PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who will be yuor surprise cut?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keeping him in 2008 costs us $5.5M. If he experiences any significant drop off this season from his 2006 level, I think we cut him. (If he plays at or close to his 2006 level, I agree that we keep him).

[Yes I know that the original poster was joking. I am not.]

Or he restructures, like a good little Patriot.

Well, I did say "But not this year". Meaning that maybe he'll be a salary cap victim down the road.

But I do love Colvin and hope he's here for a very long time.

You are forgetting that he no 8 in the top 10 defensive player to create presure on QB`s . How can you say that you do not think a top 10 player in qb presure is not worth the $$$$.

Last edited:
Every time I read this kind of post I think to myself, boy there really are some clueless people who post here.

Every time I read this kind of post I think to myself, boy there really are some clueless people who post here.

Thanks for that contribution. I agree.

This is very much a "what-have-you-done-for-me-lately" league, and so with that in mind, my surprise cut would be that Brady guy. The last time I saw him in competitive action he tossed an interception that kept us out of the Superbowl.

So he must be at risk.

So we are going to cut OCallaghan who was starting as a rookie, and shows great promise and would without a doubt be the first man off the bench in order to keep a late round draft pick? OCallaghan was last years draft pick, and was a successful pick.
All this because you dont want to move your RT to LT if there is a LT injury?

What do you do if you cut O'C and a T gets hurt? Throw the 6th round draft pick who has shown nothing in there?

Of course that qualifies as a shocker. You dont cut your 6th best OL to keep a project around.

No I would use Wesley Britt, a guy who has been with the team a few years. Obviously there must be some comfort level with the coaching staff.

If O'Callaghan showed such great promise, why couldn't he hold the job ? KAczur is the starter now, right? Why did they draft two OTs ? I think O'Callaghan has looked very mediocre.

I thought the title of the thread was 'surprise' cut ?

The thing with Childress and Kight and Jones is they are dime a dozen type players in the NFL. While they do have youth and upside on their side, they are no different than tons of other young and improving youngsters at the WR spot in the NFL. All teams have their Childress and Kight players who have upside but who aren't quite yet ready for primetime. The best chance these guys have of sticking is on ST's. Check out the waiver wire later on today and you'll see 70 or so such WR's occupying it. I would expect Childress and Kight to be on that list.

No I would use Wesley Britt, a guy who has been with the team a few years. Obviously there must be some comfort level with the coaching staff.

If O'Callaghan showed such great promise, why couldn't he hold the job ? KAczur is the starter now, right? Why did they draft two OTs ? I think O'Callaghan has looked very mediocre.

I thought the title of the thread was 'surprise' cut ?

This is what I am talking about, so you want to cut a second year player who has been fighting all preseason for a starting position so you can keep a 3rd?? year player (I think thats what Britt is) who is obviously not as good as O'Callaghan and hasn't been competing for a starting job. I must be missing something.

And we aren't cutting Colvin.

And Kelvin Kight isn't going to make the team.

And Bam Childress only looks good against 3rd and 4th string players. He won't make the team.

This is what I am talking about, so you want to cut a second year player who has been fighting all preseason for a starting position so you can keep a 3rd?? year player (I think thats what Britt is) who is obviously not as good as O'Callaghan and hasn't been competing for a starting job. I must be missing something.

And Bam Childress only looks good against 3rd and 4th string players. He won't make the team.

Bam's longest reception of the game came against NY starters. And their 1st teamers where the ones that started the game.

I cannot respond to comments about Colvin, Kight or Childress since I did not mention them, so i'll let those folks speak for themselves.

However, I suggested O'Callaghan could be a *surprise* cut and gave several reasons (tricky injury history, mediocre preseason play, inability to play more than RT, inability to hold starters job, drafting of multiple OTs, etc...) I gave support to my surprise pick. You came back with Britt is "obviously not as good" as O'Callaghan. Did Dante tell you this ?

So O'Callaghan has been fighting for a starting job, but Britt and the draftees have not ? O'Callaghan has shown some run blocking skills, but his pass blocking needs serious work, IMO. Perhaps O'Callaghan's skills would fit better on another team.

O'Callaghan is on my 53-man roster too, meaning that I think it is more likely than not he stays. But what part of "surprise cut" don't you seem to get ? Obviously, if I thought it was a no-brainer that O'Callaghan would be cut I would not have suggested that it would be a surprise.

Rather than sit on your ivory throne castigating people for tossing out ideas, why don't you put down the gavel and give us *your* surprise cuts? if you don't have one then this thread doesn't appear to be your cup of tea...

Last edited:
Bam Childress looks like a young Troy Brown to me. I'd like to see him stick. He's smart and has a GREAT attitude on the field.

My surprise cut is Marcellus Rivers.

There is a case of a guy looking good against cruddy opposition-- not to mention the fumble.

Surprise cut is cornerback Brandon Meriweather.

Tory James was brought in as a possible replacement for Asante

but will suffer the same fate as Eric Warfield from last year.

Wow I guess the gauntlet has been thrown down. Now its my turn

I would say Mills is my surprise cut, but I don't think his cut would be a surprise.

Izzo and Caldwell could be cut I guess but I don't think either will be.

Based on what some of you predict, my surprise cuts are Bam Childress, and Kelvin Kight.

I expect a great year from our LBs as a group.

We have more versatility than I've ever seen. Thomas and Vrable can play inside or outside at the drop of a hat. All 5 top LBs are effective both in pass rushing or coverage.

With Thomas able to play ILB, OLB, DE or even a SS-type role, we can play the same 11 guys, and play 4-3, 3-4, or nickel out of the same personell. On top of that, we can move LBs around to different spots to create more confusion of where we are coming from.
Basically in the 3-4 one of the LBs is a 'designated pass rusher' on any given play, without a blitz. Many 3-4 teams have one guy who rushes every play. More than ever we could bring anyone from anywhere as the 4th rusher, and not create issues. Whichever one rushes is a good pass rusher, and whichever 3 are in coverage are good in coverage.

Our LB's have been totally disrespected by just about all the media.

They are old and slow and simply not good they say. Then they tell us how good AD is and Colvin and Vrabes - with Bruschi still having brains but lost a few steps.

I say NO WAY - I think with AD, this group will now dominate - this is not a group that should be playing with a chip on their shoulders.

I think as a group, the position flexibilty (add Rodney playing up to the mix) will be incredible this year, absolutley amazing!! Double teams have to be given to our D' linemen, so our LB's will be one on one with mismathces frequent.

Too much experience, brains and braun to go along with the smartest LB'er crew in the NFL for them not to excel IMHO.

Wow I guess the gauntlet has been thrown down. Now its my turn

Thanks for picking it up....

I think they could sneak Mills on to the PS. He's kind of a tweener that might not fit a lot of teams mold.

I would put Izzo in the category of surprise cut. Highly unlikely, but certainly possible.

Last edited:
And the punchline is he cut himself shaving??? Are you nuts??

The punchline (thank you for asking) is we could play him at safety, which is what he is and keep a cornerback or go get one.

No way we keep four QBs and only three cornerbacks. With our history? We put 5 on IR in 2005.

If James is that bad, keep Wesley as the Chad Scott "big" cornerback or pick up somebody's cut.

Seems to be room for extras, or everybody that deserves it, at DL, WR, and LB so why not go a little safety rich? Most of the "safeties" are really special teamers anyway and Wesley will strengthen that more.

Meriweather on his confidence at CB.

[The 5-foot-11-inch, 200-pound Meriweather looked like a natural, which was to be expected since that is where he spent most of his career at the University of Miami. Of his 31 collegiate starts, 27 came at safety.

"It felt good being back there, able to see everything, roam, and play how I played in college," he said. "It's a spot I have fun playing."

"When I came here and got put at corner, it was kind of a mind shocker," he said.]

If I ruled the world, I'd keep Wesley, (or pick up a CB) switch Wilson back to cornerback and cut Vinnie.

Then before Samuel's exemption runs out on the tenth, pick the best time to cut Gutierrez (sp) so we can get him on the practice squad.

This gives us 5 experienced (college or pro) cornerbacks, 5 safeties including all the best Special teamers a young QB on the PS and Vinnie on speed dial.

And I don't see a deficit at any other positions. Mills could maybe make the practice squad, but i don't see him haveing a position right now with Rivers and Heath.

Mills would be a great addition late season if we have injuries.

Last edited:
What would be gained by cutting Izzo, by the way? I think some people just like saying "cut Izzo".

What more valuable player would take his roster spot?

Ok Nut, brace yourself, you asked for it.... Harrison!!!!!!

Yea, he's been acting like a 20yr old out there and everyone is giving him all kinds of respect. Plus most people are picking the Pats as SB contenders.
He even took the last game off in a desperate attempt to find disrespect somewhere, somehow, to carry him along. Today he asks BB to cut him so he can leave like he came in, angry, p1ssed as hell and happy with it!

By the way, the spell check police might get on yuor title!

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes