PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why do you hate Peyton MAnning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about Brady crying to the referee during the Ravens game last year when he was barely even grazed...even more pathetic, the ref threw the flag. Funny, but they created a ridiculous rule that a defensive player on the ground can't reach out and tackle the QB; because of the Brady incident. So I'd say the NFL is more tailor-made for Brady. Has Manning ever had a rule created for him?

And this isn't even mentioning the tuck rule.

Brady doesn't have his GM on the competition committee getting rules changed, Manning does. The rule for diving into QBs knees is a good one, and it wasn't created because of Brady nor was it created by the Patriots or Brady petitioning the league, although don't tell the media that. On the other hand, Mannings GM has neutered defensive backs with rule changes HE introduced to get his guy a ring. Watch every single Colts vs Pats game since 2005 and you'll see at least 2 awful PI calls, including the 06 AFC title game which got them back in it.

Most of all though, I hate that he can do anything it the media brushes it off, I hate that he won the MVP the last 2 years with more deserving players getting screwed (although thankfully Brees got him back in the SB.) and finally, I HATE that the media has portrayed them as the good guys and the Patriots as the bad guys, and that's all it is, drama, a story, it's pathetic.

How about, just cuz he's so damn UGLY?

How about Brady crying to the referee during the Ravens game last year when he was barely even grazed...even more pathetic, the ref threw the flag. Funny, but they created a ridiculous rule that a defensive player on the ground can't reach out and tackle the QB; because of the Brady incident. So I'd say the NFL is more tailor-made for Brady. Has Manning ever had a rule created for him?

With reference to the "tuck" rule, you clearly are inviting a rational discussion. The referees in the Raiders game called on an actual rule, which had nothing to do with an established Brady in 2001. And by the way, after the Raiders cried over the outcome, what happened the next year when the Pats weren't there to stop them? Yeah, they were rooked.

And I cannot think of a single good QB who doesn't call for a penalty if there is something there. In the spirit of your post on Brady, the fact Sanchez may not have called for penalties is largely based on the fact defenses knew it was the equivalent of a coin toss that he could make any throw, so why risk a penalty with pressure. 53.8%? Better make sure the running game is in place.

As for Manning, I don't like the Colts and he is the face of the Colts. I don't question his ability - he is a great QB- and his commercials are actually pretty funny. I find him really entertaining when he is pouting on the sidelines after a good beating, and not so entertaining when he points to teammates as the reason for a loss.

Last edited:
I don't hate him at all. I respect what he has accomplished in his career. I do dislike him though for coming along at the wrong time. If he wasn't around in the same era as No. 12 then TFB would be universally considered the greatest of all time and quite possibly have 5 rings right now.

Last edited:

I can't remember what happened exactly, but I do remember Suggs cheaped out and launched himself at Brady's legs. It's a cheap shot and I would've thrown the flag as soon as Suggs was in mid air.

And I don't hate Manning because I don't know him personally.

Last edited:
Let's see...

1. Was surely behind Bill Polian having the pass interference rules changed to make things more conducive to his passing offense after losing in 2003 to us.

2. Is the quarterback of the Colts.

3. Is the media's golden boy who can do no wrong while Brady is a pariah.

4. Has thrown various teammates under the bus both on and off the field to the media, most recently Reggie Wayne and gets a pass because of said reason #3.

5. Is 9-9 in the playoffs, yet is generally considered the best QB in the game today (wrong) and one of the top three all-time (wrong).

6. Because he seems to be universally liked due to the newfound Fantasy Football mentality where FF nerds cream their pants over the guy.

I'm curious. He's one of my favorite players in the NFL, of course, lol. I can't agree with Pats fans on anything. So with that said; fire away!

because he's overrated. The media kisses his rear more than any QB in history.
Nevermind that:

1. He's had the best set of receivers and TE than any QB in NFL history other than perhaps Joe Montana (and even that is debatable)

2. He's 9-9 in the playoffs

3. People keep saying he's the best ever but the evidence suggests otherwise.

I guess as a Jets fan you wouldn't understand this; but Patriots fans know what it's like to follow a dominant team for a decade during the age of hypermedia, which knows it can gain audience by spinning Patriots stories in certain ways because of the resentment their success has fueled. It's just surprising when apparently intelligent fans buy in.

