PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why did it take 10 years to win more SuperBowls?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because it's difficult.

Years where we realistically could have won:

2006 Second half flu and I thought SD was the best team all year
2007 No words needed
2010 Played our worse game of the year at the worse time
2011 I thought Saints were the best team all year, but somehow the Giants made it again
2015 Injuries happened, and the blatant attempt to make Manning go out on top didnt help

Years where we realistically could have won:

2006 Second half flu and I thought SD was the best team all year

On the other hand (since we're talking about luck, etc.) the 2nd half flu should never have come into play because NE should never have been in that AFCCG in the first place...

Brady...suffered a separated shoulder in the 3rd qtr of the 2011 SB...

The only links I could find regarding Brady suffering a separated shoulder are those regarding Brady suffering a separated non-throwing shoulder in December of 2011. I wonder if people are mis-remembering these circumstances; if not, then I would appreciate it if someone could provide a link to the SB 46 injury.

The only links I could find regarding Brady suffering a separated shoulder are those regarding Brady suffering a separated non-throwing shoulder in December of 2011. I wonder if people are mis-remembering these circumstances; if not, then I would appreciate it if someone could provide a link to the SB 46 injury.

Dunno if it was an "official" injury, but Brady had been on a tear (16 straight completions or something) and then got planted hard on his shoulder and wasn't the same the rest of the game after that.

• Agree
Reactions: Ian

He was sacked n the third qtr and was working his shoulder after that possession, he injured (reinjured?) the left shoulder. It affected his mechanics and accuracy the rest of the game.

Last edited:
Roster attrition and injuries derailed the early dynasty.
2005: Law, Patton, Fauria, Andruzzi, Johnson, Traylor, Phifer left via free agency or retired. Bruschi was lost for half a year after his stroke and was never the same player after. Harrison and Light were lost for the year.
2006: Branch and Givens left via free agency, and McGinnest was cut. Harrison was lost for the year in week 16

Bad fortune prevented the coronation of the 2007 team and ended the 2008 season in its first quarter. Bad drafting delayed the rebuild. Look at the list of high picks that busted or disappointed during this era.
2006: Maroney, Jackson, Thomas, Mills (only Gostowski panned out)
2007: Meriweather
2008: Wheatley, McConnell, Crable (only Mayo and Slater were successful)
2009: Butler, McKenzie, Tate, plus Chung was slow to develop

The 2009 - 2013 seasons were rebuilding years. The defense took a full five years as a result of bad drafting. The offense rebuilt itself overnight - twice. It's a testament to the greatness of TB12 that the team stayed competitive during these years.

2009: don't forget Busto Brace to the list of crap drafting.

While I admire the effort, the premise of the OP is just ex post facto rationalization.

For instance, the 2003 squad was clearly "championship caliber", yet they were a Drew Bennett drop away from possibly getting bounced in their first playoff game. And what if Walt Coleman made the reasonable-if-incorrect call of a fumble in 2001? Taking advantage of one of the 8-9 missed turnover opportunities swings 42 or 46 in the other direction.

The fact is that there was nothing intrinsically "right" about the teams that finished and nothing intrinsically "wrong" about those that didn't. Winning a SB is just hard. Whether it is injuries or a bad match up or a bad game or being surprised by a good game plan or just plain luck... all sorts of things can get in the way of even the best teams.

This doesn't mean no assessment can be made about likelihood, of course; I wouldn't back the 2009 squad even given 100 simulated seasons. But that's the point, it's all just a roll of the dice. No matter how much you do to protect yourself, you can never completely remove the chance of coming up snake eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes