PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why have we heard nothing about Wilfork?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does converting salary/bonus into 2016 dead money help manage the cap with a declining veteran? Then, you cut him and take a dead money hit, hurting your cap for TWO years.

Vince retires this weekend. The Pats eat $433K of dead money, but pick up $8.1 million in cap space. It's the perfect time for the Pats. It's the perfect time for Vince: he just got the bonus victory lap extra year on the back end of his career, earned every penny of performance incentives, got a big paycheck, and is sporting a new SuperBowl ring. When is it ever going to be a better time for Vince?

Or, he can force the Pats to release him on Monday, sign with some crap team for $1.5 million, and end his career like Logan Mankins.

You tell me? It's so obvious that I would be shocked if Belichick hasn't already had a heart-t0-heart with Vince. Clearly the Pats aren't paying him his roster bonus on Monday. We haven't heard an explosion from Vince and Bianca.

VW has publicly said he has zero interest in retiring and intends to play in 2015.

It all depends on your line of thinking and what you believe VW has to offer this year and the next.

Vince retires this weekend. The Pats eat $433K of dead money, but pick up $8.1 million in cap space. It's the perfect time for the Pats. It's the perfect time for Vince: he just got the bonus victory lap extra year on the back end of his career, earned every penny of performance incentives, got a big paycheck, and is sporting a new SuperBowl ring. When is it ever going to be a better time for Vince?

Or, he can force the Pats to release him on Monday, sign with some crap team for $1.5 million, and end his career like Logan Mankins.

You tell me? It's so obvious that I would be shocked if Belichick hasn't already had a heart-t0-heart with Vince. Clearly the Pats aren't paying him his roster bonus on Monday. We haven't heard an explosion from Vince and Bianca.

I'd like to believe we haven't heard because Vince has agreed it's time to go & he's made peace with it.

Let him skip the off season workout program & focus on his family and post football life. He's well regarded in NE so business opportunities should arise.

Well, you're not compromising anything...and we both agree that BB won't, either. So I'm not going to argue. that point.

But would you pay Wilfork 8.5? Does he really maintain that value at this time (and isn't it the same thing: compromising the strength of the team)?

I don't know. Maybe he's worth it, given his leadership and what's hidden in the coach's tapes. Glad BB has to make the decision instead of me because letting go of Big Vince would break my heart.
No I would not pay Wilfork $8.5M. I love the guy but on the market he'd get $3M a season at best so I wouldn't pay him 3 times that. The reality for Wilfork is that not only is he a diminished player but he also plays a positions that is devalued in this NFL. 350lb NT are not the highly desired commodity they once were.

This is incorrect. Brady can redo his deal as long as his cap number does not exceed its current value of $14m.
Thanks Miguel. I heard on talk radio recently that they could not redo Brady. Media misinformation again

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News