PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why do you hate Peyton MAnning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a perfect world; Peyton Manning, LaDanian Tomlinson, and Joey Porter would be on the Jets and I could focus all my hate on one team.

1 down, 2 to go.

peyton going to the jets almost happened. in 98' the jets had the first overall pick and would have taken peyton had he not come back for his senior year. i heard that archie wanted to avoid peyton playing for bill parcells. not sure if archie's boy could have taken a tongue lashing from bill.

I don't. He's a great player and top 5 QB of all time.

I don't hate Peyton Manning. You can't argue with his talent and performance.

As others have mentioned, I dislike the completely one-sided positive coverage he receives from the media. Throw a pick late in the Super Bowl with the game on the line? Not an issue. That loss was the fault of the receivers, offensive line, defense, and play calling, not Manning. There was a regular season game a few years ago where Manning threw 6 INTS in a close loss. Afterward, someone (I think Paul Zimmerman) wrote a column praising Manning's performance.

I can see why a Jets fan would think so highly of Manning, though. If Peyton forfeited games when he played against the Patriots, my opinion of him would be higher also.

I don't hate Peyton Manning. You can't argue with his talent and performance.

As others have mentioned, I dislike the completely one-sided positive coverage he receives from the media. Throw a pick late in the Super Bowl with the game on the line? Not an issue. That loss was the fault of the receivers, offensive line, defense, and play calling, not Manning. There was a regular season game a few years ago where Manning threw 6 INTS in a close loss. Afterward, someone (I think Paul Zimmerman) wrote a column praising Manning's performance.

I can see why a Jets fan would think so highly of Manning, though. If Peyton forfeited games when he played against the Patriots, my opinion of him would be higher also.

That game was against the Chargers.

I don't hate Manning, I hate how the media kisses his ass. He's a great REGULAR season QB, maybe top 3, but he's NOT a great Playoff QB. I crack up when people compare Brady and Manning in the playoffs, and the Manning ballwashers say, if Manning had a defense like Brady had in the early 2000's, they'd have several championships. Well guess what, the Colts D didn't throw those Interceptions, Manning did. Brady is clutch in the playoffs, Manning isn't. That's why we dislike Manning.

I'm curious. He's one of my favorite players in the NFL, of course, lol. I can't agree with Pats fans on anything. So with that said; fire away!

Why is Peyton Manning one of your favorite players in the NFL? is my question.

I'm curious. He's one of my favorite players in the NFL, of course, lol. I can't agree with Pats fans on anything. So with that said; fire away!

I don't know Peyton, So I can't say whether I hate the guy or not.

I respect his game, if you don't - You’re a damn liar or Homer.

I'd be fine with him announcing his immediate retirement. :D

This is hilarious.
The OP at first poses a reasonable question for Pats fans but then proceeds to beclown himself by ignorantly referring to the 'Brady Rule' whose genesis was the Carson Palmer playoff ending hit, and then worse yet, citing the Tuck Rule, blatently ignorantly unknowlegeable that in game 2 of the 2001 Championship season Testaverde benefited from a Tuck call against the Pats which resulted in the Jets' close win. Unbelieveable.

I don't hate Manning. I respect him as the yardstick by which we can measure TFB and realize Brady's superior winning QB ways.

Sick of the media making him out to be the all american good boy.

Why do Celtics fans hate Kobe? Or Jeter of the Yankees?

Personally, I respect these guys but I cheer for them to lose. I guess it's part of being a sports fan.

Brady
Montana
Elway
Baugh
Unitas
Staubach
Marino
Bradshaw
Young
Graham

I'm not saying all these guys are better than Manning, but with that list, I also don't see room for Manning in the Top 5. I'd take Brady, Montana, Elway, Unitas, Baugh, and Graham ahead of him without a second thought. There's a case for the others as well.

I'd say his best case scenario is #7 and that's even a maybe.

No way he's top 5 all time.

I would agree with your POV but I would say top 10 QB of all time to open up
the argument for a lot of other great QB's.

• He's had everything handed to him in life.
  • He's failed on the big stage at every level.
  • He throws his teammates under the bus.
  • He's a dumb goober who makes a lot of $$ of ads highlighting the fact that he's a dumb goober. Good for him, I guess.
  • I've never once heard his teammates talk about him glowingly the way Patriots players talk about Tom Brady.
  • He seems like a compete phony.
  • He sexually harasses school nurses and then gets Daddy to run smear campaigns against said nurse.
  • He gets credit for being the most cerebral QB in the game, when he runs a very simple offensive system.
  • Tom Brady is called a system QB, despite having had 3 coordinators, multiple playbooks, and a offensive system that has changed dramatically overtime. Manning has never been called a system QB, yet has had the same OC, same playbook, same offense, and been surrounded by HOF caliber offensive weapons and 1st round picks from the instant he came into the league. Hmm.

Last edited:
I absolutely hate how he can do no wrong. The good things the Colts do are all because of Peyton; the bad things weren't his fault.