On the Ravens call: Why do people act like Brady's the first player ever to beg a call? As far as "reaching out and tackling the QB": IIRC, Pollard wasn't fined for his hit on Brady; Vince Wilfork was heavily fined for a very similar play against Buffalo the year before.

Has Manning ever had a rule created for him? More like an entire set of rules and emphasis to favor his style of play after the Patriots repeatedly stifled his game in crunch time (following the rules). The explosion in passing stats since 2004 has been in large part a result of rules redefined, created and emphasized to benefit Peyton Manning's style of play.

Not even mentioning the Tuck rule. I could be wrong, but I believe the Patriots were burned by this rule early in the 2001 season. And I believe the ruling went in favor of .. the Jets. So, yeah. Don't mention it.

So, I guess the message from Pats fans experienced in the ways of following a top team to newly confident Jets fans is: Don't buy into the hype. Either way. It is what it is.

Now, all that said, I don't see how a Pats fan can actually "hate" Peyton Manning. Great player, classic commercials. With this whole Manning vs Brady debate of the last decade, we just happen to think Brady's titles and team-first approach put him above "Peyton." And we want Brady to be the best. Our looking for holes in the Manning personna/game is no different than other teams' fans' questioning or mocking Brady's sometimes glam personna even as he repeatedly whips their tails. It's all fun stuff, isn't it?

Most people here have grudging respect for the Colts, since like it or not they've had our number for years. At the end of the day, though, most of us don't really regard the Jets as a real threat. The Colts, OTOH... well, I go into every game against them hoping for a win and expecting a loss, so they're much more frustrating as a Pats fan.

So I guess it really depends on how you define hate. If it's "team that you don't like because you feel threatened by it", then Colts. If it's "team that you don't like because it's full of blowhards who talk too much without accomplishing anything", then I'm gonna go with the Jets.

Word.

Personally I don't hate Manning. I resent the way he's gotten ballwashed by the national mediots from day 1. His antics and manningfaces and droop shouldered lack of personal accountability including in post game in the face of his bazillion dollar contracts annoy me. I actually enjoy most of his commercials, the FIRST time I see them. He has tremendous comedic timing and expression, which is something you'd never anticipate seeing the way he OCD's his way through games. Seems almost self depricating off the field, on it he's a a whiner and drama queen and the faces scream victim...not to mention his mechanics are bizarro and he throws a wobbler and gets bailed out time and again by their offensive scheme and some pretty ballsy receivers whom he makes look stupid on those rare occasions when they make a mistake.

A lot of it is obviously genetic. Eli is similar but in a less frenetic yet more pathetic kind of way...

Sanchez on the other hand is just a first round version of Romo, young, annoyingly charasmatic and ballwashed as a result and therefore increasingly full of himself, though poorly coached and oblivious of the fact he's in way over his head in the process of accomplishing exactly nothing by our lofty standards. Like in Dallas, he's a reflection of what his HC's and ownership have been over their last decade failure and disappointment, not remotely in our league. They play to win the game or envision themselves as America's sweethearts... The Patriots under Belichick play to win the Lombardi and let their performance do the talking on the field and basically (Please be quiet - edited) absent or off it. And remain unusually humble (Brady in particular) in the process. It's a mindset all too few in this increasingly hype driven league can manage to embrace.

he threw his team publicly under the bus. He cries to referees and get's ridiculous pass interference calls in his favor. The new nfl is taylor made for him. He is never criticized when he has a bad play or game. He isn't tom brady.
\\

ditto

1.) All players lobby for calls, and Suggs was clearly targeting Brady's knee in violation of the rules. The rule against targeting a QB at or below the knees was originally put in place because of the Palmer hit, not the Brady hit.

Bensinger: The NFL Rules Committee modified the rule regarding low hits on QBs. It's been dubbed by some as the "Kimo Rule." What do you think of the change?

Palmer has lofty expectations for 2006 - NFL - ESPN

The so-called "Brady rule" works off of that:

the league's Competition Committee adopted a clarification of the current rule on hits to a quarterback in the knee area or below. The clarification specifically prohibits a defender on the ground who hasn't been blocked or fouled directly into the quarterback from lunging or diving at the quarterback's lower legs.

Brady rule: Steps taken to protect QBs' knees - The Boston Globe

2.) Jets fans, out of all the fan bases in the NFL, should know better than to bring up the tuck rule, considering their team benefited from the exact same rule, against the Patriots, in week 2 of that same season, when Testaverde lost the ball, as I recall.

Also, here's Pereira's take on it:

The tuck rule, according to Pereira, long had been a rule interpretation used by officials, then was added to the rule book in 1999. Pereira has spoken about the rule often enough since the Patriots-Raiders playoff game that he knows it inside and out. "It's the one I know the best," he said with a chuckle when a reporter brought up the subject during a telephone conversation this week. ....Pereira said the rule comes up in games about 12 to 15 times per season and the application of it usually is clear-cut

Tuck Rule Hard to Grasp - washingtonpost.com

Congratulations, though. Your conversion to trolldom is complete.

I don't hate Peyton Manning ... kind of feel bad for him now as he has choked away any chance at supreme greatness. he will be in the HOF, and he has a Super Bowl ... but he had a chance for more than 1 ring ... and he choked it away.

I'm curious. He's one of my favorite players in the NFL, of course, lol. I can't agree with Pats fans on anything. So with that said; fire away!

As others have said, I don't hate him. He's a great QB and a great advertiser and if I ever saw him in person I would love to shake his hand.

But again, he does tend to throw his teammates under the bus. Somebody already mentioned how he blamed his OL after a playoff loss years back. To go even further, I remember in 2005 or 2006 in a loss to them, one of our CBs had an INT. After the game, Manning talked about how the CB was in the wrong coverage and shouldn't have been in that area. He basically said it was the CB's fault for him throwing the pick.

Too often during games he has that look after a failed play of "I did it perfect, why did you screw it up?" I live in Texas and most of my friends couldn't care less about the Pats and even they say the same thing about Peyton.

It still doesn't take away how great a player he is and how great he is for the game.

Manning is all about himself and his stats yet at the same time the media goes overboard in promoting him every which way but loose. Manning is throwing TD passes in the 4th qtr with huge leads but it's the Patriots and NEVER the Colts who get accused of running up scores.
Manning hasn't taken half the physical punishment Tom Brady has seen yet he's not close to Brady's post-season/clutch achievements.
Manning is a regular season stat geek media creation.

I guess it's time......

poster14359312.jpg

Last edited:
In a perfect world; Peyton Manning, LaDanian Tomlinson, and Joey Porter would be on the Jets and I could focus all my hate on one team.

1 down, 2 to go.

Rex Ryan's Gut sure is taking a pounding....only one solution...and we can ALL agree....

20071024cheeseburgers.jpg

dig in before Rex Ryan's Mouth shows up....

Manning is all about himself and his stats yet at the same time the media goes overboard in promoting him every which way but loose. Manning is throwing TD passes in the 4th qtr with huge leads but it's the Patriots and NEVER the Colts who get accused of running up scores.
Manning hasn't taken half the physical punishment Tom Brady has seen yet he's not close to Brady's post-season/clutch achievements.
Manning is a regular season stat geek media creation.
:yeahthat::ditto::agree:

I don't "hate" Peyton Manning. How can any real football fan "hate" someone who has put up his numbers, started in nearly 200 straight games and challenged the Pats everytime we play them, win or lose? I'd rather beat him than hate him, which seems to me like a waste of emotional energy. Ask yourself this question: does Tom Brady "hate" Peyton Manning? In your heart of hearts you know he doesn't. That doesn't mean that he doesn't want to whip his butt six ways to Sunday, but I doubt very much he "hates" him.

Annoying? Sanctimonious? Self-righteous? Yeah, I'd use those words to describe him, but "hate", nah!

I'm tired of hearing this Polian "rules" crap. The guy is doing what he's supposed to do; he's looking out for his team and trying to maximize its chances to win. If we don't like it, we should yell at the Krafts to do the same thing on behalf of the Patriots.

As for the Jets comparisons, the Jets are pretenders while the Colts are the real deal. Mark Sanchez is a shaky second year QB; Peyton Manning is a future HOFer.

I wish Jets fans would just shut up, show that they can take us twice in a season, get into the Playoffs other than by two teams handing it to them, win the Division and Conference and then win a Super Bowl for the first time in 42 years. Then, come here and crow. Until then, the Pats have been to five AFCCG's and four Super Bowls, winning three, in the past nine years and you've done diddly squat when it really counts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes