PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who will be yuor surprise cut?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Though you could file this one under "already a done deal", I'll post it anyway because I'd never of thought it at the beginning of TC and we all kinda watched it happen before our eyes.

Mills is GONE............... Rivers came in and STOLE his spot.

Again, no surprise from the last couple weeks, but coming into the season to now, I think it is. Its weird to think that, giving his draft spot that they'd give up on him so quick.
They haven't given up on him at all, unless I missed something. You are merely surmising that he will be a cut, and then saying how surprising it is.

The only reason for keeping Rivers is as a blocker until Kyle Brady gets healthy. Once Brady is healthy, Rivers is gone. It is possible they will cut a young prospect to have a guy for a couple weeks, but as you say, it would be very surprising.

My cut would be Vinny, keeping Guttierrez. Vinny will be around if he is cut, but Gut would be snapped up by any of a several teams, such the Falcons or Giants.

Tory James was brought in as a possible replacement for Asante

but will suffer the same fate as Eric Warfield from last year.

I think it would be truly shocking if he made the team.

They were a lot easier to predict back in 2000/2001...

No it wasn't. It was just as hard. The difference was deciding which mediocre players were going to make the team, compared to which pretty good players are not.

The thing with Childress and Kight and Jones is they are dime a dozen type players in the NFL. While they do have youth and upside on their side, they are no different than tons of other young and improving youngsters at the WR spot in the NFL. All teams have their Childress and Kight players who have upside but who aren't quite yet ready for primetime. The best chance these guys have of sticking is on ST's. Check out the waiver wire later on today and you'll see 70 or so such WR's occupying it. I would expect Childress and Kight to be on that list.

That's a fair point, but assuming Moss, Stallworth, Welker, and Gaffney are all healthy, what's the point? I doubt we'll have 5 WR active very often, and I doubt we'll ever have 6. I realize we have the cap space to do it, but does it make sense to pay Washington/Caldwell's salary to stand on the sidelines in street clothes? Not to mention that Belichick tends to be an honorable guy as far as veterans are concerned, and he won't keep them if they're not going to play. My guess is that Washington goes and Childress stays. Keeping Caldwell for insurance against Moss/Stallworth's hammies.

My surprise cut is Marcellus Rivers.

There is a case of a guy looking good against cruddy opposition-- not to mention the fumble.

Rivers played almost the entire first half against Carolina and he was doing the heavy duty blocking (and doing it well I might add).

Last edited:
That's a fair point, but assuming Moss, Stallworth, Welker, and Gaffney are all healthy, what's the point? I doubt we'll have 5 WR active very often, and I doubt we'll ever have 6. I realize we have the cap space to do it, but does it make sense to pay Washington/Caldwell's salary to stand on the sidelines in street clothes? Not to mention that Belichick tends to be an honorable guy as far as veterans are concerned, and he won't keep them if they're not going to play. My guess is that Washington goes and Childress stays. Keeping Caldwell for insurance against Moss/Stallworth's hammies.

Hey, DH.

In answer to the question posed in your initial sentence about "what's the point?" I woudl say that the point is nothing more than to keep the best 5/6 players possible. BB's MO since he's been here is that he'll keep the best players regardless of draft stature or salary cap hit. In this case I truly believe that he'd be keeping the 5/6 best players if he kept Moss, Stallworth, Welker, Gaffney, Caldwell, and Washington. No dispresect to Childress and Jones and Kight but those 3 guys are dime a dozen players in this league. With what should probably be 70 or so WR's being suddenly available tonight, I don't think any of these 3 would be hot candidates to be swept up by a competiting team. I don't think the same could be said of Caldwell, Gaffney or Washington.

I also think the injury risk that both Moss and Stallworth bring to the situation might be enough to make BB feel as though he should keep proven and experienced guys like a Caldwell, Gaffney or Washington just in case.

IMHO.

We know that Pioli wants to be in on all the personnel powwows today and tomorrow.
(Isn't that what V-Ps - Personnel do?)

But i rather imagine that he is spending most of his time on the phone
... trying to find trades for some surplus WRs and OLs -
while trying to sound as if it was your idea to call, not his.

Surprise cut?
For me, Mel Mitchell - whom i've had making the roster for a long time.
Last night, though, it appeared to me that Dante Wesley took his job.