-He throws 6 picks against SD, and is somehow painted out to be a hero playing through adversity and never giving up. It's Adam Vinatieri's fault that the Colts lost because he missed a field goal at the end. Nevermind 6 INTs by Peyton. Those didn't hurt.

-The Colts will win a defensive battle in which Peyton does very little and actually has a crap game, but he still gets the credit for "battling through it". For example, the Colts beat the Browns 10-6 a few years back in a game they were trailing until late in the 4th until Robert Mathis ran back a fumble for a TD. Manning had like 120 yards and 2 picks, yet he was praised for the win. Why? He did nothing.

-People harp on the fact that Manning is so great because he does what he does without a running game. He's been given 2 straight MVPs and this was a large factor. The Colts have no running game because they don't even try to run the ball. They've ranked 30th and 31st in running the ball the last 2 years. Of course they aren't going to have an impressive running game when they don't try to. And isn't Manning the one that "calls his own plays"? So he's intentionally trying to make his running game suck by not using it to make himself look better? Is that it?

-Manning doesn't take the blame for anything. He could stand in the pocket and throw a direct pick to a defender with no Colts in sight for 20 yards and still look around to yell at teammates with that crybaby face of his. In press conferences or interviews, he'll always try to pass off the blame in as subtle a way as possible, or in the case of the Steelers playoff loss a few years back, not subtle at all. He's a crap teammate.

-The media is brainwashed by him. They desperately want to give him the MVP award every year. If he's in contention for it, he'll get it. They try to find excuses for him constantly. It was Reggie Wayne's fault in the SB. It's the defense's fault in those playoff losses even though Peyton was tossing Ints left and right and generating no points. It's the running game's fault, it's the line's fault, etc. It's NEVER his damn fault.

I also hate seeing his goofy looking face 50 times every time I try to watch football. A commercial here or there would be alright, but 2 or 3 every break? Come on. He's not funny and has the voice of a pubescent teenager.

/end rant

I guess as a Jets fan you wouldn't understand this; but Patriots fans know what it's like to follow a dominant team for a decade during the age of hypermedia, which knows it can gain audience by spinning Patriots stories in certain ways because of the resentment their success has fueled. It's just surprising when apparently intelligent fans buy in.

On the Ravens call: Why do people act like Brady's the first player ever to beg a call? As far as "reaching out and tackling the QB": IIRC, Pollard wasn't fined for his hit on Brady; Vince Wilfork was heavily fined for a very similar play against Buffalo the year before.

Has Manning ever had a rule created for him? More like an entire set of rules and emphasis to favor his style of play after the Patriots repeatedly stifled his game in crunch time (following the rules). The explosion in passing stats since 2004 has been in large part a result of rules redefined, created and emphasized to benefit Peyton Manning's style of play.

Not even mentioning the Tuck rule. I could be wrong, but I believe the Patriots were burned by this rule early in the 2001 season. And I believe the ruling went in favor of .. the Jets. So, yeah. Don't mention it.

So, I guess the message from Pats fans experienced in the ways of following a top team to newly confident Jets fans is: Don't buy into the hype. Either way. It is what it is.

Now, all that said, I don't see how a Pats fan can actually "hate" Peyton Manning. Great player, classic commercials. With this whole Manning vs Brady debate of the last decade, we just happen to think Brady's titles and team-first approach put him above "Peyton." And we want Brady to be the best. Our looking for holes in the Manning personna/game is no different than other teams' fans' questioning or mocking Brady's sometimes glam personna even as he repeatedly whips their tails. It's all fun stuff, isn't it?

Good post, esp. the last paragraph. That's what I always thought, there's no reason to actually "hate" PM.

Good post, esp. the last paragraph. That's what I always thought, there's no reason to actually "hate" PM.
I don't think anyone really HATES Manning, I don't. Hate is used to often in place of dislike.

Oh BTW I do Hate the Jests/Rats. They're a whole nother kettle of fish.

Last edited:

Pretty sure I just listed a good half-dozen reasons to dislike the guy.

Actually, I have to say that Ryan's post above was an awesome cataloging of reasons to actually hate him. Now that I think about it. :)

I guess I don't hate him personally. It's his fans that I hate. The Colts have choked for the past 12 seasons where he was the QB except for 2006 and I am constantly being told by colts fans that Peyton walks on water. They can't win the argument that the colts have achieved more than the Pats so they resort to childish statements like "we have the greatest QB ever while Tommy is going downhill." Stuff like that irks me.

The reality is that Peyton has been coddled by his GM ever since he entered the league. He has never had to go through the same difficulties that Brady did. He has had an immensely talented offense from the start including reggie wayne, dallas clarke, edgerin james and Marvin Harrison. Brady finally got good receivers in 2007 and had the best single season ever for a QB. Despite that, colts fans will absolutely tell you how much better peyton is than brady and the media reiterates that sentiment. If you were to give those same receivers to Dan Marino, you tell me who would be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes