on his play last night.

I think BB took Mallett for a few reasons. First of all, at the 74th pick, he was a steal. Regardless of whether we need a QB or not, thats too high for a kid like Ryan to be.

Secondly, Mallett's father was/is a Varsity Football Coach. Belichick obviously knew this and must have a radar for kids that grew up in intelligent football families. Considering he went from Michigan to Arkansas and barely missed a beat, speaks volumes on his football intellect. And it was obvious during his first preseason game that he understands (to a certain level) how this offense operates.

I also think BB recognizes the potential trade-bait of a guy like Hoyer. He has been behind TB for 3 seasons, has leadership qualities (leading offseason practices), and can be a starting QB in most organizations. If Mallett shows any potential to be a starting QB, trading Hoyer might provide the Patriots the most upside.

Whilst I agree with your other points, your first is spot on. To be honest, I don't think it gets any more complicated than that. It's clear BB didn't particularly like the draft and once he had Ridley, who they were targeting, didn't really see that there was much more to accomplish in the draft, hence drafting a DE/OLB project from a small school, a blocking TE, a DB who could only get on the field at TCU as a special teamer and an OL with cancer (Not a criticism of the Cannon pick which I like). Mallet just represented good value in light of the fact that there wasn't really anyone else on the Pats radar carrying a 3rd round grade. In fact, as I remember it, there was much talk that the Pats were trying to trade the pick to teams they thought might want Mallet. So it's not as though BB was crazy about Mallet either.

Last edited:
Good pick in the 3rd round. Talent, potential... Not more complicated than that.

Maybe Hoyer and Mallett NOT playing much will actually raise their value. It'll hide any deficiencies.

I don't know if Mallett sticks around to play if/when Brady is ready to be repaced. But I like the pick and I'm interested in seeing how it plays out. As others have said, Hoyer could be gone once the 2012 draft rolls around.

Fun times ahead for sure. Love football.

Mallet was probably the top guy left on BB's board whe he picked at #74. I think it's a simple as that. If he were looking for a replacement for Brady, he probably does that earlier. That being said, concerns about his character, and some mechanical flaws (sloppy footwork as mentioned before) are probably the only reason he lasted until the 3rd round. Talent wise, he's a first round QB, Production wise, he's a first round QB. He threw for almost 3900 yards, 32 TD's and only 12 Int's are nothing to sneeze at, those are some major QB stats. Add his size and rocket arm, and he rates a 1st round QB.

Based on how he played last night, that's better than I've ever seen a first year Patriot's QB not named Brady or Bledsoe. Cassel, KOC, Davey, Klingsbury, none of them looked as good as Mallet did in his first ever preseason NFL game. So it is time to get a little excited of the prospects of watching Mallet grow into the role of heir apparent.

I'm sorry but thats just an asinine comment. To assume Mallet is the equivalent of Brady just because the offensive line skill level matched up with defensive line of the Jags is absolutely ignorant. Brady led the NFL (not the SEC) in QB rating, TD's, and INTs. He was the unanimous MVP. Mallet is not Brady and to assume so based on anything beyond several full years in the NFL is absurd.

And to say he looks done already is just straight trolling.

Youare right, Mallett has much more ability than Brady ever had. Brady is probably the 9th or 10th best QB in the NFL right now, he no where near the top. Rodgers is much better than Brady.

Dude, I know you are Ryan's older brother but WTF?!?!

You can get banned for that kind of FOOTBALL logic.

If so why have they not banned you? I suggest you watch your mouth.

Edited: To address the Notion of Mallett The Trade Bait

1 ~ #74 in 2011 = c. a 2012 2nd Rounder.

2 ~ A 2012 2nd Rounder = A 2013 1st Rounder.

3 ~ A 2013 1st Rounder = A 2014 1st Rounder AND a 2013 2nd Rounder.

4 ~ A 2013 2nd + a 2014 1st = TWO 2014 1sts.

5 ~ 2 2014 1st Rounders = 2 2014 2nd Rounders + 2 2015 1st Rounders.

6 ~ 2 2014 2nds + 2 2015 1sts = 4 2015 1sts.

7 ~ 4 2015 1sts = 4 2015 2nds + 4 2016 1sts.

8 ~ 4 2015 2nds + 4 2016 1sts = 8 2016 1st Round Draft Picks.

If we follow the Kelvin Kolb TimeLine and trade Mallett for a 2016 2nd Rounder and a Corner Back...I'm afraid I won't be in a mood to rejoice. :rolleyes:

Perhaps I will be forgiven if I consider such a Return on a 2011 early 3rd Rounder to be...WEAK.
jester.gif

This guy plays WAY too much madden.....and that it somehow makes him a real GM

Youare right, Mallett has much more ability than Brady ever had. Brady is probably the 9th or 10th best QB in the NFL right now, he no where near the top. Rodgers is much better than Brady.

9th or 10th is a little outta place....he's lucky to be a starter in this league. If fact, we should trade him and a 1st rounder for someone with potential like Vince young or someone....or maybe trade him to the Packers, so that he could be Rogers backup

9th or 10th is a little outta place....he's lucky to be a starter in this league. If fact, we should trade him and a 1st rounder for someone with potential like Vince young or someone....or maybe trade him to the Packers, so that he could be Rogers backup

Well would you like to see where he ranks?

1. Aaron Rodgers
2. Phillip Rivers
3. Michael Vick
4. Drew Brees
5. Eli Manning
6. Peyton Manning
7. Matt Ryan
8. Ben Roethlesburger
9. Tom Brady

Well would you like to see where he ranks?

1. Aaron Rodgers
2. Phillip Rivers
3. Michael Vick
4. Drew Brees
5. Eli Manning
6. Peyton Manning
7. Matt Ryan
8. Ben Roethlesburger
9. Tom Brady

You need to put the crack pipe away and get into rehab we're begging you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back