I foresee the 53rd man kept being Garrett Mills.
Yes, Rivers outpointed him so far. But that matters only if we keep 3 TEs.

Myriad permutations created by Asante's exemption extending (according to Reiss)
thru Sept. 10 ... or until Asante is activated.
Seems to mean that we can have 54 for a short while, if we like.

As the season progresses, I think the "Adalius Thomas effect" wil start benefitting Colvin in a big way.

I do expect a great year from him.

If he's playing ILB it will be more of a benefit to Vrabel who can get back to rushing the passer.

Re: Who will be your surprise cut?

Mills should be cut based on his performance compared to others like Rivers, but he won't be gone. They can easily stash him on the PS since he really hasn't shown another team a reason to pick him up.

Childress should be a surprise cut because he does not have PS eligibility after 2 years. He will get picked up by some other team and cult Bam will fade away :(

Mills should be cut based on his performance compared to others like Rivers, but he won't be gone. They can easily stash him on the PS since he really hasn't shown another team a reason to pick him up.

Childress should be a surprise cut because he does not have PS eligibility after 2 years. He will get picked up by some other team and cult Bam will fade away :(
actually he does have PSqd eligibity via the Yates rule...3rd year..

actually he does have PSqd eligibity via the Yates rule...3rd year..

good to hear. BC to the PS!

Ok Nut, brace yourself, you asked for it.... Harrison!!!!!!

Yea, he's been acting like a 20yr old out there and everyone is giving him all kinds of respect. Plus most people are picking the Pats as SB contenders.
He even took the last game off in a desperate attempt to find disrespect somewhere, somehow, to carry him along. Today he asks BB to cut him so he can leave like he came in, angry, p1ssed as hell and happy with it!

By the way, the spell check police might get on yuor title!

I come back from 18 holes of golf and not only is my favorite player being dissed by my typing is being corrected. My wife is a school teacher so I'm used to being corrected.

But, dissing Rodney is way over the line. I hope that you washed out your mouth with soap and stood in the corner for an hour for that.:D

I come back from 18 holes of golf and not only is my favorite player being dissed by my typing is being corrected. My wife is a school teacher so I'm used to being corrected.

But, dissing Rodney is way over the line. I hope that you washed out your mouth with soap and stood in the corner for an hour for that.:D

Box--As I've said before, Rodney is instantly aware of any disrespect he receives, from anyone, anywhere in the world. He is on his way now to, ahem, "fix" the problem. :D

Last edited:
Colvin, IMO, is one of the most underrated players on this team. When he came here he was considered (and had been) a pass rusher who was just so-so vs the run. In his time here he has become one of the top run defenders at the OLB position in the NFL.
Those who like to tape and rewatch the game, check out Colvin's run D. He does a great job of taking on and shedding the blocker. Our D isn't designed for you to make tackles on plays run toward your hole. It is designed to do what Colvin does, own that 2 gap area and force the play to where it wasn't designed to go.
Thats the key to our run D. When you see RBs bouncing to holes the play wasnt designed for, or continuing outside all the way to the sidelines, we are owning that teams run offense. Colvin does a tremendous job of controlling his blocker and forcing the play somewhere else.

Couldn't agree more.......I am a bit shocked that anyone would be picking Colvin to get the axe this year or next....even as a way out there "shocker"....

As I get ready to go play a round of golf, I have gone over the roster and am having a hard time cutting to 53. Each year there seems to be a surprise cut and someone makes the 53 who was not generally expected to.

My surprise cut is Izzo. Not that I think he's not worthy to make the team but if we don't cut him, we will have to cut one younger more promising players.

Who is your surprise cut?

Reche Caldwell.

How about Chad Jackson, cut around week 8 after returning from PUP? :)

Unless I have missed something, I don't see any major surprises in terms of who may get cut. Like Nut, I think Izzo may get cut. We seem to have quite a few prospects like Lua, Richardson, Chad Jackson and David Thomas who can be put on PUP/IR/PS etc etc.
One of the things I like about the D in particular is versality, when you have guys like Wilson and Meriweather who can fill in at corner or nickel. Andy Johnson already alluded to AD and his versatility. I remember the first preseason game, when he blitzed from ILB and really took the guard on, almost driving him back into (?) Chris Simms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye